Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1102 1103 [1104] 1105 1106 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3942357 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 11: Slash and Burn
« Reply #16545 on: October 17, 2013, 07:16:30 pm »

((Back then we didn't have a galaxy to save, and because of incidents like those, we have to be extra careful now. Hrmm. Piecewise, if we hadn't killed so many civilians before the revolt, would our image have been a little better? I'm assuming yes, but assuming makes an ass out of you and me.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #16546 on: October 17, 2013, 07:18:44 pm »

((When did this saving the galaxy coming around?))
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16547 on: October 17, 2013, 08:05:32 pm »

ARES COMMUNICATION PROTOCOLS DEVELOPED BY INGRAM ARMS AND RELATED OFFWORLD SUBSIDIARIES

“Ingram :God of Guns: Ingram the distant blow, Ingram the steel rain.”

The picture on the opposing page shows a very muscular man drawing back an arrow in a frankly massive bow. It's no where near as detailed as the other pictures and appears to be just a rough, unfinished sketch. The symbol at the bottom of the page is an arrow.
“Ingram is god of the loosed arrow, of the hissing shrapnel, of the screaming bullet, of the thrown brick, of all things which man propels towards his foes to bring death from a distance. Place his mark upon your guns, your bullets, your magazines, anything which brings death from afar, and surely they shall remain forever reliable and never turn against you.”

((O RLY))

Lars sits up and looks around.  There is General Jim and Brother Mesk... where are they again?

"Greetings, brothers?  What is happening?  I have just been blessed with a divine vision, it seems."

Did I mention that pretty much all the gods in the HMRC pantheon have connections to the in game world at large? Many aspects of them have traceable origins, if anyone was inclined to look.

Oh and since Jim's question is fast:

>Enter "Display Available connections"

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16548 on: October 17, 2013, 08:21:43 pm »

"Right, thanks."

Jim types:

>Display Available connections

as Steve said.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16549 on: October 17, 2013, 08:48:33 pm »

((When did this saving the galaxy coming around?))
((This mission. We rebelled against the United Worlds of Man because Steve was tasked with preserving the human race. Under the UWM the human race has stagnated and the governing body has become bloated and uncaring, if not corrupt. For Steve to complete his purpose, the UWM must fall.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16550 on: October 17, 2013, 09:00:57 pm »

((Wow, nice storyline, good job PW))
Alan help.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #16551 on: October 17, 2013, 09:11:36 pm »

Lars looked over Jim's arm.  "I still have much to learn... I would have thought control systems would have been outside the domain of Ingram.  Great Glorious Steve, does this control the weapon systems of the planet?"

Ask Steve, then search the control system for things of importance, whether religious or related to the mission at large.

"Who's the dead guy, anyway?"

Did I mention that pretty much all the gods in the HMRC pantheon have connections to the in game world at large? Many aspects of them have traceable origins, if anyone was inclined to look.

((This really makes sense.  If you're huddled in a hole on an alien hellhole, whimpering with your rifle over your face, seeing the word INGRAM written on it might be just the thing to give you something to pray to.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see an Algis Corp making the MK suits.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16552 on: October 17, 2013, 09:33:26 pm »

>Have you ever heard of Colossus: The Forbin Project? A good movie, from the late 1900's AD. It touches on the difficulties of human interactions with machines. Might be worth watching.
((Yeah, great movie. Nice story that maintains a level of realism and raises some good philosophical questions. If you think about it, Steve is similar to a smarter Colossus, that has realized that helping mankind is better done indirectly. Not as effective in the short term, but maybe better in the long term.))
"I'm sorry. On our home system, information and communication with the outside world was strictly controlled. The government believed it would help maintain their power. All the knowledge I have of the outside world that wasn't filtered by the theocracy comes from the time I spent with those genehackers, from accessing a databank they had brought from off world. But it does sound interesting. I'll look into it when the mission is over... Heh! Funny, eh? Being imprisoned into the HMRC gave me access to all this wealth of info and yet I prefer to spend my time on these missions. I feel like I have to do something, something that will justify my existence before it's too late. Kinda makes me wish I volunteered for the HMRC when I was younger. If only I'd known..."

"Bah, why am I bothering you with that stuff? You're not my shrink..."

