Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3937311 times)

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: Screwed and Mutinous
« Reply #14505 on: June 10, 2013, 10:23:35 am »

((The force it will gain when pushed in, and the force it will lose when pushed out will be equal, due to the Third Newtonian Law. If the rod doesn't snap, that is.

Even if it does, I don't think the change would be that great. Anybody wants to do the math on this?

Newton's third kinda goes out the window when you have an anomaly that literally stops any matter entering it dead in relative space, with no apparent conversion of kinetic or potential energy to anything else.
Nope it doesn't. Half the rod goes at the same speed, half the rod pushes forward faster. Then on the exit, half the rod slows down, half goes at the same speed. The result is equivalence.

The only question is what happens when we split that rod into many chunks at critical junctures, which can be calculated.))
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:07:25 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14506 on: June 10, 2013, 10:28:28 am »

((The real issue is that (as far as we know) the acceleration chamber isn't movable.  Now if we could figure out what creates these and replicate the effect, we'd have something stellar.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14507 on: June 10, 2013, 10:48:27 am »

((The force it will gain when pushed in, and the force it will lose when pushed out will be equal, due to the Third Newtonian Law. If the rod doesn't snap, that is.

Even if it does, I don't think the change would be that great. Anybody wants to do the math on this?))
((Newton's third kinda goes out the window when you have an anomaly that literally stops any matter entering it dead in relative space, with no apparent conversion of kinetic or potential energy to anything else. The system is far from a closed one here, most likely - the amplifier anomalies probably draw the required energy from the dampening anomalies, or just plain from the gravity of the planetoid or some other source. I suggest performing more tests to that effect when we have more time. We have a long time ahead of us still, and devoting some extra time to studying things we already found so we aren't surprised by them later could be beneficial. I mean that in the "let's stop finding new things for a moment and focus on things we already found" way.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14508 on: June 10, 2013, 11:36:35 am »

((This might be the time to change the team structure.

Explore team:  Goes to completely new zones and discovers what is there
Study team:  Goes to explored zones and studies what is there
Research team:  Stays at the base and works on what the other teams bring back

Just a suggestion.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14509 on: June 10, 2013, 12:59:16 pm »

((We kinda were like that already but
Research and Study team: Mostly stood around due to inactivity
Exploration team 1: Was doing really well before their ears exploded
Exploration team 2: Was doing really well before they woke the colossus

Maybe we should put fewer and more experienced people in exploration and have more scientists around.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14510 on: June 10, 2013, 01:50:33 pm »

Miyamoto, it doesn't look like it's losing anything while producing that fluid, so I'd bet that it's reproducing and not just deactivating itself. And considering what it's done already, even if it is deactivating, do we really want something like that so close to the base?

Aim in on the section that appears to be producing more fluid, if possible.

Get a good distance away from Manipulator guy, while remaining in range.
You turn tail and run, just in case.

"Anyone! HELP!"
Ask for help. Keep dodging the thing with the rockets if it keeps firing, preferably getting further away from it while doing so. If it doesn't fire, just keep crawling away.

((Assuming someone who can fly came and picked me up and that thing is still firing:))
"Thanks! Think you can get me to those black domes? I think it's the only thing that can stop its energy beams. And whatever you do, don't take me anywhere near the base."

"And can someone go and pick up my legs and stick 'em in the freezer? I like my legs. I've known them all my life. And I like the part of my exosuit that is with them. I wouldn't like them to stay out there to rot. Just don't mess with the orange stuff, that thing gets really angry when you do that."

EDIT:((And that MK2 is finally paying off. I'd prefer it if it didn't have to pay off, but oh well. No pain, no gain. If our scientists can analyze that crap I just collected and make a crystal tower for me, (or even better make me into a crystaltower) then it would have all been worth it. Some tokens would be fine too, but not as fine as me being able to drive that thing.))
The crystal appears to have given up the pursuit for the moment, so you drag yourself away as best you can on your hands and knees.

Try and set the mattress on fire. Burn the restraints. Try not to burn the base down.
((No, bad idea. Baaaaad.))

Try and squeeze out of the suit, and get out that way.
((Really guys, you didn't strip the prisoner?))
You can't really wiggle out of your suit. I mean, it would kind of defeat the purpose of a suit if you could just accidentally slip out of it.

I'm surprised no one has stopped to consider what would have happened if you hadn't stopped the ship. If the ship had flown too near that crystal. If it had been flying when the crystal fired.

Yeah... i didnt really bother reading any in character stuff after i tied you up...

run the fuck away from all of my teammates and hide behind an even bigger rock realize exactly what corsair is doing and run even fucking faster...

if corsair doesn't instantly vaporize everyone, cautiously make my way back towards the group.

You join the exodus away from your teammate's attempt to "help" the group.

((I come back, and suddenly very happy to be away from you guys. Somehow I doubt the result will be the same as in the dam mission.))

Missed me last turn. Let the girl sleep. Continue reading HMRCP from the start.
PS: I'm just assuming that in order to sleep in this mess one would have to turn off the coms to the teammates.

