Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3939833 times)

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13755 on: April 25, 2013, 10:28:26 pm »

((Michael Alexander))
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13756 on: April 25, 2013, 10:41:15 pm »

Blue Team

Keep going and mapping. Make sure to keep tossing out rocks in front of us to check for stuff we can't see.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13757 on: April 25, 2013, 11:22:36 pm »

follow Lars and assist his experimentation by poking the gel with my melted rod
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:00:32 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13758 on: April 26, 2013, 12:33:58 am »

((Michael Alexander))
((Ask Prosperus, RadioControlled, or Pyrodesu. They're the ones giving orders.

But seriously, just go with Mesk and then join Lucas in the mapping. Those are pretty much the orders.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13759 on: April 26, 2013, 10:22:56 am »

"Did anyone bring a stick?"

Stand back and throw a rock in.  If nothing horrible happens, throw one in from up close.  If still nothing horrible happens, hold a rock and dip it in.  Observe.  If nothing horrible still happens, collect a sample of gel and label it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13760 on: April 26, 2013, 10:24:27 am »

((Assuming it won't dissolve our suits, we could always just walk into the gel and explore the bottom of it if we're feeling adventurous.  Might be best to let the lab look at a sample of it first, though.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13761 on: April 26, 2013, 11:07:41 am »

Go with mesk
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13762 on: April 26, 2013, 11:58:35 am »

"Ooookay. Definitely not what I was expecting. But very curious." Anton opens a channel to Base team and Red Leader XO Simus, with his helmetcam's video feed. "Base, XO, are you seeing this? I have encountered some lifeforms deeper inside the Flatlands. Given the area's nature and the fact that some drones were lost here, I suspect that these creatures may feed off certain types of energy. I will maintain my distance from these, and try to find a path deeper in that doesn't intersect their habitat."

Steer clear of the lifeforms, maintain a distance of at least two to three hundred meters from them at all times. Go east, try to find a patch of flatland unoccupied by the creatures that leads deeper towards the anomaly center.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13763 on: April 26, 2013, 01:53:11 pm »

"Given the area's nature and the fact that some drones were lost here, I suspect that these creatures may feed off certain types of energy. I will maintain my distance from these, and try to find a path deeper in that doesn't intersect their habitat."
((Actually, the drones were destroyed by the skylights. It seems like their laser rangefinders did not understood them as dangerous corporeal objects so they flew straight through them and were probably incinerated or whatever those lights do to things. Here are my notes on that sector if you're interested:))
Spoiler: Sector 2 (click to show/hide)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13764 on: April 26, 2013, 02:15:54 pm »

((The long metal pole should become a standard issue loadout on these ventures into the complete unknown.  So many things to poke with sticks, and not enough sticks!))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13765 on: April 26, 2013, 03:24:24 pm »

((I believe it is standard equipment. At least when people asked him about our equipment me mentioned it as one along with several days supplies and our guns and exoskeletons. So if you want a long pole, you can assume yourself to have one.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13766 on: April 27, 2013, 06:59:46 pm »

Keep an eye out for those flying things.
Well, assuming you followed Lars out of the towers and on over to sector 19, you don't see anything flying around out here, at least nowhere near by.

((Where are you moving Piecewise? Leaving Las Vegas?

I love the flat zone stuff. And that sea is kinda freaky. Plus, the towers breed so many questions. And Life! I wonder what the records are of other expeditions on the planetoids. Some data from other expeditions would be really helpful, as we wouldn't want to be exploring the same old stuff would we? Then our data would be useless. Also, still want pictures.))

Blue Team

Yeah, I'm out of my depth here. Starting to feel slightly uncomfortable.

Continue mapping out the other side of black towers with my team. Still waiting for a response from Zephyris.
(Moving around inside the city. New house in a different part of town.)

Map mapple map. Hope you're not waiting for me to write a response from him . Probably not.

"And now you know.  Barring any other requests, I'm heading home."
Head home.
"Hope none of you wanted a ride home. Or medical attention. Because now ya got neither. Later bitches."

You fly your ass home and land the shuttle out near the hanger.

"Now then...what the heck am I gonna do here?"

Vich: "Sorry. It kinda sounded like..uh..nevermind. I..think we got that sorted out at last. Do you have any other questions?"

