Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1240 1241 [1242] 1243 1244 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3938512 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Combat Teams
« Reply #18616 on: February 03, 2014, 01:46:11 pm »

Could I please get a price/clarification on the following things:

8. The base and the valley are pretty big. Artillery with the force and accuracy to hit like that might be expensive, depending on the size and the shells being used. Just standard Gauss, size-of-a-man shell?
-Yes, how much would one of these cost?
9. Depends on the system it uses to get around. If you want it on rails or something it can be relatively cheap, but if you want it running around on robotic legs, it will cost more.
-The cheapest option. I'm guessing rails, wheels or threads?
-8 bunkers, spaced around the complex, with small rooms under them to hide from artillery and tunnels between them and key points in our base (like the airfield). Tunnels should have some cheap sensors, and collapsable with remote-controlled explosives (controlled by Steve, and just enough explosives to close down the tunnel and prevent infiltration).
-If you have a LESHO rifle, is it possible to have non rocket-guided ammo? If yes, could it be considered as a bigger gauss-cannon, or does it still have penalties for short-range?

(For following, assume these genemods: general upgrade to dex, senses, end. If Doc can manage this, they should run faster, jump further, and be better than the normal sod. Nothing extraordinary though, just a general small upgrade. Increase intelligence for regular sods so they can follow orders from their sod commanders or player characters, sod commanders should have good tactical insight and creative thinking, but check if they are still obedient soldiers then (so no sudden "oh gawd existential angst" *suicide*).)
Spoiler: sod Sniper Squad (click to show/hide)

((This game does not run on WH40k physics. Look at the Landkreuzer P. 1000 Ratte for issues with super-heavy tanks. Still not as bad as giant humanoid mecha, but pretty bad nonetheless.
((The only way you could get supertanks to work is with synthflesh, since the more there is of that the more potent it becomes. Square cube law? HA, screw you I have space magic!))
So really, I recommend that we don't diverge from what the UWM does without first proving that our new method is more effective.
((Good points, but so far we haven't really gone very special yet. Sods with standard Armory equipment, artillery and bunkers are all basic stuff with proven effectivity.))
We already know the UWM has programmed sods to fight UWM forces (See them attacking Miya/Flint), so how many situations are we actually going to run into that require creative thought?
((We don't know all that in great detail, so if you want to ghelp and do some research, that would be great. My posts are already pretty big, and I don't want to burden PW with huge posts asking a million things.))

Woohoo! Now to put my own character as the twelfth page!
Wait a sec...
Is this really necessary GWG?
Eh.
((GWG, I think several people would appreciate it if you cut down on posts that are fairly... redundant. Really, posting the same thing in multiple threads only clutters things and doesn't accomplish anything. Though once we have an OOC thread, it won't be a problem anymore I guess.))
With enough power to hit anywhere in the valley? Oh, 30, 40 something around there.

Rails are cheapest. Assume around 15.

Bunkers are the before quoted price (Which I am too lazy to go back and look up) and the tunnel system..ahhh all together like 10. But thats for everything, tunnels, sensors, explosives, etc, so it's not much.

The short range penalties for the lesho are because it's barrel is like 6-8 feet long or something. You really can't aim it in short range under normal circumstances.

First squad...hmmm well 25 for the basic sods (5 each), And...oh...2 more for each when modified so...35. Then equipment...15 all together or so. So...50.

Second one, 25.

((Well he seems to be functioning pretty fine, so I guess you could just leave the rock in there and pull the neurons out of him. Not sure what'll happen to the fleshorror when he leaves though.))

Quote from: Teal > Lyra
Co-Ordinates of Man?

Exit Flesh-horror. Position hole-cutter above teammate using co-ordinates provided by Lyra.

Lyra Cat-blocks you, so to speak.

((Just for the record, Baneblades aren't *that* tough in the WH40k universe. They just require an AP shell to break open a hole to put an HE shell through.

They're still awesome, of course.

And yes, I have read some WH40k books. Dan Abnett, to be exact.))

Price estimate on the following proposal, please:

a network of bunkers buried deep underground and armored from which the assault team can control remote weapons and survey the landscape. Say four heavy lasers and four mortars per base, spread out around the center of the base in the landscape. Personally, I think they would work best in the mountains, connected with a collapsible tunnel network. I know someone else proposed something similar, but I wanted to get my version out there.

Well, in the last two posts with Radio I gave him prices for a lot of this sort of stuff, so look up there.

"Lovely. Okay, we found our man, or what's left of him, now we need to figure out how to get him out without pissing off the giant flesh monster we're standing in. Hrmm. Fuck it, I'll just ask nicely. Seems to have worked so far."

Activate the loudspeaker.

"Okay, thanks for showing us our teammate. Can we have him back now? Please?"

((Firing a laser into the brain of a giant creature we're still inside isn't a good idea, mostly because it seems indifferent about us, or at least trusts us enough to be allowed to see its real brain. We can always resort to violence later.))
It doesn't respond. Well, it responds by not doing anything, I suppose would be the most correct way to say that.

