Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 928 929 [930] 931 932 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3943058 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: What?
« Reply #13935 on: May 13, 2013, 04:13:05 pm »

Go see if anyone needs any non medical help.
You walk up to lars.

"Don't worry, I'm here to help."

"What? I can't hear you, I've gone deaf. Could you get  some help?"

"PSYCH!"

You walk away, looking for someone to help with stuff. Hmm, Lab boys seem to have things handled, and there's really not anyone left around, except your gimped teammates and mesk. Hm..

"Could it be... Hey, I think we've got something from the previous team here. Could it be the one Anton was looking at, the one who took that shuttle? But why is he here? Those shuttles are supposed to last until the border... Watch out team, I've got a bad feeling about this..."

Perform one final battery of tests:

Fire a laser pulse at the ground inside the dome with the laser outside the dome. Touch that part of the ground that would have been heated with the rod. See if I can feel the heat passing through the dome. Remove the rod and see if it has been heated at all.

Perform the same test as above with the laser inside the dome if the laser failed to heat the inside of the dome in the previous test.

Fire a laser pulse to the ground to heat it up. Stick my pole in the hot ground and put the rest of it inside the dome. Wait for the heat to spread. Then remove the pole from the dome and test it for heat.
((Basically trying to determine what kinds of energy pass through the dome. I can see that vibrations caused by sound are stopped. Now I want to see if vibrations caused by heat are stopped too.))

Stick the hot part of the pole in the dome for a few moments (reheat as necessary) and then  after waiting for a bit see if it has cooled down more then normal while in the dome. ((Now trying to determine whether or not the dome absorbs all kinds of energy.))

If all previous tests reveal no danger then ask one of my teammates to hold my hand while I take a peek inside a dome. Open my light lamps.

If a teammate is holding me, first put a finger inside the dome. Then a hand. Then an arm. And finally stick my head in.

Use the the lamps for illumination (if illumination is possible). Fire off a few laser pulses to the ground close to me and a few towards the center of the zone. Hit the ground with my feet (that are still outside) and see if I can feel the vibrations with the rod now.

In the first sign of danger, physical or mental, pull out. If unable to pull out, activate jump rockets at full throttle to aid in my retreat.

Then follow the leader.

((Can everybody else see the map? It looks incredibly blurry to me for some reason.))

Well, you don't feel any heat but thats because of the suit no doubt. The rod doesn't seem melted or heated though.

It seems to heat the pole this time, now that the end of the laser is in the dome.

That test proves a bit too hard to verify one way or another, since you can't feel or see the heat.

Heating it up till red hot and then stick it in. You pull it about half way back out, the heated part still red, when the domes all sort of shimmer and vibrate a little. Suddenly the rest of the rod in the dome is simply gone, as though snipped off. You stick the remaining part back in and take it out again with no change to the rod. Huh...

Gonna let you consider if you want to stick your head in there or not.

wake up and assess my addiction and remaining giggle effects.

Mesk slaps you conscious and appears to be trying to talk to you, but you can't hear him. You can't hear giggling either. You just can't hear anything.

Perform triage and begin diagnostics on whoever's in most need of treatment.
Lars seems like he's in the worst shape, so you go take a look at him.

[med:2+2]

You perform an examination on Lars.

"Ok, I know you can't hear me, but I'm gonna keep talking for narrative purposes." You say, looking over the results of the test. "Whatever happened to you out there has done all sorts of damage to your inner ear. It pretty much wrecked the organ of corti and ruptured all three of the canals in the Vestibular system. So frankly, your hearing and balance systems are fucked."

You scratch your head.

"We've got some drugs to promote regrowth, but those will take a while. Or I could go in an attempt to give you robo-ears, though that would require me digging around in your skull. Oh wait..."

You grab a data pad and write.

"FAST BUT DANGEROUS or SLOW BUT SAFER?"

You hold it up in front of Lar's face.

((Bro?  Is Lars channeling the spirit of Thrak?  Can't be good.))

Perform faith healing on self.  ((I'm sure leaving that vague will cause nothing bad to happen.))
"THE POWER OF VARIOUS GODS COMPELS ME!"

You begin punching yourself in the head.

Blue Team

Bishop stares silently at the new map data for a bit, thinking and weighing up risks. Finally, he radios back to the base.

"Hey, this is Blue leader here. We've just had a drone find something that looks man-made. Seems like a wreck of some kind that's out on what looks like a salt flat. We've also found some interesting domes that seem to cancel out all light and form some kind of band of sorts.

