Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Optional Options or Do you have the willpower not to be  (Read 5583 times)

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Optional Options or Do you have the willpower not to be
« on: August 17, 2006, 11:04:00 am »

Carebear's more of an MMO term, but you get the picture. There was some discussion in this thread about options for controlling imigration and Toady posed the question of "what's wrong with adding extra options if they're easy" and I have some opinion on the matter, and it's similar, in fact, to the arguments for or against auto-saving and save/load features.

See, one of the reasons Dead Rising gets complaints is that the save system "sucks" (I happen to love it and think it's brilliant). You die and you lose lots of work, boohoo. IMO, games are too easy. I like the challenge. The fun thing about DR is that when you die, you have the option to load or restart from the beginning with all your new stats and skills, so it diminishes it. But for a "roguelike" (DF is not a roguelike, really, just ASCII, random, and brutal, like all good Roguelikes), the story leading to death and the knowledge you gain through playing are the "experience levels" etc.

So, now you know where I stand on save anywhere (NO! Only "Iron Man" type things where it's save and exit), so what about options? Well, the argument against save anywhere is that, with the option to save, gamers have no willpower (we don't) and we'll save the moment things get hectic (most of us will). So to really make things count, you have to spread out saving. With options, especially an option to control immigration, which can be one of the most dangerous aspects of DF, it'd be very hard for most to accept the challenge making the game more watered down. The watered down game will have less to offer, because a player will be able to experience everything in one play-through. So, options to make the game easy cannot be "easy" to use. There has to be some balance.

Balance, IMO, is more options. Only more options AT THE BEGINNING rather than during. Have there be a difficulty setting, maybe. Make there be a "carebear"/beginner mode where it's fairly easy to get a working fort and learn the inner workings, but maybe no nobles will be sent. Then you have your "normal" level, which is where everything's at now and maybe a "what the hell am I thinking" setting for the few who are able to master the game. Maybe add a few more high end creatures or something to the game just to give people are reason.

On the other hand, options that might simplify play, rather than making it easier to win and survive, are a-OK in my book.

I'm interested in starting a discussion about this, because I really find that the mindset of people when they play a game interesting, and the quick-save crutch thing is quite interesting to me. I happen to like perma-death and things like that, but I'm a masochist. Hell, I play Dwarf Fortress. I have to be :-)

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Optional Options or Do you have the willpower not to be
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 11:07:00 am »

The obvious solution would be to release two versions of the game, one with options and one without.   :p

Zonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 11:09:00 am »

I'd like lots and lots and lots of possible starting options. Then people could change them in game, though that would be cheating - but since it's a single player game, that's no problem at all. I think that everyone should have as much freedom as he could - just because someone doesn't like 'easy'options or cheat/debugs doesn't mean he should make the others not get them too. Also, knowing you could make the game easier and you have the willpower not too might be good for your self-esteem :-)

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2006, 12:18:00 pm »

Am i the only one who liked type writer ribbons from Resident Evil?   :cool:

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2006, 12:50:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by John Gaden:
<STRONG>Am i the only one who liked type writer ribbons from Resident Evil?    :cool:</STRONG>

Dead Rising is similar, you can only save in bathrooms and at the safehouse, but you can do it whenever you want. However, since the game is constantly progressing, you sometimes have to decide between saving and risking missing something or plodding on and possibly losing hours of progress. It makes the game so much more tense and, IMO, fun.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2006, 01:01:00 pm »

The problem with true "Iron Man" is that so often it just makes you replay what you have already played. That's not challenging, it's just tedious--Iron Man style saving adds playing time, but it itself doesn't actually add any new gameplay. In a very varied game (as most roguelikes are), this isn't such a problem because there's already so much of a difference in gameplay to experience that having some extra restarts actually does add to the experience because you get to try new things, but even exceptional games reach a certain point where you've already experienced everything the early game has to offer and so every time you have to restart is just time wasted doing the same boring things you've already done multiple times before.

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2006, 01:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by RPB:
<STRONG>The problem with true "Iron Man" is that so often it just makes you replay what you have already played. That's not challenging, it's just tedious--Iron Man style saving adds playing time, but it itself doesn't actually add any new gameplay. In a very varied game (as most roguelikes are), this isn't such a problem because there's already so much of a difference in gameplay to experience that having some extra restarts actually does add to the experience because you get to try new things, but even exceptional games reach a certain point where you've already experienced everything the early game has to offer and so every time you have to restart is just time wasted doing the same boring things you've already done multiple times before.</STRONG>

There are parts of that that I agree with and some that I don't. See, provided you're not crashing and losing work due to some glitch, I don't see a problem with playing bits over again. Particularly if the reason you have to do it all over again because you messed up somehow. Your actions have consequence, or should, for the game to really be fun, so if you decide that you want to try to kill the human trading caravan you can. However, you should have to live with the results rather than having some hotkey to reload everything to the state it was 20 seconds ago.

