Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3940087 times)

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: What?
« Reply #14100 on: May 23, 2013, 08:26:41 pm »

Ponder the possibility of buying information back on-ship. Continue healing.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14101 on: May 24, 2013, 06:05:24 am »

Follow some more
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14102 on: May 24, 2013, 05:08:15 pm »

Wake up.  See how I feel.  Gather team and sing them inspirational songs of healing.
Your hearing is partially back, but you still feel drunk. You drag yourself off in search of teammates but the only one you can find is morul. You both spend the next several hours singing very loudly and very badly.

Go for it. Then close them again after searching.
You go grab a cutting torch and start opening panels.
[handi:6-2]
You manage to get most of them open without problems, though you damage a few of the panels. You find a few sensors that look like cameras, though not ordinary ones. You're not really sure what they are without further examination.

"Hmm... probably better to leave this to the professionals."
Divide the organs and place each into a specimen jar with preservative fluid.  Take samples of the shell, flesh, fluid, and anything else that may be of interest to the scientists on Paracelsus' Sword as well.  Place the jars into cold storage.
You package and store away the samples for use by someone with better tools and luck then you.

If it is a carbon-containing compound (though not ones that are already oxidised, eg. carbon dioxide).
Ah. In that case the test is positive on the "food" end and negative on the "waste" end.

(The following comment takes place right after the glass began to retract): "Put a drone to record and run? We shouldn't miss out on footage."
After that I begin jogging away from the lake, activating my exaggerated movements and switching to running with exaggerated movements mode if the rest of the team follows. I look back from time to time to have the footage of the event in case if no drone gets left back, and no one stays to record.

Oooooh shit team

"FUCKING RUN! THAT THING MIGHT EXPLODE!" Bishop yells over his shoulder as he books it away from the lake.

Run away and look for cover!

Lukas Red team

Lukas was dozing off but woke up when Miyamoto asked for his attention. "Of course! Let's go bug hunting."

Follow Miyamoto... and his instructions

((Oh dear, I think your plan will involve some dex roles, including from my side...Dex isn't Lukas' strong side.))
Sorry, Blue team is currently in "Shit mode" so you're not closing 10 miles to join them in one turn.
How about in two turns?
"Running seems pretty good to me."

Run. Take Cover.
Team "We have made a mistake" runs north after Deploying a drone to keep an eye on the situation as they hoof it away. They make it back into the salt crystal area, near the fallen shuttle, and reconnect with Flint.

In the meantime, the crystal grows until it's easily several hundred meters all, sprouts a forest of twisted, rootlike legs and begins slowly walking away toward the east.

"Well," Bishop says, staring at the footage, "Thats certainly unexpected."

(He may have been spirited off to the land of pastel colored, deformed, sentient horse-like creatures.)

((Oh how I wish sometimes that I could launch an ICBM in there and be done with it.

So yeah, if anyone currently inside the base has no idea what to do, you could help by building that stuff.))

'Hey Lukas,I'm gonna try to collect some specimens, wanna help out?'

Head deeper into the forest, Try to find a tower thick enough to support my weight, but which also has one or several beetles on it. If there's one not more than 5-10 meters above ground, try to climb up, pry one of and toss it to Lukas. Also, check how the local wildlife responds to our presence, especially the more mobile animals.
Most of the wildlife seems to hang around at least a 100 meters up. The rare beetle thats lower scurries back up and away when you get near. They're not terribly fast, but still faster then you climbing in a mech. The good news, though, is that you find plenty of towers that look like they'll support your weight, even if you climb quite far up; the beetles might  not be out of your reach yet.

((Seeing as I seem to have a habit of disappearing, I hereby give RC the authority to take control of Anton whenever I'm slowing people down. The font is limegreen italic, and he does most of his thinking out loud. I'm currently literally lost as to what I was supposed to be doing. >_<))

((Thanks. I had thought of asking PW if I could post an action for you, but decided against it cause it felt wrong using characters that aren't my own without their consent/knowledge. That being said, I can't promise I won't horribly abuse your character for fun and profit.
Hopefully I can interpret and represent his complex and layered character truthfully. ))

Anton action: Start building the stuff Red team is waiting for. Start with 5 sturdy metal boxes of varying size, then try to make a strong net. Also see if it's possible to construct a net launcher that uses compressed gas.

'I LIKE PONIES! ESPECIALLY THE ANTROPOMORPHIC ONES! TIME TO BE PRODUCTIVE!

ROW ROW BUILD THE BAWKSES!

((Nailed it.))
[handi:2,3,5,2,5,+1 all]

First box is more of a parallelogram. Second one comes out alright. Third is a bit too big but otherwise great. Fourth is missing one side. fifth is a bit too small, but otherwise works fine.

