Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3938805 times)

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: What?
« Reply #14145 on: May 26, 2013, 10:53:51 pm »

(nooooooooooooooooooo)

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14146 on: May 27, 2013, 03:12:16 am »

(nooooooooooooooooooo)
((Is that a sign that you prefer Mesk x Shuttle?
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #14147 on: May 27, 2013, 06:11:50 am »

(nooooooooooooooooooo)
((I'd prefer that just because I'd be able to call it a spaceship. :P))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14148 on: May 27, 2013, 07:07:26 am »

(nooooooooooooooooooo)
((I'd prefer that just because I'd be able to call it a spaceship. :P))
((Ahahahaha, I love it! So witty and yet it burns like acid. Nice.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14149 on: May 27, 2013, 09:26:42 am »

try again damn it!
[aux4+1]
They look like modified infared cameras. If you had to guess, they were modified to be able to see through the wall.

TEAM FOLLOW/STAND NEXT TO MORE

Such stamina. What a stud.

Flint Westwood - Blue squad

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you get away like that. Not before I sample you."
Flint Westwood has gone stark raving mad into a sampling frenzy!

Sample the ground. Sample the air, if any is left. Sample the black towers with my monorazor. Sample any tracks the creature has left on the ground. Move within firing distance to the thing, short range if I have to. Try to cut a small piece off of it with the laser. Try to aim for a piece that it wouldn't miss, like a small leg. If I miss, try again. If bad things happen, remember that I have those rocket pods for my escape.
You sample the ground, the stones and the creature's tracks, which are basically giant stab holes in the ground. Your attempts to sample the creature, however are less successful. You're pretty damn sure you're hitting the thing, but it's either completely uneffected by the laser or it's straight up absorbing it. Either way, unhelpful.

Try to catch a beetle by climbing higher, toss it to Lukas once caught.

You people at base might want to have Alvin help with the crystal thing coming towards you. That base is the only thing keeping us alive in this wasteland, we can't afford to lose it. And I'm worried that crystalcreature might walk all over it or something.

Anton action: Improve on the boxes, construct 3 strong nets of varying length. Also look around base and note what materials there are that could be used for a net-launcher.
(Anton fixes up the boxes. However, still need to know what those nets are made of and how they're designed. I assume you want them to be weighted on the ends.  As per that gun, there are a surprising lack of compressed air tanks for you to make use of. The only tanks seem to be those for use by the welding and cutting torches.)

[dex:4]
You manage to get hold of one of the beetles, or at least most of one. You accidentally remove a few legs in the process. You climb back down and hand the beetle off to lukas.

Blue Team

"Don't jinx us man. We're in enough shit as it is. Just hope it falls in and doesn't come out, and leave it at that. Now let's get samples and head back to base, cause I have a salvaging truck to prepare and we've done our zones for now."

Take samples if no one is already, from where the orange stuff used to be, making sure to take a sample of everything there. Then start heading home. Keep an eye on the crystal thing!
Well flint seems to have the sampling handled, so you just head toward home, dragging the rest of blue team with you. You don't exactly expect a warm welcome considering the "fun" you just unleashed.

"Greeeaaaaaaaaat. Thanks guys."

Gear up, and try and climb onto the roof to get a better view.

Climbing up onto the roof is a very slow process, even with the help of a ladder on the side of the base. One rung at a time, with plenty of time to rest and let the vertigo and spinning subside. Eventually you make it to the top and lay down, looking out toward the distance. You can't make the creature out; the distance and the interference from the zones in the way shield it from view.

((On that note, do we have any women here besides robo-Simus?  Things might get... awkward... soon.))
((Well, there's Zephyr, but I think she's a bit too young to get married. It's her first mission after all.

Oh, and I vote you marry Mesk to the shuttle. You know what they say, about pilots being in love with their craft.

By the way, does the shuttle have a name? Because I currently have it as "Mesk's  Bucket" in my notes but I think it deserves something more personal, like "Lucy" or "Comet" or "The flying circus party". Especially if you're gonna marry him to it her.))
"THUNDERTRON" is the unofficial callsign for all shuttles. For reasons known only to me and like 2 other people.

((I'm just assuming that Piecewise hasn't updated because Flint has just pulled something very stupid and he's waiting for the rest of the team.

Also, I believe the question isn't "Who should Mesk marry?" but "Who should be married to the fridge?". And the shuttle's name sounds just fine to me, even if it's not spectacular.))

"Are we really going to have the time to go back, make the cages, and then catch up with it again? It's walking slow, but maybe not that slow. Actually, do the mini-shuttles have electrical insulation? Maybe we can have one or two people in one follow the collosus. And that makes more sense than trying to follow a something that doesn't tire on foot."