>Regardless, let me preface this with some history: Do you know the reason why Wetware AI's became popular?  Why they basically completely overtook purely artificial AI's? Cost is a factor, but there is more to it then that.
Answer Steve: "I don't know..." Flint began to answer Steve, thinking out loud. "Brains are more malleable, more... fuzzy in their inputs and outputs. Many of their parts can be adjusted, re-purposed to fill new roles. They can adapt, self-repair, even completely change their function given the right drugs... They can make decisions based on experience and hunches instead of pure logic. And of course, they don't need giant databases to learn and adapt. Or maybe it's that human brains can use amps... So maybe it's so that they can use amps? Nah, that wouldn't make sense. Why give all AIs that ability? Brains can be altered with amps? Maintained and altered from far away... But that's not what you're going to do here... It could be a safeguard. A way to ensure all AIs eventually degrade and die or at least change... but there's nothing preventing you from cloning all the humans you need if you decided to do away with human civilization... Or maybe that brings them closer to humans? Makes the AIs more human-like? But an organic brain doesn't guarantee human-like thought, like so many aliens have shown us... I have no idea. As you probably know, I'm neither the smartest nor the most knowledgeable man around. Anything of what I said even slightly on target?"
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 09:36:31 pm by Parisbre56 »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16553 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:19 pm »

Get deeper into cover as much as possible, curl into a ball and cover my neck and head with my hands. Make sure to keep my rocket tanks away from the grenades!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16554 on: October 18, 2013, 02:26:28 pm »

"Right, thanks."

Jim types:

>Display Available connections

as Steve said.

Code: [Select]
>Display Available Connections
Connection error: Majority connections read failure: mechanical damage.
Displaying remaining
SMID 2004 Fiber
SMID 3002 Fiber
SMID 203 Metalink
Reactor fail-safe 01
Reactor fail-safe 02
Reactor fail-safe 03
Reactor fail-safe 04
Reactor fail-safe 05
Reactor fail-safe 06
Reactor fail-safe 07
Reactor fail-safe 08
Reactor fail-safe 09
Reactor fail-safe 10
Reactor fail-safe 11
Reactor fail-safe 12
Reactor fail-safe 13
Reactor fail-safe 14
Reactor fail-safe 15
Reactor fail-safe 16
[data truncated]
Reactor fail-safe 5230
Connection nodes 1-50
Somatotopic arrays
Organic substructure monitoring
Slave-01-64
SCI 023 Fiber
SCI 033 Fiber
CAG 021 Fiber
BIN 032 Metalink
BIN 059 Metalink
Wireless 1220
Wireless 1946
Wireless B777

Peek over Jim's shoulder and try to give advice.
[aux:3+2]
"Milno's team must have severed most of the connection. We're probably looking for a unique connection, since I doubt there are a lot of ships connecting right now."

>Have you ever heard of Colossus: The Forbin Project? A good movie, from the late 1900's AD. It touches on the difficulties of human interactions with machines. Might be worth watching.
((Yeah, great movie. Nice story that maintains a level of realism and raises some good philosophical questions. If you think about it, Steve is similar to a smarter Colossus, that has realized that helping mankind is better done indirectly. Not as effective in the short term, but maybe better in the long term.))
"I'm sorry. On our home system, information and communication with the outside world was strictly controlled. The government believed it would help maintain their power. All the knowledge I have of the outside world that wasn't filtered by the theocracy comes from the time I spent with those genehackers, from accessing a databank they had brought from off world. But it does sound interesting. I'll look into it when the mission is over... Heh! Funny, eh? Being imprisoned into the HMRC gave me access to all this wealth of info and yet I prefer to spend my time on these missions. I feel like I have to do something, something that will justify my existence before it's too late. Kinda makes me wish I volunteered for the HMRC when I was younger. If only I'd known..."

"Bah, why am I bothering you with that stuff? You're not my shrink..."

>Regardless, let me preface this with some history: Do you know the reason why Wetware AI's became popular?  Why they basically completely overtook purely artificial AI's? Cost is a factor, but there is more to it then that.
Answer Steve: "I don't know..." Flint began to answer Steve, thinking out loud. "Brains are more malleable, more... fuzzy in their inputs and outputs. Many of their parts can be adjusted, re-purposed to fill new roles. They can adapt, self-repair, even completely change their function given the right drugs... They can make decisions based on experience and hunches instead of pure logic. And of course, they don't need giant databases to learn and adapt. Or maybe it's that human brains can use amps... So maybe it's so that they can use amps? Nah, that wouldn't make sense. Why give all AIs that ability? Brains can be altered with amps? Maintained and altered from far away... But that's not what you're going to do here... It could be a safeguard. A way to ensure all AIs eventually degrade and die or at least change... but there's nothing preventing you from cloning all the humans you need if you decided to do away with human civilization... Or maybe that brings them closer to humans? Makes the AIs more human-like? But an organic brain doesn't guarantee human-like thought, like so many aliens have shown us... I have no idea. As you probably know, I'm neither the smartest nor the most knowledgeable man around. Anything of what I said even slightly on target?"

>You're basically there. Computers made with human brains retain not only the organic ability to reason and learn more easily, but also their thoughts and tendencies tend to be more recognizable, more human. A great deal of what makes a person human is, after all, tied up in the various chemicals that interact with their brain. Its not a matter of simply copying the organic structure of the brain, neurotransmitters, Serotonin, Dopamine, Melatonin,Noradrenaline, all these need to be supplied in the right amounts to have an emotional balance humans can understand. Doing it is difficult, but it's possible with an organic brain.

