Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quick falling question  (Read 4905 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Quick falling question
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:21:41 am »

If a creature falls on another creature from a 1z drop, will they both be stunned? Will either be stunned?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: Quick falling question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 07:38:02 am »

If a creature falls any distance and lands on another creature, both are stunned, and neither is injured.  Furthermore, a 1z drop does no damage anyway, merely stuns the creature that falls.  So both creatures should end up stunned but uninjured.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 08:14:53 am »

Sphalerite -

What if the one above has a giant bat cloak? Would they sort-of float down to the villain below?
What if two swallows with a rope held by their dorsal guided feathers help lower the dwarf down, what sort of rope would be needed, would wool be okay? Or does it need silk?
 :o

Bilanthri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 11:17:28 am »

I think those would qualify as "laden" swallows.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 11:31:50 am »

Don't be silly, sparrows don't have any body parts with the [GRASP] tag.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 11:47:19 am »

new project: parachutes for dwarfs. Dwarven para-troopers. Or just feeding children to vampires without them splattering on hitting the floor.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 12:36:45 pm »

Or just feeding children to vampires without them splattering on hitting the floor.

Obviously you need to improve your aim.  Drop them *onto* the vampire.  Then they will both be stunned and uninjured, as stated above.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Crosu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 02:05:03 pm »

A chicken falling 1 z-level on a FB will stun both then?
It might me 50/50 though on which one gets trapped. Worth a try.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 02:36:13 pm »

Actually I think the [NOSTUN] tag will prevent the FB from being stunned, simply resulting in a trapped or dead chicken.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

targetstar

• Bay Watcher
  • ahh, its raining goblin blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 05:11:45 pm »

just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>
ahh, its raining goblin blood everwere

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 09:11:44 pm »

Good God this became an amusing thread since last night.

I'm asking this question because I'm going to drop live crocodiles onto invaders as a late-end part of my fortress' defensive system, and I needed to know if the crocodiles would be stunned for longer than the invaders. Should be fine, though, from what I'm hearing.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 03:40:42 pm »

If a creature falls any distance and lands on another creature, both are stunned, and neither is injured.  Furthermore, a 1z drop does no damage anyway, merely stuns the creature that falls.  So both creatures should end up stunned but uninjured.

Just a couple of caveats:

a) If the cushion creature isn't standing up, he won't protect the dropper.

b) If you drop from a hatch, it works as described.  If you drop from a bridge, your parachuter gets injured.  Don't ask me why.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

travellersside

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 03:49:23 pm »

I'm going to drop live crocodiles onto invaders

This. This is why I love the game.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 04:08:20 pm »

b) If you drop from a hatch, it works as described.  If you drop from a bridge, your parachuter gets injured.  Don't ask me why.
It's because bridges tend to fling things around, "launching" them; as opposed to hatches which just drop whatever is on them straight down.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 04:23:58 pm »

It's because bridges tend to fling things around, "launching" them; as opposed to hatches which just drop whatever is on them straight down.

It might be related to that, but it happens even if the dropping critter has no place to get flung to-- single retracting bridge tile surrounded by raised bridges and walls, ceiling directly above.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: [1] 2