Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1134 1135 [1136] 1137 1138 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945347 times)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 11: The Wall of Remembrance Grows
« Reply #17025 on: November 19, 2013, 03:54:14 am »

((I KNOW! Miya has a UNIVERSAL AMP and all he ever seems to use it for is the same old microwave crap. :( I am disappoint))
snip

((I was under the impression that all amps used the same amount of energy, assuming they were affecting the same area. I figured why keep heating a 1 foot sphere when you could convert a 1 foot sphere into confetti or crush that 1 foot sphere using gravity.

I wasn't trying to say "why don't you use more taxing tactics" I was trying to say "why don't you mix things up a bit"
Which apparently those are the same thing, which I didn't know.

Basically I was saying you should use the same energy with some other amp functions so it was less boring but yeah I digress.))
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #17026 on: November 19, 2013, 04:40:21 am »

((A universal amp is like a swiss army knife. Or, perhaps more aptly, like an assembly code compiler. Where with a specialized amp, the difficulty and strain changes linearly with the magnitude of the task you want to achieve, a universal amp has to work with low-level effects to produce the same things - so the difficulty scales also with the nature of the task. Creating or removing thermal energy locally is nearly the easiest thing to do. Moving something is harder, as it requires applying that energy as kinetic force, and controlling and directing the outcome. And so on and so on. So the simpler things really will drain less mental stamina than the more complex things.

Also, ouch. Poor drone. Dammit, I'm running out of those things. Gonna have to start constructing a swarm of murderbots out of scout eyes.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17027 on: November 19, 2013, 06:06:16 am »

((A universal amp is like a swiss army knife. Or, perhaps more aptly, like an assembly code compiler. Where with a specialized amp, the difficulty and strain changes linearly with the magnitude of the task you want to achieve, a universal amp has to work with low-level effects to produce the same things - so the difficulty scales also with the nature of the task. Creating or removing thermal energy locally is nearly the easiest thing to do. Moving something is harder, as it requires applying that energy as kinetic force, and controlling and directing the outcome. And so on and so on. So the simpler things really will drain less mental stamina than the more complex things.

Also, ouch. Poor drone. Dammit, I'm running out of those things. Gonna have to start constructing a swarm of murderbots out of scout eyes.))

(( Assembly code compiler. That's a pretty good analogy actually. It can do literally anything the computer can! Just don't expect it to help you add 1 and 1 in any sensible way. The universal manipulator can heat up a sphere of space just as well as the microwave manipulator. It's just way more effort to actually *get* the universal manipulator to do that when compared to the microwave. ))

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17028 on: November 19, 2013, 07:42:13 am »

((So in essence the Microwave amp is a Microwave amp, and the Universal amp is a mishmash of things what resemble the other amps?

So a Universal amp is basically Fry's brain in Futurama, it does everything a normal brain does, but poorly, yet has some extra things sticking out.))

Indeed, I do this.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17029 on: November 19, 2013, 07:52:06 am »

((So in essence the Microwave amp is a Microwave amp, and the Universal amp is a mishmash of things what resemble the other amps?

So a Universal amp is basically Fry's brain in Futurama, it does everything a normal brain does, but poorly, yet has some extra things sticking out.))
((Which was the reasoning behind my initial comparison to a Swiss army knife. It has the capability to do anything, but it'll take more effort to do it than with a specialized tool.))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17030 on: November 19, 2013, 08:53:14 am »

((I think I understood your explanation more before you tried to compare amps to assembly compilers.

...Which lead me to a question: How do you compile the first compiler?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #17031 on: November 19, 2013, 10:13:20 am »

((I think I understood your explanation more before you tried to compare amps to assembly compilers.

...Which lead me to a question: How do you compile the first compiler?))
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 12:25:19 pm by Parisbre56 »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17032 on: November 19, 2013, 12:14:01 pm »

((Thankfully the amps use the Universe's assembly code, and changes in that hardware don't happen often. :P))

"Well... crap. There goes another one. And I can't even target the guy precisely."

Anton looks over the area that the Amper's hideout is situated under.

"Hm. Could try indirect..."

Take the MFM, focus. Try to heat a column of rock, around a foot thick and ten feet high, immediately above where I think the Amper is hiding, to melting point. Toss the MFM into the crater if it malfunctions.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17033 on: November 19, 2013, 12:28:04 pm »

((Thankfully the amps use the Universe's assembly code, and changes in that hardware don't happen often. :P))

"Well... crap. There goes another one. And I can't even target the guy precisely."

Anton looks over the area that the Amper's hideout is situated under.

"Hm. Could try indirect..."

Take the MFM, focus. Try to heat a column of rock, around a foot thick and ten feet high, immediately above where I think the Amper is hiding, to melting point. Toss the MFM into the crater if it malfunctions.
((this was basically my plan, except changing "if it malfunctions" to "make damn sure it malfunctions and turns the area under our wheelchaired friend into a molten path to the center of the planet"))

Indeed, I do this.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17034 on: November 19, 2013, 12:41:48 pm »

((Malfunctioning manipulators are not the path to success.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17035 on: November 19, 2013, 12:56:48 pm »

((Unless your definition of "success" includes "dying in a thermonuclear fireball but taking your enemies and/or teammates with you".))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #17036 on: November 19, 2013, 12:57:45 pm »

((Just get Renen to do it then run away.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17037 on: November 19, 2013, 01:53:14 pm »

((@ Sean, Kriellya and Paris: thanks for helping to explain, saves me quite some typing  :P ))

((Malfunctioning manipulators are not the path to success.))

((Ain't that the truth.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17038 on: November 19, 2013, 02:02:11 pm »

((well if said manipulator is on a timer...SUCCESS ENSUES))

Indeed, I do this.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #17039 on: November 19, 2013, 02:04:59 pm »

((Yeah, I think China-9 was technically a success, wasn't it?))
Pages: 1 ... 1134 1135 [1136] 1137 1138 ... 1256