Don't see the diamond.
    Stay very far away from Flint. Very far away. And be mindful of the fact that I don't have the rocket pods to escape. And if the creature decides to attack Flint, escape in a different direction from him (In order of preference: home, the crystal field, or to the south part of the lake.)
    However, if I don't have to run away, go home with Bishop. Oh, and collect the observing drone we left out. Shouldn't just leave stuff lying around.

PS: Does the mini-shuttle have electrical insulation? I believe it's an IC knowledge we would know.
PPS: Can my character (-1 aux) safely pilot a mini-shuttle, or does that require at least a neutral in aux?

You head back with bishop.

As per the shuttle: it's electrically insulated in the same way an airplane is; the electrical discharge is carried across the plane's conductive metal skin and continues on it's way.  As per flying it; questionable. Mesk had to work out how to fly it and practice for a while using aux rolls before he figured out how to do basic flight (ie not needing to roll in normal circumstances) so you'll have to do the same to a degree. Mesk could help teach you, which would improve your rolls, but you would still need to make several aux rolls before you became proficient.

"Well, I think Vich has a point. We should observe it. From a safe distance of course."

Help with taking samples. Follow Vich unless we decide not to follow the crystalthing.
You follow vich back to base.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14150 on: May 27, 2013, 09:50:03 am »

Figure out why there are cameras in the walls. Then ask miyamoto for permission to tear the cameras out after explaining what's going on.

Read last post.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:50:37 pm by Tavik Toth »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14151 on: May 27, 2013, 10:03:14 am »

Figure out why there are cameras in the walls.
((So the AI can watch us for typical HMRC insubordination of course. Why else?))

Take a good rest and have something to eat and drink. Then once I'm done with that, go merge all the map data together and then head to the garage to check out if we have the stuff that I could use to make electrical safety cages for us to carry.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14152 on: May 27, 2013, 10:31:53 am »

(Anton fixes up the boxes. However, still need to know what those nets are made of and how they're designed. I assume you want them to be weighted on the ends.  As per that gun, there are a surprising lack of compressed air tanks for you to make use of. The only tanks seem to be those for use by the welding and cutting torches.)

((Yeah, weighted on the end would be handy. About the material, kinda depends on what we have on hand in the base. Do we have rope? Steel wire rope? Or something made of a sort of synthetic fibers? Since it doesn't need to be a 'fine' net (the meshes) or anything, any of these should do.
And I guess we'll have to make due without a launcher, would hate cannibalizing a gauss rifle for it.))

Anton action: make 3 nets, if there are multiple usable materials use that which is most abundant, yet still decently strong to catch wildlife with it.

Then, hook up trailer to MPV and load said trailer with the boxes 'n nets. Take some spare rope/cable too, and some big sample containers from the lab. Also load some food and water, something for the full robots too.

((Unless anyone can think of anything else that would be handy to take with the trailer, or if anyone needs Anton for anything, speak up now, 'cause I'll let him depart next turn. Unless Sean takes control again, of course.))

'Lukas, while you're holding onto this, could you perhaps use those little drones of you to scout around a bit, and see if you can find some sort of nest or something? They have to breed somewhere.

Hey, rest of red team, you guys found anything yet? Captured anything?

Miyamoto action: use modified drone to look around, go up high and look for predatory creatures, or something that looks like a nest or something. Also take a reading of the atmosphere up high, if the drone can do that.

Also look how the beetle is behaving.

« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 01:45:34 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14153 on: May 27, 2013, 10:55:50 am »

Lukas Red Team

'Lukas, while you're holding onto this, could you perhaps use those little drones of you to scout around a bit, and see if you can find some sort of nest or something? They have to breed somewhere.

"I'm not sure if that is possible for me to do. Basically these drones act on their own initiative and, as I understand from the doc's explanation, they simply attack anything that poses a threat to me. I can always try, but as soon as I activate them you and the others have to make sure that you don't actually harm me. I'm not sure whether I can stop them if they attack you."

Try to find out if there is a way to use the laser drones for exploration (do not activate them yet).

Inspect beetle, but be extra careful not to let go of it.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14154 on: May 27, 2013, 11:09:21 am »

Can we assume that I stayed behind? There are a few things left I want to try.

"Hey, don't you ignore me when I'm lasering you!" said Flint as he threw a rock at the creature.
Assuming I stayed behind:
Throw a rock at the creature with all my strength and see what happens (does it pass through it, bounce back, stops immediately, is eaten, etc). Put the rock in a sample container (without touching it if possible) regardless of the result.
If I've gotten a good chunk of the creature from the previous test, simply follow it from a safe distance and ignore the sampling attempts below.
If nothing in the previous test has shown me this won't work, tie a sample container at the end of my pole and try to sample the creature.
If the above doesn't work and nothing in the previous tests has shown me this won't work, tie a rock at the end of my pole and use it like an improvised sledgehammer to take a piece of the creature.
If the above doesn't work and nothing in the previous tests has shown me this won't work, tie the monorazor at the end of the pole and try to slice a sample of the creature.
Follow the creature from a safe distance.

