Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3939510 times)

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: What?
« Reply #14040 on: May 18, 2013, 08:47:02 pm »

attempt to identify the organs and their purpose of mesks beetle once it is dismantled.
Dont get in his way, just look at the parts he isnt actively examining.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14041 on: May 18, 2013, 08:48:47 pm »

What the hell is this shit? Team

Bishop takes a moment to reply to Miyamoto: "Watch out for the critters. I wouldn't trust any of them to not try anything, even if you are in a suit."

Release a drone to map this orange lake and look at that orange stuff closely, but try to keep a safe distance at all times. Is it doing anything?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14042 on: May 19, 2013, 07:14:43 am »

Bishop takes a moment to reply to Miyamoto: "Watch out for the critters. I wouldn't trust any of them to not try anything, even if you are in a suit."

'If they so much as look at me funny they can have a faceful of kinetic fist, and then some. But thanks for the heads up.

Oh, and your squad seems to be performing the best up till now, good job.'

@Miyamoto: "I've got some parts of the black towers, but that's pretty much it. I think someone on green team took some beetle exoskeletons, you should check with the lab, if they remembered to offload them. I've also got some experiments running there: one to check whether or not towers change size and another concerning what's making those carvings. See if they got any resulted if you have the time. And I think mesk and green team spotted some large creatures with predator behaviour there. Check with them if you want more info. And try not to look like a beetle. And the atmosphere is safe on the ground floor but might be flammable higher up. So your bbest bet is to have Mesk deliver you on top of the towers and then rappelling down, if you don't want your rockets to ignite the atmosphere."

'I'll check on your experiments, but tell me, did you actually cut of a piece of one of the towers? Did it come of easily? And if I do end up igniting half the asteroid... Well, at least we won't have to chase our spacebugs anymore.'

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14043 on: May 19, 2013, 07:24:41 am »

((Let's just assume that I followed Miyamoto and the rest of the red team. :) ))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14044 on: May 19, 2013, 07:44:26 am »

"I had to use my monorazor to cut it. A guy tried to use a machete to cut them but he only managed to scratch them. I'm relatively close to your position. If you want, send someone and I'll give the mono razor to them. It's a very useful tool. Just remember, using the monorazor is equal to setting something on fire, due to all the vibrations. And please don't ignite the atmosphere. I wouldn't want to have to start chasing you in space."

EDIT: ((Finally found some time to update my notes. Cherish it while it lasts. It looks like I'll be busy again until the end of the month or more.
We got 19% mapping done in about two in game months. Let's hope green team heals quickly so that we can keep this up. At this rate we'll have two in game months left to conduct experiments, assuming nothing bad happens. But something bad will definitely happen.))
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 01:34:48 pm by Parisbre56 »

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14045 on: May 19, 2013, 02:31:55 pm »

"I had to use my monorazor to cut it. A guy tried to use a machete to cut them but he only managed to scratch them. I'm relatively close to your position. If you want, send someone and I'll give the mono razor to them. It's a very useful tool. Just remember, using the monorazor is equal to setting something on fire, due to all the vibrations. And please don't ignite the atmosphere. I wouldn't want to have to start chasing you in space."

EDIT: ((Finally found some time to update my notes. Cherish it while it lasts. It looks like I'll be busy again until the end of the month or more.
We got 19% mapping done in about two in game months. Let's hope green team heals quickly so that we can keep this up. At this rate we'll have two in game months left to conduct experiments, assuming nothing bad happens. But something bad will definitely happen.))

'But if you already used the monorazor to cut it, doesn't that mean the atmosphere isn't very flammable? Or did you cut it at the edge?

And you're right, needing someone to bail me out after getting myself hopelesly stuck in space would be incredibly embarrasing.

Just kiddin' :3

((Hmm, delicious updates. Although I think zones like 6 can be counted as mapped, since their further exploration will be for the experimentation team.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14046 on: May 19, 2013, 02:51:05 pm »

"It's like gasoline in a tank. Stick a match in the gas itself and it won't light. Stick it in the fumes and you'll get a nice big boom. There might be enough oxygen higher up for ignition to occur, because methane is heavier then oxygen. Simus, back me up here. Is what I'm saying correct?"

