Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3939451 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: The Curse of Ivan Continues.
« Reply #15690 on: August 17, 2013, 07:48:36 pm »

"Something heading for the base? Fuck."

Ascend base, take up a suitable lookout point. Observe for anything out of the ordinary. More so than usual.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15691 on: August 17, 2013, 09:17:46 pm »

"Um, guys, last time I checked, the thing was going in the general direction of base, right? Can we just move enough food supplies out of the way?"
"Are you talking about the underground worm? You already checked... oh, you mean those supplies. Yeah, I think that most people, judging by how much time they spent on repairing it, are more concerned about the general structural integrity and stuff like oxygen, fuel, and prostetics, than just food. But if it is heading for base... yeah, I'll send them a suggestion to evacuate. Hopefully, not just food."

To Base: "Guys, if that underground worm is indeed heading in the direction of the base, it might be in your best interests to evacuate. Not just yourself, but the food and supplies. When the crystal imploded, a large number of our supplies vanished. Let's not repeat the same mistake again, eh?"

To Miyamoto: "Probably not very important, but the electronic interference from the storm I am tracking appears to be slowly expanding. Once again, I do not know why, or if it will move fast enough to affect us in any way. The Storm itself is unchanged. That's it for now."

Continue mapping the Storm, going by the edge of electronic interference.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15692 on: August 17, 2013, 09:37:20 pm »

"Well, we can get by without many things, but the reason I say food is because it is not optional for our survival here. Because while some of us may die without medical supplies- what few are left- we'll all die without food. Well, unless we resort to other measures, but that would cause problems too. Mind you, I'm not saying that you guys shouldn't bring other supplies, I'm just saying that we need the food/nutrient packs to survive."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15693 on: August 17, 2013, 09:38:17 pm »

"How do you know it's a worm? Did you see it? What's it look like?"
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15694 on: August 17, 2013, 09:39:33 pm »

"All we saw was the hole. A hole the size of a subway train. So we know it's big, and can tunnel through rock with ease- that's all."
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15695 on: August 17, 2013, 09:50:56 pm »

"Well, we can get by without many things, but the reason I say food is because it is not optional for our survival here. Because while some of us may die without medical supplies- what few are left- we'll all die without food. Well, unless we resort to other measures, but that would cause problems too. Mind you, I'm not saying that you guys shouldn't bring other supplies, I'm just saying that we need the food/nutrient packs to survive."
"Actually, technically, I did carry away enough food from the base to scrape by if everything is completely destroyed. Well, not sure if I grabbed the nutrient packs actually. But I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just that our esteemed comrades... do not have the best history with keeping supplies or provisions safe. I remember very well how I was the only one to evacuate the base right before the crystal hit. I was ranting about that."

"All we saw was the hole. A hole the size of a subway train. So we know it's big, and can tunnel through rock with ease- that's all."
"Oh, so you think it was that hole? Funny to say, I didn't connect the two." ((I didn't think it was big enough for the vibrations.)) "I just assumed that that cavern was just one of the many caves those creatures live in, not that it was the tunnel that was the cause of the vibrations. Perhaps that means that the scales zone we just circled around is free of any disturbances now that the creature is gone. Or maybe that it's migrating because of the advancing storm. Huh, very, very interesting."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 09:54:48 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15696 on: August 18, 2013, 08:40:24 am »

((Just so we have a visual reference to Anton's latest creation before my actions completely trash it:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yes, I do like making random sketches when I'm able to. ^_^))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15697 on: August 18, 2013, 08:58:56 am »

((That's some awesome drawing skills.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15698 on: August 18, 2013, 10:58:02 am »

((That's some awesome drawing skills.))
((Indeed. Very nice.))

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15699 on: August 18, 2013, 11:17:59 am »

((I brought out nutrient packs for myself, and I believe it was intended to be enough to let me scrape by as well. Also, awesome drag-racing wheelchair.))

"All I know is that it's big enough to make the ground shake. Which means we should be worried about it, whatever it is."

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15700 on: August 19, 2013, 03:14:00 am »

Keep standing outside and check for any hints on something approaching the base.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15701 on: August 19, 2013, 02:13:19 pm »

No, I keep everything on drop box.
((Hurray for cloud storage! :) ))

"...huh. Well, a little overbuilt, buuuut... yeah, it'll do. Going to have to reinforce it here and there, probably add a suspension... later. Let's see how this goes."

Get on the modified wheel(ie)chair, plug the red hand in, and try gently accelerating down the nearest stretch of empty floor. Aim away from Bishop's wall and any nearby vehicles. Get a feel for the controls a little.
Yeah, I'm gonna say you can handle the electric wheel chair powered by the laser peashooter. This thing may be designed like a dragster but it's got the power source of a Prius.

You have no idea where to find a helmet, but you do know where to go to transmit radio!

You head to the CCR and sit down. You figure that if you want to broadcast a message of hope to everyone within 50 light years, this is the place to do it. You wonder if simus would mind you doing that though....Hmm.

The will of the gods must be done.

