Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3937217 times)

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: Screwed and Mutinous
« Reply #14355 on: June 05, 2013, 09:14:58 am »

"You better hurry up morul. We have that Holy Carp energy incoming."

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14356 on: June 05, 2013, 09:52:12 am »

"You better hurry up morul. We have that Holy Carp energy incoming."

((I think he is unconscious...or does your character not know that yet?))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14357 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:12 am »

((The alert woke him up. What if it being implied that it is a very loud alert.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14358 on: June 05, 2013, 10:12:42 am »

((The alert woke him up. What if it being implied that it is a very loud alert.))
((Morul is unconscious due to being hit in the head. You are not Morul. And alarms don't usually cure the concussion Morul seems to be suffering from.))

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14359 on: June 05, 2013, 10:13:31 am »

((I thought you meant me. Deep.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14360 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:05 am »

((Funny how i post some RP one day, go to sleep, and when I check the thread there are PAGES UPON PAGES of rp out of frakking nowhere. Nice.

Also, will be responding to stuff from before the latest update because it'd be moot otherwise.))
More stuff....
((Well, that's how diplomacy works. It takes a lot of space. And I can't determine if you're happy about it or not.

BUT, I'm going to be standing by my side, that I persuaded Morul to come down without any guarantees, all by myself. And I don't see how that stuff becomes moot if you don't reply to it.
It actually becomes a lot more confusing if you do, because I was leading the conversation, and you're responding to what he was saying to me, basically cutting me out of the equation, which makes the dialogue really disjoined and not making any sense, and then... meh, do you see the problem? (Basically, neither he nor I can reply to your arguments, nor you can steer the dialogue.)

And I also happen to take it as a personal accomplishment that I managed to persuade someone to come down without ceding any ground, and will surely mention it should an appropriate situation arise, even though Piecewise didn't officially recognize it.))
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:35:44 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14361 on: June 05, 2013, 11:34:37 am »

((Isn't someone going to pull him in?))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14362 on: June 05, 2013, 11:48:15 am »

You gotta be kidding me... morul fucks our shuttle and we get an energy storm... someones gonna get screwed over, i can see it coming.

confiscate moruls gun and kick him forcibly in the crotch for good measure, drag him to life support and somehow tie him up.

Also grab my machete and guard him in case he tries to escape when he wakes up.

You drag Morul to the Medbay and strap him to one of the beds. That done, you whip out your machete and sit down next to the bed, all ready to lop off a foot if he tries to get away.

To Alvin:"WHERE?!"
wait for response

>ZONE 15

"Thing's moving eastwards. Looks like we can call of this attack for now, since it won't threaten the base from there." I really wanted to attack it before it had changed. There doesn't seem to be much to gain by sampling it now... "I'll keep following it and reporting back."

Go the long way around the electrical fields so that I can follow the thing without entering the electrical fields. Begin standard rock throwing  procedure once I enter unknown territory.
May I have my missed action from the previous turn, please? Where am I? What did I see while I was watching crystalthing? What's crystalthing doing now? Am I in danger? Did I get vaporized? I kinda need to know those stuff so that I know how to react and provide info to the others.

EDIT: Also, can I detect the signal of the drone that vanished in the black domes?
Lets say you got a little way back away from the fields, but not too far.

As per what the crystal is doing; it appears to be deforming, changing shape  slightly. A complex crystalline projection unfolds from it's "body", pointed vaguely northward. It begins spinning, pieces whirling around the central axis of the protrusion and light flows out from the center into the new structure.

((PW: So which would be the accurate measurement? Internal consistency with the information you gave during the autopsy (references to lead and tungsten with regards to density) leads me to believe that it would be 0.106lbs/in3, with the original being the corrected 19g/cm3.

This also makes it much, much more viable than your second statement, as with this density, you could have 7 times more material for approximately the same weight that was be given by your second statement, which happens to be 15.98 times denser than osmium, which is the densest naturally occurring element.))

To everyone on base: I think everyone should gather in Life Support or the AI Core. NOW.

