Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3943910 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: From Bad to Worse
« Reply #15105 on: July 10, 2013, 11:34:46 am »

"...uuuughhhhh..."

Continue battling the forces of bloodloss.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15106 on: July 10, 2013, 12:57:21 pm »

((I find it very funny that Thearpox is the one taking stupid risks in the name of science now...))
((Not science.))

((Wait, what zone is the fog we're exploring in?  It might take us all day to walk back there.))
((The one West of the Dry Lake Bed. An edge zone.

But it all takes one turn, so it's relative anyway. I personally find it hilarious that taking a shuttle can take 2-3+ turns, while walking takes one.))
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 01:01:16 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15107 on: July 10, 2013, 01:20:58 pm »

((I find it very funny that Thearpox is the one taking stupid risks in the name of science now...))
((Not science.))
((Science, money, boredom, whatever. A distinction without a difference.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15108 on: July 10, 2013, 01:22:17 pm »

((Might want to separate that quote.

Also, I find it very ironic that the drones I grabbed are the only ones surviving. And the ones Flint put on record. That's what like, 9 drones?))

Record that part about light on my wrist-pad.

"From what I gather, it should be more or less safe to go inside. I should be able to find my way back by radio, right?"

Slowly get into the fog, using a metal pole (Standard adventuring quipment!) to feel the way ahead of me. Don't try to hit the wall the drone encountered, just get into a thicker part. If anything weird happens, get out OR do an interrupt action.

Once inside, first get a better sample of the fog.
Then, sample the ground.
Then, sample the root-like thingy. With a knife/some other cutting instrument I assume?

Any more information about the area and roots I uncover whilst inside?
If everything goes smoothly, get out via radio.

(It's not about light. The phrase "Comes to light" means that something is discovered or uncovered.  A scandal that came to light because of a reporter's investigation, for instance. It's one of those weird, not quite grammatically correct English phrases. Probably wasn't explained well on my part...)

You move slowly into the fog, pushing the pole out ahead of you. It becomes rather obvious that the drone didn't hit a wall so much that the fog just gets thicker as you go in. At some point the drone's sensors must have reached their threshold and began registering the thicker fog as a solid. True enough; as you get deeper in, it becomes like walking through water; the fog is so thick and viscus around you that it slows your movements and, combined with the squishy-ness of the ground, makes walking a rather exhausting process.

You take another sample of the thicker fog, and carve out a chunk of the ground, but you're still a while away from the closest "branch". The hole the ground sample came from starts oozing some sort of fluid.

Okay, now for some really bad news: The base's entire antenna array, including communication and sensors, is melted. Communication will be suit-only unless we can jury rig something, and when the Sword comes, we probably won't be able to contact it ourselves. And it's a shame that it was only high-value things that appear to be destroyed, but at least we have habitability and supplies enough that you won't starve here, those of you that require food. Damn metabolic wastes that you are.

But one especially concerning thing is that we have very specific, and limited, capability for repairing anyone who gets hurt, so let's not do anything stupid that would have inconvenienced before while you got put in a robot suit like me, but will kill, permanently, now. That means you, anyone who's out exploring instead of assisting with cleanup and repairs back here at base.

See if I can find the frequency that our radios and other transmissions operate on.
The frequency your radios operate on is fairly easy to find. It's displayed in the radio screen on your HUD, all nice and simple so that even an idiot could dial up their friends without issue.

"I think our first order of business (after we get the base in order and heal anyone who needs it) is to fix the comms and macguyver a shuttle. Much as I like this planetoid, I wouldn't like to be stuck here for the rest of my life."

Continue putting things in their right place around the base, gathering scrap and generally helping with repairs when necessary.

EDIT: Oh, and get a sample from the edge of the crater before it solidifies.

You get a bit of a sample from the crater before finishing your work in the kitchen. You right the shelves and put all the drawers and pots and pans and various utensils away before moving on to the CCR. It's still pretty much the same as before the blast, sheltered by the buildings around it and lacking much to knock over. You put the chairs back in place and disconnect a cracked monitor, depositing it in a pile of scrap thats accumulating over near the garage door.

keep transferring stuff, harbour deep resentment toward resident butterfingers.

You finish transferring the supplies, creating a little hospital corner in the barracks, but you're going to need some help when it comes to transferring the actual diagnostic and surgical machinery; the ones that can be transferred, that is. Some are very much built into place, but even those that can be moved are too big and heavy for you alone.

"Wow."

Salvage anything useful from the armory, including bits of what used to be walls. Go grab a torch from the garage if I need to cut bits off.

[handi:4-1]

You slice up and scavenge the structure as best you can, carving out semi randomly  and piling the odd shaped and sized chunks up near the garage.

"Well this crater could be a problem"
Create a bridge out of various pieces of base, melt it together with rifle then move across carefull
[handi:5-2]
You gather some scraps from the infirmary and hastily weld together what could generously be called a bridge. It takes the entire laser rifle battery and even then it comes out looking...kinda crap.

"May the gods preserve us."

Lars wandered into the fog.  "With the light of Steve guiding us and the shielding hands of Algis preserving us, we shall persevere."