((Yeah, I guess you're right. We might finish with the mapping much sooner. I'm just counting subhexes mapped.))
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:38:50 pm by Parisbre56 »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14047 on: May 19, 2013, 03:38:40 pm »

You'd probably be off the planetoid entirely before the concentration is low enough, methane will only ignite when it comprises 5-15% of the atmosphere, at standard temperature and pressure. With the fraction at your level as high as it is, as well as the high pressure, the conditions for ignition will be extreme at any level, so you should be fine. Besides, even if the atmosphere would support ignition at high altitudes, it would be limited to that region. You're not going to be able to set the entire area's atmosphere ablaze no matter how hard you try.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 03:49:27 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14048 on: May 19, 2013, 03:44:45 pm »

"Oh well. Guess that's why I'm not in the science team. Then again, this planetoid isn't supposed to have any atmosphere either, and yet that sector has. So just to be on the safe side, check your atmospheric sensors from time to time."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14049 on: May 20, 2013, 02:20:59 am »

You'd probably be off the planetoid entirely before the concentration is low enough, methane will only ignite when it comprises 5-15% of the atmosphere, at standard temperature and pressure. With the fraction at your level as high as it is, as well as the high pressure, the conditions for ignition will be extreme at any level, so you should be fine. Besides, even if the atmosphere would support ignition at high altitudes, it would be limited to that region. You're not going to be able to set the entire area's atmosphere ablaze no matter how hard you try.

"Oh well. Guess that's why I'm not in the science team. Then again, this planetoid isn't supposed to have any atmosphere either, and yet that sector has. So just to be on the safe side, check your atmospheric sensors from time to time."

'Sure will. Still, and don't take this wrong, but I'll have too see for myself what things look like in here before deciding for or against using my rocketpack. Not that I don't trust your info, but so far I've only gotten info second-hand. And again, if there is somehow something other than oxygen to complete the good ol' redox reaction, we'd still be screwed. And hell, for all we know this sector might be screwing with our suit sensors, giving us wrong readings. I wouldn't hold that above this piece of physics-defying dirt.

I do wonder, though, how the atmosphere is 'contained' to this region, instead of dissipating away. Maybe those towers have something to do with that.'

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14050 on: May 20, 2013, 08:14:09 am »

((Seems like I picked a good time to disappear. Huh. Also, with Flint leaving, now someone else needs to be be the guy poking at the alien stuff))

Team blue.

Check for atmosphere.
Are the rods the same ones as in the teleportation sector? How far away is the closest one?
Is the liquid active, and does it have any creatures active in it?
Throw rocks at in the lake. What is the viscosity of the liquid, and does it respond in any way?
If the lake is not active or alive, collect a sample of the liquid. Pour some of it on the frying pan. Does it react in any way?

Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14051 on: May 20, 2013, 01:11:02 pm »

examine all other weapons for anything special.
Oh yeah, there was that over charge mode that increased damage but also caused damage to the gun for the Gauss. Forgot that.

Well there's the laser rifle's dials, but thats about it. There's no secrets built into your gunpowder rifle or katana.

(( As for the gauss rifle - wasn't the overcharge mode a hidden feature? And the wind chime, of course! ))
Wind Chime? *searches back*

My lord, you remember a bad joke I said over a year ago?

Continue on healing.
"ACTIVATE HEALING MODE!"

You sit around grunting. Hey, you can hear that grunting. Sweet.

You head AAAAAAAAAAAAALL the way up north and straddle the weird-o-vision and Flat zones. Why? Who knows.

((Wait, are you joking here or wasn't I clear on what I'm trying to do? The idea is to find a safe route through the weirdvision hex, so that we can drive the trailer with all the materials through to the black tower forest where those animals live (because bughunt). I choose the border between hex 2 and 7 because it seemed  the safest. This is so that we won't need the shuttle to carry us over all the time, and so we can use the trailer as a mobile base of operations.

I'll admit, trekking all the way to the caves was unnecessary in hindsight, but at that time I wasn't sure what Red team would do yet, and besides, I can fly anyway, so f*ck walking.

So, if all went well, the 4 of us should be going for hex 18, the blacktower forest, where we will hunt the most dangerous sport of all: man vicious aliens.))

Once we arrive at the tower forest, scan environment with suit sensors and cameyes.

Comm channel to Blue team: 'Hey, is there anything we should know about this hex that you didn't mention before? What sort 'of samples have been taken here already?'

(you can just say "Go to the black towers via the area between those two zones" then. Because I think all you said was go to the area between those two zones, so I had no idea if you were going farther or you had business in those zones.)

