Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3940930 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15285 on: July 22, 2013, 06:06:45 pm »

((The Black Swan Theory: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_swan_theory    Although on a closer look, it doesn't really fit in this case. But meh, still reminds me of it.

However such knowledge is extremely hard for a human to attain, since they involve knowledge of the human mind and many other hidden variables.

((Any mistakes?))
((Yes. It's not that hard to attain, especially when dealing with dice. Every time you have the same number pop up at least 5 times in a row, or numbers with the same result. 3 times if these rolls are thematically linked. When rolling pairs, (in competitions,) three same roll pairs or polar opposite pairs.
Thematically linked means sharing the same character, action, place, skill, or idea. Also, whenever the rolls follow a descending or ascending string, or the numbers are next to each other, it also counts, but you should add 1 to the numbers of results before it seems improbable.

At a glance, about 15-25% per turn, but it is entirely possible to count it up. And I'm sure it's not that hard (for a mathematician) to come up with an equation. Then add 0.5% to the probability of non-described patterns.

Of course, there are different levels of "improbable". What I've described, was a pretty mild case of "improbability". Things like that girl in "Punch Many Things" obviously represents a different level of improbability. However, with just a couple new parameters, and consiously adjusting the thresholds, can easily reveal the probabilities of other "improbabilities".))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15286 on: July 22, 2013, 11:00:11 pm »

"Okay ALVIN. Can you try to pressurize the garage now?"

Watch what happens and check inside and outside for any leaks and bad welds.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15287 on: July 23, 2013, 05:43:34 am »

Lukas stands around to see what happens.

"Bishop, if this works, do you want to work on the door to the CCR next? It's stuck and it probably needs to be replaced after I force it open."

Stand around and wait for the room-pressurizing-magic to happen.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15288 on: July 23, 2013, 07:35:37 am »

"Yeah, it would be best to have all the doors working properly again. We'll work on that next."

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #15289 on: July 23, 2013, 08:20:39 am »

Keep up the rest and recovery.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15290 on: July 23, 2013, 10:15:37 am »

((Yay! They can eat food! I'm gonna call you hmmm... Blobby and I'm gonna call you... Globby! I'm gonna take care of you and walk you and feed you and wash you and pet you and never ever leave you alone! We're gonna be the bestest friends!))

"In other news, if any of you want some disposable guinea pigs, just get some globs from the indigo sea. They're some kind of microorganisms, I think, trapped in a membrane. They eat human food, but they can't eat the rock the rock lice seem to eat. Neither can they eat the black towers, which by the way seem to be some sort of inverse graphite. Like a giant pencil, now that I think about it."

How exactly did they eat the food? Did I just leave it on the membrane and the membrane opened up and let it in or did I have to push it in?

Look at the globs again with the microscope. See if I can discern the different kinds of microorganisms.
Do they form colonies or do they simply wander off to wherever?
Do they seem to have specialized roles?
Do they seem to work in concert with each other to ensure their continued survival, like symbiotes? I mean, could I call it a single organism? Or are they just an ecosystem that manages to survive, despite each microorganism trying to do what's best for itself?

Make ALVIN set an alarm clock to remind me (or anyone else at the base) to feed them every once in a while.

((I'm tempted to play David from Prometheus here and spike someone's drink with glob goo to see what happens... Or throw a hot dog in the orange goo for that matter. "Help, the giant hot dog is attacking!"))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15291 on: July 23, 2013, 10:29:55 am »

((I think that instead of trying to feed these things, it's cheaper to just collect them all over again once Steve comes knocking.
You know, check all of our samples for any decomposition/dying, and then collect all over again all the banderlogas/cockroches/purple microorganisms/fog trees, and so on. I think Piecewise will allow that, especially since we know the way now, and have already done it once without much difficulty.

Also, I am glad I am as far away from Flint as possible. My food is not getting spiked.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15292 on: July 23, 2013, 01:05:07 pm »

((Yeah!  Here, you just have to deal with an idiot teammate who got his dumb ass injured.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15293 on: July 23, 2013, 01:23:45 pm »

((Well, how am I supposed to know (i.e.: tell you) if we caught any good stuff? That stuff with the fog changing around the tree as we took out a chunk, was that any good? Or anything else, really?))

Not good. Well, he doesn't seem to be handing this very well, so will need to get to him. But better not to rush on this.

Try to minimize the chance of being blown away by not standing on my feet, but crawling forward on my fours.
Also crawl in such a way as to not be hit by wind sideways, but the opposite of sideways, (kill my English,) even if it means crawling with a bent.
The scatter-brain is coming with me as a backup.

(really, the only thing I can remember you getting footage of that would earn extra tokens is the crystal's growth. So there's that)

[str:6+1]
Crawl? Crawling is for the weak and silly looking. You pick up the human paperweight and carry her like a department store mannequin  as you sprint straight out to Lars. You grab one of his feet and proceed to drag both him and your brain-dead ballast back out of the storm.

Not bad for an old man.

Oh hey, you don't need your glasses any more either. Everything's coming up Vich.

((You don't know if a sample was useful until the end of the mission.  Really, you may not ever know- the only feedback you're likely to get is the fluctuation of your token reward.))

Lars winced.  That hurt.  "Brother Vich, I fear I have broken something.  I may need to see a disciple of Emar-i sometime soon."

Stop the damn roll!  Stabilize position enough to start trying to get out of here.

You don't even need to stop yourself. Vich does that for you. He grabs you by the ankle and drags you straight out of the storm like the great big hero he is.