Follow the leader into the fog.  Stay a bit back and watch to see if anything odd happens.
You follow vich into the fog, staying a few feet behind him as you both half swim through the fog. You mutter a constant string of prayers and blessings as you go, unconsciously fiddling with your rifle like a rosary.

"Got some good and bad news for the garage. Bad news: We're leaking fuel from one of the tanks, the large shuttle looks like it's been vaporised, 2 minishuttles are wrecked, 1 rocket bike is the same, we've lost a good amount of tools and the box of drones and there's a fucking missing wall. Good news is that the last minishuttle is basically untouched somehow, I can probably repair 1 rocketbike to working condition so we have 2 bikes and we still have a surplus of tools.

So we've been fucked over, but it could have been worse and the fuel tanks haven't exploded. So that's something."

Immediately seal the leak in that fuel tank, then take stock of the structure of the garage and what I could do to fix it.
[handi:6+1]
You seal every hole in the tank with surgical precision. Unfortunately this includes the valve by which the fuel is normally accessed. Well...at least it's safe now.

Continue doing minor repairs and cleanup wherever I can.  Anything that's a one-man job and isn't currently being done.

You search around for something minor you can do. Most jobs seem to be handled though, at least the small ones. So you head to the new medbay in the corner of the barracks and start arranging things as they should be; breaking down big piles into little, organized ones.

"I'll take some unskilled labor off of base's hands if you guys want, and go on an exploring trek."

Help with moving medical supplies, and gather supplies for myself and any other explorers.

You help with the slow process of moving the medical equipment from the remains of the medbay to the barracks. It's difficult work, especially navigating the umbilical from med to CCR. Shoving a heavy medical device into a room thats actively depressurizing because you're opening the door onto hard vacuum isn't easy.

Try to force the door from CCR to the garage open.
You set Gilgamesh down and examine the door to the CCR. Your mechanical eyes run from it, down to your unresponsive arm and back. You think you could do it but...well..the door is stuck because it's bowed outwards, away from you. You can't fix that from the inside of the garage, so the only way to unstick the door is to just brute force break the thing. And thats gonna put the CCR in hard vacuum until that door is fixed.

Sure you wanna do that without even knocking?

Wait for mud to dry then enter base.
One more turn or so. Molten rock is slow to cool.

"...uuuughhhhh..."

Continue battling the forces of bloodloss.
You're probably gonna be out a while, until someone gets blood into you or gets you stabilized at the temporary infirmary. One way or another. Although, if it takes too long, you will wake up in there, probably feeling like crap.

Crap that got a limb forcefully amputated.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #15109 on: July 10, 2013, 01:36:50 pm »

Assuming I can use the bridge to go to the garage, go there and start helping with sealing the hole (bring metal, hold it in place for Bishop to weld, etc).
Else just continue sorting things out and putting them in their right place.

"Hey, you think you can make some sort of bar or handhold for the garage door? We could use our giant robots to pull it and straighten it out. After we fix the breach of course."

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15110 on: July 10, 2013, 01:43:03 pm »

((I find there to be a difference. It also has to do with your definition of risk.))

"Stay here Lars. Keep the rifle ready. I think I'll go ahead and get that branch. But this feel like a very interesting area. If only we had a robot. Or a disposable Flint, he he he..."

Quickly grab a sample of the fluid and pedal a few feet back. Can I see Zephy outside the fog?
Can I trace my way back by my footsteps?
Still need to know if finding my way back via radio is a viable option.

Observe the fluid pouring out for a while, to gather sense on what it is doing. If it's something dangerous, then obviously get the hell out.
Then, if the answer to any of the above three questions was a "yes," begin slowly advancing to the closest branch. Sample. If it ever feels like the squishy-ness is enough to swallow me like a swamp, pedal back.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15111 on: July 10, 2013, 02:39:05 pm »

"I recognize that we all need to work together for now, but we do need to get exploring still. As a robot and an unskilled laborer, I personally feel that I would be suited for such work, considering our current situation. I'll keep helping out here for a bit, though."

Consider the viability of sealing the infirmary and garage wall breaches. Would the metal lake work? Also, keep helping move and organize stuff.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #15112 on: July 10, 2013, 02:45:31 pm »

after mud finally drys get to base.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #15113 on: July 10, 2013, 07:07:59 pm »

Assuming I can use the bridge to go to the garage, go there and start helping with sealing the hole (bring metal, hold it in place for Bishop to weld, etc).
Else just continue sorting things out and putting them in their right place.

"Hey, you think you can make some sort of bar or handhold for the garage door? We could use our giant robots to pull it and straighten it out. After we fix the breach of course."

The question is less of a "Can you" and more of a "Do you choose to".  The bridge that you see before you is a long, thin stretch of scrap metal. It's less welded together and more sort of vaguely melted in such a way as to stick together, for the moment at least. Now, stretched at an angle across the crater, it is already bowing a bit under it's own weight. Also, Mike has stuck a big warning label covered in a lot of fine print to the bridge. It's hard to read but you're pretty sure that by stepping on the bridge you not only sign away all liability he has for your life, limb and sanity, but also that you agree to give him your first born son.