As per a compressed gas net gun, thats gonna need a bit more planning to work.

hide from the religious nutbag
You hide from lar's half deaf sing-alongs.

Make sure I have my gauss rifle handy, and watch the skies.
You keep your eyes up for deadly alien bird poop. Nothing yet.

Ponder the possibility of buying information back on-ship. Continue healing.
That would probably depend on who you're asking. And what you're offering

Follow some more
Team status: Even More followed.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14103 on: May 24, 2013, 05:16:33 pm »

Examine cameras closer.

To everyone: "Hey, uh guys, I've found a bunch of hidden cameras that are not normal. I'm about to have a closer look at them."

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14104 on: May 24, 2013, 05:34:10 pm »

((Oh, we did deploy a drone. I redact my previous comment then. Also, wander what's in the cameras. Probably not something we should accidentally disable.))

"Should we send out a mini-shuttle some other rocket-propelled vehicle to follow it?
Also, what exactly is the plan going to be from now on Team Leader? New zone, or..."

How quickly does the monstrosity move? In big hexes.
What is left on the place of the lake?
And assuming it will be walking straight, where exactly will it end up?
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14105 on: May 24, 2013, 06:31:17 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad

"What the?!..." Am I actually seeing this or is this some sort of hallucination? wondered Flint as he stared at the walking monstrosity. I was beginning to think that after all the strange things I'd seen so far nothing could surprise me, but once again, I'm wrong. "How the hell did you do that? I leave you alone for a few hours..." half sighed half muttered Flint. "Did you at least get a sample?"

"Well, only one thing left to do now." he said with a shrug of acceptance as he began going after the thing, trying to remain in range of the drone and maybe get a bit closer to the creature.

As he began moving he got out his datapad on the inside of his suit and tried to keep his notes updated while talking to himself and debating ideas. "Ambush predator? Then why did it not attack the team? Pray running away? No reason to. And something running away like that for every little thing would cost too much energy to be viable. Perhaps it was hibernating? No, I need to stop thinking about this in terms of life I know. Damn it, I wish I had read some books about xenobiology. If this world has a purpose I can understand, then that would be the one of a museum: a collection of examples and interesting things. So what's interesting about this? A creature that masks itself as the environment? Something that looks dead but is actually alive? Or perhaps it is the opposite. Something that looks like it's alive but is actually dead. A chemical reaction immitating life, like a robot or..."

As he continued rambling on a thought creeped into his mind, threatening to stop his mental experiments and investigations, becoming his own version of the incompleteness theorem. Is it possible that the answers to these questions are beyond his understanding? Could an old fool like him, set in his ways, change his thoughts and prejudices enough to understand what's going on here? What if humanity as a whole was unable to change and understand? What if humanity couldn't even understand that it cannot understand?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2013, 06:48:55 pm by Parisbre56 »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14106 on: May 24, 2013, 07:29:47 pm »

((Deploy landspeeders to wrap tow cables around its legs.))

Faff about the base unless I think of something better to do as an incapacitated chaplain.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14107 on: May 24, 2013, 08:47:51 pm »

Did I see anything other than rock grains in the microscope?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14108 on: May 24, 2013, 10:43:09 pm »

In shock and awe team

Bishop was silent as he watched the footage before contacting base.

"Hey Base Team, we've apparently woken up a life form that was originally a sea of orange stuff, which then grew into a 700 meter tall crystal with legs. It's currently walking east. I suggest that you keep an eye out for it incase it decides it wants to head towards you guys. We're gonna follow it and see what direction it's heading in.

I think I'm getting too old for this shit by the way. Out."

Head back to where it came from and examine the ground that was under the orange stuff. How far and fast is the walking crystal?

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14109 on: May 25, 2013, 09:47:41 am »

Follow more team
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14110 on: May 25, 2013, 09:56:18 am »

Examine cameras closer.

To everyone: "Hey, uh guys, I've found a bunch of hidden cameras that are not normal. I'm about to have a closer look at them."
[aux:1+1]
Uhhhhhhhh hmmm.

((Oh, we did deploy a drone. I redact my previous comment then. Also, wander what's in the cameras. Probably not something we should accidentally disable.))

"Should we send out a mini-shuttle some other rocket-propelled vehicle to follow it?
Also, what exactly is the plan going to be from now on Team Leader? New zone, or..."

How quickly does the monstrosity move? In big hexes.
What is left on the place of the lake?
And assuming it will be walking straight, where exactly will it end up?

It's a little meta, but assume it moves one small hex every turn.
A dry lake bed.
Well, the camera is watching it head east, so it's currently on a heading for the arc gap canyons and electric fields.

