Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26

Author Topic: Angry Laser Space - v1.1 is a go! (a game by Shook and Chartle)  (Read 57174 times)

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
Re: Angry Laser Space - a WIP game by yers truly
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2013, 06:59:53 pm »

Posting to watch. I beat it on baby mode so I don't feel accomplished but wow it gets hard.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #136 on: July 03, 2013, 09:03:26 am »

It gets harder. ;o
Also, i really need to get up a brief tutorial screen before starting the first level, because an astounding amount of people miss out on the fact that you can click both mouse buttons for MORE SHOOTAN, and also press E or F to fire turret or front super shots at the expense of energy (that blue bar next to your health). Super shots really help a lot, partly because you can get a fair bit more cash by using them at the right time(s).

@MZ: Glad to hear that! The update might unfortunately not be out before... August, perhaps, since i'll be on vacation from July 8th-24th, and won't be able to work on it there. Believe me though, it's a big one, so it might be worth the wait! (i naively hope so, anyways)

Also, tuning in once again to say that i have received the boss from Chartle, and good fucking marshmallow king this guy is one seriously ferocious bastard! Without revealing too much, i can say that it has two instant kill attacks, whereas one of them is very legitimate threat to your life (the other is just a large beam ala the second boss, which can be survived on the lowest difficulty), along with raging torrent of firepower headed in your general direction. In other words, it's a bona fide one-man army, it really doesn't like you, and it's RED. Be afraid, be very afraid. I've yet to beat it on Nightmare, so perhaps it needs a slight nerf.

Other than that, things left to do:
- Levels 16-19
- Last tier upgrades in shop
- Start menu for difficulties and such
- Last few mooks for the last few levels
- TUTORIAL SCREEN
- A few options
- Include Chartle in the credits list :U

So a moderate amount of stuff, mostly GUI things. It'll be necessary to accomodate the new features, though.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 03, 2013, 09:04:43 am »

Awesome.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #138 on: July 29, 2013, 01:55:30 pm »

hi guise just popping by to say

LASER RAVE PARTAY (yes your shots glow too)

Also, Chartle added a tutorial in my absence, which is totally awesome. If all goes well from this point on, the update will be done here in August, and it will bring the game up to version 0.9. c:
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 29, 2013, 01:55:58 pm »

YYYYAAAYYYYY
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #140 on: August 07, 2013, 07:54:40 pm »

Ok so progress is suddenly slow, but i believe i may have made a breakthrough!

Last mook to be added. c:
Maybe not to correct scale, but i like the idea of the aliens getting really fucking serious after level 15. So, the Leviathan, as it's called for now, is a mostly classic snaky ship. It'll either swipe across the screen in a sinuous motion, or pop out in a parabolic arc for a quick potshot. Given the size of the ship, this potshot is likely a very big potshot.

Also, the middle sections are covered by deflector shields on their sides, so it is REALLY DIFFICULT to kill it by shooting those. The tail end can be shot up, but it won't destroy the entire Leviathan. To do that, you'll have to destroy its head, because smashing a middle section will just destroy everything BEHIND it, but not in front of it. Destroying the head of an otherwise intact Leviathan will thus result in a moderately spectacular chain reaction, although you're still at a slight risk of the remaining sections crashing into you before exploding.

And, speaking of collisions, being rammed by the Leviathan is likely to be fatal, and running into the side of it hurts a lot, given the deflector shields. The head itself is more or less MADE for smashing through smaller ships, so dodging it would be very wise indeed. On top of that, the head is also pretty tough to destroy, but less so than the middle sections. Since the Leviathan might well be an elite mook that keeps harassing you until you destroy it, the toughness of the head will make it difficult to destroy quickly without super shots. The tail is probably more fragile, and destroying it will at least free you from the potshot that it keeps taking at you, but not the risk of being rammed, which it might attempt more aggressively if you manage to destroy the tail gun.

So yeah, that's the Leviathan. Very dangerous, high priority target, fitting for the last few levels. Just so you don't get too comfortable in your super powerful space ride. ;o

also yes it's partly inspired by Beat Hazard

SO NOW, the only two concepts left are the last "other upgrade" and the final boss. The boss is for a later update, though, so yeah.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 08, 2013, 12:31:59 pm »

Will other normal enemies appear while this bad boy is doing its thing, or will it be a one-on-one gunfight?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #142 on: August 08, 2013, 03:29:24 pm »

At first it might be a duel, so as to introduce the hellish thing, but you'll definitely be facing other mooks as well later on. I'm gonna have to use "later on" carefully by now though, there really aren't that many levels left to work with. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2013, 02:48:07 pm »

IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIIVE

Not QUITE done yet, but the bastard keeps coming after you until one of you dies. The trickiest part was to get the snaky movement right. :c
Now to make all the chain explosion things and make the shields deflect your shots. And some fancy linky effects between them. The best part is that there will be a yellow version of this guy at level 19, which will hopefully not take as long to make as the green here did. :U
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 15, 2013, 01:08:58 pm »

Can you be hit by your own deflected shots?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #145 on: August 15, 2013, 04:28:50 pm »

Not at the moment, but i'm thinking that yellow deflectors might change that notion, hehe. They will turn up at level 17, along with the yellow Leviathan at level 19.

Also, Chartle says that he has made some new game menu things, which is totally awesome, since it means we have less to do than i previously thought. We might actually finish up here in August after all! (with that said, i make no guarantees, it could easily drag on into september)
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 15, 2013, 08:03:23 pm »

Do you have plans to open-source-ify this project eventually? Or was that the original plan?
I have no interest in modding myself, but seeing what other people do is always interesting.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #147 on: August 18, 2013, 08:02:43 am »

That's an interesting question, actually. We MAY do that at some point once we're very definitely finished working on it, but it'll be a while before that happens. Once we are done though, i definitely wouldn't mind seeing what other creative heads could do, even though the general structure of it inside Game Maker is... Messy. And it's Game Maker, so a large percentage of skilled programmers would probably circlestrafe it horribly because they're like "it's easier than C++#-&% so it sucks >:C". Then i point them in the direction of Hotline Miami, Iji and Gunpoint. I am only 90% on Gunpoint, but it has the exact same mouse-lag bug as my game does, and probably others too. Now obviously, Angry Laser Space is not at all comparable to that bunch of games, but they do show that Game Maker isn't a lost cause.

*ramblerambleramblerambleramble*

Anyways, the leviathan is now ALMOST fully functioning, since its shields reflects all your normal projectiles nicely... But not beams. It reflects beams on ONE side, even though i've clearly defined arcs on both sides of the shielded sections. IT IS A THING THAT BOTHERS ME, but it will bend to my will.
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2013, 03:07:14 pm »

IT HAS BENT TO MY WILL

also yellow things

This means that you need to be careful around yellow deflectors, especially on higher difficulties. So, we now have all mooks done, which means that we can begin making levels once our files have been merged. c:
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page

Cthulufaic

• Bay Watcher
  • whats a touhou
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 25, 2013, 01:12:40 pm »

Nooo! Not the yellow things!  Anything but the yellow things!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 26