Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3936942 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: Screwed and Mutinous
« Reply #14370 on: June 05, 2013, 01:01:37 pm »

((I think that was a bit off, since Jack said he was going down, and Anton and a couple others said they were going to check the feed to see what's happening. Also, I don't think anyone suggested taking Morul to medbay, the action was to get him down the bunker.

Also, is there any chance that in the future you would respond to clarification and missed action updates in these hot situation ahead of time, seeing as how we would have been more informed if we knew (with Flint's action) that the shot was coming from the Collosus.))

Never a good idea to say anything in those situations unless you're in command. If everyone starts to scream and swear right now, this will become chaos, and then it's impossible to hear the commands. Radio silence.

We'll see how this goes, this earthquake is unnerving.

I misinterpreted life support. Not a big deal, all things considered. As per jack being there, I was assuming that he would stay and watch the cameras until he could get down into the core. And since everyone was making a mad dash down that single ladder, I figured he would still be waiting as the shot hit. We can say that anyone else who was up there too saw as well, if you want. It's all recorded anyways, so everyone can watch it at their leisure.

And yeah, if it would have made a difference- ie if someone could have gotten hurt or if there was legitimately something you guys could have done at that point, then I would have taken an extra turn or retconned it. I understand the problem in general, but in this specific case, Flint's input really wouldn't have changed much, as far as I can see.  But in this case there was literally nothing you could have done, at least not at this point in time. Earlier, sure. Now, sure, but you just didn't have enough time to do anything that would hurt or harm you at that point. Mostly because the "in universe" time between the two turns was like 60-90 seconds or so. Really, you guys barely had time to run inside.  Sorry about that, but I figured it best to move ahead rather then delay a turn with clarification that wouldn't really effect anything.

Out of curiosity, What would you guys have done anyways? Just hide somewhere different or are you disappointed you didn't have the chance to record it?

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:07:09 pm by piecewise »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14371 on: June 05, 2013, 01:06:07 pm »

((Well, I would have probably done the same thing I'm doing this turn (shoot it), only without the suicidal part at the end.

EDIT: And also warn people to get out of the way and/or start shooting.

EDIT2: And I would have probably made a "Charging its laser" joke :P))
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:15:39 pm by Parisbre56 »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14372 on: June 05, 2013, 01:08:26 pm »

((If it was a shot from Sector 6, I would have simply run out of it's way. Regarding what we could have done in this situation, seeing as Lucas and Flint have both decided to engage this thing, that might have happened. Also, Jack's taking a rocket-bike to Flint (no, I don't know why).

And I wouldn't have gone down the ladder if I knew the power of this thing. But I suppose I wouldn't have known that. You know, when you ask it like that, maybe there was nothing that I personally would have changed in this specific case, but it still helps to read it beforehand and think "Do I want to change my action?" Also, it forces people who got skipped to basically play catch-up for one turn, doing the same action they did before.

Also, you could have clarified it ahead of your usual posting time, and then posted the turn later in the day, so it wouldn't have cost us a turn. Not that I can speak for your schedule.))
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 01:18:39 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14373 on: June 05, 2013, 01:16:51 pm »

((Well, I would have probably done the same thing I'm doing this turn (shoot it), only without the suicidal part at the end.))
Valid enough. If you want, and I'm sure Thearpox does, we can retcon that and any other actions that you guys could have taken within a good minute, minute and a half in.

Of course only if it makes sense. Don't want one of you guys running laserward with a sample jar like the prophetic scientist.

((If it was a shot from Sector 6, I would have simply run out of it's way. Regarding what we could have done in this situation, seeing as Lucas and Flint have both decided to engage this thing, that might have happened. Also, Jack's taking a rocket-bike to Flint (no, I don't know why).

And I wouldn't have gone down the ladder if I knew the power of this thing. But I suppose I wouldn't have known that. You know, when you ask it like that, maybe there was nothing that I personally would have changed in this specific case, but it still helps to read it beforehand and think "Do I want to change my action?"

