Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....  (Read 19630 times)

KodKod

• Bay Watcher
  • Fond of despair and alcoholism.
    • View Profile
Re: If Toady One "fixes" hauling....
« Reply #45 on: April 02, 2012, 11:29:13 pm »

@KodKod: Most people wouldn't even let their dwarves have cats.

If you don't give them cats then what could you possibly take away when the need to punish them comes up?

Love is a weakness, and cats are particularly vulnerable to spikes.
/人‿‿人\
Tell me what you see. It's a mortal wretched cacophony!
KodBlog: A rage in progress. Updated 20/04/12

barconis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 02, 2012, 11:32:19 pm »

I don't care if dwarves sit around drooling in the dining room idle, anything to clean up those stacks of 20-30 pages of bone jewelry from a single kill is welcome. I don't know how many of those stacks I've had to forbid because it took too many dwarves too many months to pick everything up. I will be a happy happy camper.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 02, 2012, 11:32:48 pm »

Touche'. Hwever, there are more effective ways of punishing dwarves, ways that have less fur and more necro910 quotes.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 02, 2012, 11:33:52 pm »

No meeting hall, just let them have rooms, they wont meet, just sit in there rooms.

Sounds familiar tbh
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 02, 2012, 11:35:40 pm »

Be sure to give them computer desks and set up an internet.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

psychologicalshock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 02, 2012, 11:40:27 pm »

All the pets in my fortress were brutally murdered in the first 2 goblin sieges where I had a separate farm set up but no traps protecting it, the goblins would rush in and murder all of the animals while I regrouped the militia. By siege 3 I had a defense for it set up but by then dwarves no longer had pets, win-win.

The only crappy part was when the dwarves had to stuff a mutilated cat and all 20 of its teeth into a burial receptacle so the owner wouldn't chimp. Seriously, is it necessary to bury the thing with every last piece of it?!

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2012, 01:01:47 am »

Bones don't go into bins :P

Well, Barrels then?
No, if it has to be something, it'll probably be boxes/chests or something totally new (wheelbarrow).
Ah I know! make a refuse pit next to the butcher, and beside the pit will be someone turning the bones into bonemeal, and then putting that into bags, and then hauling it to the smelters to make glass out of it!

Wow, goblin skull windows?
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2012, 01:25:28 am »

Small forts may become much more workable now...

Or make everyone into masons and spam out blacks.  Now that they'll get hauled in bins (hopefully) it may become extremely easy to build large constructions.  A small block stockpile near the worksite that gets refilled very quickly.

This. Also, for the same reason, I hope some sort of better stockpile management is for the release. Taking is good for aggregating up multiple piles, but doesn't really work to distribute stuff around where is needed

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2012, 03:35:07 am »

I'm happy to see this change coming.  I've currently got the remains of about two dozen thieves lying around outside the walls of my fortress, and having a few dwarves go clean it all up would be very nice indeed.

The problem of keeping dwarves busy... it's kind of bigger than just keeping haulers busy.  I'm actually looking forward to the day when things like farming are tougher and require more workers to produce adequate amounts of food.  For a typical fortress like these, I would expect a sizable portion of the populace to be devoted to farming, not just 3-4 people.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2012, 04:30:03 am »

The workaround is to have ridiculously convoluted, meandering, 1-tile-wide corridors all over the place.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2012, 05:11:29 am »

A natural consequence is to use fewer dwarves to get even more FPS while still doing the same things we do today. Until I need to move or dump stones I guess ;)

daggaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2012, 05:12:03 am »

Or make everyone into masons and spam out blacks.  Now that they'll get hauled in bins (hopefully) it may become extremely easy to build large constructions.

God, as if DF players weren't evil enough already, now you are going to start up the slave trade in order to build pyramids??   :o

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 03, 2012, 05:15:31 am »

Or make everyone into masons and spam out blacks.  Now that they'll get hauled in bins (hopefully) it may become extremely easy to build large constructions.

God, as if DF players weren't evil enough already, now you are going to start up the slave trade in order to build pyramids??   :o

What do you mean "start up"? Also, inverted pyramids win.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 03, 2012, 05:34:53 am »

I'm actually looking forward to the day when things like farming are tougher and require more workers to produce adequate amounts of food.  For a typical fortress like these, I would expect a sizable portion of the populace to be devoted to farming, not just 3-4 people.
We already did that long ago. Edit the plant raws for longer growth times.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #59 on: April 03, 2012, 05:45:04 am »

Is there some improved farming mod? Or should tweak growth times myself?
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10