Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10

Author Topic: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....  (Read 19641 times)

Spinning Welshman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....
« Reply #60 on: April 03, 2012, 05:45:58 am »

I'm really excited for this update, finally cleaning up the clutter won't take years!

This is really going to change the labour force in my forts, I won't need 25% of my dwarves dedicated to sock disposal anymore.  :P
I also just had a human diplomat enter from the surface, hold a meeting, then exit the map via hell.... I guess he thinks he's pretty hardass.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 03, 2012, 06:13:23 am »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 03, 2012, 06:16:37 am »

Is there some improved farming mod? Or should tweak growth times myself?
Set GROWDUR to 1000 to make crops take a full season to grow. While a lot of mods have improved farming, you'd be hard pressed to find a mod that only does that so grab one and see how it gets the job done, then apply it to your personal homebrew (even if all you change is farming growth times).
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 03, 2012, 06:27:47 am »

Sounds so amazing, finally reclaiming a fortress will not take several years to bring back all those very small items scattered all the over the map.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 03, 2012, 06:43:47 am »

all we need now are dwarven express-lifts to ferry peeps and goods from surface to magma.

Jingles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 03, 2012, 07:00:30 am »

Sounds so amazing, finally reclaiming a fortress will not take several years to bring back all those very small items scattered all the over the map.
Win!  That is always pretty much the only thing I have a hard time with when reclaiming.

But still there are going to be an awful lot of idle dwarfs in my fortresses.  I'm not efficient enough with micro management to keep them all busy.  Maybe if I set up a mass pump/exercise room...

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 03, 2012, 07:21:11 am »

Toady is the man.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 03, 2012, 07:28:27 am »

Win!  That is always pretty much the only thing I have a hard time with when reclaiming.

But still there are going to be an awful lot of idle dwarfs in my fortresses.  I'm not efficient enough with micro management to keep them all busy.  Maybe if I set up a mass pump/exercise room...
Moar military drafts?
Excersice would be a good idea, so you have a backup militia to zerg the gobbos.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2012, 07:35:22 am »

all we need now are dwarven express-lifts to ferry peeps and goods from surface to magma.

Simple, dump items onto hatch ~50z levels above magma, pull hatch, items are transported (theoretically(Hm perhaps for extra dwarfiness, make them land onto a fast flowing river which flows them into a storage bay (Horizontal Transportation) and the items are stopped by the water flowing into grates?))
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Intro1827

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2012, 07:58:38 am »

Lift = dump? Not quite the same thing.
In mid air, the dwarf continued to take hits from both the minecart and his own falling axe.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 03, 2012, 08:00:42 am »

Well he said from Surface to Magma
ie
Surface = here

magma = here

Soo...

...Yeah

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 03, 2012, 08:16:18 am »

Somebody pinch me, today has been going far too well to be real.

Kamamura has pinched KodKod in the tongue, and the severed part sails off in an arc. Tendon in tongue has been torn. Several nerves have been torn.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 03, 2012, 08:45:16 am »

Well he said from Surface to Magma
ie
Surface = here

magma = here

Soo...

...Yeah
...for a broad enough definition of "lift", at least. Although if you take "to magma" literally enough, then falling damage is the least of concerns for all involved.

Oo, Idea™:

Code: [Select]
_____+_____ surface, drawbridge (retracts) doubling as dump square, more surface
..... ..... rock, channel, more rock {*n z-levels}
.....c|__ rock, channel (now with more chained kitten(tame)), door, corridor
Theoretically, should you choose to send someone down via Dwarven Gravity Express, they will land on the kitty, thus replacing falling damage with a mere stun. At least if you make sure the kitty isn't trying to wander out of the door during drop (you may want to set the door to forbidden/tightly closed before Pulling The Lever).
As for sending goods and personnel back to the surface with equal haste, that's an engineering challenge yet to be solved...
(I've seen some pretty clever water-based solutions though.)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

SRD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 03, 2012, 08:55:00 am »

GENIUS!.

Make it a husk of kitten so we can use him over and over again :3.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 03, 2012, 09:00:53 am »

I can't find any reference by Toady as to which hauling bugs/inefficiencies he is trying to address, aside from having bins and bags used to collect multiple items. I wonder if a single dwarf puts a TSK on all items that he plans to collect at the start of the haul, or just keeps making the decision on the way.

I hope block bins are exempt from the new change, because I can't think of a situation where multiple blocks need to be picked up, and the hauler would move slowly due to the bin weight.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10