Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: The Patriot  (Read 13486 times)

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: The Patriot
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2012, 06:10:58 pm »

(I think I'll do my RPs in a more storybookesque style.)

Those who knew him considered Kalas Summerale a somewhat emotional person. It is said that upon discovering his ranch burned down by the Imperials he was inconsolable for days. His friend Hilks, leader of the nearby village, had to go so far as to force Kalas into partaking of food and water.

The loss of the ranch was crushing, but is was that fact that Imperials did it that broke the man. Kalas was born on Imperial soil and taught at a young age to respect imperial law. Although a Plainsman Kalas would go as far as to say that in general he personally got along better with those across the nearby border than he did with his own extended family. Kalas of course was by no means a naive person. He was well aware of the fact that Empire and the Free People did not see eye to eye on many things, and that war was always a possibility... But Kalas had always assumed that should war break out he would be left alone. The Imperials were his customers, and one of their ranking officers his best friend.

It was the knowledge that this friend, Verran Goldwalls could not have been behind the attack that razed his ranch, that allowed Kalas to eventually snap out of his funk and begin the process of putting his life back together. Verran was a smart man, and knew that Kalas was more an Imperial asset than anything else. He would have surely argued against such such an attack. Verran was also a loyal friend, and Kalas was fairly sure that even if directly ordered to burn Wystwuch to the ground he would have at least warned Kalas to take his animals and leave the area.

No. Verran couldn't have been responsible for the destruction, and as Kalas began to rebuild his property he began to worry about his friend. Perhaps the reason he couldn't stop the attack was because he was assigned to another front. Or perhaps he was at home recovering from injury. For all Kalas knew Verran could even be dead. Perhaps it would be best to brave imperial lands and get in touch...

Actions:
(I'll just live off my savings for this turn. Hopefully I can get the house and barn up quick)

+5 Rebuilding House
+5 weeks Rebuilding Barn
+2 weeks entering imperial territory and finding a messenger to send my tidings to Verran's house in Terrapolis. Inquire about his health and the reasons behind the current war. Inform him of what happened to the ranch. Include love note to Helen telling her not to worry about me.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »

(Doing extended RP's with nobody to bounce off of is a bit hard for me too.)
Tiriem got up quickly from the deck on his ship and peered off the horizon before setting off to work. He adjusted his sails and started a fine tact out of the harbor to head off for some fishing to put some coin in his pocket for future ventures.
"And hopefully I wont remain a fish monger."
He mumbled to himself as he spun the wheel again and ducked under the swinging beam as me moved up to the side of his small vessel to cast his net off to the side.  As he waited for the fish he leaned against the mast and did some planning for the weeks ahead.

Fishing & Selling   4 points
Train Trading 3 points
Study local markets and trade routes2 points
Act as a shipper to local islands 2 points
Train Falchion 1 point

Raggle Fraggle

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2012, 02:24:32 am »

"Yes, page," spoke the smartly clad man standing at the top of the stairwell  as he handed a small bag of coins along with a case of scrolls to the young woman in the white and blue surcoat. "And be certain that he does not ask for every gold piece I've given you! If need be, you may remind him that we had an agreement."

"Of course, Sire," she replied, "but as for the...?" she hesitated, looking side to side.

He smiled. "No need worry about the girls finding out- I've sent them to spend supper and the evening at Gerharts, and they're not due back for several hours. You have the key; when you return, you may enter and leave them in my study, as well as instructions for feeding with the maid, and that will be well enough."

"Yes Sire!" said the bright-faced page, inclining her head.

Sir Gerald quietly returned the gesture, and with that the two parted ways.

Entering the forum, Gerald removed his scabbard and passed it to Everett, who greeted his brother with a casual enthusiasm that was uncommon among most squires, commenting comically on the fair weather, which solicited a passing laugh.

As they approached the attendants opened the doors to a large, chandelier-lit hall lined with towering book shelves, and the two entered, one after the other. Within a dozen or so clearly distinguished men and women had arranged themselves on either side of the great oaken table that spanned the length of the extravagant hall, some resting their helms of their ornate suits of armor in their laps, others robed in the habit and hood of the scholar. Gerald took his seat at the head of them, and directed a sharp nod across the room.

"Ladies and Gentlemen," came the voice of the man standing on the opposite side, crisp and official, "In service of the honorable Lord Knight and Knightdom of Hirecht, this war assembly will now convene."

* Collaborate with personal advisers and incoming reports to review intelligence on the in detail, with attention to:
- Geographic layout, potential obstructions
- Inclement or advantageous weather conditions
- Estimated garrison sizes of Paskeep, Vallantria, Riverguard, Riverwatch, Valegard, and Highwatch
- Recent and anticipated movements among enemy troops and supply lines

4 points.

* Work under superiors. 2 points

* Increase Eating Habits to Expensive for the remainder of the quarter.

* Dispatch a page to procure two rare and exotic songbirds imported from the southern Island Nations for daughters, spending no more than 40 gold each.

Notes

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 04:36:39 am by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2012, 04:50:22 am »

+5 Rebuilding House
+5 weeks Rebuilding Barn

I'll take it that you're going with the previous design, if you don't intend to form a new one? smaller buildings are quicker, larger buildings otherwise.

Train Trading 3 points

Act as a shipper to local islands 2 points

I can't quite possibly imagine how one "trains" trading...?

You'll need a business license, tied with the related taxes and such, to ship... legally. You'll also need to spend a turn or two finding out where the niches are to maximise on said shipping.
A pool of Dwarven Ale.
WHO IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS ?

