Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3938762 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13785 on: April 29, 2013, 05:38:52 pm »

"Hrmmm. I wonder if the drones are waterproof."

Poke the film with the handle of my shovel, gradually increasing pressure until it breaks.
This proves pretty damn hard. The handle of your shovel is rounded at the end so it just keeps sliding when you apply lots of force to it. Eventually though, you manage to get it wedged in place and put all your weight on it. The handle penetrates and you fall forward as the shovel sinks into the goo all the way up to the shovel head.  Nothing comes spraying out, but you can see purplish, greenish, bluish fluid oozing out around the edges of the hole.

Red Team
"Let's move out a bit, but be careful."

Map around the arc chasm, keeping an eye out for any other anomalies.
You walk a little ways around, back toward the west since the eastern side is blocked by the ironfalls. It becomes immediately apparent even just walking around the edge, that this place is probably not somewhere you want to go without some sort of electrical insulation. Even outside the chasms, the ground crackles with live current; formations of what look like stalagmites shot through with veins of metal throw arcs of electricity a dozen feet long and steams of current leap about between them. The ground itself is black and volcanic looking, rent with massive chasms where the electrical discharge is even worse.

"Time to head to the volcanic zone"
Head to the volcanic zone using the extra resistant containers to sample the liquid from both the surface and bottom (or as far down as I can get) if it is under one of or both of these categories;
   -There are lifeforms heading towards it or dont appear to have recently "grazed"
   -A lifeform is leaving the pool or is currently passing through it

You walk to the edge of the iron sea and take a sample from the shallows. However, you're not entirely sure you want to stick your arm in there to get a sample from the deeper parts. Insulated or not, you're not sure how resistant the suit is.

Blue Team

"How the hell can we not see this from base? It's not that far, is it?" Bishop said, continuing to plod along patiently.

Keep mapping cautiously.
(It's over 20 miles from base.)
You continue mapping around the edge of the zone.

Your feet are getting pretty sore from all this walking.

green team

jam my hard rod into it's quivering, moist mass.
also jam it with a sampling container... for scientific purposes i swear...

((whats the bet im about to get eaten by space goo?))

You too manage to jam your rod into the goo, and just as the pirate before you, fall face first as the rod penetrates. You pull the rod out and sort of scrape some of the goo off it. It's quite viscous and gooey, but not sticky.

"Welp."

Shoot it with the gauss rifle, at about a 60 degree downward angle.  See if I can get a sample now.
"Wonder what effect lasers have on it."

Assist in testing goo with lars.

Well, lars fires his load and Jack catches the goo.

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 18

((Looks like bringing that monorazor along was a good idea. Most things around here seem too durable to be sampled otherwise.))
((whats the bet im about to get eaten by space goo?))
((Getting eaten isn't the problem. Your suit will probably protect you, unless it's some horrible, suit eating goo. The problems I can see are:
1.You get trapped and you can't get out.
1.a.One of your trigger happy friends shoots you in an attempt to free you.
1.a.i.You survive the shot. Now your suit is slowly filling up with gel. Enjoy your slow, painful, jelly death.
2.The goo sea is actually surrounded by some sort of plastic bag and is under pressure (like a balloon), so the moment you pierce the surface, it explodes on your face with unfortunate results.
3.There are sharks inside that sea. You know how dangerous alien sharks can be from the last mission.))

"Mmmmm... Fried desert beetle was a delicacy back home. I wonder if this tastes as good..."

Keep following the leader. If I see one of those beetle shells lying around, break one small piece off of it (preferably one that still has "meat" on it) and smell it, then lick it (I'm assuming that since we can eat in them, our suits has some kind of induction port). If it doesn't feel weird in my tongue or smell bad, eat a tiny part of it. Keep the rest in a sample container for later.

((What? It's an acceptable scientific experiment. What could possibly go wrong?))
You're gonna grab something from the surface of an alien planet and jam it in your mouth? Just like that?

Just making sure.

Refuel the shuttle and look over it for any signs of damage.
Shuttle fueled, damage non-existent, capt. We be flying free.

Base team

See if it would be possible to build a containment box/chamber inside the lab which could be heated up to the temperature where the slug lives. Also, check if there is enough materials to make multiple boxes.

Then update map and distribute it around.

Hmm, possible, though it might be hard. You'd have to jury rig up some sort of heating system. And give it a large supply of power. Plus whatever food that thing eats, and whatever it breathes. Does it breathe? Hmm.

You redistribute the updated map.

((Oh right. Forgot action again.))

"Darn, these things just go on forever. This is officially too big for me to handle by myself. I'm going to run out of fuel before I find a clearing. One last experiment before I leave then."

Hack the spare mapping drone I brought for manual flight control, link its camera and sensor feeds to my visor. Send the drone north, flying in low, keeping track of the rangefinder to avoid accidentally running into something. Try to observe the creatures on the ground for a bit, then continue through the creature-filled area towards anything like the anomaly center - anything I can spot that stands out. If the drone starts losing signal, try to set it down on the ground away from nearby creatures, leaving it broadcasting an intermittent radio signal, to act as a beacon for later.
[aux:5]
You scout around with the drone a bit, staying low. There doesn't seem to be any sort of central area, it's simply more of these crystalline creatures and things. None of the creatures or plants-thats the best analogy you can make for these things-seem dangerous. They're just very slowly sliding or crawling around. Or doing nothing at all. Though it's hard to make detailed examinations from the drone as it bobs and weaves and zooms all over the damn place. The only thing you find of note are what look like enormous ant hills or termite mounds. They're rare, scattered about across the flatlands and made of a strange sort of dully luminous wax looking substance. They tower several stories tall, almost up into the lights above.

