Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3882379 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 11: Assault
« Reply #16080 on: September 20, 2013, 01:26:22 pm »

((@piecewise: If i were to fire randomly at the end of the gangway with gungnir would the electricity flowing through the floor stun or kill the civilians?

@SC: you want me to boost jim up onto one of the containers so that you can use your amp with clear line if sight to the sods?

waltz over to the nearest hover trolley things, Begin guiding them into the hangar individually whilst waiting for the civilians to finish evacuating.

Once the civilians finish their evacuation or if the sods get reinforcements return to formation and provide covering fire for the rest of the team.
))
You clap your hands, shout "WELP, TIME TO DO MANUAL LABOR!" and immediately begin shoving crates into the ship's hold.

Also, yeah, shooting unarmored civilians with the electricity from a Tesla carried via the medium of a laser is probably an extremely poor idea.

(You hurt civvies and I'll have to mace you, dude. And I don't mean pepper-spray. >:c Anyway, I would get on a crate, but that would make me quite the exposed target... so I have another idea, assuming it works. :P)

Jim climbs up and clings to Miyamoto's back with both legs and three arms (since one is holding a weapon), positioned so his head is just over Miya's shoulder where he can get a good view of everything in case he needs to use his amps. And he will use it on the Sods, assuming they launch an offensive. Otherwise, he just watches and waits so as not to endanger civilians unnecessarily.
You cling to Miyamoto like alcoholism to Thomas. You have a good view of the Sods from here, though they continue not to attack. Hmm, wonder if it's like steve said, these ones have only been told to hold their ground and prevent people from entering.

Calmly walk up to the sods and talk to them. Don't accidentally step on any civilians along the way.
"Hey there. Can I touch you?"
If permission is given, touch them and activate the electrified surface defense system.

If permission is not given, do the "Hey, what's that behind you?" trick and then forcefully touch them/grab them/punch them and activate the electricity.

It takes a great deal of jostling and shoving and very slowly moving forward while dragging your feet so as not to step on anyone's toes, but you eventually manage to make it up to the sods.

"Can I touch you?"

The sod closest to you, one of four clustered around the door, seems to think you're addressing him in particular. Your question does not seem like one that he's entirely sure how to answer. He just sort of stands there, head lulling around like he's trying to shake the answer out forcibly.

"I'm just gonna touch ya."

[aux:3+1]
You poke the sod in the head and electrical current hums across your armor and down into his face. He jerks violently for a moment, flesh blackening around your finger, before he jerks away and falls flat on his back.
[dex:1+1]
You don't even notice the other sods moving until they've closed the distance. Two of them lunge in close, drawing heavy metal batons as the move and jam them straight into the spaces in your knee joints, locking them up. The third, moves in front of you, ducks low and presses the release on your suit's hatch.
[Aux:2]
You fumble to override the external signal but you're not fast enough, and the hatch swings open.
[Dex:5+1]
The Sod is clambering up into your cockpit before the hatch is even all the way open, leading with his rifle. You panic, grasping wildly until you manage to grab one of his legs and tear him back out, partially crushing him in the process. You swing his body in a wide arc and hurl him off the gangway, smashing several civilians in the process. None go over the rail, thankfully, but they're certainly injured.

[Jim exo:2+2]
One of the remaining sods, the one on your left, crumples to the ground as his head is torn clean off his shoulders. It flies off into the distance like a homerun hit.

Lars glances over at Auron.  "Brother Auron, why are you loading supplies on to the ship now?  We have a mission to accomplish!"

Continue to seek opportunity to fire.  Continue not to shoot civilians.

The Crowd continues to block the way when it comes to traditional methods of long range murder. 

"I really should learn how to like...call down pillars of burning sulfur or something. I mean, I am a cleric after all."

Bishop sighs and shakes his head. "Stop fucking around with the trolleys Auron. You need to focus on the assault. You can get some of the trolleys when we come back."

Stop that idiot from running off to push trolleys and keep advancing, moving from cover to cover.
You Grab Auron and drag him away from his manual labor, dumping him behind a crate just as flint is attacked.

"I have a bad feeling about this, guys. Something is very wrong with those sods. Shall I euthanize them?"

Advance with arms stretched, ready to fire when hell breaks loose.
You advance in a slow zombie walk, arms out, internal Gatling mechanisms spinning up with a metallic whirrrrrrr. The last sod is ducked low, behind the crowd and Flint's leg. Hitting him from this angle is pretty much impossible. All you can do is wait as these last scattered members of the crowd file out.

((Funny how that little discussion before was rendered moot since we didn't even get a chance to do anything before the civvies started running.))

Allow/help Jim with piggyback riding the Avatar. Or just put him on my shoulders, whatever works.

Keep going forward, not stepping on peeps, you know the drill.

((By the way: if you have the time, would you feel like linking me to a photo of how an AoW is supposed to look like? You did this a few times in the past in regards to how a battlesuit looks like, which helped tremendously with picturing that correctly. Currently, I have this weird image of it looking like an AoW from WH40K, but sans the burning and with more metal plating.

