Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3943640 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: Screwed and Mutinous
« Reply #14835 on: June 25, 2013, 01:13:11 am »

((Note to self: Never post any idea I have before I actually start working on it, especially not specifics.))

((Hmmm why? And before you say i stole your idea the robobody was the main secret plan i wanted your help with followed closely by energy absorbant flatzone plating for our shuttles))

((Actually, I do believe I had mentioned the remote robot body before, quite a while ago (I think it was during the Eternal Darkness mission). Still, Irony started looking into it on the ship right before she left, remember? Her going after it was somewhat meta, pure and simple, though I would believe you coming up with it yourself.))
Yeah ive only read a a few partial missions and they were brainwash murderer, sharkmist and memory ship :())

((You've missed a lot of the good stuff, then.))
((like mission 1))
Continue waiting to help people with any jobs/similar
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14836 on: June 25, 2013, 02:00:14 am »

"My job here is done."

Head to the garage and await the team arriving. Prepare the looting wagon for a crew of 3 if it needs it.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14837 on: June 25, 2013, 02:33:02 am »

Slowly start working on the exosuit repairs. Hope that someone with more knowledge comes to help me.

Could I add extra plates on the inside and outside of the suit to reinforce the seams?

Anton notices Flint shuttling spare parts around the Garage, and comes over to see what he is working on. "Hey there, Flint. Need a hand?" he begins, but immediately notices the exosuit. "Whoa. More like a foot. That suit looks a little shorter since I last used it." Anton leans over to inspect the damage. "That looks bad. Were the legs completely unsalvageable? You're going to have a hard time making replacements work well enough. And we're not exactly swimming in spare parts as is, even without having two more giant robots to repair. Hmm."

Anton examines the suit, thinking over the variants. "Just as a possibility - would you be willing to dismantle it for parts? I don't know how bad the damage on Lukas and Gilgamesh is, but I can't imagine it being light. We're probably going to need just about everything we can spare to get them in working order, and most parts around here are for vehicles, not robots." He looks around the Garage again. "And if you want to repair it after all, I suppose I could offer an upgrade plan. How do you feel about four hydraulic wheel-legs, instead of walking legs? Faster, more stable, less complex to build."

Run the possible exosuit repair options in my head. Would the "wheeled quadruped" approach work with the parts and tools we have? Would it be an actual improvement over trying to recreate the legs with hydraulics?

And do we really have enough spare parts to partially rebuild a few robots?
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14838 on: June 25, 2013, 06:38:52 am »

"Yeah, I was going to have a flier retrieve the legs, but nobody wanted to help me and then the crystal obliterated everything around it, so..."

Flint sighed. "IF we truly need the parts, if Miyamoto and Lukas need the parts... Yes, dismantle it. But only then. Without that thing I'm just an idiot with robotic legs." He punctuated the end of the sentence with two knocks on his metal legs.

"Yeah, I was thinking about something like that too. I was a bit worried about what would happen if I had to climb somewhere, but then I remembered I have this." he said, putting his hand on his Jump Pods. "Although, I heard something about Miyamoto's rocket pods being damaged. You might want those for spare parts..."

Help Anton think. When he isn't looking, put my hand near his head and start cranking like I'm operating an ancient calculator.

Could I add extra plates on the inside and outside of the suit to reinforce the seams?
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:44:40 am by Parisbre56 »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14839 on: June 25, 2013, 07:15:01 am »

((Ha! I was waiting for someone to notice that. Getting kind of weird if you look at it in a certain way. But you can't really undress in vacuum, and she's better with weapons than I am. So I suppose she's just my protege. And I didn't really plan it out happening like this, but Zerphyris started following me everywhere and I prefer to not work alone, so that's happened.

Zako, what exactly do you mean by prepare the wagon if it needs it?))

Getting back to the base, Vich was much relieved as to what happened. The biggest worry was the base, or more correctly the base kitchen getting destroyed. When he was leaving the base, nobody was yet sure of what the crystal was going to do. That it would destroy the base in the next minute was a very real possibility. Now, it was at least confirmed that it presented no immediate threat, at the small cost of the two giant robots getting damaged or perchaps even ruined. But giant robots are never something to weep for. While a very powerful war asset.... was this paranoia justified? Either way, it wasn't him who damaged them, so it wasn't the most important question for now.