To those not on base: Those of you who are not on the base, stay where you are, ALVIN has warned us here of a high energy event. What kind, it did not say. Stay put and don't be alarmed if we're out of contact for a while.

To ALVIN: What kind of reaction?

Attempt to herd others on base with me into Life Support or the AI Core.
Grab my equipment, and some syringes and drugs from the medbay, before running down to the AI core.
"Serves him right for climbing around with inner ear damage."

Grab some food and water and head to the AI core for shelter, pronto!
Lukas turns to Mesk: "Great, now what? You think we should go back to the base to take cover from this high energy charge thing?"

Don't wait for an answer. Walk back to base straight away. (How far away am I btw?)
You guys never got anywhere. Remember? Shuttle got shot down just outside the base.
Anton is just done parking the MPV and unloading and storing the trailer in the Garage when the alert is sounded.

"Great, another one. If this keeps up, one of these days this planetoid's going to spontaneously combust while we're not looking. ALVIN! What are we dealing with, will the base be safe?"

Anton asks these questions on the run, making best speed to CCR. Once there he repeats the sensor check from last time the base was threatened. Where is it, how big, where is it pointing.

Enact either 'Hide in Bunker' or 'Vacate the Premises' routines based on ALVIN's data and what can be seen on the sensors.

((Darn it, you people always have the most exciting things happen when I leave.

Maybe I should leave more often. ^_^))
Jack wakes up. "Crap."

Take cover in the AI core.
Yeah, we should probably get an update from Flint before anything.

Enact either 'Hide in Bunker' or 'Vacate the Premises' routines based on what Anton finds.

((It can still make more sense to leave the base instead of staying in it. Not that you know how to drive a rocketbike.

And the message still stands, it just means you'll depart later, after the incident. This also goes out to everyone I've sent the message out to.

Also, what would be really amusing, is if the shot goes straight through the prone shuttle. That would wreck my day.))
((Holy crap. I guess it's a little too late to respond to Vichs message now.))

Take shelter in the AI core

Lars waved his arms in the air.  "O Algis, may your shielding hands protect us from this high energy stuff!  Pathmas, may we be ever in your favor.  In the name of Steve, amen."

That done, he headed for the AI core with the group.

Say prayer.  Head to AI core.  Let someone soft-looking go first in case I fall, so I can land on them.
((Funny how i post some RP one day, go to sleep, and when I check the thread there are PAGES UPON PAGES of rp out of frakking nowhere. Nice.

Also, will be responding to stuff from before the latest update because it'd be moot otherwise.))

Miyamoto, my suit can more than tank gauss rounds, remember? It phases me out so the projectile goes right through. In any case, he probably won't get a chance to shoot.
'Oh right, that weird suit you have. I forgot about that. You know, now that you mention it, how does that even work? I mean, how does it activate, is it automatic or do you need to think about it?'

((The feeds ARE labelled actually. They had the names of the previous team's members before Simus changed them.
And "I shot the shuttle. But I didn't shoot the pilot seat."))
"Erm... I see. Ummm... Thanks for the info. I guess."

'Always a pleasure.'

((Those new lyrics fit surprisingly well into that song.))

"The reason I shot the shuttle is because you would not listen to reason. We know dick diddly squat about this crystal, and for all we know, all it's doing is grabbing a bite to eat, and looking for somewhere else to sleep. As long as it leaves us alone, let's leave it alone. Do unto others and all that crap. Because seriously, I just proved what happens when you get attacked. You go all murdermode on the perceived threat. It is much bigger than us, and judging on how much electricity it just abosorbed, it has way more killing power than us."
'Damn it Morul, you are so wrong on so many levels that if it were a contest you'd be Champion of the Galaxy by now. We were not, in fact, going out to just shoot it. We were moving into a position that would allow us to actually do something if it was, indeed, posing a threat to us. '

"Because I know EXACTLY what my bullet hit. If you ask nicely, I can tell you, so you don't have to tear the shuttle apart to figure it out. Plus there is the wreckage of the other shuttle to scavenge parts from. And don't forget the rocket pods you so kindly pointed out, as well as the mini-shuttles, the rocket bikes, the MPV, and those things called legs you are standing on."
'If you ask nicely I will refrain from tying you to a chair for the rest of the year after that shuttle is repaired.'

