Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1103 1104 [1105] 1106 1107 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3942249 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 11: Slash and Burn
« Reply #16560 on: October 18, 2013, 02:48:11 pm »

Lars looks around the room, barely paying attention to the screen at this point.  "I'm not sure, brother.  Glorious Steve, what was this room used for before ARES?  I feel a connection to the divine here.  Is ARES part of the divine hierarchy?  Should I be paying respects?"

Lars feels an urge to bow his head.

Feel for the divine.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16561 on: October 18, 2013, 02:56:29 pm »

(I'd like to try playing a game of Shadowrun sometime. :\)
((One was running a while back, but it fell apart.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16562 on: October 18, 2013, 02:59:11 pm »

((Wow, gotta love those overshoots.
Ahem, anyways, didn't think that namite could burn quite that hard. I'm wondering though: when it said 'level above you', that meant the level with the sods and the door right? Meaning we can just continue to that door?

I sooo hope I didn't just start the fire that will burn down this building. It really seems I underestimated the strength of this weapon. And here I thought this could be used as a low-power weapon for when using the deathlaser was too dangerous. Should have known though, in the hands of an avatar, everything is overpowered.))

"Well, that's... Happening. Erm, guess we at least won't have to worry about those sods anymore. I wonder how badly this building burns though. Let's hope the UWM knows how to make their structures fireproof.

Let's just keep going. Our suits are heat-resistant, I think they should be able to handle it. I'll ask Steve to be sure."

Inquire with Steve if our suits can take the heat in there, and if this building is resistant against stuff like this (aka if it's designed to deal with large fires breaking out, for example by having decently reinforced central supports).

If yes, peek up to check for enemies, if none are found move to the door we were heading for. Climb up from the hole and jump to the door if the floor isn't structurally sound enough anymore to carry me. If enemies are found, use SHORT laser pulse to deal with them, then continue as just detailed. Once at door, do quick check for any obvious traps, if none found smash through door and start going up (it doesn't matter if the stairs get mauled in this, my teammates can fly after all).

Edit: the canister I emptied was the one with 4/10 left, right? I just realised I didn't specify that, though that was the one that was still installed.

((EDIT: You know what, I think Miyamoto has done enough damage for some turns. Zako, Pariah, if you want to have your characters go up with him to shoot down remaining enemies, I'll change my action. Because I would actually be surprised at this point if shooting that laser didn't result in cutting the building in two.))
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:08:18 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16563 on: October 18, 2013, 03:58:17 pm »

@Jim:"I'm preety sure CAG 021 is the one we're looking for. Better ask Steve first to make sure, though." commented Flint as he watched the various cameras from the screens of his battlesuit's cockpit.

((My mistake. Ignore.))
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:29:42 pm by Parisbre56 »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16564 on: October 18, 2013, 06:13:12 pm »

Jim looked around. "Flint? How did you know it said that? Are you hacked into my cameras or something?"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:37:24 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16565 on: October 18, 2013, 06:25:50 pm »

((Damn. That's my mistake. Force of habit. Ignore that.

It's a leftover in my mind from Canary Base. We had access to each other's cameras there by default. I'm forgetting it's not the same here. That's what you get for spending about half a year in a mission...

Sorry.))
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:27:32 pm by Parisbre56 »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16566 on: October 18, 2013, 06:33:11 pm »

(No problem. Normally it would be a good idea, but in this mission where it's probable anyone can get mindjacked, if we were all linked to their cameras the controller would know where everyone is and how many people we have... along with a dozen other things I'm sure I haven't thought of.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 06:38:03 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16567 on: October 18, 2013, 07:11:23 pm »

boost jump up through the hole and over the swiss cheese portion of the floor then head  towards the control room sticking my gun arm around each corner to check for sods prior to actually passing it.