Follow Bishop. Help out with mapping. Do something useful!
You stick close to Bishop, but when it comes to doing something useful, that might be hard. A big group of people doing nothing but map doesn't really have much for it's individual components to do. Least not right now. Maybe when the giant flesh devouring bees come.

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 18

Get some more samples (make sure to take small samples from multiple towers so as not to compormise their structural integrity) and store them in containers and labeled "Black Tower Samples (Sector 18)" with "nutrition?" noted with smaller letters.
Remember whether or not I saw any cameras back at base. If not, contemplate whether or not I could use the mapping drones as cameras.
If I can see a "trunk" that seems to be without carvings, place a camera drone with its camera pointed at it, so that I can hopefully see what's carving them.
Mark some positions with spraypaint on a "trunk" and on the ground around it so that I can tell wether or not the towers expand upwards or sideways overtime. Note their positions and distance with my pole as a measure if I have no other method of measurement available.
Follow the leader.

((Basically thinking of putting some cameras around to document the wildlife here, National Geographic style.Many animals usually behave differently when humans are visible. ))
You place a drone down next to one of the sections that has no carving on it and set it to record using minimum battery and lower resolution. Gonna result in lots of footage to comb through, but hey, thats what people at base are for. That done, you mark the ground level of one tower near the camera and then play follow the leader, hardcore style.

"Shiit. These things have both the high ground, and the home field advantage. I would advise against angering them."

Continue watching "treetops" follow Lars.

((Turns out I do get Internet here.))
You follow Lars straight out of the towers and over to the purple expanse of gunk.

"Ah, death comes from below this time, rather then above. Good thing too, that was starting to make my neck sore, staring up like that."

Blue Team

Keep going and mapping. Make sure to keep tossing out rocks in front of us to check for stuff we can't see.
Map map map map

follow Lars and assist his experimentation by poking the gel with my melted rod
You naughty boy.

Yeah, you jab the gel with the rod a few times. The film over the top is quite tough and resistant, it doesn't seem like you'll be able to pierce it unless you actually try to jam your hard rod into it's quivering, moist mass.

"Did anyone bring a stick?"

Stand back and throw a rock in.  If nothing horrible happens, throw one in from up close.  If still nothing horrible happens, hold a rock and dip it in.  Observe.  If nothing horrible still happens, collect a sample of gel and label it.
Rock one: Bounces on the surface a few times, then comes to a halt.
Rock the rest of them: Same deal, even when thrown quite hard.
Sampling attempt: Your container kind of just skids around on the surface, deforming it but not letting you get any of the stuff into the container.

Go with mesk
You take the mesk train back to the main base. Woo woo.

"Ooookay. Definitely not what I was expecting. But very curious." Anton opens a channel to Base team and Red Leader XO Simus, with his helmetcam's video feed. "Base, XO, are you seeing this? I have encountered some lifeforms deeper inside the Flatlands. Given the area's nature and the fact that some drones were lost here, I suspect that these creatures may feed off certain types of energy. I will maintain my distance from these, and try to find a path deeper in that doesn't intersect their habitat."

Steer clear of the lifeforms, maintain a distance of at least two to three hundred meters from them at all times. Go east, try to find a patch of flatland unoccupied by the creatures that leads deeper towards the anomaly center.
You coast toward the east, trying to find an unoccupied place but it all seems...well..occupied. There's no straight empty corridor without creatures, and from what you can tell, the area doesn't really have a specific center either. It's rather oddly shaped really, not like the blue radiation zone; which seems very geometric.

map
http://i.imgur.com/WSjNSma.png

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13767 on: April 27, 2013, 07:23:09 pm »

"Hrmmm. I wonder if the drones are waterproof."

Poke the film with the handle of my shovel, gradually increasing pressure until it breaks.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13768 on: April 27, 2013, 09:42:22 pm »

Red Team
"Let's move out a bit, but be careful."

Map around the arc chasm, keeping an eye out for any other anomalies.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 03:14:42 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13769 on: April 27, 2013, 09:48:17 pm »

"Time to head to the volcanic zone"
Head to the volcanic zone using the extra resistant containers to sample the liquid from both the surface and bottom (or as far down as I can get) if it is under one of or both of these categories;
   -There are lifeforms heading towards it or dont appear to have recently "grazed"
   -A lifeform is leaving the pool or is currently passing through it
Pages: 1 ... 916 917 [918] 919 920 ... 1256