Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3936992 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: The Curse of Ivan Continues.
« Reply #15900 on: August 27, 2013, 01:36:12 pm »

((This universe works with jump points that you can enter only with specific speeds and trajectories. This planetoid and others like it wanders from jump point to jump point. By observing where these planetoids disapper, humanity maps the jump point network. The UWM closely watches these planetoids, both to ensure that any new jump points are mapped and that no alien civilization watches them enough t learn their secrets. At least that was what Steve and the UWM said.

So no, no jump drives here. We may be approaching a jump point though. We've never seen what one looks like before. Maybe they're all radioactive nebulae.))
((So, close enough. It's still preparing to jump. Hell, it may be creating a jump point instead of using a known one, which is extra reason for putting us here to collect data.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15901 on: August 27, 2013, 01:51:59 pm »

((This universe works with jump points that you can enter only with specific speeds and trajectories. This planetoid and others like it wanders from jump point to jump point. By observing where these planetoids disapper, humanity maps the jump point network. The UWM closely watches these planetoids, both to ensure that any new jump points are mapped and that no alien civilization watches them enough to learn their secrets. At least that was what Steve and the UWM said.

((Are you sure?  I could have sworn PW said this the other way around.))

((Hoop doop I am wrong))
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 01:57:58 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15902 on: August 27, 2013, 04:55:57 pm »

A
"I knew I shouldn't had spiked the supplies with xeno spit..."

Hide under my flatground sample in the hopes that it will keep me safe. Does this look like what I saw in the sky of the anomalous motion zone's "stop" section?
It looks...sort of similar?  You don't really want to spend too much time without a big chunk of stone over your head.

Wait on bike.

"Calling dibs on this rocket bike."
You rest your elbows on the controls of the bike.

"Anyone wanna take bets of if thats here to help us or kill us?"

Anton stares at the roiling skies.

"Что за на... That does not look good. What could be causing..."

A thought suddenly hits him. Electrified radioactive anomalies, vector anomalies, gravity anomalies, spatial translocation domes... all on one concentrated spot on one absolutely messed up planetoid going from nowhere to nowhere.

He drives quickly back to Bishop and Simus, shouting into the radio to overpower the static and distortions.

"Oh... hell no. Miyamoto! You mentioned that we're close to the deadline? Recall the briefing! Anomalous Planetoids are rarely sighted because they disappear into hyperspace! I don't know how, but I suspected this all along - this place is a giant, naturally occurring hyperdrive! And it's powering up to jump! We've got to drop everything and get that beacon up! If the Sword doesn't find us in time, we'll be gone for decades!"

Anton pauses, thinking that last bit over. "Though I can't say that it wouldn't be an interesting alternative to returning to HMRC service, heh."

Help whoever else is doing it set up the LZ beacon so that we can be picked up.

((Anton's memory of the briefing may be spotty at this point, because even mine is. But it was something to that effect, and I did suspect that from roughly the moment that we found the radioactive powerplant, the negative energy flatlands and the time-warp fields. But I assumed that the base was the control center, implanted here to try and steer the place like a ship, with us trying to find enough data to do so.))
Well, that appears to be no one at the moment. We'll see if that holds true in a minute or two...

The sky seethes with electrical discharge, and saint elmo's fire builds on every pointed piece of the team's suits, rolling across their fingertips and arcing between their teeth, leaving everything tasting metallic and smelling of ozone. Gravity seems to increase, but at an odd angle. It takes them a moment to realize it's acceleration they're feeling. The strange aurora is blown away, revealing a starless sky and a single, burning red point. From their vantage point, it looks like the smoldering tip of a cigarette held in absolute darkness, resting just above the horizon. It appears to be growing, slowly.

For a second their radios and camera feeds bleed over with static and a red glow appears somewhere behind them, beyond the horizon like the last glow of a sun set. A tiny dark gray speck, like a graphite cigar, crawls over the horizon.

>Ground.....m respo.....no signal from yo...con.......respond....

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15903 on: August 27, 2013, 05:09:46 pm »

((Great!))

"I'm no mechanic, so I can't fix an antenna, but I know one way to signal ships." said Flint, trying to target the large cigar with his laser. "Please make this work, please make this work."

Use my laser to transmit an SOS to the large cigar in morse code. Hope it has sensors sensitive enough. Hope it doesn't retaliate.

After that, donate my battery pack to the antenna construction project.

Finally, help gather all the samples and useful equipment. Remind someone with heavy armor, like Lukas or Miyamoto, to pick up the large anomalous shard.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:33:02 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15904 on: August 27, 2013, 05:16:11 pm »

"Alright guys, unless I'm gravely mistaken that's our pickup right there. Everyone regroup on Simus, Take your stuff and say your goodbyes. Cause we're getting the hell off of this god-forsaken rock. Finally."

If any of these things cannot be done by Miyamoto, assume he asks someone who isn't busy right now to do it:
-recall and gather all remaining scout drones
-dig up/collect all the samples and research data

After that, Miyamoto tries to establish radio contact with the Sword.

