Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3938566 times)

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: What?
« Reply #14175 on: May 28, 2013, 02:40:10 pm »

Quote from: Jack Hansan to Vich
Well, Simus doesn't seem to care as long as it doesn't interfere with her work. Still have a bad feeling about this. Why are they the only cameras inside.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14176 on: May 28, 2013, 03:48:03 pm »

((May I just say that you're missing a very obvious and non harmful explanation for the cameras? And that there is a way to ask Alvin about them without revealing anything?

And also, why are you even interested in those cameras?))

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14177 on: May 28, 2013, 03:50:50 pm »

((Vich asked jack to look for any hidden cameras. Vich and Jack also don't trust Alvin.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14178 on: May 28, 2013, 04:38:33 pm »

Figure out why there are cameras in the walls. Then ask miyamoto for permission to tear the cameras out after explaining what's going on.

Read last post.
You're guessing they're there to monitor something. Can't say what though.

Figure out why there are cameras in the walls.
((So the AI can watch us for typical HMRC insubordination of course. Why else?))

Take a good rest and have something to eat and drink. Then once I'm done with that, go merge all the map data together and then head to the garage to check out if we have the stuff that I could use to make electrical safety cages for us to carry.

Like the ones back on the quiet world?  Yeah, you could do that. However some of the electric discharge is coming up from the ground so if you walk over top of it with the bottomless cage it might just use your leg rather then the cage.

(Anton fixes up the boxes. However, still need to know what those nets are made of and how they're designed. I assume you want them to be weighted on the ends.  As per that gun, there are a surprising lack of compressed air tanks for you to make use of. The only tanks seem to be those for use by the welding and cutting torches.)

((Yeah, weighted on the end would be handy. About the material, kinda depends on what we have on hand in the base. Do we have rope? Steel wire rope? Or something made of a sort of synthetic fibers? Since it doesn't need to be a 'fine' net (the meshes) or anything, any of these should do.
And I guess we'll have to make due without a launcher, would hate cannibalizing a gauss rifle for it.))

Anton action: make 3 nets, if there are multiple usable materials use that which is most abundant, yet still decently strong to catch wildlife with it.

Then, hook up trailer to MPV and load said trailer with the boxes 'n nets. Take some spare rope/cable too, and some big sample containers from the lab. Also load some food and water, something for the full robots too.

((Unless anyone can think of anything else that would be handy to take with the trailer, or if anyone needs Anton for anything, speak up now, 'cause I'll let him depart next turn. Unless Sean takes control again, of course.))

'Lukas, while you're holding onto this, could you perhaps use those little drones of you to scout around a bit, and see if you can find some sort of nest or something? They have to breed somewhere.

Hey, rest of red team, you guys found anything yet? Captured anything?

Miyamoto action: use modified drone to look around, go up high and look for predatory creatures, or something that looks like a nest or something. Also take a reading of the atmosphere up high, if the drone can do that.

Also look how the beetle is behaving.

Anton gets everything built and loaded.

As per you, you get your drone up about, say, 2/3rds up one of the towers before one of those strange rods with arms swings by, catches it and carries it away after smashing it against one of the towers.

"Huh. Found one."

Lukas Red Team

'Lukas, while you're holding onto this, could you perhaps use those little drones of you to scout around a bit, and see if you can find some sort of nest or something? They have to breed somewhere.

"I'm not sure if that is possible for me to do. Basically these drones act on their own initiative and, as I understand from the doc's explanation, they simply attack anything that poses a threat to me. I can always try, but as soon as I activate them you and the others have to make sure that you don't actually harm me. I'm not sure whether I can stop them if they attack you."

Try to find out if there is a way to use the laser drones for exploration (do not activate them yet).

Inspect beetle, but be extra careful not to let go of it.
The Drones don't seem like they're very good for exploration, since they don't record things and seem rather independent.

The beetle is is about a foot long and vaguely scarab like, but it lacks normal mandibles. Rather it seems to have  strange sort of grinder like mouth on it's underbelly.

Can we assume that I stayed behind? There are a few things left I want to try.

"Hey, don't you ignore me when I'm lasering you!" said Flint as he threw a rock at the creature.
Assuming I stayed behind:
Throw a rock at the creature with all my strength and see what happens (does it pass through it, bounce back, stops immediately, is eaten, etc). Put the rock in a sample container (without touching it if possible) regardless of the result.
If I've gotten a good chunk of the creature from the previous test, simply follow it from a safe distance and ignore the sampling attempts below.
If nothing in the previous test has shown me this won't work, tie a sample container at the end of my pole and try to sample the creature.
If the above doesn't work and nothing in the previous tests has shown me this won't work, tie a rock at the end of my pole and use it like an improvised sledgehammer to take a piece of the creature.
If the above doesn't work and nothing in the previous tests has shown me this won't work, tie the monorazor at the end of the pole and try to slice a sample of the creature.
Follow the creature from a safe distance.