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2012, 05:15:44 am »

- Geographic layout, potential obstructions
- Inclement or advantageous weather conditions
- Estimated garrison sizes of Paskeep, Vallantria, Riverguard, Riverwatch, Valegard, and Highwatch
- Recent and anticipated movements among enemy troops and supply lines[/b]

Alright, if we're going to go with details, scrap the %~ Manpower plan. I'm upping the commanding officers to 38, 13,000 troops between them.

- Passkeep
Geographic: fast-climbing grasslands lead up to the pass, with the mountains on either side inclining a sharp drop to where the fortress impedes unwelcome access.
Weather: Unpredictable; Temperate. Recently, heavy snowfall.
Garrison Size: 6,500 + 4,000 en route.

- Vallantria
Geographic: Large well-walled city surrounded by rolling hills of farmlands and hamlets.
Weather: Unpredictable; Temperate. Recently, light snowfall.
Garrison Size: 12,000 + Your commandable 15,000.

- Riverguard
Geographic: A fort that stands next to the river that stretches the short distance to the forest.
Weather: Unpredictable; Temperate. Recently, clear.
Garrison Size: 3,600 + 4,500 en route.

- Riverwatch
Geographic: A fort that stands next to the river that stretches the short distance to the forest.
Weather: Unpredictable; Temperate. Recently, clear.
Garrison: 4,000~

- Valegard
Geographic: A fort attached to the side of the mountain, guarding well the mines. The surrounding crater-of-a-valley has steep declines, sometimes complete cliff-faces, leading to its bowl. The base is a somewhat-flat savannah for a short expanse; a mile or two.
Weather: Unpredictable; Temperate. Recently, heavy snowfall.
Garrison: 8,000~

- Highwatch
Geographic: Highwatch is atop an expanse of land that quickly climbs to the base of the cliffs, a great waterfall leaking from the mountains.
Weather: Unpredictable; Temperate. Recently, light snowfall.
Garrison: 4,000~

Predicted enemy plans [no factual basing];
- Hold Valegard.
- Hold Riverwatch.

[Information for free, turnpoint-wise]
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2012, 06:19:40 am »

Note to non-players

I'm looking for some trustworthy and accurate GMs to take on the responsibility of processing turns for a number of new players. The plan is to have different GMs processing and resulting turns for players. Then I can copy paste these into a final turn-end. By this process, we could have many, many new players! If a GM took on 4-6 players each, and we just had 3 GMs - including myself - then we could be looking at 18 players!

PM me if you're interested in giving a hand! And, of course, this allows for you to play, too. :)
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2012, 08:46:43 am »

I'm going with whatever my character thinks is reasonable to build in the time allotted.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2012, 12:13:34 pm »

"Are you certain, Master Knight?" asked the woman at the front of the entourage, bearing the insignia of an adviser to the Knight Lord himself.

"We are certain," Sir Gerald responded with a firm nod. "Take word to his Honorable Lordship, let him know that we will make preparations as soon as it has his approval."

The two exchanged salutes and the woman mounted onto her horse, calling for haste went as she and her companions rode for the the center of the city.

Following week after week of hearing strategic assessments and proposals, Sir Gerald had resolved himself to this, a bold plan. The forces of the enemy were nothing to scoff, but they did lack strength enough match Hirecht directly. Meanwhile, their commanding officers found themselves scattered across an equal number of fronts. Sieging Valegard would be no laughing matter, and everything else would be left to contingency- but with her potential reinforcements flung as far as Riverwatch and Highwatch under thumb, this would be the only opportunity to strike at the iron heart of Lorecht...

*Dispatch a messenger to Passkeep, accompanied by a mounted patrol. Attempt to coordinate a diversionary (feigned, if necessary) attack on Highwatch to coincide with the assault on Valegard. 1 point.

*Oversee the drilling of the men, placing a heavy emphasis on endurance training. 5 points.

*Dispatch a page to procure a sturdy warhorse, spending no more than 100 gold.

*March on Valegard with the full force of 15,000 men.

*Spend a cumulative week with the daughters. 1 point.

*Continue drilling the men. 1 Point.

*Work under superiors. 4 points.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 08:02:16 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2012, 01:07:30 pm »

A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Riccto

• Bay Watcher
  • Get Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2012, 01:28:59 pm »

Purchase a trading Liscense 1 point
Study Market Niches 2 point
Associate with local traders. Make friends 1 point

Fix'd hopefully.
Raggle Fraggle

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2012, 02:27:16 pm »

If only I could sig this...

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2012, 02:45:07 pm »

If only I could sig this...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Purchase a trading Liscense 1 point
Study Market Niches 2 point
Associate with local traders. Make friends 1 point

Fix'd hopefully.

Use Modify on your previous message in the future please. :D

Are you only going to be spending 4 turn points, then?
A pool of Dwarven Ale.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2012, 03:37:54 pm »

Assaulting a fortress carved into the side of a mountain with steep cliff faces, in the middle of winter in a heavy snowfall.  :o

Ballsy or foolish?

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2012, 04:34:26 pm »

Assaulting a fortress carved into the side of a mountain with steep cliff faces, in the middle of winter in a heavy snowfall.  :o

Ballsy or foolish?

Hrm. My impression is that the fortress proper is situation along the slope of a basin in the mountains (http://www.tahoeloco.com/archives/2084), not a 5,000 foot rock wall from an LOTR movie facing straight north with only a single access point... regardless, it will be interesting

Azkanan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2012, 05:08:24 pm »

More like so. Not as formidable as Minas Tirith, and not as big as it is in the picture.

A pool of Dwarven Ale.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8