Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3937404 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: The Curse of Ivan Continues.
« Reply #15870 on: August 25, 2013, 02:51:35 am »

((Finally able to get back here... sorry for the absence education and whatnot))
Wake up from coma/nap of undefined length where appropriate and examine surroundings
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15871 on: August 25, 2013, 01:32:50 pm »

"I'm with Simus on this one for the most part, Vich. I say that we move some supplies into what's left of base, and only explore a little bit. That said, though, Simus, I think that two of us should try to explore a bit more territory before pickup- being careful, of course."

Drop off all supplies (except for enough nuti-packs for me until pick-up) in the three base buildings- spread out among them- and find the MPV. If we have approval, head up to white domes area, rock-throwing away.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15872 on: August 25, 2013, 01:45:08 pm »

"On the topic of exploration, if you allow me to chime in, I think we should probably keep in mind that our coordinated repository of mapping data was just whisked away by a giant underground tentacle monster. Unless we want to get picked up and debriefed on the Sword, only to find out we didn't actually bring any data back, I suggest that we try to find out how much of data - any data - we still have left.

...I even lost my datapad, with the last of the previous team's footage.

We should see what we have left, what we can still do, and if that does not amount to much, I suggest we at least try to make it back to the ship in as few pieces as possible.
"

Go back to the remaining base buildings, and find self a new datapad, if one exists somewhere. Try to figure out what kind of research data we still have, and what we may feasibly do to make up for what we've lost.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15873 on: August 25, 2013, 02:01:30 pm »

"I would assume that any data our suits recorded would still be readily available, wouldn't it? And we still have all of the copies of the map, it's just that now it will have to be updated manually.

Besides, the samples are probably more important than the raw data stored by Alvin. So I honestly don't know if we actually lost any of our research data with Alvin. And sorry about your datapad."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 02:03:58 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15874 on: August 25, 2013, 02:02:56 pm »

"I think we still have the mapping data in our suit computers. The base was just responsible for storing all the other info. Which I'm really hoping was somehow backed up or transmitted back to the Sword or another nearby UWM installation or spacecraft. These planets are supposed to be constantly monitored after all.

But even if we lost all data, I have been keeping an extensive log of our activity during the entire mission in my data, complete with references to the relevant data in ALVIN's servers. I bet that will be worth something."

((I really wonder how Steve is going to react to us having practically broadcasted the existence of a top secret world to everyone with that antenna.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15875 on: August 25, 2013, 02:04:29 pm »

"Well, we better hope the built-in memory in these suits is enough to store several months' worth of video without overwriting something important then."
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15876 on: August 26, 2013, 02:25:47 am »

Lukas stares at the destroyed base for a while and sighs. "Well, that's it for this mission guys. This place sucks balls, and we really haven't learned anything about it. Screw these anomaly planets. Let's just never go there again."

Assist with any recovery work or shelter construction.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 02:28:33 am by Prosperus »
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15877 on: August 26, 2013, 09:59:13 am »

After listening to several people giving their opinion on how to proceed, Miyamoto sat back for a bit To compose his thoughts and decide upon what to do next.

After a while, he opens a general comm link to the rest of his team:

"Okay gents, I've decided on what to use the remainder of our time here on our little slice of hell.
I know this won't go well with some of you, but I'm hell bent on finishing this mission without any real casualties and I'll be damned if I let that slip away at the very last second.

Firstly, no more exploration. I doubt that the risk of awakening another gargantuan xeno is worth any extra info or samples we might gain from it. That said, I am worried about this so-called storm coming at us. Therefore, Michael and Morul will keep track of the storm coming at us from the south. Don't go further than bighexe 13/14 though. And because I suspect that this storm is all around us, and not only to the south, Vich and Denzel will go north and keep guard there. Don't go further than bighex 8 or 9.

The rest of you, and that is all of you, will help me scatter around the supplies we have left, retrieve from base what we can and just sit tight and wait for pickup."