"Hey Jim, now might be the time to use your amp. I mean, with that decomp you should be able to use it without collateral damage, and quietly frying their brain or heatblading their neck might be the quickest solution."

((@Paris: wait, what are you trying exactly? Cause walking to the sods means either getting in line with me behind the civilians or flying over to them.))

((@Pariah: This is a perfect example of why we're pooling our loot at the end of the mission: so people won't get caught up trying to gather shinies. Not that I terribly mind you doing this while we're forced to wait anyway, but it does look kinda weird. Does Auron have ADD by any chance? ))
You find yourself stuck in the same position Lukas is in, unable to fire for fear of injuring civies and perhaps Flint. Damn, being the good guy is a lot harder then indiscriminate murder.

As per what the avatar looks like, I'll describe it plainly without obfuscating behind the descriptive metaphors and similes and analogies I'm so damn fond of.

Ok, so imagine a synthflesh man. Easy enough right? If you've forgotten they basically look like living marble statues, but with the musculature extremely defined, to the point that it practically has black lines outlining every muscle. Now, take that synthflesh man and blow him up a bit, giving him and exaggerated, broad shouldered, thick limbed, hulking bruiser of a frame. Then make him 5 meters tall, stretch his neck to be just a little too long and his face into a sort of elongated snout, like this. You know it's long because of the shape of the armor, but exactly what it looks like under there, you can't tell, the armor covers it. It's got 6 eyes, two on each side and two in front, plus more cameras hooked up across the armor.

Now the armor itself is black- a nice contrast on the white flesh- and it covers basically your entire damn body. It's angular, covered in sharp corners and hard edges, designed so that blows or bullets tend to hit at an angle and deflect, rather then hitting a nice flat surface and dumping all their kinetic energy right into it. The armor covers everything except your joints, and those are covered by an interior mesh of cloth armor stretched between the hard armor plates. Over that, is the cloak, which basically starts at your shoulders and hangs down around your entire body, leaving only that jagged, black metal head of yours exposed.

(Hmm, that reminds me.)

Attempt to commune with the machines within.
Nope. Your little internal machines don't seem too interested in what you're thinking.

On a side note, an interesting bit of trivia about mesk:
The machines inside him are small, but not THAT small. We're talking about the size of your thumbnail. So astute observers of him might notice that they can literally see things crawling around under his skin occasionally.

OH, ALSO ASSUME THE CIVIES ARE ALL CLEAR NOW!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 02:26:37 pm by piecewise »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16081 on: September 20, 2013, 01:32:36 pm »

((I wonder if Mesk or Milno can use their abilities to alter the bodies of other humans...))
((Dunno if Milno's stuff could be used or transferred to other people, but he does have a lot of microorganisms living in symbiosis with his body due to his long exposure to sharkmist. The new scars in his chest are probably from those sharkmist tendrils that were wriggling out of his body. Or something.))
You help milno out of his suit and into the pod. He's an absolute fucking mess; the suit has blood pooled in it's boots right up to the knees and tiny black shards of growing macromist have punctured his chest and are sprouting up all over his body, tearing their way out from inside. You lay him in the pod, limp and barely conscious without the suit keeping him up, an close the door.
((Yep, that's about right.

Edit due to being ninjaed: And then the plague of "not waiting until the civilians are safe to do stuff" happened.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16082 on: September 20, 2013, 01:33:28 pm »

As per what the avatar looks like, I'll describe it plainly without obfuscating behind the descriptive metaphors and similes and analogies I'm so damn fond of.

Ok, so imagine a synthflesh man. Easy enough right? If you've forgotten they basically look like living marble statues, but with the musculature extremely defined, to the point that it practically has black lines outlining every muscle. Now, take that synthflesh man and blow him up a bit, giving him and exaggerated, broad shouldered, thick limbed, hulking bruiser of a frame. Then make him 5 meters tall, stretch his neck to be just a little too long and his face into a sort of elongated snout, like this. You know it's long because of the shape of the armor, but exactly what it looks like under there, you can't tell, the armor covers it. It's got 6 eyes, two on each side and two in front, plus more cameras hooked up across the armor.

Now the armor itself is black- a nice contrast on the white flesh- and it covers basically your entire damn body. It's angular, covered in sharp corners and hard edges, designed so that blows or bullets tend to hit at an angle and deflect, rather then hitting a nice flat surface and dumping all their kinetic energy right into it. The armor covers everything except your joints, and those are covered by an interior mesh of cloth armor stretched between the hard armor plates. Over that, is the cloak, which basically starts at your shoulders and hangs down around your entire body, leaving only that jagged, black metal head of yours exposed.

((That sounds like a wicked awesome thing to draw. Just sayin.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #16083 on: September 20, 2013, 01:44:57 pm »

((That sounds like a wicked awesome thing to draw. Just sayin.))
Go for it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16084 on: September 20, 2013, 01:48:40 pm »

((Experiment sucessful. See? Now we got some good data. And I didn't kill any civilians!