Also, you could have clarified it ahead of your usual posting time, and then posted the turn later in the day, so it wouldn't have cost us a turn. Not that I can speak for your schedule.))
I understand why you're annoyed with it. Sucks to be left feeling like you couldn't respond simply because I missed someone and you didn't have the information or your action got missed. I'll try to be better about that in the future, even if it didn't matter much in this particular circumstance.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14374 on: June 05, 2013, 01:24:45 pm »

((I say do it if you can, since it will show us whether or not shooting the thing with a laser does anything and if that anything is for better or for worse, so that Lukas doesn't have to take the risk of shooting it. It may also lead to my horrible death, but at least that means nobody has to risk flying here to pick me up.))

So, my action for this retcon if it happens: Shoot its energy projector with the laser with the aim of disabling it or at least distracting it. Say appropriate distraction words in an action movie hero fashion:"Hey, I'm over here you big stupid crystal thing."Make sure to fire at least one pulse to the spinning bits if possible.((Everybody knows the spinning bits are the most important.))
EDIT2: Ignore that retcon request. Most people have posted their actions anyway and I wouldn't like to force them to wait or change their actions due to something my action does or doesn't do.

EDIT:((And now that I think about it, there's also the part about roleplaying. Sure, not much would have changed gameplay wise by what I would have said or done, but people would probably have said and done different things. And I think RP is one of the very fun parts of this game.))
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:49:19 pm by Parisbre56 »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14375 on: June 05, 2013, 01:30:00 pm »

"Flint, I'm going to be joining you soon of you wish."

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14376 on: June 05, 2013, 01:33:22 pm »

Grab my equipment, and some syringes and drugs from the medbay, before running down to the AI core.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
A
« Reply #14377 on: June 05, 2013, 02:44:13 pm »

((Funny how i post some RP one day, go to sleep, and when I check the thread there are PAGES UPON PAGES of rp out of frakking nowhere. Nice.

Also, will be responding to stuff from before the latest update because it'd be moot otherwise.))
More stuff....
((Well, that's how diplomacy works. It takes a lot of space. And I can't determine if you're happy about it or not.

BUT, I'm going to be standing by my side, that I persuaded Morul to come down without any guarantees, all by myself. And I don't see how that stuff becomes moot if you don't reply to it.
It actually becomes a lot more confusing if you do, because I was leading the conversation, and you're responding to what he was saying to me, basically cutting me out of the equation, which makes the dialogue really disjoined and not making any sense, and then... meh, do you see the problem? (Basically, neither he nor I can reply to your arguments, nor you can steer the dialogue.)
And I also happen to take it as a personal accomplishment that I managed to persuade someone to come down without ceding any ground, and will surely mention it should an appropriate situation arise, even though Piecewise didn't officially recognize it.))

((Of course I like it, Good RP is always fun to see unfold. And the reason I still wanted to reply and but into your dialogue, was because it would be weird to bring all that up later when he was conscious again. Which was what the moot was referring to, i.e. my responses, not your rp. Just imagine it being said to him in the background.
And congrats on talking him out of it, but tell me: why would you even care if it were you who did that specifically? If the answer is IC bragging rights, then by all means go ahead, just wondering really.))

"Oh crap, I was right. The one time I'm right it's going to kill us all. Awesome."

'Hey Morul, wouldn't you wish there was something like, say, a strike team of armed people pointing big guns at the crystal? Or a fast shuttle to fly people away from here? Cause I sure would.'

Oh c'mon now Miyamoto, no time to rub that in. You're bigger than that. Hell, He can't even hear you. I was still right though...

Over the shaking, Bishop keys in to Miyamoto's radio and shouts over the shaking.
"I sure hope you have an idea of what to do, 'cause we don't! WHAT DO WE DO?!"
'Hey Bishie, where did my cold blooded technician with the balls of steel go? Cause I liked him better than this one. In other words: help us out with disabling that thing, we faced worse than this, and we WILL pull through.'

Remembering what happened last time when he didn't state his reasons over comms, Miyamoto opens an open comm channel.
'Okay people, this is it. The planetoid has finally come around to send us its welcoming committee, and wouldn't you know it, they forgot to bring the cake. So lets go teach it some manners.