Pressurise room.
You send a message to ALVIN to pressurize the room. The vents open and air begins to pour in. As pressure returns, you can hear the wall creaking, deforming slightly under the load. You hold your breath as the room reaches full pressure and wait to see if the wall holds. It does.

Whew.

Rest, then go check the side of the gravity well that was opposite where the crystal used to be.

((Wow. A perfect descending string of rolls. Wonder what the odds of that are.))
(same as getting any specific combination of 5 rolls, I suppose.)

Resting. Resting. You're pretty sure that it looked unchanged, last time you saw it. Resting. Though the area a bit away from it got hit by the crystal's laser, so it's fucked. But the area right near the crater is fine.

((The lab umbilical's walls are going to end up no longer existing, being replaced with nearly pure weld spots by the time we're done on this planetoid, I'll bet.

On the plus side, we'll have no issues with contacting Steve when he arrives to pick us up!))

Cut a hole for the antenna, get it outside, then seal the hole back up again.
[handi:2+1]
You very roughly cut your way outside, but can't manage to seal the hole back up.

Eh. You'll do it later.

fix program, if unsuccessful repeatedly start from scratch until useable program is made.
[aux:4+1]

Program complete...Hmm..you've been doing this so long you've almost forgotten what the program is for.

"You see, this is why you shouldn't send a flesh-body to do a robot's job. Though to be fair, I do miss my old body a bit."

Finish filling the hole, then start on my way north via the pass in the speed-modifying zones.

75% done. This is a big hole, after all. Almost there though, almost.

You gonna do anything in the dome area or just keep moving through it?

Everything seems to have been completed without a hitch. It's not as sturdy as the original, but it should hold.

Lukas stands around to see what happens.

"Bishop, if this works, do you want to work on the door to the CCR next? It's stuck and it probably needs to be replaced after I force it open."

Stand around and wait for the room-pressurizing-magic to happen.
Everything gets a lot more airy.

Keep up the rest and recovery.
Nap part 3. The nappening.

((Yay! They can eat food! I'm gonna call you hmmm... Blobby and I'm gonna call you... Globby! I'm gonna take care of you and walk you and feed you and wash you and pet you and never ever leave you alone! We're gonna be the bestest friends!))

"In other news, if any of you want some disposable guinea pigs, just get some globs from the indigo sea. They're some kind of microorganisms, I think, trapped in a membrane. They eat human food, but they can't eat the rock the rock lice seem to eat. Neither can they eat the black towers, which by the way seem to be some sort of inverse graphite. Like a giant pencil, now that I think about it."

How exactly did they eat the food? Did I just leave it on the membrane and the membrane opened up and let it in or did I have to push it in?

Look at the globs again with the microscope. See if I can discern the different kinds of microorganisms.
Do they form colonies or do they simply wander off to wherever?
Do they seem to have specialized roles?
Do they seem to work in concert with each other to ensure their continued survival, like symbiotes? I mean, could I call it a single organism? Or are they just an ecosystem that manages to survive, despite each microorganism trying to do what's best for itself?

Make ALVIN set an alarm clock to remind me (or anyone else at the base) to feed them every once in a while.

((I'm tempted to play David from Prometheus here and spike someone's drink with glob goo to see what happens... Or throw a hot dog in the orange goo for that matter. "Help, the giant hot dog is attacking!"))
-The membrane sort of slowly surrounded it and then pulled it into the sack where it dissolved.

-You see lots of little, different organisms. It's like looking into a pool of Zooplankton; all kinds of primitive, twitching, squishy microscopic creatures. Cool

-Some seem to work together and form clusters, others seem to be carnivorous and hunt alone, some are just too strange for you to tell exactly what they're doing. Figuring out what all these beasties do is gonna take some time and examination of the individual species. There's just too much going on right now to make sense of it all.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15294 on: July 23, 2013, 01:40:01 pm »

"Stop. Bouldertime."

Fill that hole!
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15295 on: July 23, 2013, 02:06:42 pm »

"Excellent."

Go and have a nap.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15296 on: July 23, 2013, 02:09:32 pm »

"Ladies and Gentlemen, I have an announcement to make. I have just designed and built a fucking wall for the garage out of salvage and scrap and it's holding fine under pressurization, and I did it right the first time. I am THE MAN. You may thank me later once I've fixed the door to the garage so you may all inspect my architectural prowess in person. That is all." Bishop broadcasted over the radio to everyone before turning to Lukas.

"Okay, enough showboating. Let's fix that door."

Inspect the damage to the garage door and determine if it's fixable and what it might take. Then get Lukas to help straighten it out so I can get to work.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15297 on: July 23, 2013, 03:32:28 pm »

"Many thanks, brother Vich.  The strength of the divine moves with you.  Are you or our non-responsive friend here capable in medicine?  I am not sure how badly I am hurt, and, well, doctoring makes no sense to me."

Check suit readout to see if it has any information on my injury.  If not, see if it has any neat tricks to figure out and use.  And see if I can walk on my own.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 08:46:49 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15298 on: July 23, 2013, 05:10:22 pm »

Finish filling up the hole, then head up to Vich, bringing rope and supplies.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 09:09:05 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15299 on: July 23, 2013, 05:38:52 pm »

find simus and offer her a thermal camera and the program in exchange for installing a thermal camera in my helmet.

Sit in an area life support if she accepts, check what computer systems are still functioning if she does not start right away.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:36:45 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 1018 1019 [1020] 1021 1022 ... 1256