((Too bad I didn't bring a gauss rifle with me...))

If I returned to base:
Resupply, leave my samples in the lab, try to get everyone else who has taken samples and is in the base to leave them at the lab, requesting update on what samples are in the lab, take a lot of rope, poles and sheets of metal with me go with Vich in the shuttle.

"Driver, follow that colossal crystalline walking tower!"

The Crystalline creature enters the electric fields, making following it from up close pretty much impossible. Though that may be for the best considering that as soon as it enters the electric fields it starts absorbing electricity at a rather alarming rate; huge streams of current leaping from the ground into the creature's body. The crystal begins fading from white to a deepish blue.

[color=00cc00]"I.. have made a terrible mistake. I'll just lie here for a while."[/color]

Lie on roof, looking for anything out of the usual batshit insanity.

Hmm...well you think you can see the crystal a bit more...it's covered in electricity. Oh good. Sure thats not gonna end horribly. You wiggle yourself to the edge and watch as anton drives the little MPV out of the garage.

((Thanks. Will call you that.))

Coming into the base, Vich was pondering over to do now. The giant creature he awakened was a promising new development, and just got leave to explore it on his own. Might also be a possibility to advance in the ranks, come to look at it. Unless he screws it up, of course. Not screwing things up was more important considering he was planning to take a shuttle with him. But first, to check on an already underway project. Cameras.

He quickly walked over to where Jack was working on dismantling the infrared cameras sitting in the walls.
"Good work. I knew our overseers weren't stupid. Infrared cameras you say? Classic.
Now just to find those in the ceiling and the backup ones, and I think we're set to go.

But I were you, I'd wait before tearing them out. Because we'd better have an answer when Miyamoto asks why started tearing things out of the walls without even informing him. For now, let's figure out where those wires lead."

I'm assuming the cameras are attacked to the wires, right? Easily pluggable, or actually need to be torn out? Big or small?
Can I without doing technical work see where they lead?

"First of all, seeing where it ends up would let us know where this information is stored. At least I hope it will.
And it may let us know if Alvin receiving any of this. And it will also let us more easily take them out without damaging anything.

Then after you do that you should check the ceiling, while I try to get Miyamoto's permission to take the cameras out. I honestly hoped I wouldn't have to reveal that we're working together so early, but then talking to people is my job.
Huh, but if you were to talk to him I could give a couple tips. It would certainly allow us to keep our relationship a secret. Your choice."
((Sorry for covering so many things in that space. I think I'll put that conversation in quantum space so you have to reply and I am able to do other things.))

That done, Vich headed to find Mesk.
"Mesk Vraite? I'm Vich of blue team, if you don't know me already. We have awakened some gigantic monstrosity which is moving towards the electric fields, and I thinking of using an electrically insulated vehicle, like a mini-shuttle, to follow it. I have permission from Bishop for this endeavor. Well first of all, I came to inform you that I am planning to take a mini-shuttle out. But I am also wondering if we have any back-up pilots that could pilot us, since I don't know how to pilot a mini-shuttle." (After receiving the answer that we don't have a back-up pilot.) "Wait, we don't have a back-up pilot? That means if something happens to you... Would you be willing to... Or should I ask you to train somebody else to pilot one of these things?"

Refill my supplies and get into the mini-shuttle, waiting for Mesk to take us off.

The cameras are attached to wires; and not in the pluggy way. pretty small wires.

You can see where they lead a little bit, but following them for too long is gonna require removing panels and generally digging through the base structure.

You talk to mesk and then get in the shuttle.

((Hey guys, I'm on vacation and my ability to post here is somewhat spotty, so I'm not going to be as active as normal.

Also, Simus could be a good idea as a back-up pilot, if I recall, she doesn't have a bonus to AUX, but she also doesn't have a penalty. Just saying, in case we need one, I'm willing.)

Log all the data from the dissection and "food" and "waste" experiments, noting in the "food" log that it may be thermophilic bacteria embedded in the rock that they're eating. Then, get out a plate of the outer shell, note how thick it is, take it outside, and fire a 10-second laser pulse from my modified laser rifle at it.
You log the data and test out the laser. It manages to cut through the shell, but it takes almost the entire 10 seconds. The density of the shell combined with it's heat resistance seems to make it quite good at surviving laser fire.

