Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3939382 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13800 on: April 30, 2013, 05:15:50 pm »

((If that wasn't clear, that was a joke action with a hidden purpose. Test the local wildlife for edibility. Just in case the next time a blue radiation orb passes it destroys our food supplies, I'd like to know whether or not we can eat the locals. But now it has been made perfectly clear to me that eating the bugs without examining them first is a very stupid thing to do. Before now I believed the risks to be acceptable.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13801 on: April 30, 2013, 06:06:26 pm »

((I'm not saying you shouldn't, but I am saying that I think it would be a pretty bad idea to shove some alien guts and stuff into your mouth as food. By all means, go ahead, I'm sure piecewise wouldn't mind. :P))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13802 on: April 30, 2013, 07:25:28 pm »

((Yeah, go ahead by all means. It totally wasn't clear from the very beginning that eating random crap is a bad idea. Especially random crap soaked in methane, found on an anomalous planetoid. Just don't expect Vich to carry your body, he'll be laughing his guts out. One less guy who dislikes him and a bit less debt issues to worry about. (Yeah, I know about Jim. His survival is not a constant either.) And it wasn't obvious that it was a joke action. It was bolded.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13803 on: May 01, 2013, 02:38:27 am »

((Hey, I couldn't get online for a few days due to family event in Germany and a change of thrones in the Netherlands yesterday. Both events involved me being occupied with drinking beer and incomprehensible blethering to other human beings. I scanned a little bit through the posts, but is red team complete yet?))

Red Team - Lukas

Help to map the area around the chasm, while keeping a safe distance from the chasm itself. Sample anything that looks interesting but not particularly dangerous.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13804 on: May 01, 2013, 11:21:20 am »

Anton Chernozorov, Red Team technician/explorer.

"Yeah, no immediately important-looking bits here. That means either the creatures are the source of the ground's properties, the lights in the sky are, or the ground itself is now permanently this way. Any option has uses, but not for me and not now. Alright then."

Try to return the drone to me, then scoot back and try to find the trailer. Once there, hitch it up and drive to the Temporal Anomalies, using the map and any visual cues to try and avoid running headfirst into one.

"Anton Chernozorov to whichever team was scouting Sector Three, the Temporal Anomaly zone. Have you marked the edges of the anomalies at all? I'd like to perform some experiments there, but if at all possible not on myself."
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13805 on: May 01, 2013, 03:32:15 pm »

(I've skipped people who are basically doing the same thing as someone else in their proximity.)

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 18

You're gonna grab something from the surface of an alien planet and jam it in your mouth? Just like that?
((Yeah, you're right. I can't jam something from the surface of an alien planet in my mouth just like that...

I'm going to have to cook it first!))

"On the other hand, putting strange alien crap in my mouth might not be a good idea. Oh well, there's always mapping to be done. And when we capture a whole beetle, then I can analyze it, then cook it and then, if it's safe, eat it."

Keep on mapping. See if I can see what's in the nearby zone.
((Flint's death from food poisoning will be the stupidest death we've had yet. Well, aside from all the other stupid deaths, but it's stupidity is very... special.

Also, we might want to wait with capturing those magma slugs until near the end of our stay. No need to waste a lot of power supporting them, when all we're doing is preparing them to be raised into the Sword.))

Well, keep on walking (unless Bishop says to rest). I'm not the one to complain, and not much else to do. I mean, I could start weaving some intrigues, but I think that'd be overkill for a simple walk around those towers.
Blue Team

"Alright everyone, good work so far. Let's take a break here for a bit..." Bishop panted, slumping down in a spot that looks a little bit softer than all the others, even if it isn't. "Man... I should put in some padding for the feet in this thing..."

Take a break and send the map data back to base. Observe our surroundings and see what the zones next to us look like, and the possibility of using a drone safely.
Team Blue maps a bit more, until they come to a strange sort of mixing of the black towers and the gel sea; a coastline of sorts where the sea appears to have flowed inland a bit and swallowed up the bottoms of the towers. They still stand, onyx rods rising from a purple jellysack, but getting through the place would require walking on the gel itself.

As per what the team can see of the other zones, zone 36 appears to be hidden beneath an all encompassing yellow fog. Hard to tell if thats dangerous or not. But it probably is.

((I thought the suits would be fine in the molten iron.))

"Eh the suit should be fine"

Head to the volcanic zone using the extra resistant containers to sample the liquid from both the surface and from just under the surface if it is under one of or both of these categories;
   -There are lifeforms heading towards it or dont appear to have recently "grazed"
   -A lifeform is leaving the pool or is currently passing through it

You Dip another container into the fluid and it takes all your strength to get it out again, struggling against the great weight of the liquid and the suction of the vacuum your pulling is creating. You do manage to get it out and back onto the solid shore, but you now have a slight dilemma. The partially full surface sample weighs around 40 pounds. The full deeper sample weighs at least twice that.  So you've now got 120 pounds of slowly hardening iron to work with.

"Well fuck. Hrmm. I wonder..."

Remove shovel from goo, wipe it off on the ground, and start digging a hole next to the edge of the sea. When I get about three feet down, try and dig into the sea, and prepare to get out fast if the sea rushes in.
Ground is made of pretty much solid stone. Even if you're strong enough to dig through it, the shovel is gonna give out long before that stone does.