If sods are encountered blast them with lightning bolts whilst hiding behind my shield and/or cover
If sods are nuetralised continue onwards.
If locked doors are encountered try to override them and continue through.
If i fail to override any doors and they arent for the control room either use my heavy pulsed laser to remove them or have miyamoto punch it then continue onwards.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:00:42 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16568 on: October 18, 2013, 07:52:09 pm »

>You're basically there. Computers made with human brains retain not only the organic ability to reason and learn more easily, but also their thoughts and tendencies tend to be more recognizable, more human. A great deal of what makes a person human is, after all, tied up in the various chemicals that interact with their brain. Its not a matter of simply copying the organic structure of the brain, neurotransmitters, Serotonin, Dopamine, Melatonin,Noradrenaline, all these need to be supplied in the right amounts to have an emotional balance humans can understand. Doing it is difficult, but it's possible with an organic brain.
"So you really do feel... During the time I've spent with you I've noticed how... human you acted. But there always was some doubt. Now, don't get me wrong, I trust you, it's just that, I always had that doubt in the back of my head that the way you acted was just that, an act, a simulation to mask what you really are with no feelings behind it. Glad to see that's not the case. I'd always choose a can opener that cares about me over a God that simply follows orders, you know what I mean? I know what I'm saying isn't very logical... but then again, you aren't completely logical yourself, right?"
>Pure Ai's, even those modeled off human brains, quickly become difficult to interpret and predict. Their lines of logic are so harsh and unrestrained by emotion that people often find them cruel, or their reasoning incomprehensible. Truly pure AI's, those not modeled on humans at all, become increasingly alien as they gain more computational power. They became black boxes, super-sentient beings with rationals and knowledge that their creators couldn't fathom. This is all pre-altered war of course, the days of those inscrutable alien things are long gone.
"Yeah, well let's hope we never have to use them in the future. Or fight against such a thing. Who's to say how desperate the UWM will get in this war, if we actually manage to do well... But you really don't like them, do you?"
>But I'm rambling. The thing here is that we're made of brains to ease our communication with you. When we communicate with each other, there is no human interaction to compare it to. It is to mingle our minds in a way far more fundamental then you can imagine. Imagine if each molecule of your brain was something inherently tied to you. Now break them all down and blend them with the same of another person. This is how we speak.
Answer Steve: "I think I understand... No, that's a lie, I don't understand, I'd never be able to truly understand unless I experience it, I think. But I get the general idea. The genehackers I was with talked about something similar. The joining, a way to merge a group of human minds, to help them share each other, if I understood it correctly. So you're basically saying that you will... consume him, in a way? Dilute himself into you until you gain control? Because I'm guessing you've got way more 'molecules' then ARES. If it's something I won't be able to understand, just say so. At this point I'm just trying to understand whether he's going to be our friend or our hostage, is he in on this willingly?"
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 07:55:43 pm by Parisbre56 »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16569 on: October 18, 2013, 10:34:26 pm »

"Well... That was unpleasant. Let's get a move on!"

Give Auron a lift over the molten metal and to some solid ground, making sure not to touch the hot stuff with either of us. Continue towards the control room and keep Auron covered as we advance and make sure to check my fuel levels. Watch out for ambushes or traps and let Miyamoto go first while we stay back around a corner a bit just in case we come up on any corners that might hide amp or manipulator users.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #16570 on: October 19, 2013, 03:58:07 am »

perform robot dance, while waiting for the rest of the team to come back. Make transfomer noises during dance.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16571 on: October 19, 2013, 01:25:40 pm »

Jim scans the data and reports to Steve.

"Steve, it looks like the unique ones are: Somatotopic arrays, Organic substructure monitoring, and Slave-01-64. Know what any of these are? I'm kind of curious about the slave one." He looked over his shoulder at Mesk and Lars. "...Either of you know what these are, either?"

>Somatotopic arrays are probably the designation of ARES' sensor arrays over the planet's surface. The organic substructure is probably his organic core, and the Slave 1 through 64 are probably smaller, slaved computer systems used to automate sections of the planet. These are all subsystems of ARES. It's going to be something else.