((Too bad I didn't bring a gauss rifle with me...))

If I returned to base:
Resupply, leave my samples in the lab, try to get everyone else who has taken samples and is in the base to leave them at the lab, requesting update on what samples are in the lab, take a lot of rope, poles and sheets of metal with me go with Vich in the shuttle.

"Driver, follow that colossal crystalline walking tower!"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 01:04:53 pm by Parisbre56 »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14155 on: May 27, 2013, 02:23:10 pm »

((Actually Parisbre, do you have a list of people who are in the base right now? Because the teams have kind of fallen apart, and you probably have a better idea about that then I do.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14156 on: May 27, 2013, 02:33:39 pm »

((Actually Parisbre, do you have a list of people who are in the base right now? Because the teams have kind of fallen apart, and you probably have a better idea about that then I do.))
((In or on top of Canary Base: Green + Blue - Paris + Gold. Sean Mirrsen is leaving next turn.
In sector 18: Red - Sean Mirrsen
Following the Colossus: Paris

And call me Paris or Parisbre56, please. I dunno why but Parisbre sounds weird to me.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, for a team that is supposed to be mapping we have an awful lot of people sitting at the base. Yes, I know most of them are forced to be there, but still. Also, red team has an awful lot of people too.
))
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 03:14:55 pm by Parisbre56 »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14157 on: May 27, 2013, 03:37:50 pm »

[color=00cc00]"I.. have made a terrible mistake. I'll just lie here for a while."[/color]

Lie on roof, looking for anything out of the usual batshit insanity.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14158 on: May 27, 2013, 03:44:12 pm »

((Thanks. Will call you that.))

Coming into the base, Vich was pondering over to do now. The giant creature he awakened was a promising new development, and just got leave to explore it on his own. Might also be a possibility to advance in the ranks, come to look at it. Unless he screws it up, of course. Not screwing things up was more important considering he was planning to take a shuttle with him. But first, to check on an already underway project. Cameras.

He quickly walked over to where Jack was working on dismantling the infrared cameras sitting in the walls.
"Good work. I knew our overseers weren't stupid. Infrared cameras you say? Classic.
Now just to find those in the ceiling and the backup ones, and I think we're set to go.

But I were you, I'd wait before tearing them out. Because we'd better have an answer when Miyamoto asks why started tearing things out of the walls without even informing him. For now, let's figure out where those wires lead."

I'm assuming the cameras are attacked to the wires, right? Easily pluggable, or actually need to be torn out? Big or small?
Can I without doing technical work see where they lead?

"First of all, seeing where it ends up would let us know where this information is stored. At least I hope it will.
And it may let us know if Alvin receiving any of this. And it will also let us more easily take them out without damaging anything.

Then after you do that you should check the ceiling, while I try to get Miyamoto's permission to take the cameras out. I honestly hoped I wouldn't have to reveal that we're working together so early, but then talking to people is my job.
Huh, but if you were to talk to him I could give a couple tips. It would certainly allow us to keep our relationship a secret. Your choice."
((Sorry for covering so many things in that space. I think I'll put that conversation in quantum space so you have to reply and I am able to do other things.))

That done, Vich headed to find Mesk.
"Mesk Vraite? I'm Vich of blue team, if you don't know me already. We have awakened some gigantic monstrosity which is moving towards the electric fields, and I thinking of using an electrically insulated vehicle, like a mini-shuttle, to follow it. I have permission from Bishop for this endeavor. Well first of all, I came to inform you that I am planning to take a mini-shuttle out. But I am also wondering if we have any back-up pilots that could pilot us, since I don't know how to pilot a mini-shuttle." (After receiving the answer that we don't have a back-up pilot.) "Wait, we don't have a back-up pilot? That means if something happens to you... Would you be willing to... Or should I ask you to train somebody else to pilot one of these things?"

Refill my supplies and get into the mini-shuttle, waiting for Mesk to take us off.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2013, 07:36:52 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #14159 on: May 27, 2013, 04:40:57 pm »

"Oh... er, hi, Vich.  Have I operated on you before?  Never mind.  So you need a pilot... and I'm the only pilot here, apparently.  I guess I could give you a crash course on piloting if you want, or I could just go myself.  Up to you."
Pages: 1 ... 942 943 [944] 945 946 ... 1256