Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3937802 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: What?
« Reply #14235 on: May 31, 2013, 03:46:05 pm »

"Wait, you said it absorbs energy? What if it absorbs the kinetic energy of the gauss rounds? Oh fuck. I HATE THIS FUCKING PLANET! FUCKING XENOMORPHIC BULLSHIT!"

Keep an eye on that fucking crystal.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14236 on: May 31, 2013, 04:41:04 pm »

"Right... standing by."
Refuel the shuttle, then head to Flint's location once everyone's on the shuttle.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14237 on: May 31, 2013, 09:24:36 pm »

((Something in the back of my mind is telling me this whole planetoid is some kind of alien factory or something like that. Something about the molten iron sea, the massive radioactive field with something that could generate massive amounts of power producing it, and a few other things.

Also, PW: How big/thick were the plates I tested with? I remember asking, but I don't think I got an answer.))

Aren't you glad it's in a grenade shell, then? You should remember what I did in that colony with one of them, so three should certainly make an impression. And if needs be, I can cannibalize the shrapnels to make more high-EX, so up to five, and a horrific chemical grenade to boot. You want that thing down and can't stop it yourself, I should be able to do something to it. Mind if I hitch a ride there?

Get on the shuttle, keep the rifle I took for testing and the clip with one shell used. Load High-EX in the grenade launcher.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:00:09 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14238 on: June 01, 2013, 01:22:15 am »

"I'm assuming that it's really high voltage, so I don't think insulating our suits will work. Especially since what our suits are made of conducts electricity REALLY well and straight into our bodies to boot. We'll need to come up with a way to divert the electricity instead.

So, until someone can think up a way to divert massive electrical arcs coming from the ground, back into said ground, I'll be prepping for a scavenging run to that crash site."

Check all our vehicles. Which ones would be best suited for carrying large amounts of loot/scrap and if they don't have the room, which ones would best pull a trailer full of it?

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14239 on: June 01, 2013, 10:08:32 am »

Lukas action in case Prosperus is gone already: Join strike Team Stupid, take any weapons that he might've stored with him.[/b]

((I'm back, but the action stands  :) ))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14240 on: June 01, 2013, 04:57:50 pm »

"Be on standby. It looks like the thing has charged up. I'll update you if it moves. I recommend staying away from the thing for now. If anything is going to happen, it's going to happen now."

Can I see anything else that's changed with the thing besides conductivity and color? If I can shoot it from here, try once again to cut a small piece off of it. Then stay in cover and continue updating the teams on anything that happens with the crystal thing.

((@Zako: Can't you use the wires we have to make some sort of grounding rod, a path of least resistance? And then insulate the suits with some plastic or insulating foam? Or is the voltage too high?))

Nothing seems to have changed besides those things. And yeah, you can shoot at it from here, but you sure you want to? It's not like you could get to the piece from here. Least not without going through the electric fields. But if you want to do that then yeah, you could make a good shot from here.

Go whatch the cameras/sensors.
Well, the cameras and sensors don't say anything interesting,really. Well...there are readings of slightly raised electromagnetic radiation out toward the crystal thing, but it's sitting in a goddamn electric hellzone so thats not really that weird.

FOLLOW
Gonna let may start writing these messages. I'm expecting the insertion of unexpected things into expected orifices.

"Blessed are those who run heedlessly into danger with no thought for their own lives or for the lives of those within the blast radius."
((THE OMINOUS FORESHADOWING CONTINUES   :P  ))

Bishop steps back and admires his work on the wall. It looked much better now and it would hold better too.

It suddenly occurred to him that he had nothing to do for the moment. Perhaps Miyamoto needed something done?

"Bishop to Miya, I've got nothing to do here. Do you need something technical done, cause I'm sitting on my ass with nothing to do right now."

'Nothing that I can think of right now. Weren't you planning on building some cages to explore the electrozone though?'

((You could try adding a brush to the underside of the cages, so that they are still movable while also giving protection. Or a wire like Paris said, not sure what would work best, though a wire is less work obviously.))

