Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....  (Read 19650 times)

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....
« Reply #75 on: April 03, 2012, 09:01:46 am »

Or make everyone into masons and spam out blacks.
ಠ_ಠ

I don't think that was intentional, but it garners the look just the same.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 03, 2012, 09:07:07 am »

Or make everyone into masons and spam out blacks.
ಠ_ಠ

I don't think that was intentional, but it garners the look just the same.

Doh hoh hoh hoh hoh.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 03, 2012, 09:10:08 am »

/thread
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 03, 2012, 09:12:32 am »

I can't find any reference by Toady as to which hauling bugs/inefficiencies he is trying to address, aside from having bins and bags used to collect multiple items. I wonder if a single dwarf puts a TSK on all items that he plans to collect at the start of the haul, or just keeps making the decision on the way.

I hope block bins are exempt from the new change, because I can't think of a situation where multiple blocks need to be picked up, and the hauler would move slowly due to the bin weight.

Urist, Lift with your knees, not your back.

wonder how this will work. Will they grab empty containers or partialy filled ones from a stockpile? Will they do this everytime? 1 lone sock is in the middle of the floor. Will they get a bin before they fetch the sock, or just put the sock directly into the stockpile?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 03, 2012, 09:15:31 am »

Perhaps there will be a specific 'hauling' profession which causes them to run around with a bin everywhere they go?

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2012, 10:51:23 am »

@white_darkness: first, Mod the  game to collect sand like clay, and invent golf a la Bullroarer Took(The Hobbit.) Make a weapons trap filled with warhammers, and wait for a.severed part to sail of in an arc.

Wouldn't want sand working as clay lumps though, but I'm glad you caught what I was hinting at.  Good ol' Bandobras Took.  :)

But yeah, could be fun with some sand traps, magma traps, water traps, and other insanity.  Golf at it's finest.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 03, 2012, 11:18:11 am »

That's what I meant, collectable like clay. It's a sand wall either way.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 03, 2012, 11:23:11 am »

Hm, plant gathering with a bag = might actually be useful now?

Woodcutting w/ a bin = OP.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 03, 2012, 11:33:25 am »

logs can't be stored in bins, right? or is that going to change too.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 03, 2012, 11:37:19 am »

dunno

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 03, 2012, 12:03:58 pm »

Is there some improved farming mod? Or should tweak growth times myself?
Set GROWDUR to 1000 to make crops take a full season to grow. While a lot of mods have improved farming, you'd be hard pressed to find a mod that only does that so grab one and see how it gets the job done, then apply it to your personal homebrew (even if all you change is farming growth times).

I suppose that's one way to do it.  You'd need bigger fields and more workers... still, I would like for something like this to be vanilla.  It's kind of like fixing whips, it's something that needs to be done but it would be nice for it to be fixed officially.  Farming and whips of course are probably going to both be fixed in time with large and much better updates to the game as a whole.

logs can't be stored in bins, right? or is that going to change too.

No, they aren't stored in bins, and I kind of hope it stays that way.  It would be kind of silly to stick what amounts to most of a tree inside a bin with... more trees.

To be fair, it's also kind of hard to picture how you're fitting an appreciable number of stone blocks in a bin...
Through pain, I find wisdom.

armeggedonCounselor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 03, 2012, 12:45:09 pm »

Hauling is cool. These advances will make it far easier to deal with huge mining projects, especially since I like making giant mountain halls for things like stockpile space and workshops. Having to clear out 25x25 tiles of stone is aggravating at best, and I usually just cheat it away.

Lifts would be interesting. I'm thinking a water based counterweight system, for simplicity. That's a big advance that I'm really looking forward to: moving constructions.
Quote from: Stargrasper
It's an incredibly useful technique that will crash the computer if you aren't careful with it.
That really describes any programming.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2012, 12:51:37 pm »

I kind of wonder how this will affect building and stuff.

Maybe instead of making 25 trips back and forth to grab stones, they can just haul all the rocks they need right next to where they're building.

Or I could use stockpiles, but that would be efficient.

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2012, 01:33:29 pm »

The only crappy part was when the dwarves had to stuff a mutilated cat and all 20 of its teeth into a burial receptacle so the owner wouldn't chimp. Seriously, is it necessary to bury the thing with every last piece of it?!
Urist McChaplain: Dearly bebearded, we gather here today to witness the burial of Urist McCatsplosion. I didn't know the poor thing, but it led a goblin siege into the deboner that Urist McMechanic set up on level 3 and that's all that matters. Urist McHauler, if you'd be so kind.
Urist McHauler: *empties box of bits into a coffin and fishes out the non cat bits*
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2012, 03:04:20 pm »

It will certainly not be the same without my affectionate mental image of burly little drunkards with wild beards racing around carefully holding one seed between the fingers of both hands.  But then, the image has already been degraded a bit by the clothing requirement.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10