Your various scanning modes reveal nothing terribly interesting. There are definitely heat producing lifeforms here, scattered around on the towers, leaping between them and scurrying on their sides. But you already knew about them. x-ray shows that the towers are quite dense and show up as solid white. Motion reveals that the towers are either not moving or moving so little that it's not detectable. Radiation scanning reveals radiations levels normal for an unshielded planetoid, and infrared reveals no anonymous sources of low frequency EMR.

Keep reading!  Also check on my hearing.
Your hearing doesn't seem to have returned, but your ears hurt a whole lot less, at least. However you're starting to feel very sick again. The combination of damaged inner ear and reading makes it seem like you're trying to read a newspaper while on a boat at sea. And the sea is on a tilt-a-whirl. You put the pad down and close your eyes. It helps, a little bit. Might wanna ask mesk for some anti-nausea medication. At least if you feel like reading more then a few pages without throwing up.

"It's just like that time I read 50 shades of gray!"

You throw up a little in your mouth.

"Or that time where they marketed the Great Gatsby movie with a fucking Fergie song! Yeah, lets use a bunch of party rock anthems to market the live action adaption of a book that was nothing if not bitingly critical of mindless indulgence and the casual sociopathy and hollow existences of the rich!"

You throw up a lot in your mouth.

"Hmmm... That still doesn't explain how we ended up with only half of a shuttle. What happened to the other half? Maybe some part of the object is left 'in between' locations during transit and that part disappears during SV events? And why was he flying into the domes? Doesn't he know that the first rule of fight club alien exploration is 'assume everything is trying to kill you'?"

If possible, have another drone fly over the top of the domes (or at least higher then the point the dome intersects with other domes) and have it enter the dome. See where it ends up. I'm trying to determine if dome intersection plays a role in the destination of the dome. Because for example the dome on my left could send the drone to one of the middle domes that then redirects it to another dome.

If the experiment is successful, send the two drones to each untested dome and start marking the domes with the following notation: Red number for starting dome Blue number for termination dome. So for example if the dome on my left always sends things to the dome the drone ended up, the dome on my left will be marked with a 1 and the dome the drone ended up will be marked with a 1. However, I am unsure what part the middle domes play in the teleportation proccess, so don't start marking domes unless they've been tested with the drone on top experiment.

While doing the above experiments, note any changes in the direction the drone is facing when exiting the dome and whether or not its the same for all domes.

((If I can map the domes successfully, I'll be able to tell where the shuttle came from.))

@Miyamoto: "I've got some parts of the black towers, but that's pretty much it. I think someone on green team took some beetle exoskeletons, you should check with the lab, if they remembered to offload them. I've also got some experiments running there: one to check whether or not towers change size and another concerning what's making those carvings. See if they got any resulted if you have the time. And I think mesk and green team spotted some large creatures with predator behaviour there. Check with them if you want more info. And try not to look like a beetle. And the atmosphere is safe on the ground floor but might be flammable higher up. So your bbest bet is to have Mesk deliver you on top of the towers and then rappelling down, if you don't want your rockets to ignite the atmosphere."
Coming in from overhead seems to have no different effect then just coming in from the side.

Your tests reveal only that the way the domes transport things appears random; you can find no pattern in how the drones exit compared to how they enter. Even when they enter from the exact same place, they can end up miles apart, on any side of the domes. Eventually you lose the drone; or at least you lose it's signal. It wasn't during an SV though, so maybe it just appeared somewhere beyond it's broadcast range.

attempt to identify the organs and their purpose of mesks beetle once it is dismantled.
Dont get in his way, just look at the parts he isnt actively examining.

Hmm. The organs are almost all connected to the main intestinal track that runs through the body. Chances are that they all do something to the stone that the creature is bringing in; though exactly what each organ does you can't tell from just looking. However, you would guess that these organs; the ones not attached to the gastric system, were something to do with either controlling the thing or maintaining the other organs. Hard to tell.

What the hell is this shit? Team

Release a drone to map this orange lake and look at that orange stuff closely, but try to keep a safe distance at all times. Is it doing anything?

You release the drone and squat down to take a look at the lake. It's a bright orange, appears to have a consistancy somewhat like water and is gently lapping against the shore, despite there being no wind. There's  an atmosphere here; in fact the atmosphere here is breathable and at a survivable temperature. It's pretty damn nice, all things considered. The liquid doesn't seem to be doing anything beyond gently moving.

((Seems like I picked a good time to disappear. Huh. Also, with Flint leaving, now someone else needs to be be the guy poking at the alien stuff))

Team blue.