'Okay then guys, I think we should leave once you're all ready. Mesk, remember to take us around the crystalthing, the border between 6 and 15 seems ideal. Or just go to where Flint is right now, that'll be easiest.

Simus, in case we fail to stop that walking crystal, try to have something prepared to use your explosives with, 'cause I'm guessing you won't want to just lob them at it. '

Once Strike Team Stupid is ready, go with the shuttle. Pray that this won't end in tears and misery. Also take gauss rifle with me from the armory. Oh, and deposit the bug we catched in the lab.

Lukas action in case Prosperus is gone already: Join strike Team Stupid, take any weapons that he might've stored with him.

You and the other robo-man, fully loaded with his massive weapons, board the shuttle. Or at least you stand next to it and get ready to hold on.

"Bishop to Miya, I've got nothing to do here. Do you need something technical done, cause I'm sitting on my ass with nothing to do right now."
"Be on standby. It looks like the thing has charged up. I'll update you if it moves. I recommend staying away from the thing for now. If anything is going to happen, it's going to happen now."
((If that doesn't look like Flint behaving like he's in charge, I don't know what is. Not reproaching you, but trying to make you aware. Responding to a question clearly issued to a higher standing officer in the form of a command.

To response: Yeah, didn't know that. Your post was immediately following Bishop's, and didn't address that it was to Miyamoto. That he say he was talking to Miyamoto only meant you had responded when you shouldn't have. No probs with your suggestion later, I was just thinking you were talking to him both IC and OOC. So yeah, sue me. Misunderstood you once again.

Response to a response to a response: Not always. Vich has given up on this, and no longer cares about what happens. Not only does he not want to engage in another tit-for-tat war with you, and doesn't want to give the impression he's playing mind games, he's also been excluded from the mission, so his level of caring about it has dropped to about zero. If you ask him directly, he will answer, but otherwise he not be participating. But if you noticed, I am trying to keep it mostly IC, it just doesn't always fit with my character.))

Take of my glasses for a moment, and check how my eyes are without them. No, I have not forgotten about the glasses.

Then go to the barracks, lay on my bunk, and begin learning how to play a flute.

Your eyes seem pretty good, a little bit blurry at long distances and when you're trying to read something, but otherwise perfect.

Hmm now I remember you brought a flute right? The question is: What the hell roll do you use to play a fucking flute? Dex? Well...you gotta have coordination to use it...Intelligence? Yeah, knowing how to use it helps. Endurance? You do have to be able to blow for long periods without passing out.

Shit man, I could be having you roll pretty much everything minus str. And I could probably find a way to sneak that in, just to mess with you.

"Wait, you said it absorbs energy? What if it absorbs the kinetic energy of the gauss rounds? Oh fuck. I HATE THIS FUCKING PLANET! FUCKING XENOMORPHIC BULLSHIT!"

Keep an eye on that fucking crystal.
Is it...is it glowing? It looks like it might be glowing a little bit. Or there's light radiating from somewhere inside it. Oh dear.

"Right... standing by."
Refuel the shuttle, then head to Flint's location once everyone's on the shuttle.
Shuttle fueled and ready and I think everyone is ready. However, what sort of course do you want to take to get to Flint?  Basically, do you want to fly straight to him, crossing near the crystal and the electric fields, or do you want to fly around in a big sorta curve and avoid all that crap?

((Something in the back of my mind is telling me this whole planetoid is some kind of alien factory or something like that. Something about the molten iron sea, the massive radioactive field with something that could generate massive amounts of power producing it, and a few other things.

Also, PW: How big/thick were the plates I tested with? I remember asking, but I don't think I got an answer.))

Aren't you glad it's in a grenade shell, then? You should remember what I did in that colony with one of them, so three should certainly make an impression. And if needs be, I can cannibalize the shrapnels to make more high-EX, so up to five, and a horrific chemical grenade to boot. You want that thing down and can't stop it yourself, I should be able to do something to it. Mind if I hitch a ride there?

Get on the shuttle, keep the rifle I took for testing and the clip with one shell used. Load High-EX in the grenade launcher.
Bout a foot thick.

You lock and load and get to the choppa.