I will need the people with boosters to join me in taking that thing down, or at least try to disable its cannon. It may not be deliberately shooting us, but it sure as hell got close, so we don't have a choice.
Lukas, I'll try to carry you closer so you can fire your cannon. Bishop, Simus, use your rockets to go with us, be sure to bring your weapons if you have any. If any of you have any sort of special weapon to add to that, get in with Mesk. 2 people max, or we'l be tripping over each other here. We have no time to waste now, so if you don't have some decent firepower to add, or a manipulator at least, don't bother and evacuate with the rest.
Anton and Michael, you each take a minishuttle, load 3 other people up and get the hell out, fly to the edge of blacktower fortress if you can. You should be safe from further shots there.
Mesk, and sorry to ask this of you yet again, but I need you to fly any who volunteer with us to the dry lake bed. If none do however, you too should get the hell out.

Okay then people, you know what to do, so GET YOUR ASSES IN GEAR AND MOVE.

Oh, and someone drag Morul into a shuttle too, I want him to see what damage he caused when this is over.'

Carry Lukas and fly toward the dry lake bed, take the route between hex 6 and 7, then between 6 and 16.

Watch the crystal.
If I see it charging for another shot aiming towards my direction, get out of the way, use jump rockets if necessary.
If I see it charging for another shot and it's aiming towards the base (ie, counter clockwise from where it was aiming) shoot its energy projector with the laser with the aim of disabling it or at least distracting it. Say appropriate distraction words in an action movie hero fashion:
"Hey, I'm over here you big stupid crystal thing."
If that doesn't work, use my jump rockets to gain as much speed as possible and as much altitude as necessary and try to either slash at its weapon with the monorazor or outright ram it if I can't slash it with the hope that it will lose its aim and miss.

((Dude, if you get shoved into space or something, I am soooo not going to bail you out.
Nah, just kidding. I'm a sucker for theatrics. Will probably get me killed too.))

« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 03:09:17 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14378 on: June 05, 2013, 02:47:07 pm »

"Praise to the gods!"

Get herded into a minishuttle with the rest of the flock.  Sing hymns and praises.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14379 on: June 05, 2013, 02:55:28 pm »

"I volunteer to join mesk. I'm not going to let a bloody crystal kill me!

join mesk.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14380 on: June 05, 2013, 03:13:55 pm »

"Sorry Miyamoto, but what exactly do you want me to fly people around in?"

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14381 on: June 05, 2013, 03:28:06 pm »

"Sorry Miyamoto, but what exactly do you want me to fly people around in?"

'one of the 4-man minishuttles from the garage.'

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14382 on: June 05, 2013, 03:36:45 pm »

Wake up, and Weirdvision the FUCK out of that crystal.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14383 on: June 05, 2013, 03:38:29 pm »

((I think having untrained people driving may actually be more dangerous then the tower. And if the base is destroyed we won't survive long without food and water. Unless we begin hunting.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14384 on: June 05, 2013, 06:49:53 pm »

Over the radio: "FUUUUUCK! CODE RED! IT HAS A FUCKING LASER! It...shit, this is bad. It just created a big valley. I'm taking a rocket bike to flint. Someone stay and watch the cameras. Miyamoto, orders?"

inform everyone of what happened. Then get in a rocket bike.
You shout a rather...frantically imprecise message over the coms before running out to the garage and hopping on the nearest rocketbike.

"FUUUUUCK! CODE RED! IT HAS A FUCKING LASER! It...shit, this is bad. It just created a big valley."

inform everyone of what happend.

Lukas stops in his tracks when he hears what happened. "Guys, that was close. I think it was going for the base and it will only be a matter of time before it will actually succeed at hitting us. We're fucked if we stay here."

Lukas turns around and leaves the base. He goes outside and tries to figure out whether he can get a clear shot from where he is (outside the base). If so, he digs in and charges his particle cannon. If not, he tries to think of the best way to get into a good firing position.
You wander outside and look down range at the crystal colossus. You might be able to hit it from here, with your sniper rifle, but it's gonna lose a hell of a lot of power traveling from here to there. So you could either get closer-maybe not a smart idea-or you could find a way to pump enough power into the rifle to allow it to maintain a deadly amount of force over...like 20 miles or so. It's a long freaking shot bro. You're going to be majorly factoring in the curvature of the planet.

"I propose we start investing in forcefields. It usually works in computer games."