"Need I state that a shuttle isn't exactly the best combat platform? No room to dodge, relying on a pilot to do that, no offence Mesk, and sorry about that shuttle, I know you liked it, and as demonstrated it can easily be grounded. If you had a grasp of tactics, you would understand that it would be best to have the crystal come to you, make it fight by your terms, on your turf. If need be, we can set up fortifications, reinforce them, what have you. But until then, provoking the crystal only ends in death and destruction. And not by any means is it certain that it would be the crystals."

'We were never going to fire from a frigging shuttle, but we needed that to get anywhere in any sort of decent time. And boy, if you think holing up in a base, which is our only lifeline on this rock, is the best thing to do in this particular situation, then 'tactics' is not a concept you should accuse others of lacking. It is NOT always best to fight on your own turf, you should instead strive to make the conditions favor your side, which in this case means diverting any threats away from this base. And no amount of fortifications would help you if that thing either walks over us, or starts lobbing rocks again. This is simply not the kind of enemy a static defense is good against.

While my plan indeed had its risks, tell me you Sun Tzu wannabe: If instead of wandering away that thing would have started shooting us, where in your magnificent strategy is your plan B? Cause without a shuttle we'd all be sitting ducks here. At least my idea ensured there would be people in the field to handle with it, instead now Flint is alone out there risking his life for us.'

"Well, simply put, there are a number of people who want to kill me down there. Would you walk into a group of enemies with greater numbers and firepower than you? If not, then why expect me to? If you all agree to not kill me, I'll throw you my rifle, and climb on down. Simple."
'Despite all the damage you caused, I can assure you you will not get physically hurt for your actions. Punished, yes, but I ain't no psychopath.'

"Hrmm. I agree there is no way off this roof that doesn't end in capture. All I want is a guarantee that my getting off this roof will not end in death."

Open comms to all teammates: 'While I know many of you are pissed at him for what he did, let it be known now that any who unnecessarily hurt or damage him will get the exact same punishment as he will. The. Exact. Same. No discussions on this, we are better than an angry mob.'

'You know, a lot of this could have been avoided if you had given any of your reasoning before you shot one of our most valuable assets. Or at least ask for more info before acting rashly. Instead all I got from you was a 'my gut feeling says no' and that's all. In fact, had the rest of the team agreed that going out was a bad idea I would not have gone through with it. Because I do, in fact, listen to reason instead of just using brute force to get what I want.

Let it be known that If any of you ever think I'm making a disastrously wrong decision, if you can get over half the crew to agree with you I will refrain fro whatever it was I was planning. Because yes, I do try to simply do what's best for us all.'

Fly to base, carry Mesk and lukas if I can, go in Ai core and try to determine what is happening. Also drag Morul to Life support if no-one else does.

The rest of the team scurries into the base and down into the AI core. Or at least they head in that direction. Only about half of them have actually made it down the ladder when it happens.

Flint sees part of it before his visor automatically shuts down to stop him from going blind. He sees the light gather at the end of the crystal's new limb, but he only catches the first instant of it firing. A beam of white yellow molten light, like the filaments of a solar flare, lashes out from the crystal and sweeps blindly forward across a half dozen zones. The beam half explodes, half melts a path- a white hot canyon- a quarter mile wide and 30 feet deep, straight out for over 50 miles. From their vantage point within the base, the only one who sees anything is Jack, still watching the monitors as the beam sweep over the gravity seep outside and distorts violently as the plasma is torn downward and the entire crater glows like a trapped star for a moment. The entire base seems to heave back and forth several feet as the team cowers down below in the core.

Map update.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvvfviqlvkl3i9t/overall%20map.png

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14363 on: June 05, 2013, 12:04:33 pm »

((I think that was a bit off, since Jack said he was going down, and Anton and a couple others said they were going to check the feed to see what's happening. Also, I don't think anyone suggested taking Morul to medbay, the action was to get him down the bunker.