Quote from: To Vich
Sure. Just let me refill my supplies.

Refill my supplies, then head over to Vich
You refill your supplies and then wander over to vich, who is sitting in the shuttle.

(very well)

Load up the shuttle and follow the colossal crystalline walking tower!

You load into the shuttle and start take off preparations.

Basically I'm giving you a turn to think of you still want to go there since things have changed and it's not in the nice safe dry lake bed anymore.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14179 on: May 28, 2013, 04:41:22 pm »

Search the floor and ceiling for cameras.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14180 on: May 28, 2013, 04:49:58 pm »

"Uhh... It's not good. It's not looking good. That thing is charging up and changing colour. I'm going to take cover in a position from which I can safely observe it and begin streaming video to you. Any of the science people got any ideas? Damn it, I wish I had taken that sample..."

Find somewhere I could take cover (a large rock or depression or something) and take cover behind it. Begin streaming video of the creature back to base. Wonder whether or not my exosuit is electrically insulated. Start monitoring my radiation readings.

EDIT: And give permission as quartermaster to Simus to take a gauss rifle, just in case ALVIN needs someone to tell him about it to unlock the door to the Armory.

@Everyone and Miyamoto:"Absorbed electricity, absorbed my laser... Damn it, I wish I had taken a sample. Hey, any of you got any high powered ballistic weapons? I'd reaaaly like to take a piece of that thing. It could be the most important find of the mission. Imagine armor made out of that material... Red Leader, permission to have Lukas fire high velocity rounds toward that thing? I'm also going to need Mesk and his bucket if you give me authorization."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 07:52:41 am by Parisbre56 »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14181 on: May 28, 2013, 04:51:55 pm »

"Ah shit."

Continue observing the crystal thingy. Report any major changes that happen.

((Zako, I can give you a hint. What has fine metal mesh, and can be worn on the body?))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14182 on: May 28, 2013, 05:22:16 pm »

"Huh. Well, now I'll need to think of something else... Might as well check how everything is holding up around base in the meantime."

Check around the base for how everything is holding up and what repairs are needed and make a list. Have Alvin help me.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14183 on: May 28, 2013, 05:43:42 pm »

Define power, Flint. Lukas has got his stuff, I've got explosives and a chemical. And Miyamoto, permission to use 1 of the Gauss shells from the armory in testing?

If permission is given, get a Gauss rifle and 1 shell and test on a slab of shell the same thickness as the 10-second laser resistant one.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14184 on: May 28, 2013, 05:55:56 pm »

Define power, Flint. Lukas has got his stuff, I've got explosives and a chemical. And Miyamoto, permission to use 1 of the Gauss shells from the armory in testing?
"I need someone who can fly above the electric fields (with the aid of the shuttle in the case of Lukas) and fire something that could blast a piece off of a living crystalline tower that so far has absorbed all energy based attacks, like electricity and lasers. I was going to try to get a sample off of it with my monorazor but now I can't approach it since it's in the electric fields. My only hope is that a mass or explosive based attack will be able to provide me with a sample. Is that good enough of a definition for you? And if you're volunteering to use those high explosives, I'm not saying no."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14185 on: May 28, 2013, 06:52:00 pm »

Got it. Let me finish a bit of work back here and I might be able to do something for you, if it's not already taken care of by then.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 06:58:06 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14186 on: May 28, 2013, 08:30:23 pm »

Mesk opens a channel to whoever's currently monitoring the walking crystal's location.
"Hey, this is Mesk.  I'm about to take off in the shuttle to the walking crystal's location, I'm gonna need live reports on its coordinates and conditions of the zone it's in until I reach it."

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14187 on: May 28, 2013, 08:42:54 pm »

"I can see it from up here in my lovely little crows nest, but I can't help too much. I'll let you know if I see anything unusualler."
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14188 on: May 28, 2013, 09:22:40 pm »

@Mesk: "I've got my eyes and a drone watching it and streaming video back at you. Thing's sucking more electrical power then Vegas and turning blue. Oh, and if Miyamoto gives the order, do you think you could handle picking up Lukas and doing an attack run with the shuttle?"

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14189 on: May 28, 2013, 11:45:06 pm »

"Sure, if you mean strap him to the bottom and have him shoot at it.  What're the zone conditions over there?"
Standing by for Miyamoto's word.
"And what's a Vegas?"
Pages: 1 ... 944 945 [946] 947 948 ... 1256