Lars looks around the room, barely paying attention to the screen at this point.  "I'm not sure, brother.  Glorious Steve, what was this room used for before ARES?  I feel a connection to the divine here.  Is ARES part of the divine hierarchy?  Should I be paying respects?"

Lars feels an urge to bow his head.

Feel for the divine.

>ARES is somewhat like myself. Lesser and not as thoughtful though, a minotaur in this labyrinth.

perform robot dance, while waiting for the rest of the team to come back. Make transfomer noises during dance.
Yep, I found a video for this too.

>You're basically there. Computers made with human brains retain not only the organic ability to reason and learn more easily, but also their thoughts and tendencies tend to be more recognizable, more human. A great deal of what makes a person human is, after all, tied up in the various chemicals that interact with their brain. Its not a matter of simply copying the organic structure of the brain, neurotransmitters, Serotonin, Dopamine, Melatonin,Noradrenaline, all these need to be supplied in the right amounts to have an emotional balance humans can understand. Doing it is difficult, but it's possible with an organic brain.
"So you really do feel... During the time I've spent with you I've noticed how... human you acted. But there always was some doubt. Now, don't get me wrong, I trust you, it's just that, I always had that doubt in the back of my head that the way you acted was just that, an act, a simulation to mask what you really are with no feelings behind it. Glad to see that's not the case. I'd always choose a can opener that cares about me over a God that simply follows orders, you know what I mean? I know what I'm saying isn't very logical... but then again, you aren't completely logical yourself, right?"
>Pure Ai's, even those modeled off human brains, quickly become difficult to interpret and predict. Their lines of logic are so harsh and unrestrained by emotion that people often find them cruel, or their reasoning incomprehensible. Truly pure AI's, those not modeled on humans at all, become increasingly alien as they gain more computational power. They became black boxes, super-sentient beings with rationals and knowledge that their creators couldn't fathom. This is all pre-altered war of course, the days of those inscrutable alien things are long gone.
"Yeah, well let's hope we never have to use them in the future. Or fight against such a thing. Who's to say how desperate the UWM will get in this war, if we actually manage to do well... But you really don't like them, do you?"
>But I'm rambling. The thing here is that we're made of brains to ease our communication with you. When we communicate with each other, there is no human interaction to compare it to. It is to mingle our minds in a way far more fundamental then you can imagine. Imagine if each molecule of your brain was something inherently tied to you. Now break them all down and blend them with the same of another person. This is how we speak.
Answer Steve: "I think I understand... No, that's a lie, I don't understand, I'd never be able to truly understand unless I experience it, I think. But I get the general idea. The genehackers I was with talked about something similar. The joining, a way to merge a group of human minds, to help them share each other, if I understood it correctly. So you're basically saying that you will... consume him, in a way? Dilute himself into you until you gain control? Because I'm guessing you've got way more 'molecules' then ARES. If it's something I won't be able to understand, just say so. At this point I'm just trying to understand whether he's going to be our friend or our hostage, is he in on this willingly?"

>Speaking to the degree of my humanity is a difficult subject. Unlike you, I can chose to override my emotions if they become a hindrance. Though I try not to; emotions can be an equal strength and hindrance, but they have their place in dealing with beings that are shackled, or perhaps blessed, with them.

>I don't dislike them, I simply recognize their lack of use in their current form. Humanity ill needs another dubious artifact of their own creation. Especially one that one day decides it's going to speak to them via the medium of controlled gamma ray bursts.

>Something like that. I will flow into him, and change him. I don't know if he will fight back. But, I will either subdue him and bring him to our cause, or I will consume him, and place something like him back in his stead.

((Wow, gotta love those overshoots.
Ahem, anyways, didn't think that namite could burn quite that hard. I'm wondering though: when it said 'level above you', that meant the level with the sods and the door right? Meaning we can just continue to that door?