Map
http://i.imgur.com/USTKXIA.png

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13786 on: April 29, 2013, 06:17:55 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 18

You're gonna grab something from the surface of an alien planet and jam it in your mouth? Just like that?
((Yeah, you're right. I can't jam something from the surface of an alien planet in my mouth just like that...

I'm going to have to cook it first!))

"On the other hand, putting strange alien crap in my mouth might not be a good idea. Oh well, there's always mapping to be done. And when we capture a whole beetle, then I can analyze it, then cook it and then, if it's safe, eat it."

Keep on mapping. See if I can see what's in the nearby zone.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 06:26:10 pm by Parisbre56 »

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13787 on: April 29, 2013, 08:21:03 pm »

((I thought the suits would be fine in the molten iron.))

"Eh the suit should be fine"

Head to the volcanic zone using the extra resistant containers to sample the liquid from both the surface and from just under the surface if it is under one of or both of these categories;
   -There are lifeforms heading towards it or dont appear to have recently "grazed"
   -A lifeform is leaving the pool or is currently passing through it

So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13788 on: April 29, 2013, 08:52:52 pm »

((Flint's death from food poisoning will be the stupidest death we've had yet. Well, aside from all the other stupid deaths, but it's stupidity is very... special.

Also, we might want to wait with capturing those magma slugs until near the end of our stay. No need to waste a lot of power supporting them, when all we're doing is preparing them to be raised into the Sword.))

Well, keep on walking (unless Bishop says to rest). I'm not the one to complain, and not much else to do. I mean, I could start weaving some intrigues, but I think that'd be overkill for a simple walk around those towers.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13789 on: April 29, 2013, 09:04:57 pm »

"Well fuck. Hrmm. I wonder..."

Remove shovel from goo, wipe it off on the ground, and start digging a hole next to the edge of the sea. When I get about three feet down, try and dig into the sea, and prepare to get out fast if the sea rushes in.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13790 on: April 29, 2013, 09:15:12 pm »

Blue Team

"Alright everyone, good work so far. Let's take a break here for a bit..." Bishop panted, slumping down in a spot that looks a little bit softer than all the others, even if it isn't. "Man... I should put in some padding for the feet in this thing..."

Take a break and send the map data back to base. Observe our surroundings and see what the zones next to us look like, and the possibility of using a drone safely.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13791 on: April 29, 2013, 09:30:29 pm »

((Oh baby.))

Geam Treen

Observe the penetrations.  Do they stay penetrated or does the surface reform.  Walk over to a undisturbed spot- will it support my weight?  Try to walk a few feet out if so- no more than eight feet.

Generally observe.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13792 on: April 29, 2013, 09:58:15 pm »

Red Team

Back away to a safe distance and continue mapping.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13793 on: April 29, 2013, 10:59:24 pm »

green team

follow Lars with my rod at the ready and thrust it towards him if he penetrates the moist quivering mass

keep exploring.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13794 on: April 30, 2013, 05:36:41 am »

Follow lars. Prod goo when possible.

Empiricist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13795 on: April 30, 2013, 06:03:35 am »

Just making sure.
((Well, Ivan slowly mutated into a demonic cicada from exposure to something, Faith gained her berserk capability from a hostile, Milno became symbiotic with sharkmist. I guess the reasoning is, if Flint gambles and wins, he might gain some sort of eldritch ability from exposure to this eldritch ecosystem.))
Quote from: Caellath (on Discord)
<Caellath>: Emp is the hero we don't need, deserve or want

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13796 on: April 30, 2013, 11:43:48 am »

build a box for capturing a slug thing. Make it heat-resistant but not insulated. Make it so that the left and right lid can be taken off.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13797 on: April 30, 2013, 01:06:57 pm »

Just making sure.
((Well, Ivan slowly mutated into a demonic cicada from exposure to something, Faith gained her berserk capability from a hostile, Milno became symbiotic with sharkmist. I guess the reasoning is, if Flint gambles and wins, he might gain some sort of eldritch ability from exposure to this eldritch ecosystem.))
((I was thinking it more like that the human body is actually quite resilient. I was expecting stomach pains, diarrhea, strange feelings, allergic reaction but I was not expecting death. Unless that beetle had one of the compounds that are deadly to the human body even in extremely small amounts.))

((@Blue team: By the way, there's a slight chance I'll loose Internet access for the next couple of days, so if I don't post, I give permission to everyone on blue team to post an action for me. Just in case the giant killer bees attack.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13798 on: April 30, 2013, 01:14:07 pm »

((Two words: Darwin Award.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13799 on: April 30, 2013, 05:00:32 pm »

((There is no award for the innmates, only SCIENCE! followed by painful death. And anyway, we have no idea what's in any of these things, so maybe it's a good idea to NOT eat them, incase they are infact loaded with poison?))
Pages: 1 ... 918 919 [920] 921 922 ... 1256