What do you think we should do Base?"

Have everyone chill out for a bit and watch the experiment with the domes. Ponder how there can be anything man-made out there when the previous team all died in the gravity seep.
Hard to say. Maybe someone with metal hands would know more?

General Transmission to everyone
"Hey I need some help from that magic vision guy in the lab if you could come here or direct him here to the labs that would be appreciated."
If/when he appears direct him to the sample and ask for some assistance. Otherwise test its strength.
"WHAT? DID SOMEONE SAY MAGIC VISION?"

Head to the labs, and see what the dude needs help with.

((I brought the Cubeulator with me. I call it that because it seems to be a massive cubic manipulator. Or at least functions like one. I was also the Mutant spaceship. I was one of Herr Docktors experiments. I was a "human" that could survive in space. I was essentially a humanized MKI sans medical system.))
We'll assume that Corsair went and grabbed Kisame since Kisame's character, Morul, is deaf at the moment.

Also, what sample you want him to look at? I hope it's not that metal one.

Blue Team

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

'You can go investigate the shuttle, but use extreme cautious. Don't go all at once, keep some disatnce, the other team is down because they all were affected by something at once. But leave those domes for later, once you're sure there aren't any monsters hiding in it the experimentation can wait for a bit.'

Help Mesk with the 'wounded'. If he doesn't need help, then go check the computer and the desk in my bedroom for anything left by the previous teams. Then command Alvin for a self-diagnostic.
Also check how long we've been here already.

Quote from:  to the exploration team
How are things going there? Have you found anything noteworthy? Any interesting samples taken?

((@ Paris: what is the 'cube of death' in the barracks? Just noticed it in your notes.)
Mesk seems to have it under control.
You go check your room again, but there doesn't seem to be anything hidden anywhere, least not that you can find.
ALVIN reports no issues after a self diagnostic check.
You have been here for about a month and a half or two months.

(yes I know you've all slept like maybe 10 times at best. You want me to really force you to go at a realistic pace so that getting out to the second level of hexes takes a week work of "Keep walking" posts?)

((I'm back and caught up on reading. Glad to know my team hasn't destroyed themselves in my absence. And good that we finally found the leader of the last expedition.

On the other hand, this is getting progressively harder to visualize. The descriptions are great, but I'm not entirely sure how the domes look like, or what the "underground passage" is. And yes, the map is too blurry to be useful.
And Piecewise, regarding the map, could you post the stuff we know about the sector on the map even if it's not restricted to a specific square? Like when we discover what "sector x" looks like but we don't go in there, it'd be useful to have like a large floating text there with the description. Or with the giggling sounds too, some sort of floating text to inform us of the description would be helpful. Please read the above suggestion.

On the ground, not much for me to do right now. Bishop and Flint took care of samples and experiments, so...
And for the motion anomalies, is there any reason we still don't know their height? We kind of repeatedly said that we were testing for that.))

I think Paris' notes cover most of that, but I'll see about throwing a notes on there...but I'm not really sure what you want.  Each square already does have a little note with a very vague description. And I don't really have space to cram in a massive listing of everything you've found out about the zone into that area without completely covering the hex and obscuring the zone. And if you just want a bunch of giant notes off on the side...well I suppose I can do that but what would really make more sense is if you guys were to say "add this note to the map" and then I would just add that note to the map. That would give you what you want and make sense within the context of the universe, rather then the map just updating with meta knowledge.

Map
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zqzazdual91p7rh/overall%20map.png

Right click, download original. It shouldn't be blurry. Dunno why imgur did that.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13936 on: May 13, 2013, 05:56:34 pm »

((Nope, still blurry. The reason for that is that it's too zoomed out. I can download it on my own computer and it's looking fine, but then it's hard to scroll and more than a but awkward. Also, I was bit more confused than I would have been otherwise because of the map. And I was mostly talking about marking the area Lars and the team were deafened by, since it still doesn't appear to be marked, and also about marking the hexes we still haven't entered yet.

Also, two months?! It's been like four days for me. I remember, two one day expeditions. One day of rest when we just came to the base. One sleep over. So we're on the fifth day right now for my character. Or actually we can double that if we had been walking an obnoxious amount of hours. Yeah, I can roll with it, but it means we're so much limited in experimentation. Maybe we can just finish exploration whenever we feel like, and have the time limit strike whenever that happens?))

Team of this color.