Get that scanner check done. What is happening, why is it happening, and how soon and how far do we need to move.
Well the sensors can't tell you why something is happening or how soon it will happen or how far you have to move. All they can do is tell you is that recently something-probably that crystal-in the direction of zone 15 began emitting rather worryingly massive amounts of electromagnetic radiation. And then heat and light. And then the sensors white out for a bit. And some of them go dead. Then they reset and show the new changes to the geography.

As of right now, there are no unusual...ok, strike that, there are no unidentified emissions. There's heat from the path the "laser" dug, but other then that everything is the same as before. The crystal seems to be moving, but not releasing energy.

((Yeah, I would have changed my action (and I guess the others too) if I had seen this was happening. But, anyway, nothing I can do about it now, so no sense complaining.))

In the darkness of the dimmed helmet only the afterimage of the Colossus' beam was visible, the flash of bright light embedded in Flint's retina. "Ow, my eyes, my freaking eyes, that fucking thing blinded me. I told you we should have demolished it the moment we saw it! I-" Flint's panicking was cut short when the visor undimmed and he noticed that he could still see, although his vision still pulsed with a multicolor spot in the place he had seen the beam erupt from the colossus. "Negative, scratch that, visor just dimmed. That thing has grown some kind of energy weapon out of itself and it's pointing it dangerously close to the base. Are you still getting my stream from my helmetcam? Should I engage?"

Watch the crystal.

If I see it charging for another shot aiming towards my direction, get out of the way, use jump rockets if necessary.

If I see it charging for another shot and it's aiming towards the base (ie, counter clockwise from where it was aiming) shoot its energy projector with the laser with the aim of disabling it or at least distracting it. Shout appropriate distraction words in an action movie hero fashion:
If that doesn't work, use my jump rockets to gain as much speed as possible and as much altitude as necessary and try to either slash at its weapon with the monorazor or outright ram it if I can't slash it with the hope that it will lose its aim and miss.
You wait for your visor to reset and blink a few times as the crystal comes back into view. It's on the move, heading northward, straight into the canyon it just dug for itself.

It doesn't seem to be charging anything; it has absorbed it's "laser limb" and has stopped producing light.

The crystal  lowers it's bottom section into the still white hot canyon. It slowly begins crawling forward as it's bottom half cracks open and begins leaking a bright orange fluid that begins to fill the canyon.

((I say do it if you can, since it will show us whether or not shooting the thing with a laser does anything and if that anything is for better or for worse, so that Lukas doesn't have to take the risk of shooting it. It may also lead to my horrible death, but at least that means nobody has to risk flying here to pick me up.))

So, my action for this retcon if it happens: Shoot its energy projector with the laser with the aim of disabling it or at least distracting it. Say appropriate distraction words in an action movie hero fashion: "Hey, I'm over here you big stupid crystal thing."
Make sure to fire at least one pulse to the spinning bits if possible. ((Everybody knows the spinning bits are the most important.))

EDIT:((And now that I think about it, there's also the part about roleplaying. Sure, not much would have changed gameplay wise by what I would have said or done, but people would probably have said and done different things. And I think RP is one of the very fun parts of this game.))
Cast your mind back to the frightening days of...like 2 minutes ago.

You kneel down and take aim as light pools and swirls around the crystal's limb like a celestial whirlpool.

"Eat Light Amplified by Stimulated Emission of Radiation You damn dirty crystalline life form!"

You fire several bursts at the creature's limb. At least you think you do. It's far enough away that you can't really be sure and any damage is lost somewhere in the tiny sun forming on the crystal's new limb. Your visor blackens a moment later.

Grab my equipment, and some syringes and drugs from the medbay, before running down to the AI core.
You're there, loaded up. It's not clear, I know, but I quoted you in the big post of everyone running toward the core, so you can assume you're down there with your supplies.

((Funny how i post some RP one day, go to sleep, and when I check the thread there are PAGES UPON PAGES of rp out of frakking nowhere. Nice.

Also, will be responding to stuff from before the latest update because it'd be moot otherwise.))
More stuff....
((Well, that's how diplomacy works. It takes a lot of space. And I can't determine if you're happy about it or not.