The important part was that the crystal was still advancing on their base, and ignorant as it might seem of them, one can never know what might tick him off. And while those... rookies? Can they even be called rookies? Perchaps optimists would be a better term. And while they seemed set to ignore it for now, the smart decision would be to evacuate, remembering of course the provisions. And as an addition, it might even help exploration. Very little exploration has been done in the last few game months, it was time to pick up the pace if they were to expect any better equipment. Although the fact that still only one person could pilot a shuttle was steadily more and more infuriating. And another, much less infuriating thing, was that the joint project with Jack Hansan has fallen apart, since not only has the guy has proven himself incapable of removing detection from them, which was supposed to be only the first step to secretly disabling the spinal implants, the base inself was unsafe to work in.

Well, better get the team ready then and set out. The sooner the better. Preferably before somebody fills the current power vacuum and demands that I actually inform him of my plans.

I assume Bishop will help me refill/recharge the MPV. EDIT: And load me up with the tools required for scavenging that shuttle. Also, when I say put into the MPV, I also mean the wagon attached to it. Just in case it wasn't clear.

Ask people that have nothing to do and are not Michael Alexander or Morul (because they are both not to be trusted) to join me in settling out of this unsafe base and making camp... say where the remains of that shuttle are. Because it's not where the crystal is and also because it's closer to unexplored areas. I believe it's just Lars and Jack, and I'm bolding this instead of sending out a message in case there's somebody besides those two, and Vich would see them, but I can't, so I would have to send a message to everyone, which I don't want to do.

Is the MPV big enough to fit enough food for four people for the rest of our time here? Yeah, that's a lot of food. If yes, load that into the MPV. If no, load as much as fits, and I'd like to know how much that is.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 04:52:41 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14840 on: June 25, 2013, 09:28:54 am »

((I meant by getting the scrap carrying wagon and the thing pulling it ready, by storing some food and water, tools and whatever else you need for a scavenging run that might take some time.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14841 on: June 25, 2013, 09:10:13 pm »

Well, you won't be rocketing around anymore unless we can find a spare pod for you, Miyamoto, one of them nigh unrecognizable. Anyways, let's get you both hooked up and back to base so we can get medical attention to you and repair work started on Lukas and Gilgamesh.

Load them up and let's head back to base.
Do so.
Well, you won't be rocketing around anymore unless we can find a spare pod for you, Miyamoto, one of them nigh unrecognizable. Anyways, let's get you both hooked up and back to base so we can get medical attention to you and repair work started on Lukas and Gilgamesh.

'Yeah, I'm afraid you're right. Damn, probably gonna cost me some tokens. Oh well, at least I'm still alive.
Thank you, Mesk, Simus, for fishing us up from there. It's good to have reliable teammates to fall back upon.
Sorry for putting you through that, Lukas. I had no idea it had all that, let's hope we never brush with death like that again.'

Get ferried to base, get treated and stuff. Be happy to be alive.
'Yeah, I'm afraid you're right. Damn, probably gonna cost me some tokens. Oh well, at least I'm still alive.
Thank you, Mesk, Simus, for fishing us up from there. It's good to have reliable teammates to fall back upon.
Sorry for putting you through that, Lukas. I had no idea it had all that, let's hope we never brush with death like that again.'

"It's okay Miyamoto. None of us knew how badass that crystal actually is...And at least I got to fire my cannon again. Let's just get the fuck out of here."

Get loaded up and head back to base.
Mesk's Mobile Robo-doctor brigade returns to the base and deposits the beleaguered robot overlords in the garage.

look for someone to help, then return to sensors.
Assess physical and mental state, then assist whomever needs assisting.
Physically, Fine. Mentally, Hilarious.

((Note to self: Never post any idea I have before I actually start working on it, especially not specifics.))

((Hmmm why? And before you say i stole your idea the robobody was the main secret plan i wanted your help with followed closely by energy absorbant flatzone plating for our shuttles))

((Actually, I do believe I had mentioned the remote robot body before, quite a while ago (I think it was during the Eternal Darkness mission). Still, Irony started looking into it on the ship right before she left, remember? Her going after it was somewhat meta, pure and simple, though I would believe you coming up with it yourself.))
Yeah ive only read a a few partial missions and they were brainwash murderer, sharkmist and memory ship :())

((You've missed a lot of the good stuff, then.))
((like mission 1))
Continue waiting to help people with any jobs/similar

All three of you wander to the garage and offer your services to whoever needs it; be it the repair crew working on the robot overlords or on Bishop's salvage crew.