I imagined I would keep moving with the end of the civilians. Should had clarified that. EDIT: Also, I could had touched two sods. I did say "touch THEM".))

"Those bastards are idiots but they know how to fight. We've got injured. Support team, get a medic here."

Get my suit back to normal (close hatch, remove batons, etc) while using my hands to protect myself.

When suit is back to normal kill final sod (if he isn't dead already) with melee attacks.

Remember I can use my monorazor if the situation calls for it (sod gets too close to the human inside the suit, etc).

Peek at what lies beyond the doors with multiple vision modes. Use provided stimuli to identify number and position of enemies and civilians.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 06:24:46 pm by Parisbre56 »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #16085 on: September 20, 2013, 01:49:27 pm »

(Do it!  Also oh god I thought they were nanobots this whole time.  That's creepy.)

"Almost clear..."
Try aiming/prepping a shot from the pyramid for a dynamic bonus.  Aim above everyone's heads, for the far wall.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16086 on: September 20, 2013, 02:02:16 pm »

((Hrmm. Mesk might actually be able to feel them crawling around..... Fuuuuuuuuck.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16087 on: September 20, 2013, 02:04:00 pm »

((I imagined I would keep moving with the end of the civilians. Should had clarified that.))

((I also thought so, to be honest. On the bright side, no civilians were killed and as long as nothing else bad happens, it'll have been a minor problem.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16088 on: September 20, 2013, 02:08:46 pm »

((Yeah, they're effective, but dangerous since they are machines and not biological in nature. Machines can be hacked, and with all those medical micromachines spread throughout his body, if they go bad then it gets really messy, really quick.))
((Hm...or, if properly programmed...Pariah, have you gotten far enough in Worm to see Panacea's full potential?))

((I wonder if Mesk or Milno can use their abilities to alter the bodies of other humans...))
((...That. Would be. Awesome.))

You don't even notice the other sods moving until they've closed the distance. Two of them lunge in close, drawing heavy metal batons as the move and jam them straight into the spaces in your knee joints, locking them up. The third, moves in front of you, ducks low and presses the release on your suit's hatch.
((A sod can find the release...Who designed this suit?))

((Oh. I thought Avatars of War were like Space Marine Dreadnaughts--machines that living people are hooked into.))

((Dunno if Milno's stuff could be used or transferred to other people, but he does have a lot of microorganisms living in symbiosis with his body due to his long exposure to sharkmist. The new scars in his chest are probably from those sharkmist tendrils that were wriggling out of his body. Or something.))
((What is sharkmist, anyways? Tiny floating sharks or something?))

Also oh god I thought they were nanobots this whole time.  That's creepy.)
((Hm...maybe a bit. Not too bad, though.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16089 on: September 20, 2013, 02:12:28 pm »

((Genetically modified microbes that aliens used as construction units. They manifest as a grey mist that can self replicate and generate fractal structures. They also operate at frequencies that can amplify human emotions to the point of causing civil wars if tensions are high enough. They can cause a 'grey goo' scenario. Due to their manifestation as a grey entity that consumed paraphernalia, the HMRC, in it's boundless historical and scientific knowledge, misidentified them initially as sharks.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16090 on: September 20, 2013, 02:13:41 pm »

((Genetically modified microbes that aliens used as construction units. They manifest as a grey mist that can self replicate and generate fractal structures. They also operate at frequencies that can amplify human emotions to the point of causing civil wars if tensions are high enough. They can cause a 'grey goo' scenario. Due to their manifestation as a grey entity that consumed paraphernalia, the HMRC, in it's boundless historical and scientific knowledge, misidentified them initially as sharks.))
((...How do you do that?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #16091 on: September 20, 2013, 02:14:14 pm »

((A sod can find the release...Who designed this suit?))
((The same people employing the Sods. Don't forget, they're not really dumb. They're just combat-focused. They're smart, but only where it counts for fighting. This includes having the layout of all standard UWM gear memorized.))

((What is sharkmist, anyways? Tiny floating sharks or something?))
((It's the cloud form of a bioweapon bacteria, from mission... seven? It was called sharkmist because it was grey and tended to consume anything that touched it.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16092 on: September 20, 2013, 02:16:30 pm »

((Well in all fairness, it was also vulnerable to intense heat and was somewhat territorial. Like sharks.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #16093 on: September 20, 2013, 02:19:23 pm »

((Well in all fairness, it was also vulnerable to intense heat and was somewhat territorial. Like sharks.))
((Who the hell coined the term sharkmist, anyway? I can't really remember how we came to calling it that.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #16094 on: September 20, 2013, 02:28:22 pm »

((There's a difference between being smart and being well trained. Sods are well trained but if faced with something new they'll be unable to cope.))
Pages: 1 ... 1071 1072 [1073] 1074 1075 ... 1256