Look at the difference between speed runs of games done live and those done through emus. I love speed runs done via emus where someone exploits every possible loophole in the game to get through, say, Mario 64 in 16 minutes. It's cool, but its not really fun. What IS fun is trying to get through Contra on one life as quick as possible. Sure, you'll probably die and have to restart a few times, but it's the challenge that's fun moreso even than the game.

With "Iron Man" save and exit saving, you have the benefit of being able to stop on your own time, which is important to me and one of the few complaints I have about games without quicksaves, but don't have the ability, unless you put forth effort copying your save to a backup folder every time you save, to try something risky without any real risk. That's what the whole thing is about, it's the risk vs. reward thing. If you risk alot and try to do something difficult that might not work, you deserve a big reward, but if you're going to try the risk time after time reloading whenever you suffer the negative effects, it can get lame fast.

I used to play X-Com like that. Then I started playing in an Iron Man-like way letting the soldiers that died die, even when my fastest guy with super high firing accuracy died, I just kept going. It was the most fun I had ever had with that game, which is saying alot. X-Com (the original) is still awesome.

John Gaden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2006, 01:27:00 pm »

The mere mention of xcom makes me entirely too nostalgiac, and im not even that old. I think adventurer mode should be kept to the standard rogue, permadeath system, and the fort mode to a more standard save-when-you-want system.

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2006, 01:52:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by macbony:
<STRONG>Your actions have consequence, or should, for the game to really be fun, so if you decide that you want to try to kill the human trading caravan you can. However, you should have to live with the results rather than having some hotkey to reload everything to the state it was 20 seconds ago.</STRONG>

No, not really. The human trading caravan doesn't show up until the second year--that's hours of playing time. Please explain to me why, if I want to see what the humans fight like, I have to waste hours getting a game to the point where humans show up. Is the experience of watching human swordsmen gleefully butchering a bunch of dwarves really so special that you shouldn't get to see it unless you're willing to throw several hours down the toilet just to see it? The idea of "no pain, no gain" gaming is fundamentally flawed. The goal of a well-designed game should be to provide novel experience continuously; if you can send the player back to an early point and have it play differently this time, that helps the game deliver more gameplay. But if you send the player back and they have to just redo exactly what they did before with nothing new to see or do, that adds absolutely nothing to the experience.

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2006, 02:04:00 pm »

"no pain no gain" hardcore gamers willing to play the same thing over and over and over to see how far they can get are a very small minority.  Grossly over-represented on forums and such as, being 'hard core' they are much more interested and active in the intial community.  

There's nothing wrong with a hardcore MODE, but why not also have a mode for those other 90% of gamers too who really don't enjoy playing the first 4 levels of a game over and over and over because they can't quite do the tricky jump on level 4, and every time they die they have to start over.  A small group is willing to try over and over and over and get a huge sense of pride when they do it, but most people, after a few tries, simply move onto a more fun or forgiving game.

Dwarf Chunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2006, 02:10:00 pm »

I am in my 4th or 5th fortress now. It's going really well, I am currently building a road, i have several nobles, everyone is happy. I have artifacts, masterpieces, enough food, etc. I got there by learning from my mistakes in older fortresses and I really enjoy reading about my ill-fated outpost in the legends. If I could save all the time, then all there would be is one fortress. Probably a pretty good one, though I don't really know what happens in the "end game", but just one anyway. And then I would have done the best I am able to do already, because I would just hit reload whenever something bad happens. So, what real reason do I have to try another fortress? Yeah, you could come up with a few, but they would just turn out all pretty well too. This would really destroy some appeal for me, as I know I still couldn't resist to reload. It starts with "just this once" and then you do it all the time.

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2006, 02:24:00 pm »

Originally posted by RPB:
<STRONG>
No, not really. The human trading caravan doesn't show up until the second year--that's hours of playing time. Please explain to me why, if I want to see what the humans fight like, I have to waste hours getting a game to the point where humans show up.</STRONG>/quote]

Well, you don't. If your intention is to see what they fight like, then save your game and exit out as per usual, load back up, do it, and then exit out without saving. The idea that there should be hotkeys to make saving and loading easy so that you can test the game like this in every situation makes the game not really last. All you have to do is make some basic conditions and then you can pretty much experience everything without ever taking risk.

If there's no reward, or if it's impossible to kill the humans, then I'd agree. But if you defeat the humans, you should be getting all the goods they had. That's a big bump. So should you be able to save right before the caravan comes, try to kill them, fail and reload, try again, fail and reload and repeat ad nauseum? No. But if you save once, give it a try and fail just to see, well that's playing the game and you're perfectly able to do that under the current system. However, a "quicksave/load" is a different beast all together and ruins the challenge. You can try everything whenever you want without consequence. With having to exit to save, you can still "cheat" but it's more time consuming and discourages such behavior.