"My job here is done."

Head to the garage and await the team arriving. Prepare the looting wagon for a crew of 3 if it needs it.
You wander over to the looting wagon and hold up a sign. It reads

"Need 3 workers. No pay. High risk of death."

"Yeah, I was going to have a flier retrieve the legs, but nobody wanted to help me and then the crystal obliterated everything around it, so..."

Flint sighed. "IF we truly need the parts, if Miyamoto and Lukas need the parts... Yes, dismantle it. But only then. Without that thing I'm just an idiot with robotic legs." He punctuated the end of the sentence with two knocks on his metal legs.

"Yeah, I was thinking about something like that too. I was a bit worried about what would happen if I had to climb somewhere, but then I remembered I have this." he said, putting his hand on his Jump Pods. "Although, I heard something about Miyamoto's rocket pods being damaged. You might want those for spare parts..."

Help Anton think. When he isn't looking, put my hand near his head and start cranking like I'm operating an ancient calculator.

Slowly start working on the exosuit repairs. Hope that someone with more knowledge comes to help me.

Anton notices Flint shuttling spare parts around the Garage, and comes over to see what he is working on. "Hey there, Flint. Need a hand?" he begins, but immediately notices the exosuit. "Whoa. More like a foot. That suit looks a little shorter since I last used it." Anton leans over to inspect the damage. "That looks bad. Were the legs completely unsalvageable? You're going to have a hard time making replacements work well enough. And we're not exactly swimming in spare parts as is, even without having two more giant robots to repair. Hmm."

Anton examines the suit, thinking over the variants. "Just as a possibility - would you be willing to dismantle it for parts? I don't know how bad the damage on Lukas and Gilgamesh is, but I can't imagine it being light. We're probably going to need just about everything we can spare to get them in working order, and most parts around here are for vehicles, not robots." He looks around the Garage again. "And if you want to repair it after all, I suppose I could offer an upgrade plan. How do you feel about four hydraulic wheel-legs, instead of walking legs? Faster, more stable, less complex to build."

Run the possible exosuit repair options in my head. Would the "wheeled quadruped" approach work with the parts and tools we have? Would it be an actual improvement over trying to recreate the legs with hydraulics?

And do we really have enough spare parts to partially rebuild a few robots?

[flint int:2-1]
[Anton int:2]
The combined braintrust that is Flint and Anton come up with the following after considering the multitude of problems placed before them.

"Potato. Potato tasty. We want potato."

They both vanish into the freezer and proceed to freeze their face flesh to a bag of potatoes.  Our goddamn heroes.

Wake up?

((YAY, I LIIIVE!))
You wake up, confused, near sighted and sore. So A fairly normal day around here....wait....this is new. Where are you?

((Ha! I was waiting for someone to notice that. Getting kind of weird if you look at it in a certain way. But you can't really undress in vacuum, and she's better with weapons than I am. So I suppose she's just my protege. And I didn't really plan it out happening like this, but Zerphyris started following me everywhere and I prefer to not work alone, so that's happened.

Zako, what exactly do you mean by prepare the wagon if it needs it?))

Getting back to the base, Vich was much relieved as to what happened. The biggest worry was the base, or more correctly the base kitchen getting destroyed. When he was leaving the base, nobody was yet sure of what the crystal was going to do. That it would destroy the base in the next minute was a very real possibility. Now, it was at least confirmed that it presented no immediate threat, at the small cost of the two giant robots getting damaged or perchaps even ruined. But giant robots are never something to weep for. While a very powerful war asset.... was this paranoia justified? Either way, it wasn't him who damaged them, so it wasn't the most important question for now.

The important part was that the crystal was still advancing on their base, and ignorant as it might seem of them, one can never know what might tick him off. And while those... rookies? Can they even be called rookies? Perchaps optimists would be a better term. And while they seemed set to ignore it for now, the smart decision would be to evacuate, remembering of course the provisions. And as an addition, it might even help exploration. Very little exploration has been done in the last few game months, it was time to pick up the pace if they were to expect any better equipment. Although the fact that still only one person could pilot a shuttle was steadily more and more infuriating. And another, much less infuriating thing, was that the joint project with Jack Hansan has fallen apart, since not only has the guy has proven himself incapable of removing detection from them, which was supposed to be only the first step to secretly disabling the spinal implants, the base inself was unsafe to work in.