Oh, and be present, under the leadership of the guy with a religious name.
Action edit: Go with Bishop into the salt lake and examine the wreckage.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:36:34 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13937 on: May 13, 2013, 06:26:09 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 16

"Carp! It ate my rod! Stupid dome! I hope you choke on it! Well, I've seen enough horror movies to know that when strange crap start happening to your rod, it's time to run away. Let's-a go!"

Search with what's left of my rod for the other part inside the dome.
Then get follow the leader, hopefully away from this probably shark filled rod eating dome.

((@PW:Great, I can see the map now. Also, don't our suits have some atmospheric sensors? Can't I use those to detect heat? Not that it matters much now.))

((@Radio Controlled: Well, I'm certain that if you join Team Bismuth in Perplexicon they can help you and make it easier for you.[/totally does not have an ulterior motive] Also, should we consider sending red to do Green's job since it looks like either way, it'll be some time before they're healed?))
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 12:42:16 pm by Parisbre56 »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13938 on: May 13, 2013, 08:21:26 pm »

Team green

attempt self diagnosis and medication, because it worked so well last time.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13939 on: May 13, 2013, 08:35:52 pm »

Team Gimpy Green

((Mesk digging around in my head?  I'm sure no bad can come of this!))

Lars shrugged.  "How slow is slow?  If I'd be out less than five days, the slow way.  Otherwise, go ahead and do fast.  The will of Steve must be done.

Slow if 5 days or less.  Fast otherwise.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13940 on: May 13, 2013, 09:49:28 pm »

Blue team of exploration

"Well that settles it, I'm not touching those things and I'm sure no one else wants to either, so let's get out of here."

Carefully test to see if the salt flat can take our weight while making sure that we stay near the 'shore' so we can rescue them if something bad happens. If it's safe, proceed towards the wreckage, tossing the odd rock out in front of us just in case, and examine the wreckage.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13941 on: May 14, 2013, 02:41:09 am »

"Alright then."

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13942 on: May 14, 2013, 04:54:13 am »

Lukas

Move back to the location of the Red Team
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13943 on: May 14, 2013, 07:05:24 am »

Go to the command centre place and man one of the computers.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13944 on: May 14, 2013, 07:37:59 am »

"Should we leave somebody on the shore in case the stuff goes bad? Maybe two of us can go inside, and Flint and Zephyris will stay out ready to rescue us."

Action edited.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13945 on: May 14, 2013, 01:17:42 pm »

((Nope, still blurry. The reason for that is that it's too zoomed out. I can download it on my own computer and it's looking fine, but then it's hard to scroll and more than a but awkward. Also, I was bit more confused than I would have been otherwise because of the map. And I was mostly talking about marking the area Lars and the team were deafened by, since it still doesn't appear to be marked, and also about marking the hexes we still haven't entered yet.

Also, two months?! It's been like four days for me. I remember, two one day expeditions. One day of rest when we just came to the base. One sleep over. So we're on the fifth day right now for my character. Or actually we can double that if we had been walking an obnoxious amount of hours. Yeah, I can roll with it, but it means we're so much limited in experimentation. Maybe we can just finish exploration whenever we feel like, and have the time limit strike whenever that happens?))

Team of this color.

Oh, and be present, under the leadership of the guy with a religious name.
Action edit: Go with Bishop into the salt lake and examine the wreckage.

(I know time doesn't make much sense, but it's the price we pay for not getting caught up in a massive mount of slowdown, or having you eat every turn. Also the reason why the effect in the area lars and co. entered is unmarked is because they didn't mark it. They used a drone to chart it but they got incapacitated by the effect and didn't ever mark the location down.)
You follow bishop, which is a bit hard because he only moves in diagonals.

Flint Westwood + Blue squad - Sector 16

"Carp! It ate my rod! Stupid dome! I hope you choke on it! Well, I've seen enough horror movies to know that when strange crap start heppening to your rod, it's time to run away. Let's-a go!

Search with what's left of my rod for the other part inside the dome.
Then get follow the leader, hopefully away from this probably shark filled rod eating dome.

((Great, I can see the map now. Also, don't our suits have some atmospheric sensors? Can't I use those to detect heat? Not that it matters much now.))

((@Radio Controlled: Well, I'm certain that if you join Team Bismuth in Perplexicon they can help you and make it easier for you.[/totally does not have an ulterior motive] Also, should we consider sending red to do Green's job since it looks like either way, it'll be some time before they're healed?))
(The suit can detect ambient heat, the heat of the environment, not so much the heat of a single part of it. I guess you could jam the pole against the sensor. )

You can't find the rest of the rod in the dome, despite your best poking. However, the dome doesn't "eat" anything else. Hmm. You follow bishop.

