Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3936934 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: The Curse of Ivan Continues.
« Reply #15915 on: August 27, 2013, 06:41:13 pm »

"Assuming we use all of our available equipment we might be able to put a man about halfway to orbit. But it would be a suicide mission. Even if he doesn't encounter something anomalous, the Sword won't be able to get to him on time and he won't have enough fuel to land safely or achieve an orbit. He'll either burn up in the atmosphere or crash. Better (and safer) strap a datapad there and have it act as a relay and SOS message. Assuming everything we're trying right now fails." I'm being the voice of reason? Advocating we play it safe? Surely the world is coming to an end.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:44:47 pm by Parisbre56 »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15916 on: August 27, 2013, 06:52:08 pm »

Might I note that the planetoid has no atmosphere, and that the local gravity would likely allow us to get something pretty damn high, if not orbit?

Not that I want to be the final stage of a rocket, but if I absolutely must...
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15917 on: August 27, 2013, 06:58:55 pm »

"Anton forgot to count Bishop's pods, the fuel from the drones that we can use to refill them, whatever's left inside that trailer in the parts we scavenged from the half-shuttle, and whatever's Miaymoto has inside him. Sorry, Gilgamesh. As far as I know, broken doesn't mean fuelless.

But no, I will be the first person to admit that I do not know of how practical this is. Just an idea in case simply reaching him with our radios fails."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:01:16 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15918 on: August 27, 2013, 07:06:50 pm »

"There's a sandstorm coming here from the borders, correct? I can't see how a sandstorm can be coming here if there's no atmosphere beyond the borders. And the local gravity is 0,8G. We might be able to get something to maybe... 700 miles up? If we sent it straight up, assuming we used all of our resources perfectly. Enough for a beacon or a flare or an automated transmitter, not enough for a human.

Hmmm... A flare... Why don't we just have Lukas shoot his big gun straight up? That ought to be seen from light years away."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:30:37 pm by Parisbre56 »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #15919 on: August 27, 2013, 07:48:16 pm »

Mesk sighs in relief after receiving the broken transmission.  After what seems to have been forever, the team is going home.
"Well, it's about damn time."
Join up with the main group if I'm not already and watch the Sword come in.

(Wait, I can't remember, do we have anything airworthy left at this point?  They'll need to send a shuttle down if not.)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15920 on: August 27, 2013, 08:41:31 pm »

i like the sound of that plan, just so long as the sword isnt directly above him.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15921 on: August 27, 2013, 08:53:14 pm »

((You know, any sort of unnatural signal should be recognized as the team.  Worst case, we can just use our giant robot friend's massive cannon fired straight up as a flare gun.))

Steve openly wept with joy.  He was here!  The overlord!

"SWEET GLORIOUS STEVE!  YOU HAVE RETURNED FOR US!  ALL PRAISE YOUR GLORIOUS NAME!"

Dance around and sing a hymn to Steve.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15922 on: August 27, 2013, 09:07:51 pm »

((You guys think we will get bonus credits for going an entire ingame year without anyone killing themselves or a teammate?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15923 on: August 27, 2013, 09:20:31 pm »

((It is pretty impressive that everyone is coming in back.  Hell, we had what, only three people needing robot parts?  Anton, Flint, and Morul?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15924 on: August 27, 2013, 09:25:21 pm »

((Yeah but anton still hasnt recieved his roboleg, we coulda given him an armleg but someone talked me out of it.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15925 on: August 27, 2013, 11:00:02 pm »

"Oooooh... Finally, we can get off this rock! Quick! Make a signal of some kind!" Bishop celebrated. Now all he had to do was make a signal of some kind to grab their attention.

Quickly look around for something I can use to make a signal. If I can't find anything, help patch something together that can blast out or amplify a radio signal strong enough to grab Steve's attention.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #15926 on: August 28, 2013, 12:05:53 am »

"I could fly really high, wave my arms around and shout 'til they notice us."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15927 on: August 28, 2013, 12:47:21 am »

"We're in vacuum Mesk. Shouting is not going to work if there is no air for sound to travel through. Flying up high with some kind of signal to get their attention might work though!"

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15928 on: August 28, 2013, 03:43:09 am »

Regroup on Simus
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15929 on: August 28, 2013, 10:41:10 am »

((Great!))

"I'm no mechanic, so I can't fix an antenna, but I know one way to signal ships." said Flint, trying to target the large cigar with his laser. "Please make this work, please make this work."

Use my laser to transmit an SOS to the large cigar in morse code. Hope it has sensors sensitive enough. Hope it doesn't retaliate.

After that, donate my battery pack to the antenna construction project.