Also, is there any chance that in the future you would respond to clarification and missed action updates in these hot situation ahead of time, seeing as how we would have been more informed if we knew (with Flint's action) that the shot was coming from the Collosus.))

Never a good idea to say anything in those situations unless you're in command. If everyone starts to scream and swear right now, this will become chaos, and then it's impossible to hear the commands. Radio silence.

We'll see how this goes, this earthquake is unnerving.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:17:07 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14364 on: June 05, 2013, 12:07:59 pm »

Over the radio: "FUUUUUCK! CODE RED! IT HAS A FUCKING LASER! It...shit, this is bad. It just created a big valley. I'm taking a rocket bike to flint. Someone stay and watch the cameras. Miyamoto, orders?"

inform everyone of what happened.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 02:52:13 pm by Tavik Toth »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14365 on: June 05, 2013, 12:16:40 pm »

Over the shaking, Bishop keys in to Miyamoto's radio and shouts over the shaking.

"I sure hope you have an idea of what to do, 'cause we don't! WHAT DO WE DO?!"

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14366 on: June 05, 2013, 12:17:51 pm »

"FUUUUUCK! CODE RED! IT HAS A FUCKING LASER! It...shit, this is bad. It just created a big valley."

inform everyone of what happend.

Lukas stops in his tracks when he hears what happened. "Guys, that was close. I think it was going for the base and it will only be a matter of time before it will actually succeed at hitting us. We're fucked if we stay here."

Lukas turns around and leaves the base. He goes outside and tries to figure out whether he can get a clear shot from where he is (outside the base). If so, he digs in and charges his particle cannon. If not, he tries to think of the best way to get into a good firing position.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14367 on: June 05, 2013, 12:32:16 pm »

"I propose we start investing in forcefields. It usually works in computer games."

Get that scanner check done. What is happening, why is it happening, and how soon and how far do we need to move.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14368 on: June 05, 2013, 12:49:38 pm »

((Yeah, I would have changed my action (and I guess the others too) if I had seen this was happening. But, anyway, nothing I can do about it now, so no sense complaining.))

In the darkness of the dimmed helmet only the afterimage of the Colossus' beam was visible, the flash of bright light embedded in Flint's retina. "Ow, my eyes, my freaking eyes, that fucking thing blinded me. I told you we should have demolished it the moment we saw it! I-" Flint's panicking was cut short when the visor undimmed and he noticed that he could still see, although his vision still pulsed with a multicolor spot in the place he had seen the beam erupt from the colossus. "Negative, scratch that, visor just dimmed. That thing has grown some kind of energy weapon out of itself and it's pointing it dangerously close to the base. Are you still getting my stream from my helmetcam? Should I engage?"

Watch the crystal.

If I see it charging for another shot aiming towards my direction, get out of the way, use jump rockets if necessary.

If I see it charging for another shot and it's aiming towards the base (ie, counter clockwise from where it was aiming) shoot its energy projector with the laser with the aim of disabling it or at least distracting it. Try to hit the spinning things.
((Everybody (especialy actors) knows spinning things are important.)) Shout appropriate distraction words in an action movie hero fashion while doing so: "Hey, I'm over here you big stupid crystal thing."
If that doesn't work, use my jump rockets to gain as much speed as possible and as much altitude as necessary and try to either slash at its weapon with the monorazor or outright ram it if I can't slash it with the hope that it will lose its aim and miss.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 05:56:30 pm by Parisbre56 »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14369 on: June 05, 2013, 12:59:50 pm »

((No, it absolutely makes sense to complain. If not for now, then for later.

Remember Piecewise asking us if everything was alright with the game? Well, this is my biggest complaint so far, when someone is missed and ends up missing an action at a critical moment. There's really no point in having a guy on the lookout if his action is skipped.

Right after that, is when in the above-mentioned critical situation a clarification action gets grouped with the action action. They should come before so people have a chance to not have to skip a turn or make silly choice trees.))

Pages: 1 ... 956 957 [958] 959 960 ... 1256