Team green

Team green

[med:6+1]

"I AM SUFFERING FROM INNER EAR DAMAGE AND MORPHINE ADDICTION!" You scream, in a medical bloodlust, "I WILL REMEDY THIS RIGHT NOW!"

[dex:1-3+1]
You leap up and attempt to run to the large medicine cabinet. However your damaged sense of balance causes the endevor to end with you putting yourself face first through the cabinet's plate glass door.
[end:3]
You lay on the ground, bleeding from glass cuts, screaming with medical fury and spazzing out with pain.

Team Gimpy Green

((Mesk digging around in my head?  I'm sure no bad can come of this!))

Lars shrugged.  "How slow is slow?  If I'd be out less than five days, the slow way.  Otherwise, go ahead and do fast.  The will of Steve must be done.

"Alright then."
Mesk begins writing out his conversation on the pad.

"Hard to say exact amount of time it will take...but lets give you the slow method now and if you get impatient we'll do surgery later."

"Thats quite level headed of you." Lars shouts, not aware of his volume.

"Yeah I know.  I'm a bit worried about that myself."

Mesk walks over to the medicine cabinet, steps over Auron's bleeding head, grabs what he needs through the broken window and walks back over to Lars.

"Here, take 1 of these each...unspecified amount of time...You ever feel like the days around here are sort of a vague and poorly accounted for measure of time? Oh well. Yeah, one of these a day. Your hearing should come back first, the balance will later. I suggest a wheel chair or someone to carry you, otherwise you may end up like him."

He gestures back at Auron.

Blue team of exploration

"Well that settles it, I'm not touching those things and I'm sure no one else wants to either, so let's get out of here."

Carefully test to see if the salt flat can take our weight while making sure that we stay near the 'shore' so we can rescue them if something bad happens. If it's safe, proceed towards the wreckage, tossing the odd rock out in front of us just in case, and examine the wreckage.

The surface takes your weight no problem. If there is fluid under it, it's probably several feet straight down through solid crystal. You and your team head out to the wreckage, taking it slow and using plenty of stones and rods to test the way in front of you. Eventually, you reach the wreck.

It appears to be the remains of a shuttle, badly damaged from what is clearly a crash landing of sorts, judging from the ditch it dug as it hit. However, there is something odd about it; This is only half a shuttle, specifically the rear section with the engines. The front section, with the cockpit, is gone, sliced clean off in a way clearly not caused by the impact.

Lukas

Move back to the location of the Red Team
You join doomblade over near the cave entrance.

Go to the command centre place and man one of the computers.

You sit down at one of the computers and rock back and forth in the chair. After a while you pretend to be driving a space fighter and makes exaggerated "PEW PEW" noises while gunning down imaginary alien death machines.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13946 on: May 14, 2013, 01:53:27 pm »

"Well, this doctoring business is pretty easy.  Who's next?"
Triage, diagnosis, same drill as before.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13947 on: May 14, 2013, 02:23:20 pm »

Diagonally moving team.

"Base, are you getting this? The front section of the shuttle has been sliced clean. Is there any way you can determine the direction the shuttle was flying before it hit the ground?"

To Team: "Bishop, you think we might scavenge this birdie for parts or fuel? Also, how long was it here?"

Examine the wreckage (inside and outside). Examine what could be the cause of the shuttle being sliced off (ie:laser/monorazor/battleaxe/etc).
Examine the ditch (crystals? ground composition?).
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 02:28:37 pm by Thearpox »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13948 on: May 14, 2013, 02:57:43 pm »

Lars nods as he looks at the written version of the instructions.  One a day?  Can do.

"Praise the gods of medicine!"

Pop a pill.  Find a wheelchair and wheel myself around, going VROOM VROOM as I do.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13949 on: May 14, 2013, 03:44:09 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 16

"What if it was... teleportation? What if he tried to go through the black domes and somehow the part that was in one dome... got here and the other got... somewhere else?"

Check if the drones have a method to transmit their location, so that they can be recovered even if they're on a faraway zone.

Check the wreckage for anything of interest or of value. Something to tell me where it was going, identifying marks, how much fuel was used (and the distance it traveled, if I can deduce that), supplies, damage out of the ordinary, strange alien crap, non-strange human crap, etc.
Pages: 1 ... 928 929 [930] 931 932 ... 1256