"What the?!..." Am I actually seeing this or is this some sort of hallucination? wondered Flint as he stared at the walking monstrosity. I was beginning to think that after all the strange things I'd seen so far nothing could surprise me, but once again, I'm wrong. "How the hell did you do that? I leave you alone for a few hours..." half sighed half muttered Flint. "Did you at least get a sample?"

"Well, only one thing left to do now." he said with a shrug of acceptance as he began going after the thing, trying to remain in range of the drone and maybe get a bit closer to the creature.

As he began moving he got out his datapad on the inside of his suit and tried to keep his notes updated while talking to himself and debating ideas. "Ambush predator? Then why did it not attack the team? Pray running away? No reason to. And something running away like that for every little thing would cost too much energy to be viable. Perhaps it was hibernating? No, I need to stop thinking about this in terms of life I know. Damn it, I wish I had read some books about xenobiology. If this world has a purpose I can understand, then that would be the one of a museum: a collection of examples and interesting things. So what's interesting about this? A creature that masks itself as the environment? Something that looks dead but is actually alive? Or perhaps it is the opposite. Something that looks like it's alive but is actually dead. A chemical reaction immitating life, like a robot or..."

As he continued rambling on a thought creeped into his mind, threatening to stop his mental experiments and investigations, becoming his own version of the incompleteness theorem. Is it possible that the answers to these questions are beyond his understanding? Could an old fool like him, set in his ways, change his thoughts and prejudices enough to understand what's going on here? What if humanity as a whole was unable to change and understand? What if humanity couldn't even understand that it cannot understand?
You head back toward the dry lake and do your best to keep an eye on the giant crystal thing. It's not hard, it doesn't move very fast.

The crystalline creature is marked as a light blue diamond on the map. It's progress will be tracked as long as you have eyes or cameras on it.

((Deploy landspeeders to wrap tow cables around its legs.))

Faff about the base unless I think of something better to do as an incapacitated chaplain.

Hmm. Well, You're pretty sure you could marry someone or something to someone or something else against their will. It's been a while since the 9 hour priest correspondence course...and the whole course was in Arabic....Ah well, you're pretty sure you're right. Hmm...Question becomes: Who would be the most entertaining to marry to the fridge.

Did I see anything other than rock grains in the microscope?
In the case of the "Food" there seemed to be minor impurities in the stone; like knotholes in the grain. In terms of the "Waste" though, it bears little resemblance to the stone it once was. It looks as though it's gone through extreme processing of some nature, being broken down into a mush and then compressed back together into a solid. It more resembles a stone fruitcake then a natural stone.

In shock and awe team

Bishop was silent as he watched the footage before contacting base.

"Hey Base Team, we've apparently woken up a life form that was originally a sea of orange stuff, which then grew into a 700 meter tall crystal with legs. It's currently walking east. I suggest that you keep an eye out for it incase it decides it wants to head towards you guys. We're gonna follow it and see what direction it's heading in.

I think I'm getting too old for this shit by the way. Out."

Head back to where it came from and examine the ground that was under the orange stuff. How far and fast is the walking crystal?
Heh, Gotta love the nonchalance that HMRC service creates.
"Oh yeah, giant walking crystal thing. Might wanna keep an eye out."

You join Flint at the dry lake bed and watch as the crystal continues to slowly stride away on it's hundreds of legs. The lake bed it leaves behind is basically just a shallow depression in the stone. A few feet deep at best and strangely smooth and flat.

Follow more team
Oh god your team is so followed. You followed them so hard they're gonna have problems standing.

Map
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqzazdual91p7rh/overall%20map.png

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14111 on: May 25, 2013, 09:57:59 am »

try again damn it!

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14112 on: May 25, 2013, 10:03:23 am »

TEAM FOLLOW/STAND NEXT TO MORE

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14113 on: May 25, 2013, 10:22:27 am »

"I'm sorry, but I can't let you get away like that. Not before I sample you."
Flint Westwood has gone stark raving mad into a sampling frenzy!

Sample the ground. Sample the air, if any is left. Sample the black towers with my monorazor. Sample any tracks the creature has left on the ground. Move within firing distance to the thing, short range if I have to. Try to cut a small piece off of it with the laser. Try to aim for a piece that it wouldn't miss, like a small leg. If I miss, try again. If bad things happen, remember that I have those rocket pods for my escape.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2013, 11:26:07 am by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14114 on: May 25, 2013, 10:39:34 am »

Try to catch a beetle by climbing higher, toss it to Lukas once caught.

You people at base might want to have Alvin help with the crystal thing coming towards you. That base is the only thing keeping us alive in this wasteland, we can't afford to lose it. And I'm worried that crystalcreature might walk all over it or something.

Anton action: Improve on the boxes, construct 3 strong nets of varying length. Also look around base and note what materials there are that could be used for a net-launcher.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.
Pages: 1 ... 939 940 [941] 942 943 ... 1256