"Steve, come in Steve, this is Miyamoto. Base is in ruins, come pick us up at these co-ordinates.

Hmm, lets hope that grotesque rockwormbirdthing won't be attracted by that."
He thought after sending his message.

If this doesn't work, help Anton to repair/build transmitter powerful enough to reach Steve. Move away from current location after sending message, at least 300m. Make sure designated LZ is not at the same location as from where message gets send.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:21:16 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15905 on: August 27, 2013, 05:19:04 pm »

Take out every bit of scrap and wire I have left, and try to assemble a primitive radio amplifier, using the Red Hand's power output to boost it and using the metal rods of the chair as an aerial. Make sure I'm not going to be shocked by anything, get off the chair if necessary. No time for proper testing, only stop if Miyamoto or somebody else gets through to the Sword first. Just feed the output of my own radio into it as soon as I'm done.

"Ground team to Paracelsus' Sword, do you read? On-site base demolished, situation rapidly worsening. Shuttle destroyed. Requesting immediate pickup."

If receiving no reply, switch to Flint's mining laser battery as a power source, and try again.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 07:51:55 pm by Sean Mirrsen »

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15906 on: August 27, 2013, 05:25:52 pm »

@Anton:"You'll never get through to them with that little thing. Here, try this." said Flint as he handed him his mining laser's battery pack.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15907 on: August 27, 2013, 05:29:11 pm »

"Thanks, though I'll try something that isn't likely to burn the circuit out first."

Action edited.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15908 on: August 27, 2013, 05:33:37 pm »

Steve, this is the ground team, our base has been destroyed, our main transmitter with it. Can you home the shuttle in on our radio signal? Repeat, base and transmitter have been destroyed, home in on our radio signal if you can.

Gather together ALL of the samples and prepare to board the shuttle with them.

((5 bucks says we won't even need a transmitter to get through to him since we're all pretty much blasting him with our radios. Quantity over quality, eh? Though a better idea than even hurriedly building a new antenna would be one person broadcast a carrier wave with their radio, sync'ed up with another transmitting the actual message.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15909 on: August 27, 2013, 05:41:04 pm »

((They'd need to actually recognize the signal first, and consider that at the moment, we can only hear Steve intermittently, despite him having a considerable amount of starship at his disposal. How well would a measly suit-powered radio get through the distortions, especially since we're closer to their source? Boosting the signal is worth a try - worst case I'll be short a chair and a radio for nothing. :P))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15910 on: August 27, 2013, 05:44:41 pm »

After fully enjoying and appreciating the sudden shift in the sky and in physics, Vich was distracted by the mishmashed signal coming from Steve. What just happened really was beautiful. He had seen it in pictures and in recordings, but never with his own eyes. And he would never be able to appreciate it half as much if not for his new eyes. After many years of blindness, everything he has laid his eyes upon since he got those glasses was lively and beautiful. He understood with his mind that it was for the most part just a barren planetoid, but to his mind, it was Elysium. But that, that sky has topped it all.

The rest of the team, or at least the most active ones, were worrying about being heard by Steve. Oh well, that would probably be a good thing, wouldn't it?

"Not to disract you from your radio-building, but wouldn't it be easier for us to get the signal across if someone with functioning rocket-pods took up and sent it from space? Have one person gather all the rocket-pods, if necessary."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 05:47:00 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15911 on: August 27, 2013, 05:50:46 pm »

"Not to disract you from your radio-building, but wouldn't it be easier for us to get the signal across if someone with functioning rocket-pods took up and sent it from space? Have one person gather all the rocket-pods, if necessary."
"Tried that last mission. Believe me, you don't want someone to be left in space without a spaceship with sufficient engines. Although if you want to try that yourself, I wouldn't stop you."

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15912 on: August 27, 2013, 06:03:56 pm »

run into the barracks and place all of the remaining robolimbs in my footlocker before heading over to the lab and filling it with as many of the more stable samples that will fit.

Drag my footlocker back outside and await pickup, help with radio if necessary.
Record a quick ultrasound scan of a sandworm while i wait so the scientists on the swotd can work out how the pieces i collected.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 11:09:08 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15913 on: August 27, 2013, 06:10:23 pm »

"Tried that last mission. Believe me, you don't want someone to be left in space without a spaceship with sufficient engines. Although if you want to try that yourself, I wouldn't stop you."
"If I read the last mission correctly, you were trying to pilot an aircraft that run out of fuel, and was eventually rescued by Miyamoto. But we aren't really trying to pilot an aircraft, are we? The question is if we have enough fuel to get a single person to orbit."
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:13:24 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15914 on: August 27, 2013, 06:21:06 pm »

"If I read the last mission correctly, you were trying to pilot an aircraft that run out of fuel, and was eventually rescued by Miyamoto. But we aren't really trying to pilot an aircraft, are we? The question is if we have enough fuel to get a single person to orbit."
"On last count, that was a single rocketbike, Flint's mining suit, and Simus. Sort of a three-stage rocket. Use Flint as the first stage, then Simus can..GAH don't distract me!"

Pages: 1 ... 1059 1060 [1061] 1062 1063 ... 1256