How much RUs would it cost to recreate Beat-all Tek's Ultraregen Treatment and give it to all our Sods? Since we don't have to worry about copyright and UWM's laws anymore and those micro-bots were constructed by humans, we can recreate them, right? And since they're all clones, the cost will go down since we won't have to imprint the micro-bots to each and every one of them.

(Did the energy-proof stuff from the asteroid ever get reverse-engineered?  That would be a damn nice thing to use as mobile cover.)
((Ah, yes, good idea.))

Can we use that laser/heat/energy absorbing flatground for our ships/buildings/armor? Any results from that organic computer I got back from the alien planetoid? Or those crystals that made electricity and radiation, any chance we could hurl those at enemies?
Reverse engineering mesk's immortality bugs is a possibility...but expensive and difficult. We could probably get the things themselves copied and working, but they'd be prohibitively expensive to put in every sod.

Research is still on going. Probably won't be done in time for use here; but soon.

Get ready to help pull up people from below quickly and help Teal however I can.
You help teal find some online sensitivity training.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #18617 on: February 03, 2014, 02:00:23 pm »

Finalize my mental image of the thing I'm going to do (ie charge shapeshifting one more time for +-3).
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18618 on: February 03, 2014, 02:59:54 pm »

RU cost to plant some near maturity 'Bloater trees' (rapid fire seed exploding trees) near suitable air drop points.
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18619 on: February 03, 2014, 03:39:29 pm »

RU cost to plant some near maturity 'Bloater trees' (rapid fire seed exploding trees) near suitable air drop points.
((Even assuming that the seeds and not the trees explode...why? Mechanical systems would have better aim (due to having much more than no senses to aim with), better firepower (due to more flexibility with the chemicals and containment systems that could be used, among others), and would be easier to repair. They also use tech we have. What possible advantage would gengineered plants have over machines?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18620 on: February 03, 2014, 03:56:22 pm »

((They are not genengineered, they are a natural alien species mentioned earlier. This means it is most likely impossible to get a shipment to Hephaestus on time. Any more discussion goes in ooc.))
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

smurfingtonthethird

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18621 on: February 03, 2014, 04:02:04 pm »

EDITED: wrong thread
RIP Moot ;-;7 Sigtext!

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18622 on: February 03, 2014, 04:40:10 pm »

Still waiting for instructions from doc.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18623 on: February 03, 2014, 05:21:45 pm »

"Maybe I should be more specific."

Activate loudspeaker.

"Okay, can we remove our teammate's body from your brain. I have something that can do it without pain, and appears to leave everything functional, even while detached."

((This has bad idea written all over it. Also, Internet at my new house is currently intermittent and confined to a certain section of floor, so I may or may not be able to post often.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18624 on: February 03, 2014, 06:04:13 pm »

((Disclaimer: since this is directly linked to the mission and the planning of the defense, I think it'll be best if I post this here. If there are people who would prefer this discussion to be had in the OOC thread though, say so and I'll delete this and post it there. I'm just not sure really.))

In other news, with the "Generic Sod Clones" I was thinking along the lines of the clones from Star Wars. We could have specialized guys with enhanced intelligence, deck and end, sorta like the ARC troopers. Also, what armor were you planning on giving them, if any? Just MKII's might be helpful.))

Spoiler: Sod Commando (click to show/hide)
((Also, this can have their weaponry and squad amount changed due to the situation.))

((I wasn't giving them a Mk.II because
-mission isn't in space, so no need for spacesuit (though if we send some of them along with the boarding teams, they'd need Mk.II suits for sure)
-they feel no pain, so no need for that feature
-giving an emergency kit to one trooper is cheaper than giving Mk.II to all of them
Didn't add extra armor than a normal (UWM) sod has because, unless you give them either an exoskeleton or heavy strength genemods, any armor that would actually cover fully from basic weapons would be too heavy, and combat shields are't flexible enough. I'm kinda banking on there being cover available to keep them alive. And of course, armor=expensive if you want to give it to all troopers

Also, I'm not 100% sure what makes that commando sod different from a 'regular' one, kinda looks like one from the light squad but with different gear. But if you wanna design a high-end commando unit, why not go for a 3-man synthflesh sod team? (you could design a lone trooper, but doing it in teams means 1 trooper doesn't need to cover all situations, you can have some specialization)

Some notes for the people helping with defense planning:
-deadline is still Sunday this week
-I added something in the 'current mission' wiki page: here you can find proposed and approved projects/expenditures, as well as team layouts. Mostly so I don't have to copy-paste that info a thousand times.