Pure Ai's, even those modeled off human brains, quickly become difficult to interpret and predict. Their lines of logic are so harsh and unrestrained by emotion that people often find them cruel, or their reasoning incomprehensible. Truly pure AI's, those not modeled on humans at all, become increasingly alien as they gain more computational power. They became black boxes, super-sentient beings with rationals and knowledge that their creators couldn't fathom. This is all pre-altered war of course, the days of those inscrutable alien things are long gone.

But I'm rambling. The thing here is that we're made of brains to ease our communication with you. When we communicate with each other, there is no human interaction to compare it to. It is to mingle our minds in a way far more fundamental then you can imagine. Imagine if each molecule of your brain was something inherently tied to you. Now break them all down and blend them with the same of another person. This is how we speak.

Lars looked over Jim's arm.  "I still have much to learn... I would have thought control systems would have been outside the domain of Ingram.  Great Glorious Steve, does this control the weapon systems of the planet?"

Ask Steve, then search the control system for things of importance, whether religious or related to the mission at large.

"Who's the dead guy, anyway?"

((This really makes sense.  If you're huddled in a hole on an alien hellhole, whimpering with your rifle over your face, seeing the word INGRAM written on it might be just the thing to give you something to pray to.  It wouldn't surprise me at all to see an Algis Corp making the MK suits.))

>No, but it was manufactured by Ingram Arms, which is usually a weapons manufacturer. Or rather it was done by their software subsidiary, Keltec. Same ones who made the control software for the Battlesuit, actually.

The entire room has a strangely religious connotation to it, with it's central dais and dim, green lighting.

Get deeper into cover as much as possible, curl into a ball and cover my neck and head with my hands. Make sure to keep my rocket tanks away from the grenades!
You burrow deeper into the vending machine, holding packets of junkfood out in front of you like a shield.

oh shit...

run for cover keeping the shield between me and the grenades.

After detonation move closer to the hole and try to get a shot off at the sods responsible.

"Take cover!"

Move in to shield my teammates from blast, use vector amp to send those grenades back in there. Or catch 'em and throw them back, whatever is fastest/most convenient.

After that, stick up thermite thrower and spray the hallway. Empty the canister (that stuff burns a while right? If so, that should help providing some 'cover', or at least make it harder for UE to hit us.)

If I get any more actions after this, jump through the ceiling next to the hole (to create a bit of a 'smokescreen' for cover) and sweep laser, focusing on the black clad man and the two civs.

((Problem: those two may be civvies, being used/mindcontrolled and killing them is heartless. Then again, the obviously important looking man may be a decoy, the real threat being the seemingly harmless one. It's one of those situations where you have to wonder if the GM has set up an obvious trap for the players, but then again he might know we'd see through that and set it up 'straight' anyway. But he may know that too...))
[con:5+1]
Between Auron's shield and backpedaling and your stepping between him and the blast, he manages to completely avoid injury. Your Cloak eats up a lot of the force as well, but some manages to tear through...and plink off your armor. You sigh and jam the end of your thermite thrower into the hole.  You drain the entire tank, lazily  sweeping it back and forth. Any screams are lost within the roar of the flame. You pull the thermite thrower out and turn to your teammates.

"See, nothing to worry ab-"

And then the molten contents of the level above you starts to burn in through the ceiling. White hot flows of molten metal turn the ceiling into swiss cheese and start dozens of fires as they continue burning down through the floor.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16555 on: October 18, 2013, 02:35:11 pm »

Jim scans the data and reports to Steve.

"Steve, it looks like the unique ones are: Somatotopic arrays, Organic substructure monitoring, and Slave-01-64. Know what any of these are? I'm kind of curious about the slave one." He looked over his shoulder at Mesk and Lars. "...Either of you know what these are, either?"
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #16556 on: October 18, 2013, 02:39:40 pm »

"I'd assume if they're using a wetware processor the 'organic substructure monitoring' would refer to that."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16557 on: October 18, 2013, 02:43:26 pm »

((Speaking as a one-time Shadowrun decker, it could well be some kind of mechanical system controlled by the system.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16558 on: October 18, 2013, 02:46:07 pm »

(( it could mean its hiding a genetically altered monster and that is just the machine making sure it doesn't mutate to fast))
Alan help.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #16559 on: October 18, 2013, 02:46:28 pm »

"Makes sense." Jim crossed his upper arms, the fingers of the left one tapping the right bicep thoughtfully, as his lower hands rested on the keyboard, ready to continue working as commanded.

(I'd like to try playing a game of Shadowrun sometime. :\)
Pages: 1 ... 1102 1103 [1104] 1105 1106 ... 1256