Search for radiation anomaly that was buried waaay in the beginning of the year, Use cameyes to check if radiation is manageable. If it is, store it in a thick container but place it somewhere away from our other supplies.  Also, check how the last 2 scout drones I still had on me are doing.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15878 on: August 26, 2013, 10:52:28 am »

Check the analyzer-glob to see if it's still reacting then leave it with the rest of the samples. Then, unless ordered otherwise, make my way to sector 23. Start rock throwing once I enter unknown territory.
The sample is still active, but doesn't seem to be escalating or anything. You set it down with the other samples but decide against going out exploring. Mainly because Miyamoto said to quit it.

THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!.... err.. i mean, hey miyamoto did you want to finally dig up that radiation shard and stick it in a container before our pickup arrives?

Speaking of which, is mesks bucket still intact or are we all hitching a ride in the vault?

check how much plastic sheeting is still in the barracks, if theres enough to cover a small goo glob carry it outside along with a length of electrical cabling.

You tear the plastic sheeting out of under a few beds and use the electrical cable from the tv to tie it shut. Not sure what goo you're talking about though. We've got several kinds 'round here.

"Uh, guys? We gonna follow that worm, or just say fuck it and run?"

Begin a thorough search for ammo, or things that could be used as ammo when the shit hits the crap encrusted fan.
Ammo is basically whatever people have on them right now. And as per throwing ammo...well, there are lots of rocks.
"Uh, guys? No air in the base. At all. Might wanna fix that helmet so Lars doesn't suffocate."

See if any rooms could be made airtight easily, and ponder how to fix them quickly.
((You gave him your helmet, didn't you? He's fine.

By the way, I'd RP Vich seeing the base, and his reactions to seeing it, but I've decided not to do it because I already have a significant wall of text. It's one thing when you just have a short action, and you add RP, but adding a wall of text to a wall of text just doesn't seem fair.))

"I just want to remind everyone that there is still a storm advancing on us. I don't know how long it will take to reach us, if it will ever, but if it does, anything we left out on the planes will be immediately swept away. And I don't know if even the standing buildings will be enough to shield our supplies. It may be in our best interest to leave groups of supplies up North at least, not here.

As for the radiation shard, I assume we will pick it up when Steve actually arrives. I assume he will give us a little time to gather samples, especially for capturing the creatures living in the Iron Sea and the Beetles, since they don't exactly survive long without their natural habitat.

And finally, Simus. I know you just said that we shouldn't be wandering off right now, because we don't have the capacity to deal with the casualties. But really, I think you're being overprotective. Those of us in robotic bodies can still explore this place just fine, they don't exactly need the replacement limbs. And then humans can act as a support. And additionally, spreading out will actually be beneficial to us, warning us to the dangers. Remember that Alvin and his sensors are gone, we will now be caught unawares if something once again happens.
I believe we should continue exploring this place, simply being more careful than before. Or perhaps simply start researching the already uncovered territories, something we've long neglected. But in either case, spreading out, keeping watch for different anomalies approaching us is a must. At the very least, keep a watch out for that Storm, and for any more radioactive shards flying out of the radioactive anomaly."

To Denzel: "Regarding scattering the supplies, I'm thinking of takong the MPV, and circling the Purple Lake, leaving piles of supplies along the way. By the time we reach unexplored areas, we should be empty, and then we could continue exploring, around the lake and so on. Still need to deal with the "nobody leaves" order, but are you with me?"

What about the third drone I have sent South-East to map out the rest of the Storm?
What about the third drone I have sent South-East to map out the rest of the Storm?

Also keep track of the Storm's advancement using the first drone I left.

Do we still have the MPV with the trailer left? I remember it was not brought inside the base.

Assume the storm is advancing at one hex per turn.

The MPV is outside the base, as is the trailer of parts.

Lars bows his head.  "By the grace of the pantheon, we have survived.  All praise be, for the gods have seen fit that we shall serve another day."

Praise the gods.  Assist with any supply management.
You do a pious little dance and look for someone to help.

((Duuuuuude... The base just got mostly eaten by a dune style giant worm because Lars was using the hyper-powerful transmitter to preach over the airwaves, which got it's attention.))

"Shut up Lars. I'm not in the mood to put up with your religious crap right now."