Check for atmosphere.
Are the rods the same ones as in the teleportation sector? How far away is the closest one?
Is the liquid active, and does it have any creatures active in it?
Throw rocks at in the lake. What is the viscosity of the liquid, and does it respond in any way?
If the lake is not active or alive, collect a sample of the liquid. Pour some of it on the frying pan. Does it react in any way?

Atmosphere is, as with bishop, strangely livable.
The rods are not the same. They're significantly larger. As in 6 to 10 feet in diameter larger.
It does not have any visible creatures in it and it's only active in that it's gently rolling with tiny waves or ripples.
You can deduce the viscosity from the waves just as well as if you threw stones in, so you decide not to throw stones. It looks to be about as thick as water, maybe a tiny bit thicker.
I'll let you choose if it qualifies as alive or active next turn.

Map

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqzazdual91p7rh/overall%20map.png

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14052 on: May 20, 2013, 01:27:39 pm »

Search the computer for anyvhidden program's. Or something.

Read next post
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 01:53:03 pm by Tavik Toth »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14053 on: May 20, 2013, 01:50:05 pm »

"The more I observe, the more it seems to me that this is a special park of attractions made for us.
We've got the molten metal place and waterfalls, and I like to see that stuff form and flow. We've got the ice-skating ring, the Fun teleportation devices, and a peaceful meadow with a habitable environment.

God, I'm loving this place. Seriously, the first thing I awaken at the HMRC, and first they give me my eyesight back, and then they give me a peaceful yearly retreat with such beautiful scenery. Could this possibly be better?"

Quote from: To Jack Hansan
"Since you don't seem to be doing anything, could you check if the base really has no hidden cameras or microphones inside? I have a hard time believing they could put us here without such a basic safety precautions.

Of course I'm not the expert on this, but I would recommend going the following way about this. First, check the exterior of the base, then the the interior, for any wierd stuff peaking out of the walls, ceiling, and furniture. That search will yield nothing.

Then, and you should probably ask permission for that, you should check the insides. any by that I mean check the base wiring, vents, and inside walls. Obviously, I can't ask you to check the entire base, but a couple rooms should be enough. I don't know if you'll be able to make sense of the wiring, I know I wouldn't, but please do try. And if any of that turns out to be recording devices, get back to me.

Honestly, I just don't trust Alvin to be responsible with the power he may or may not have over us. And we might be able to use the microphones and cameras to monitor the planetoid. Have fun."

Livable as in livable for humans, or what exactly? And sure, I collect a sample of the liquid, careful not to touch it myself.
Then I take a sit before the lake (10 m?), and stretch out my legs and lie on my back, enjoying the moment.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 02:02:41 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14054 on: May 20, 2013, 01:56:06 pm »

"The more I observe, the more it seems to me that this is a special park of attractions made for us.
We've got the molten metal place and waterfalls, and I like to see that stuff form and flow. We've got the ice-skating ring, the Fun teleportation devices, and a peaceful meadow with a habitable environment.

God, I'm loving this place. Seriously, the first thing I awaken at the HMRC, and first they give me my eyesight back, and then they give me a peaceful yearly retreat with such beautiful scenery. Could this possibly be better?"

Quote from: To Jack Hansan
"Since you don't seem to be doing anything, could you check if the base really has no hidden cameras or microphones inside? I have a hard time believing they could put us here without such a basic safety precautions.

Of course I'm not the expert on this, but I would recommend going the following way about this. First, check the exterior of the base, then the the interior, for any wierd stuff peaking out of the walls, ceiling, and furniture. That search will yield nothing.

Then, and you should probably ask permission for that, you should check the insides. any by that I mean check the base wiring, vents, and inside walls. Obviously, I can't ask you to check the entire base, but a couple rooms should be enough. I don't know if you'll be able to make sense of the wiring, I know I wouldn't, but please do try. And if any of that turns out to be recording devices, get back to me.

Honestly, I just don't trust Alvin to be responsible with the power he may or may not have over us. And we might be able to use the microphones and cameras to monitor the planetoid. Have fun."

Livable as in livable for humans, or what exactly? And sure, I collect a sample of the liquid, careful not to touch it myself.
Then I take a sit before the lake (10 m?), and stretch out my legs and lie on my back, enjoying the moment.

Quote from: To...Whats your name?
Sure thing.

search for any hidden cameras and sensors outside the base then go search for any inside the base.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 05:42:26 am by Tavik Toth »
Pages: 1 ... 935 936 [937] 938 939 ... 1256