"I'm assuming that it's really high voltage, so I don't think insulating our suits will work. Especially since what our suits are made of conducts electricity REALLY well and straight into our bodies to boot. We'll need to come up with a way to divert the electricity instead.

So, until someone can think up a way to divert massive electrical arcs coming from the ground, back into said ground, I'll be prepping for a scavenging run to that crash site."

Check all our vehicles. Which ones would be best suited for carrying large amounts of loot/scrap and if they don't have the room, which ones would best pull a trailer full of it?

The mini shuttles are probably the most powerful out of the vehicles, though you might need to re-purpose the trailer as a cargo pallet to be held under the shuttle, if you're gonna use it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14241 on: June 01, 2013, 05:16:00 pm »

"Oh crap. I was right. I hate it when I'm right." muttered Flint to himself as he watched the crystal tower change and glow.

@Miyamoto and strike team stupid: "Moment of choice gentlemen. In a few hours this thing will probably become another zone 6. If we're going to hit it we should do it now. Otherwise, tell me so that I can get the hell out of here."

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14242 on: June 01, 2013, 06:18:52 pm »

Take the fastest anomaly-avoiding route possible.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14243 on: June 01, 2013, 06:27:35 pm »

((... Foot thick?! Jeeze, that's way too nuts for it to be of any use. I was thinking it might have been an inch or two, not a foot. That's only .833 seconds of laser fire per inch of plate.

Then again, really good weapons-grade UV lasers vs. an organic-produced heat shell.))

Await arrival.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2013, 06:31:01 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14244 on: June 01, 2013, 07:02:39 pm »

"Guys, it's starting to glow, I'd get the hell away from that thing. Glowing is bad."

Continue watching.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14245 on: June 01, 2013, 10:38:12 pm »

"I fully agree on that point, glowing is bad in my experience."

What about the ground vehicles? How well could I modify the trailer to carry large amounts of stuff?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14246 on: June 01, 2013, 10:42:10 pm »

((I think I remember an aux roll for something similar to playing a flute before.

What did May roll against for playing Thomas's flute?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14247 on: June 02, 2013, 03:22:06 am »

Go for it. As long as you don't have me sprain my wrist everytime I roll a 1 on Dex, or pass out when I get a 1 on End, I'm cool. Because that would mean about a 40% (?) of injury, which is more than a but ridiculous.

The important thing to remember about playing something like that, is that it might be very difficult with a lot of rolls, but it's consistent. So I shouldn't fluctuate between virtuoso and horrible, more like keeping myself at some baseline and slowly improving. But then it's not a game system built for that, so whatever.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14248 on: June 02, 2013, 12:19:31 pm »

"Guys, it's starting to glow, I'd get the hell away from that thing. Glowing is bad."

"I fully agree on that point, glowing is bad in my experience."

'Thanks for the concern, but remember when zone 6 started lobbing radioactive boulders at us? Well we're trying to ensure that won't happen again. Besides, most of us are are armored robots, so we can take a hit. I hope.'

Upon landing, join Flint in his impromptu foxhole. Observe the crystalthing in detail (use cameyes as well); how big is it, does it have any weak spots, etc. Try to determine if manipulator usage at this distance is viable/safe.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 12:22:16 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14249 on: June 02, 2013, 12:36:23 pm »

Try to make my hole a bit deeper and wider so that it can hopefully hide me and the others better if bad things start happening. Keep watching the thing, both with the drone and my own eyes. Keep watching the atmospheric and radiation sensors. Fire a tiny pulse (less then a second if possible) from cover and see if it has an effect on that thing. If it can cut it without causing strange things, try to cut a small piece of it off. ((Actually, now that I think about it, firing a laser might cause it to activate faster, like lighting a match. It's much safer to shoot it with a gauss rifle.)) Once Miyamoto gives me that gauss rifle, fire a round at that thing, if I think it will get there. (There's no atmosphere here, right?) Watch for what effect it has on the creature, where the piece falls if it falls and any reaction of the crystalthing after it's been shot (electrical discharge, change of colour, etc...)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 03:20:32 pm by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 948 949 [950] 951 952 ... 1256