<STRONG>Is the experience of watching human swordsmen gleefully butchering a bunch of dwarves really so special that you shouldn't get to see it unless you're willing to throw several hours down the toilet just to see it? </STRONG>

Again, you miss the basic idea that there already is saving in the game. It's not like you can't ever go back. But, there's no quicksave so you can't just try things and reload whenever they don't go your way. To compare, it's like you're playing Nethack and you have a wand of wishing. Now, everyone knows that just because you wish for something doesn't mean the mean ol' RNG is going to give it to you. She's a harsh mistress after all. So, playing the "Iron Man" way would allow you to save and exit so you have your backup incase something bad happens (even that I concider spineless, but it's a game so it's not supposed to be completely masochistic and therefore should be allowed) and then you make your wish and live with what happens unless it ends your game. The other way, the carebear way, is to have F5 reload so that you wish 100 times, reloading after each failed wish, until you get exactly what you wanted.

<STRONG>The idea of "no pain, no gain" gaming is fundamentally flawed. The goal of a well-designed game should be to provide novel experience continuously; if you can send the player back to an early point and have it play differently this time, that helps the game deliver more gameplay. But if you send the player back and they have to just redo exactly what they did before with nothing new to see or do, that adds absolutely nothing to the experience.</STRONG>

Are you arguing that the game doesn't provide novel experiences? The game's not linear, so there's no reason why something not working is going to hold you back. In a game like Half-Life, where you have a start and an end and nothing branching in between, a quicksave is useful. I HATE jumping puzzles in FPSes. Remember those trip mine sections where you had to move around boxes to get over them? I would have killed someone if there wasn't a quicksave. But in a game where taking a major risk could have HUGE rewards requires that those risks ACTUALLY MATTER.

Another example, and the final one for this post at least, is Europa 1400. In it you play, pretty much, one of the dwarves in this game. Only your goal is to run your business well enough and then ?. You can become king,
marry rich chicks, etc. But if you want to marry the rich girl, it takes most of the beginning of your game courting them because you're poor and she's wealthy, then you have to spend tons of cash on presents and stuff. If you try that and it doesn't work, well, you have to play again. But if it works, you've pretty much won the game now. There's almost no way to lose.

Now, imagine that your dwarves have a 1% chance of killing that cart, and if that 1% hits, the next ~5 years of the game are going to be cake. It's like finding a warp zone in Mario 3. Sometimes, if the game's not going well, you might think to yourself, "1% is good enough since I'm not going to make it otherwise" and you make take the chance. High risk, but the reward might save the game for you. It's exciting! Now, if I could save and reload quickly enough that it took ~2 minutes to almost garontee that I'd beat the humans just because I've tried enough times, there's a huge reward and zero risk. So, to then balance the game, either the humans have to be invincible (this is what most games do, when the reward's too much because the game doesn't have real risk, you can't allow players to ever get the reward) or you have to have real, actual consequences. You should be saying to yourself "do I REALLY want to do that" whenver the reward's bigger than something that'll save you 4 minutes of time.

macbony

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2006, 02:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dwarf Chunk:
<STRONG>I am in my 4th or 5th fortress now. It's going really well, I am currently building a road, i have several nobles, everyone is happy. I have artifacts, masterpieces, enough food, etc. I got there by learning from my mistakes in older fortresses and I really enjoy reading about my ill-fated outpost in the legends. If I could save all the time, then all there would be is one fortress. Probably a pretty good one, though I don't really know what happens in the "end game", but just one anyway. And then I would have done the best I am able to do already, because I would just hit reload whenever something bad happens. So, what real reason do I have to try another fortress? Yeah, you could come up with a few, but they would just turn out all pretty well too. This would really destroy some appeal for me, as I know I still couldn't resist to reload. It starts with "just this once" and then you do it all the time.</STRONG>

My long post was right after this and I don't want it missed. Remember, dying is fun.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2006, 02:52:00 pm »

Right now, the save system is an absolute pain for me. Why? 400mhz celeron processor makes the export process take about five, ten minutes. Then if you wanted to load back up, it takes another ten. Not fun. At all. Especially when a random crash kicks an entire evening's work down the drain.

I'm completely for anything that would speed this process up, kthx. Games should not be endurance tests. Granted my system is far from typical, but there are others out there still, and many of them like roguelikes.  ;)

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Fourth Triad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2006, 06:52:00 pm »

When I started play testing df I always loaded when shit went bad, but then legends was added, and it became fun to die. Toad added autosaves once during playtesting and it bogged down the game, which is already kinda slow. Maybe an opition to have it update your old save once in a while won't be so bad, but it should not be forced on the player.
Pages: [1] 2 3