So. Do you want to walk on that bridge?

((I find there to be a difference. It also has to do with your definition of risk.))

"Stay here Lars. Keep the rifle ready. I think I'll go ahead and get that branch. But this feel like a very interesting area. If only we had a robot. Or a disposable Flint, he he he..."

Quickly grab a sample of the fluid and pedal a few feet back. Can I see Zephy outside the fog?
Can I trace my way back by my footsteps?
Still need to know if finding my way back via radio is a viable option.

Observe the fluid pouring out for a while, to gather sense on what it is doing. If it's something dangerous, then obviously get the hell out.
Then, if the answer to any of the above three questions was a "yes," begin slowly advancing to the closest branch. Sample. If it ever feels like the squishy-ness is enough to swallow me like a swamp, pedal back.

You sample the unknown fluid- a job that is becoming distressingly common. I mean sure, you do it once because you're trying to frame a dignitary and get him executed for, get this, espionage and conspiracy.  But now its practically your only job. It's a bit degrading really,like being the attendant at an alien sperm bank. Or whatever the alien equivalent is.- and look back the way you came. You can just vaguely see your friend outside the fog, but getting much further will render them invisible. Radio still works fine though, a little bit of static, but nothing big.

The fluid is just sort of pumping out in slow, steady pulses. It flows out for a while and then stops flowing before being absorbed back into the ground. Yep. Thats a thing.

You wander off toward the nearest branch. You sort of swim up to it and take a good look at it from up close. It's quite large; tree size almost but branching into little sub-branches all the way from the ground up to the tip top. It's also bright red and pulsating. The fog around it takes on a sort of pinkish hue each time it pulsates; a hue that radiates out in all directions; fading as it goes.

"I recognize that we all need to work together for now, but we do need to get exploring still. As a robot and an unskilled laborer, I personally feel that I would be suited for such work, considering our current situation. I'll keep helping out here for a bit, though."

Consider the viability of sealing the infirmary and garage wall breaches. Would the metal lake work? Also, keep helping move and organize stuff.

Well, the garage seems viable, but quite extensive. There's an entire wall missing; but luckily the garage was a simple structure with no internal rooms or systems. It was just a big metal box with enough wiring for the lights and power tools and a few air vents. The infirmary is a complex building with many inner rooms and systems that has had a big chunk of it gouged out. Even if you sealed it off completely, a job requiring a lot more metal then the garage, there's no telling if it's life support will still function in all or even any of the rooms. Best you could do for the Medbay is seal off an intact room-like the morgue- and reroute some life support, just in case.

after mud finally drys get to base.
Yeah, you drive back to base, weaving around craters until you finally make it back to the blasted and half ruined structure you call home. You park outside the garage and watch as Lukas contemplates bashing the door down and depressurizing half the base.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #15114 on: July 10, 2013, 07:23:26 pm »

((Yay, two updates in a day! Also, this is my favorite anomaly yet. Right ahead Monkey-Land and Purple Lake.))

"Well, it's bright red and pulsating. And the fog takes on that same color every time it pulsates, so there's that.
Going in. I'll try to snap the little branches."

Poke the tree with the pole. Does the pole adapt that hue? Does my suit as I get closer? If that tree affects me in any way as I get closer, get out.

Can I swim/climb up to the higher branches? If yes, then get up there and take a look around. Then snap a couple of the small little sub-branches and store them. Then get back out.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 07:40:13 pm by Thearpox »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15115 on: July 10, 2013, 07:29:39 pm »

take inventory of the immovable equipment.

((Would it be possible to transfer whats his face to the intact mini shuttle by using gilgamesh to form a blockage around an open hatch?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #15116 on: July 10, 2013, 07:40:00 pm »

Spin around really fast in a thicker part.  Observe the fog.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15117 on: July 10, 2013, 11:39:04 pm »

"Woops. At least it's not leaking now..." Bishop says to himself as he steps back from the fuel tank.

"I think that our best shot would be having Lukas on one side and someone in Gilgamesh on the other side of the door and have them both combine their efforts to straighten out the door. And don't you dare knock that door down Lukas or I'll play havoc in your insides.

First, let's see if we can reseal this garage. If we can do that, then we can open that door without depressurisation."

Inspect the missing wall and start planning out a replacement. Take some of the armoury wall bits and see how I could put them together to make a new wall. Then, head to the armoury umbilical entrance and make sure it's sealed off permanently.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #15118 on: July 10, 2013, 11:55:50 pm »

See if I can find any stiff, conductive material to make a crude aerial out of, and get the melted remains of the antenna off of the hookup.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 12:04:59 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15119 on: July 11, 2013, 02:27:52 am »

"Crap! This ain't gonna work."

Lukas walks back to Anton. "Hang in there buddy. I'm going to try to find some way into the base and hopefully get you some medical aid."

Leave the garage and try to find another entrance to the base that is still usable.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.
Pages: 1 ... 1006 1007 [1008] 1009 1010 ... 1256