BUT, I'm going to be standing by my side, that I persuaded Morul to come down without any guarantees, all by myself. And I don't see how that stuff becomes moot if you don't reply to it.
It actually becomes a lot more confusing if you do, because I was leading the conversation, and you're responding to what he was saying to me, basically cutting me out of the equation, which makes the dialogue really disjoined and not making any sense, and then... meh, do you see the problem? (Basically, neither he nor I can reply to your arguments, nor you can steer the dialogue.)
And I also happen to take it as a personal accomplishment that I managed to persuade someone to come down without ceding any ground, and will surely mention it should an appropriate situation arise, even though Piecewise didn't officially recognize it.))

((Of course I like it, Good RP is always fun to see unfold. And the reason I still wanted to reply and but into your dialogue, was because it would be weird to bring all that up later when he was conscious again. Which was what the moot was referring to, i.e. my responses, not your rp. Just imagine it being said to him in the background.
And congrats on talking him out of it, but tell me: why would you even care if it were you who did that specifically? If the answer is IC bragging rights, then by all means go ahead, just wondering really.))

"Oh crap, I was right. The one time I'm right it's going to kill us all. Awesome."

'Hey Morul, wouldn't you wish there was something like, say, a strike team of armed people pointing big guns at the crystal? Or a fast shuttle to fly people away from here? Cause I sure would.'

Oh c'mon now Miyamoto, no time to rub that in. You're bigger than that. Hell, He can't even hear you. I was still right though...

Over the shaking, Bishop keys in to Miyamoto's radio and shouts over the shaking.
"I sure hope you have an idea of what to do, 'cause we don't! WHAT DO WE DO?!"
'Hey Bishie, where did my cold blooded technician with the balls of steel go? Cause I liked him better than this one. In other words: help us out with disabling that thing, we faced worse than this, and we WILL pull through.'

Remembering what happened last time when he didn't state his reasons over comms, Miyamoto opens an open comm channel.
'Okay people, this is it. The planetoid has finally come around to send us its welcoming committee, and wouldn't you know it, they forgot to bring the cake. So lets go teach it some manners.

I will need the people with boosters to join me in taking that thing down, or at least try to disable its cannon. It may not be deliberately shooting us, but it sure as hell got close, so we don't have a choice.
Lukas, I'll try to carry you closer so you can fire your cannon. Bishop, Simus, use your rockets to go with us, be sure to bring your weapons if you have any. If any of you have any sort of special weapon to add to that, get in with Mesk. 2 people max, or we'l be tripping over each other here. We have no time to waste now, so if you don't have some decent firepower to add, or a manipulator at least, don't bother and evacuate with the rest.
Anton and Michael, you each take a minishuttle, load 3 other people up and get the hell out, fly to the edge of blacktower fortress if you can. You should be safe from further shots there.
Mesk, and sorry to ask this of you yet again, but I need you to fly any who volunteer with us to the dry lake bed. If none do however, you too should get the hell out.

Okay then people, you know what to do, so GET YOUR ASSES IN GEAR AND MOVE.

Oh, and someone drag Morul into a shuttle too, I want him to see what damage he caused when this is over.'

Carry Lukas and fly toward the dry lake bed, take the route between hex 6 and 7, then between 6 and 16.

Watch the crystal.
If I see it charging for another shot and it's aiming towards the base (ie, counter clockwise from where it was aiming) shoot its energy projector with the laser with the aim of disabling it or at least distracting it. Say appropriate distraction words in an action movie hero fashion:

((Dude, if you get shoved into space or something, I am soooo not going to bail you out.
Nah, just kidding. I'm a sucker for theatrics. Will probably get me killed too.))

You grab lukas and fly him and yourself over to the edge of the dry lake bed. It takes a fair bit of fuel to carry you both that far.

"Praise to the gods!"

Get herded into a minishuttle with the rest of the flock.  Sing hymns and praises.
You stagger to the minishuttle and strap yourself into one of the bucket seats.

"Time to deliver the good word onto the faithless alien masses. And then blow them up."

"I volunteer to join mesk. I'm not going to let a bloody crystal kill me!

join mesk.
You join up with mesk in the ai core and stick near him. Clearly he's a good guy to follow.

Wake up, and Weirdvision the FUCK out of that crystal.

You appear to have been strapped to a table. This makes getting outside and using your weird-o-vision rather hard. You could try and use it through everything between here and there...but it might be dangerous.

Pages: 1 ... 957 958 [959] 960 961 ... 1256