"Hey guys, about how far in did theird head-noise start in that one zone?"
"Dunno, I wasn't with them, and they didn't mark it. Team Green it was, albeit I don't think they have the time right now for that, with that monstrocity running around.
Are you sure you want to explore it alone? You might want to grab several drones from the cart then. And don't forget to mark what you find."

You flip to the first page of the Major Pantheon

A large heading on the top of the page reads "PATHMAS: GOD OF LUCK" while a subhead reads "Pathmas the all father, Pathmas the Judge, Pathmas the Incognizable". On the opposing page is a large hand drawn image of a seemingly genderless, faceless humanoid clothed in flowing cloth. In one hand he holds a knife and in the other an olive branch. A large symbol has been drawn beneath the image; that of a circle divided vertically through the center, with one half being white and the other being black.

"Pathmas is the all father of the Pantheons and final judge in all things. All other gods, his children, bow before his judgment, indecipherable as it is. His favor is fickle but powerful and his actions undecipherable."

Much of the page is filled with details as to how he is to be worshiped and how one may use his symbol. Apparently He is often prayed to in addition to the deity suited to the situation and his symbol is often placed above any others being inscribed, not only to show his authority but to act as a back up of sorts, garnering his favor in case the other god should go against you. Prayers to him should be left vague, asking only that he side in your favor in whatever you are about to do. His symbol is almost exclusively placed on people, rather then objects and it is actually believed to be dangerous to place it on objects, as Pathmas may spare the object and destroy it's user in turn.

((You do know what happened the last time someone tried to do something that big, right? Things get harder to do the more complicated or larger the area you're trying to manipulate. And the results if you screw up, can and probably will, be SEVERE.

I'm going to flee for my life now.))

Seeing an idiot pull out a manipulator with a twirl, Bishop suddenly has a sinking feeling in his gut.

"Oooh shit, not one of those! RUN!"

Fly hard and fast away from this suicidal idiot with the manipulator!

"Ahem. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH"

You also run away from your teammate. The irony of the fact that a single man with a manipulator inspires more abject terror then a giant crystal death machine is not lost on you.

"I have a bad feeling about this. I'm not taking any chances, I'm going as far away as possible."

Run after Bishop for as long as possible. Then take cover. Preferably more than three mile away.
The turn of running continues.

"I have a bad feeling about this. I'm not taking any chances, I'm going as far away as possible."

Run after Bishop for at least two hundred meters. Then take cover.
((You want more distance than that. Way more.))
((In the immortal words of one Burt Gummer:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"It's going to be BIG!"))

Anton considers his options, then brings up the radio channel to Miyamoto and Simus.

"Team Leader, XO, I think repairing the shuttle is going to require the assistance of one Morul Mig.. er. Well, the Morul guy. Who, as I understand, is rather tied up at the moment. Don't know what he was thinking when he shot this thing up, but there are so many potential faults that without some sort of external scanner we're likely to miss something that will bite us in the hindquarters when we least expect it - and he's the closest thing to a scanner we've got, unfortunately.

With your permission, I'll go check up on him and see if he can't be persuaded to cooperate under some security conditions.
"

Even as he is saying that, Anton walks back to the base to check on Morul. He also checks the Red Hand for a possible way to dial the spark gap current to non-lethal levels, while keeping the voltage high, so that the electrolaser can still work. A stun setting, it occurs to him, may be a worthwhile pursuit at this time.

Morul seems to be attempting to squirm out of his restraints. Not surprising really. You look at him for a while before enacting your plan of saying  "Hey, stoppit" and poking him.

As per a stun setting, sure, no reason why that couldn't work. Just have to limit the amps and it will work like a stun gun.

((Corsair, 'failure is the only option' is pretty much guaranteed if you go through with this.
If you just want to do something with your amp, maybe try freezing over that hole from where the fluid is pouring, so that it can't keep doing whatever it is doing.))

In case Corsair pulls through with his vaporize ground action: GTFO. Preferably away from both him and his target area.

((Yes, meta as hell, I know, but dying in such a stupid way would be a real bummer.))

Anton considers his options, then brings up the radio channel to Miyamoto and Simus.

"Team Leader, XO, I think repairing the shuttle is going to require the assistance of one Morul Mig.. er. Well, the Morul guy. Who, as I understand, is rather tied up at the moment. Don't know what he was thinking when he shot this thing up, but there are so many potential faults that without some sort of external scanner we're likely to miss something that will bite us in the hindquarters when we least expect it - and he's the closest thing to a scanner we've got, unfortunately.

With your permission, I'll go check up on him and see if he can't be persuaded to cooperate under some security conditions.
"

Even as he is saying that, Anton walks back to the base to check on Morul. He also checks the Red Hand for a possible way to dial the spark gap current to non-lethal levels, while keeping the voltage high, so that the electrolaser can still work. A stun setting, it occurs to him, may be a worthwhile pursuit at this time.