Finally, help gather all the samples and useful equipment. Remind someone with heavy armor, like Lukas or Miyamoto, to pick up the large anomalous shard.

[con:2+1]
You sort of waggle your laser in the general direction of the ship. It doesn't seem to do much. Oh well.

You offer your battery pack to anyone who needs it.

"Alright guys, unless I'm gravely mistaken that's our pickup right there. Everyone regroup on Simus, Take your stuff and say your goodbyes. Cause we're getting the hell off of this god-forsaken rock. Finally."

If any of these things cannot be done by Miyamoto, assume he asks someone who isn't busy right now to do it:
-recall and gather all remaining scout drones
-dig up/collect all the samples and research data

After that, Miyamoto tries to establish radio contact with the Sword.

"Steve, come in Steve, this is Miyamoto. Base is in ruins, come pick us up at these co-ordinates.

Hmm, lets hope that grotesque rockwormbirdthing won't be attracted by that."
He thought after sending his message.

If this doesn't work, help Anton to repair/build transmitter powerful enough to reach Steve. Move away from current location after sending message, at least 300m. Make sure designated LZ is not at the same location as from where message gets send.
"Oooooh... Finally, we can get off this rock! Quick! Make a signal of some kind!" Bishop celebrated. Now all he had to do was make a signal of some kind to grab their attention.

Quickly look around for something I can use to make a signal. If I can't find anything, help patch something together that can blast out or amplify a radio signal strong enough to grab Steve's attention.
Take out every bit of scrap and wire I have left, and try to assemble a primitive radio amplifier, using the Red Hand's power output to boost it and using the metal rods of the chair as an aerial. Make sure I'm not going to be shocked by anything, get off the chair if necessary. No time for proper testing, only stop if Miyamoto or somebody else gets through to the Sword first. Just feed the output of my own radio into it as soon as I'm done.

"Ground team to Paracelsus' Sword, do you read? On-site base demolished, situation rapidly worsening. Shuttle destroyed. Requesting immediate pickup."

If receiving no reply, switch to Flint's mining laser battery as a power source, and try again.

[Anton handi:6+1]
[bishop handi:2+1]
[Miyamoto handi:4]
14/3=4.6=5.

The combined efforts of Bishop, Anton and Miyamoto, using the remaining parts they can scavenge from within the base, results in a single, large, very ugly transmitter. They immediately begin transmitting a signal- from a safe distance away from the base, that is.

Steve, this is the ground team, our base has been destroyed, our main transmitter with it. Can you home the shuttle in on our radio signal? Repeat, base and transmitter have been destroyed, home in on our radio signal if you can.

Gather together ALL of the samples and prepare to board the shuttle with them.

((5 bucks says we won't even need a transmitter to get through to him since we're all pretty much blasting him with our radios. Quantity over quality, eh? Though a better idea than even hurriedly building a new antenna would be one person broadcast a carrier wave with their radio, sync'ed up with another transmitting the actual message.))
run into the barracks and place all of the remaining robolimbs in my footlocker before heading over to the lab and filling it with as many of the more stable samples that will fit.

Drag my footlocker back outside and await pickup, help with radio if necessary.
Record a quick ultrasound scan of a sandworm while i wait so the scientists on the swotd can work out how the pieces i collected.

(Not sure why you're taking the robo limbs. You can't sell them and you get them for free on the ship.)

Regroup on Simus

Simus and Lukas work together to gather the samples from where they were stashed out on the rock plains, with lukas don't most of the heavy lifting, as well as carrying the radioactive shard.

Meanwhile, the human bat echolocates at the ground and drags a trunk full of robotic limbs out of the barracks and toward the group.

Mesk sighs in relief after receiving the broken transmission.  After what seems to have been forever, the team is going home.
"Well, it's about damn time."
Join up with the main group if I'm not already and watch the Sword come in.

(Wait, I can't remember, do we have anything airworthy left at this point?  They'll need to send a shuttle down if not.)
((You know, any sort of unnatural signal should be recognized as the team.  Worst case, we can just use our giant robot friend's massive cannon fired straight up as a flare gun.))

Steve openly wept with joy.  He was here!  The overlord!

"SWEET GLORIOUS STEVE!  YOU HAVE RETURNED FOR US!  ALL PRAISE YOUR GLORIOUS NAME!"

Dance around and sing a hymn to Steve.

Mesk and Lars stand around, one watching, the other dancing about and singing a joyful tune.

>Receiving signal.  I assume something has happened to the base since I'm not getting ALVIN's signal. Regardless, the Planetoid is getting near it's departure time, so we've gotta move fast here, you can't survive an unprotected jump. Do you have a shuttle left or should I send one?
Pages: 1 ... 1060 1061 [1062] 1063 1064 ... 1256