Well, better get the team ready then and set out. The sooner the better. Preferably before somebody fills the current power vacuum and demands that I actually inform him of my plans.

I assume Bishop will help me refill/recharge the MPV. EDIT: And load me up with the tools required for scavenging that shuttle. Also, when I say put into the MPV, I also mean the wagon attached to it. Just in case it wasn't clear.

Ask people that have nothing to do and are not Michael Alexander or Morul (because they are both not to be trusted) to join me in settling out of this unsafe base and making camp... say where the remains of that shuttle are. Because it's not where the crystal is and also because it's closer to unexplored areas. I believe it's just Lars and Jack, and I'm bolding this instead of sending out a message in case there's somebody besides those two, and Vich would see them, but I can't, so I would have to send a message to everyone, which I don't want to do.

Is the MPV big enough to fit enough food for four people for the rest of our time here? Yeah, that's a lot of food. If yes, load that into the MPV. If no, load as much as fits, and I'd like to know how much that is.

Welp, lets just assume you get loaded up with tools, food and expendable idiots. Namely Hiro Protagonist (jack) and Pope Strangelove (Lars). I'm not really sure if Bishop wants to let you go alone so we'll hold off on doing that for now. Since he could probably chase you all down and murder you if you pissed him off.

The crystal has entered the the home hex.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14842 on: June 25, 2013, 09:11:24 pm »

((Nice sign.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14843 on: June 25, 2013, 09:17:39 pm »

All right, is Migrurkeshin awake again? Because he could be helpful here if he still has that funky vision.

Commence a more detailed investigation of the two iron-swimming ones: Any residual iron left in joints, freezing up movements? Between things that are supposed to be able to be separated, welding them together? Around anything fragile, such as eyes, microphones, tactile arrays, radio antennae, or other sensors or devices?

In other words, try to do a full diagnostic, with their assistance when needed. And do try to find a release for Miyamoto so he can get out and get to medbay.

((Okay, I leave for a competition tomorrow, and it lasts through Sunday, so Zako has permission to post actions for me if needed. It hopefully won't, but I might get waylaid in my ability to participate.))
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 09:20:57 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14844 on: June 25, 2013, 09:22:42 pm »

((It feels a like this thread entered in some sort of lethargy state. I hope my initiative will liven the place up.

Also, what's Doctor Strangleglove?))

"So Bishop, are you going with us? You're probably the one most interested inscavenging that shuttle. If no, we'll be going then."

Unless Zephyris, Lars, or Jack have any objections, I think we'll get going to the crushed shuttle. And yeah, I know that the MPV probably can't take four people, some of us will have to take turns walking.
To my teammates: if you're not going to say anything, but come back online later, I suppose it would be fairly simple to retcon and place you back in base.

Also, if Lars/Jack also wants to take a motorbike to go with the MPV, that would be pretty cool. I like having escorts.

EDIT: Say no to Michael. Also, I know that I'm planning on taking four people while Bishop only said to take three. Continue with my action regardless.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:28:10 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14845 on: June 25, 2013, 10:24:25 pm »

walk back to the infirmary and slap morul until i have his attention. Inform him that we are on mission in a mystical funland revolving around death and dismemberement and that i his drug addicted doctor replaced his eyeballs competantly so he should return the favor by helping me carry food and medical supplies to the shuttles so that we can flee from the giant crystal monster that amputated flints legs and is busy altering the landscape

((Hey piecewise you missed my turn :( ))
Spoiler: missed action (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:51:24 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14846 on: June 25, 2013, 10:27:05 pm »

Check and maintain the shuttle, then head to the medbay to see if anybody's dying in there.  If not, time for a nap!  Inside the shuttle, of course.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 10:58:41 pm by Remalle »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14847 on: June 25, 2013, 10:30:19 pm »

((Just read something disconcerting, the crstal is in our base hex... shouldnt we be running?))
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14848 on: June 25, 2013, 10:31:14 pm »

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14849 on: June 25, 2013, 10:41:01 pm »

((Just read something disconcerting, the crstal is in our base hex... shouldnt we be running?))
((No. Not running. We will evacuate in an orderly fashion, taking as many supplies with us as we can, and shutting down the whole base, AI included, when we do. The crystal reacts to stimuli. Blackout the base and get our stuff out of the way just in case, and let it do its thing. With any luck, the closest stimulus it finds will be the garbage disposal crater.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India
Pages: 1 ... 988 989 [990] 991 992 ... 1256