Do it!
You begin preaching over the radio, your sermon funneled through simus' absurdly powerful comms array and out across the planetoid and space. You're about half way through your second prayer when you feel the ground shake rather violently.

((I'm turning into the joke of this mission...  :-[))

"Oooh... Pretty..."

See if I can make a small cup out of rock where I could fit a blob that will hopefully stay inert. If successful, get that second blob and leave it somewhere near the base sector, so that I can pick it up on my way back. Then follow Simus while keeping an eye on my container-blob.

((For some reason I have a feeling that the burst of data Simus sent with her superantenna is what lured that creature to the base. Unfortunately, I can neither prove that OOC or have any reason to suspect that IC...))
How exactly do you want to cut that "cup" or divot in the stone? The laser is gonna be tricky and the razor can't cut like that.

Stop screwing around and just break the thin layer of rock with a sharp whack with a smaller rock. Then check for damage on the sensor port, and if it all looks good, plug in the new sensor and have ALVIN run a quick test on it for me.
You smash the rock off and insert the sensor array before radioing back to ALVIN to check that it's working. Theres a brief pause before you receive a message in reply.

>SEISMIC ANOMALY DETECTED.  BEARING NORTH EAST, APPROACHING BASE. ESTIMATED TIME OF ARRIVAL....16 MINUTES.

You don't even have time to finish the message before you feel the ground tremble and shake under your feet.

"Uh oh."

Simus sees Lars walking into the control room, with access to the new antenna, and follows him, muttering.

Not happening on my watch.

Walk in and subtly deactivate, without destroying or disabling (requiring repairs), the transmitter. Subtle as in, don't let Lars see me do it, or make it look like a normal activity. When he's done with his sermon, reactivate it and head out for Sector 12.

((Speaking of the transmitter, I wonder if we could use it as a directional antenna to pierce interference?))
[aux:1]
You boost the signal. You boost it super high. Enough that Lar's words cause everyone's radios to shriek with feedback.

close all the shutlle hatches and cut through a survivable but suitably radioactive part of the radiation zone in hopes of losing the thingamajig/beating it back to base.
((Survivable for both of us))
There are no hatches to close on the shuttle so you just hightail it through the lowest radiation area you can, ignoring the St.Elmo's fire and electronic distortions as you go. You make it back to base but judging from the vibrations, you haven't escaped whatever it is thats underground.

"Something heading for the base? Fuck."

Ascend base, take up a suitable lookout point. Observe for anything out of the ordinary. More so than usual.
You climb up to the top of the base and look around. Hmm, well there are teammates actually out there, doing work. Thats pretty fucking unusual. Oh and you think you can see a sort of trail of cracking stone and vibrations moving toward the base. Not great.

"Um, guys, last time I checked, the thing was going in the general direction of base, right? Can we just move enough food supplies out of the way?"
"Are you talking about the underground worm? You already checked... oh, you mean those supplies. Yeah, I think that most people, judging by how much time they spent on repairing it, are more concerned about the general structural integrity and stuff like oxygen, fuel, and prostetics, than just food. But if it is heading for base... yeah, I'll send them a suggestion to evacuate. Hopefully, not just food."

To Base: "Guys, if that underground worm is indeed heading in the direction of the base, it might be in your best interests to evacuate. Not just yourself, but the food and supplies. When the crystal imploded, a large number of our supplies vanished. Let's not repeat the same mistake again, eh?"

To Miyamoto: "Probably not very important, but the electronic interference from the storm I am tracking appears to be slowly expanding. Once again, I do not know why, or if it will move fast enough to affect us in any way. The Storm itself is unchanged. That's it for now."

Continue mapping the Storm, going by the edge of electronic interference.

Well, you get a little farther. But we're in "Oh shit" time frames now so you don't have much time to wander. Feel free to sit out here on the edge of the known world and gloat about how you're not being harassed by some sort of giant underground thing.

Keep standing outside and check for any hints on something approaching the base.
You've seen enough 20th century monster movies staring Kevin Bacon to know whats coming next.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15702 on: August 19, 2013, 02:22:09 pm »

"Glory to the HMRC Pantheon.  Amen."

Lars smiles to himself.

"The gods are coming to assist us!" he announces over the radio.  "Sister Simus, thank you for your support!  I am glad you have finally seen the light of the Pantheon!"
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15703 on: August 19, 2013, 02:32:57 pm »

((Heheh. Yep, exactly as designed. I wasn't planning to make it incredibly fast anyway. Though I might salvage something more powerful later - if we have a "later".))

"...is it just me, or is the floor really shaking? What the hell is going on here?"

Roll out of the base. Observe surroundings. Try to determine the source of the... Tremors.

((Also, where is Gilgamesh right now? Short of using Simus to embed an explosive underground, it's our best chance at taking out something subterranean.))
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 02:34:55 pm by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15704 on: August 19, 2013, 02:41:22 pm »

"I have a strong feeling of dread right now. Do you?"

put self right way up.
Pages: 1 ... 1045 1046 [1047] 1048 1049 ... 1256