I sooo hope I didn't just start the fire that will burn down this building. It really seems I underestimated the strength of this weapon. And here I thought this could be used as a low-power weapon for when using the deathlaser was too dangerous. Should have known though, in the hands of an avatar, everything is overpowered.))

"Well, that's... Happening. Erm, guess we at least won't have to worry about those sods anymore. I wonder how badly this building burns though. Let's hope the UWM knows how to make their structures fireproof.

Let's just keep going. Our suits are heat-resistant, I think they should be able to handle it. I'll ask Steve to be sure."

Inquire with Steve if our suits can take the heat in there, and if this building is resistant against stuff like this (aka if it's designed to deal with large fires breaking out, for example by having decently reinforced central supports).

If yes, peek up to check for enemies, if none are found move to the door we were heading for. Climb up from the hole and jump to the door if the floor isn't structurally sound enough anymore to carry me. If enemies are found, use SHORT laser pulse to deal with them, then continue as just detailed. Once at door, do quick check for any obvious traps, if none found smash through door and start going up (it doesn't matter if the stairs get mauled in this, my teammates can fly after all).

Edit: the canister I emptied was the one with 4/10 left, right? I just realised I didn't specify that, though that was the one that was still installed.

((EDIT: You know what, I think Miyamoto has done enough damage for some turns. Zako, Pariah, if you want to have your characters go up with him to shoot down remaining enemies, I'll change my action. Because I would actually be surprised at this point if shooting that laser didn't result in cutting the building in two.))
"Well... That was unpleasant. Let's get a move on!"

Give Auron a lift over the molten metal and to some solid ground, making sure not to touch the hot stuff with either of us. Continue towards the control room and keep Auron covered as we advance and make sure to check my fuel levels. Watch out for ambushes or traps and let Miyamoto go first while we stay back around a corner a bit just in case we come up on any corners that might hide amp or manipulator users.
boost jump up through the hole and over the swiss cheese portion of the floor then head  towards the control room sticking my gun arm around each corner to check for sods prior to actually passing it.

If sods are encountered blast them with lightning bolts whilst hiding behind my shield and/or cover
If sods are nuetralised continue onwards.
If locked doors are encountered try to override them and continue through.
If i fail to override any doors and they arent for the control room either use my heavy pulsed laser to remove them or have miyamoto punch it then continue onwards.
Miyamoto and Co. Peek their heads up into the  hallway after Bishop has managed to disentangle himself from the snackfood. The hall is glowing cherry red and it's former inhabitants are conspicuously absent. It takes a bit of doing, waiting for it to cool a bit and then hopping or being thrown over the holes in the ground, but the team manages to make to the blast door. Miyamoto easily bends the heat weakened metal and the team come to the final stretch: A large stairway winding upwards. It takes a hard right angle just ahead, and steve says that it goes through a few rotations before reaching the control room.

>It has no windows, but It's gonna be guarded. Probably booby trapped. This is their last line of defense. Oh, and when you get up to the control room, do me a favor and turn on the fire suppression systems. Those seem not to have been triggered for some reason. Also, you may want to hold on to something, I have a feeling you may be experiencing a blastwave here in a moment.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16572 on: October 19, 2013, 02:09:24 pm »

Jim tapped his fingers on the console. "What about these designations: SCI 023 Fiber, SCI 033 Fiber, CAG 021 Fiber, BIN 032 Metalink, and BIN 059 Metalink?"

Jim asks the above.

Kriellya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16573 on: October 19, 2013, 03:15:21 pm »

(( .... 'about to feel a blastwave', huh? PW... I hate you. XD

I think I'm going to go prep a new sheet real quick. No reason. ))

(( I take back everything, PW. That was amazing  :D ))
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 05:41:51 pm by Kriellya »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16574 on: October 19, 2013, 05:46:40 pm »

Brace for impact then begin making my way upwards carefully checking for booby traps, shoot any sods who appear.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 1103 1104 [1105] 1106 1107 ... 1256