These are some things I think we'll need (with actual costs and such):
  • 1 extra laser battery: 100 RU                            to ensure full air cover
  • 2 Steve bots/mission 7 bots: 2x25 = 50 RU          one for extra defense of the batteries, one for Reserve team (or both for batteries, depends
  • 2 laser battery defenses (one for the one we have, one for the one we'll build): 2x10 RU = 20 RU   
  • 2 heavy artillery: 2x30 = 60 RU                          for shelling enemy and ensuring they can't outgun us from range
  • 6 mortars on rails: 6x 15 = 90 RU  fire support, lower range but more bang per buck (rails ensure we don't waste resources placing mortars where they don't attack anyways
  • 5 Light Infantry Sod Squad: 5x 50 = 250   main npc support, flexible enough to face most threats but cheap enough that losing a squad isn't the end of the world.
  • 2 Sod Sniper Squad: 2x 25 = 50 RU             specialized npc's for ranged coverage (and more flexible and subtle than artillery, though not as powerful
Spoiler: sod Sniper Squad (click to show/hide)

That all comes down to 620 RU I think. Now, we still need a bunker complex, for that I propose the following:
-and inner circle of 6 bunkers (90 RU), defending the base 'close to home' so to speak
-an outer layer of 4 bunkers, placed in the mountains (like doomblade requested. I still think defending from the mountains, so far from base, isn't the most efficient way (mostly because we're tight on resources), but wanna give his idea a chance to.) (note: the valley is pretty big, so if we need to retreat from these it'll be a long way back. We have shuttles though, but the remaining bunkers will face getting outflanked. Having two layers does kinda give the benefits of defense in depth, so it has that going for it)

We could still add extra stuff to the bunkers themselves, but with the mortars-on-rails I don't think that'll be really necessary. Plus, if we accept all the above and this bunker plan, we'll have used 770 RU already. And we'll still need some to pay for Sean his private jet combat shuttles.))
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:43:20 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #18625 on: February 03, 2014, 06:22:54 pm »

((Disclaimer: since this is directly linked to the mission and the planning of the defense, I think it'll be best if I post this here. If there are people who would prefer this discussion to be had in the OOC thread though, say so and I'll delete this and post it there. I'm just not sure really.))

-snip-

((Same disclaimer.

The ship refits are totaling 250RU if Sean gets his fire extinguisher of a blackship knockoff that can hull any lighter ships, or put a crater where an Avatar was, but only has 6 shots before it's out.

As well, I would still like to get a bit more information about Sod Squads before we make them - while any are undoubtedly useful, some could be more useful than others and I don't have quotes on them yet. Also, I'm not sure about your cost estimates of them - all of that equipment costs as well, and we don't know exactly what it'll all cost since PW is eyeballing it.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #18626 on: February 03, 2014, 06:36:04 pm »

-snip-

((Same disclaimer.

The ship refits are totaling 250RU if Sean gets his fire extinguisher of a blackship knockoff that can hull any lighter ships, or put a crater where an Avatar was, but only has 6 shots before it's out.

As well, I would still like to get a bit more information about Sod Squads before we make them - while any are undoubtedly useful, some could be more useful than others and I don't have quotes on them yet. Also, I'm not sure about your cost estimates of them - all of that equipment costs as well, and we don't know exactly what it'll all cost since PW is eyeballing it.))
((We can probably disarm the two regular shuttles and reduce the Courier payload to one missile if we really need some RU change.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18627 on: February 03, 2014, 06:50:14 pm »

((I'd like it as well if I could research all the different sod options and abilities in fine detail before deciding, but really, we've already gone on long enough with this. If you can get your cybersods worked out before sunday, I'm perfectly willing to add some of those and removing a few other things (like only 4 or 3 light infantry squads). But they'll actually have to be fully worked out, like these examples (so equipment and robobody all covered). But if you can't get that done in time for next mission, you could always leave it be and then design them without any hurry after the Sword leaves again. You can roleplay it as Simus not getting the R&D done in only one year.
Also:
First squad...hmmm well 25 for the basic sods (5 each), And...oh...2 more for each when modified so...35. Then equipment...15 all together or so. So...50.
Second one, 25.
This seems to indicate that the full cost of the squads (sods, equipment, genemodding) is covered with that 50 RU))

((We can probably disarm the two regular shuttles and reduce the Courier payload to one missile if we really need some RU change.))
((I choose not to get involved with the shuttles so you guys could work that out on your own. But yeah, unless we remove some stuff from that list, 250 RU would make us go a bit above budget (and even removing stuff means almost all the budget is gone).))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18628 on: February 03, 2014, 08:41:07 pm »

((Are you sure we only need one laser battery to ensure full air cover?

Other than that...I can't really think of stuff, nor an IC way to introduce it. Grate might come up with a couple little projects if he ever finishes enough of his research [mission replay VR], or gets inspired otherwise, but they probably wouldn't be large-scale.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #18629 on: February 03, 2014, 08:51:29 pm »

((@Sean: I don't remember exactly what you got for the ships but I think you had some interplanetary transports or something like that in there. Since those things won't be useful for the defence (unless you use those to tow asteroids or something) wouldn't it be better to just leave those stuff as scrap or even scrap them completely and just rebuild them later?))

Requesting RU cost of the following Anti-Ship missile:
Crusher: A simple missile with a warhead made of modified gravity rounds. When the missile is close to its target, the warhead detonates, spraying the gravity rounds forward like buckshot.
If possible test viability against ships with point defence lasers. Would they be able to reach the ships? How much damage would they cause compared to weapons normally used for space combat?
Do the same but with nuclear rounds. Are nuclear rounds more destructive and/or cheaper?

Also, check if the Terror-Drone idea is a good idea and if they could be designed, perfected and mass produced in time for the coming battle:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 1240 1241 [1242] 1243 1244 ... 1256