Reseal the broken helmet and make a air hose to connect between Lars and whoever has the broken helmet so they can both breathe without having to swap helmets. See if I can scrounge up enough stuff to make a transmitter to signal the pickup ship.
Helmet situation got fixed amongst the mess that just happened. Lars got His helmet back, Morul got Miyamoto's and Miyamoto is in Gilgamesh, so he's fine. As per parts to make a transmitter...well maybe if you start aggressively deconstructing either the base or the shuttle parts you brought back.

((Finally able to get back here... sorry for the absence education and whatnot))
Wake up from coma/nap of undefined length where appropriate and examine surroundings

You appear to be about a mile out from base. The base appears to have been eaten. Everything appears to be fucked.

"I'm with Simus on this one for the most part, Vich. I say that we move some supplies into what's left of base, and only explore a little bit. That said, though, Simus, I think that two of us should try to explore a bit more territory before pickup- being careful, of course."

Drop off all supplies (except for enough nuti-packs for me until pick-up) in the three base buildings- spread out among them- and find the MPV. If we have approval, head up to white domes area, rock-throwing away.
You deposit the supplies amongst the three buildings and then go and sit on the MPV. You don't leave on it though; not yet. Gonna wait for Miyamoto's go ahead for that.

"On the topic of exploration, if you allow me to chime in, I think we should probably keep in mind that our coordinated repository of mapping data was just whisked away by a giant underground tentacle monster. Unless we want to get picked up and debriefed on the Sword, only to find out we didn't actually bring any data back, I suggest that we try to find out how much of data - any data - we still have left.

...I even lost my datapad, with the last of the previous team's footage.

We should see what we have left, what we can still do, and if that does not amount to much, I suggest we at least try to make it back to the ship in as few pieces as possible.
"

Go back to the remaining base buildings, and find self a new datapad, if one exists somewhere. Try to figure out what kind of research data we still have, and what we may feasibly do to make up for what we've lost.
You search the barracks until you find someone's datapad. You're not sure whose, but it appears to have a version of the planetoid map. The last updated version, it seems. Well, better then nothing.

Lukas stares at the destroyed base for a while and sighs. "Well, that's it for this mission guys. This place sucks balls, and we really haven't learned anything about it. Screw these anomaly planets. Let's just never go there again."

Assist with any recovery work or shelter construction.
You stick your arms out and wait to be used as a forklift.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 11:35:53 am by piecewise »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15879 on: August 26, 2013, 11:09:11 am »

Sooo... no shower curtains survived?
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15880 on: August 26, 2013, 11:19:03 am »

Form up with MPV while in rocket bike.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15881 on: August 26, 2013, 11:22:13 am »

"Oooh, come on, I really want to catch one of those crystal things in sector 2. And get a sample of those white domes with my monorazor. And catch one of those analyzer-blobs without triggering it. And see what's in the center of the indigo sea. And get some colossus orange goo with the help of a manipulator. Come on, can I go, please?"

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15882 on: August 26, 2013, 11:36:34 am »

Sooo... no shower curtains survived?
The thing dropped posts. Sorry, fixed it.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15883 on: August 26, 2013, 11:50:21 am »

find a small isolated sample of the orange mimic goo that isnt directly near the base remains,
Tie the cable around the shower curtain in such a way as to form a pouchlike container with drawstrings capable of sealing it, leave this open and next to the goo, no need to capture/aggravate it prematurely.

((its my hope that the plastic sheeting will prevent it from mimicking any hard materials and allow it to be safely transported into and contained by a sample container.))
« Last Edit: August 26, 2013, 12:01:37 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15884 on: August 26, 2013, 11:58:30 am »

find a small isolated sample of the orange mimic goo that isnt directly near the base remains, gently cast the plastic sheeting over it and run away.
If it does not immediately go batshit insane wait a few minutes then make a sort of noose on the ground around it with the tv cable that will cause the plastic to tighten underneath it and encase the goo in a kind of plastic pouch.

All the orange goo is in a single massive trench. You're sure you wanna go wake it up?
Pages: 1 ... 1057 1058 [1059] 1060 1061 ... 1256