((Oh baby.))

Geam Treen

Observe the penetrations.  Do they stay penetrated or does the surface reform.  Walk over to a undisturbed spot- will it support my weight?  Try to walk a few feet out if so- no more than eight feet.

Generally observe.

The pierced areas do seem to be sealing themselves, though it's slowly enough that the only way you can tell is by watching the edges and how they seem to become less jagged over time. You walk a good few dozen feet away and, after a good amount of poking and nervous leaning and testing and hopping, conclude that the gel does indeed hold your weight. Although you sink down about 2 inches on either foot, longer if you stand still. And it seems that if you stand still long enough you eventually feel yourself hit bottom. Hmm. Probably shouldn't do that when you're 8 feet out. Or maybe you should? It would be interesting.

Red Team

Back away to a safe distance and continue mapping.
You map a little bit more around the edge, but the chasms and the electric fields block things off going this way. The only way it would seem possible to continue mapping the volcanic zone is either going back around the other way or crossing over the ironfalls.

build a box for capturing a slug thing. Make it heat-resistant but not insulated. Make it so that the left and right lid can be taken off.
[handi:4]
You weld together a heat resistant, but not heat insulated, metal box with two sort of slot like lids that can be removed. Yay bug box.

Anton Chernozorov, Red Team technician/explorer.

"Yeah, no immediately important-looking bits here. That means either the creatures are the source of the ground's properties, the lights in the sky are, or the ground itself is now permanently this way. Any option has uses, but not for me and not now. Alright then."

Try to return the drone to me, then scoot back and try to find the trailer. Once there, hitch it up and drive to the Temporal Anomalies, using the map and any visual cues to try and avoid running headfirst into one.

"Anton Chernozorov to whichever team was scouting Sector Three, the Temporal Anomaly zone. Have you marked the edges of the anomalies at all? I'd like to perform some experiments there, but if at all possible not on myself."
Driving over to the Temporal anomalies is easy, and finding their bounderies is even easier. Someone has quite thoughtfully marked them with a combination of spraypaint, stones around the edges and, occasionally, stones just kinda floating in mid air. Welp.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13806 on: May 01, 2013, 03:41:19 pm »

Team Greeeen

"Interesting, brothers.  I am sure the scientists will enjoy testing this substance.  I wonder if anything lives in it?  How deep is it?  Perhaps Brother Lukas can shoot all his weapons at it to see what happens.   For now, though, I think we have done all we can.  Let us proceed."

Walk toward Sector 8.  For the first mile or so, walk on the gel sea about three feet from shore to see if anything interesting happens.  Otherwise, proceed.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13807 on: May 01, 2013, 04:32:04 pm »

[GREEN TEAM]

"I need a pick."

Follow Lars, but stay on solid ground, ready to fire at anything hostile jumping out of the goo.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 05:04:11 pm by kisame12794 »
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13808 on: May 01, 2013, 04:42:52 pm »

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13809 on: May 01, 2013, 05:33:59 pm »

Be competent.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13810 on: May 01, 2013, 05:40:45 pm »

((Sorry, been out of it for a bit. What samples do we still need from the lava area?))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13811 on: May 01, 2013, 07:35:52 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 18

((Sorry, been out of it for a bit. What samples do we still need from the lava area?))
((You can help Corsair carry iron back to base. You can help Radio Controlled capture a magma beetle/woodlice/thingy. You can go capture/investigate something else that is living in that zone, like the magma dragons or the magmafall limpets. You can help Anton with the motion anomaly in sector 3.))

Send a drone to map the goo sea.
EDIT: While waiting for the drone to return see if the towers or the goo sea look different somehow in the place they coexist. Shove the goo away from the side of one tower and see whether or not the carvings continue into the area covered by goo.
If possible tie part of the goo sea like a balloon so that the liquid cannot escape from inside. Else just grab a small "bag" of goo by pressing the end of the "bag" really hard so that only the film and no liquid remains in the place I have grabbed and the liquid cannot escape from the inside of the "bag".
Cut off the "bag" from the sea above my hand (with my monorazor if necessary) so that I'm holding the "bag" below my hand and see whether or not the film "heals" on its own. If it doesn't, dip the cut part in the liquid escaping from the hole I cut on the sea and see if it heals then.

((I hope you understand what I mean by all that. Or at least what I intend to do. Sorry.))
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 01:25:56 pm by Parisbre56 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13812 on: May 01, 2013, 07:42:26 pm »

Finish mapping the last few subhexes of sector six if possible, and if safe, take a look at 15.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13813 on: May 01, 2013, 07:47:31 pm »

Look around to see if any of the other vehicles in the garage have weapons.  If they do, see if there are replacement parts for the weapons around.  If they don't, see what the biggest guns in the armoury are.  Also look for paint.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13814 on: May 01, 2013, 10:22:38 pm »

BLU Team

Send a drone into the cloud to map it out and wait for it to come back. Upload my current map data to the base mainframe.
Pages: 1 ... 919 920 [921] 922 923 ... 1256