'I was going to make him help out once this thing is dealt with. You should get out or hide in the ai room in case this goes horrible wrong. I'm afraid he might try to make a run for it if you release him while we're all rather preoccupied.'
We'll just say you ran screaming with everyone else.

"'Scuse me, but I'm not sticking around for this..."
Take the minishuttle up.  Way up.

"I know I'm immortal, but I'm not THAT immortal."

You fly straight up and then away, zooming off a mile or so up and several out.

"Now if I only had popcorn."

Send a drone through the zone, if you'll let me retroactively bring one as part of my 'gear'.

"Yeah, I might have a drone lying around. If not, I'll just rock-throw my way through it, and turn back if it gets dangerous."
One has already been sent through the zone, which is why it's mapped but has no anomaly markings on it. Because the drone isn't effected by whatever is causing that, so it's not able to mark it.

"Oh Algis, protect us from alien death lasers and crazy teammate!  Amen!"

Follow fleeing teammates.

((I don't believe Lars has heard of the Dam Incident, but seeing most of the team run...))

I assume things like the dam incident would enter common parlance and pretty much everyone would know of it. I mean, it was probably the single most cataclysmic thing thats ever happened in the game. Sort of thing that becomes mythic.

Lukas

"Uhm, guys. I would reconsider any attempt to kill this thing at the moment. It looks perfectly capable of killing all of us at once and it hasn't done that. Let's not give him any reason to do it anyway. Anyway, I'm getting the fuck out of here."

Move away from the walking crystal as fast as possible. Any help is welcome! Preferably move away from anyone that has announced an attack on the crystal as well.
More running. For different reasons.

"SCREW YOU CRYSTAL"
MELTY MELTYSee if just creating some lava would be easier to try and "gum it up"Try and freeze over the cracks that the liquid is flowing through

Well, thats still a hell of a lot to do, like stopping a river in it's tracks, but you're better off like that, thats for sure.

[uncon:4+1]
Lucky lucky.

You type like mad, losing yourself in the math, hyperventilating as your fingers fly across the keys like something possessed. Your nose bleeds and your eyes water from the effort, you clench your jaw so tight your teeth grind and threaten to break. You feel like you no longer have control, like you are simply a catalyst for your desire. And it's over. You hit execute and slam the cover back down.

The Crystal jerks to a stop as the fluid it's releasing hardens just before being expelled, freezing in place. The crystal wavers slightly and then raises a dozen or more legs up in all directions around it. They all begin to glow.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14511 on: June 10, 2013, 02:00:41 pm »

((Uh oh, now it's mad... If you manipulator users are feeling lucky, you can try to continue freezing it by doing its legs.))

See if any of the things are pointing in my direction, or will point in my direction if they swing lazily. If yes, rocket out of the way, preferably high up since that thing will probably swing horizontally. If not, stand perfectly still, but still rocket away if necessary. If the thing stops firing, keep crawling away.((I hope my previous experience will help me predict the crystal's shooting directions better.))
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 03:57:31 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14512 on: June 10, 2013, 02:05:16 pm »

((Now you dunnit.))

"Algis, shield us from the wrath of this alien crystal!  O Pathmas, may you favor us with your blessings!  Steve, deliver us in our time of need!"

Pray and run.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14513 on: June 10, 2013, 02:06:55 pm »

"FUCKING RUN!"

Run as far as possible to the right.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14514 on: June 10, 2013, 02:20:48 pm »

((Loving this.

Your teammate has decided to use a manipulator. What are the possibilities?

Possibility 1: He fails. Huge explosion. RUN!!!
Possibility 2: He succeeds. Oh crap. RUN!!!))

Not bad not bad. Seems well crafted so far. Let's what we have next.

Read next page. Lower the volume on the coms so I can concentrate. Silently giggle at the running away ants.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 02:27:57 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14515 on: June 10, 2013, 03:15:26 pm »

((Heh, funny how the guy that started this is the one furthest away, safe from possible harm. Oh the... Irony?

Also, I'd really like to focus on getting the rough exploration done before starting more in-depth investigations. Because once we have everything more or less mapped out, I was going to let you all run more freely, instead of giving detailed instructions like now.))

Doooodge!

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14516 on: June 10, 2013, 03:16:14 pm »

((Where do alien death crystals fit into the plan?))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14517 on: June 10, 2013, 03:19:11 pm »

((Where do alien death crystals fit into the plan?))

((Well, if people had payed heed to my 'no experimenting for the exploration teams yet' this wouldn't have happened already. Right now, the plans begin after we deal with this.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14518 on: June 10, 2013, 04:04:08 pm »

"Oh, shit."
Get higher and farther!

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14519 on: June 10, 2013, 04:33:27 pm »

"Lemme out. Please? Pretty please?"

Wiggle some more.

((You guys are idiots. Remember Ivan? He was fine till I put my gun to his head. The crystal was fine until you took it's fluid, and froze it. Why do we have this insane desire to poke things that should not be poked? Why do you think I shot the goddammed shuttle? To save you from yourselves.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))
Pages: 1 ... 966 967 [968] 969 970 ... 1256