Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3941254 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Missile 9: Hot Potato
« Reply #13605 on: April 17, 2013, 09:28:17 am »

((I'd recommend not going over any anomalies. Go between 07 and 02, landing in 18 instead of 19. Then you'll converge on 12, and hopefully find a decent route between the molten area and the gravity wells for the trip back.

As for cannibalizing rocket bikes - the general idea was for the MPV to largely remain an MPV. Strap some drones to it, rig them to follow basic commands like turn left/right, thrust forward/back/left/right, and the MPV will become slippy-slidey-thermophage-world capable. Plus not taking apart any of the few things we could take back to the Sword to properly cannibalize into jetpacks later, is kind of high on my list. :P ))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13606 on: April 17, 2013, 10:34:21 am »

"Thats what I was saying was good. Also dont mess around with alien artifacts. You might get vaporised or possesed. I saw both happen during Mission 7."

GET TO DA CHOPPA.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 11:46:57 am by Tavik Toth »

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13607 on: April 17, 2013, 11:49:31 am »

Zephyris - Team Blue

Grab supplies for 3 days. Board the shuttle.
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13608 on: April 17, 2013, 02:11:02 pm »

Team Red
Team Red

((And just to avoid a misunderstanding, I'm not annoyed. I understand that with "normal rock" he means "not valuable, interesting or relevant to the mission in any way". I don't expect piecewise to study planetary geology just to sate our curiosity.))

((Ah. You said you'd be all over him for it so I assumed... Ah, forget it.))

((You also have to account for who's looking at a rock. Somebody who is searching for "grass" might get a different response than a scientist or somebody with high intuition.

Also, that's one of the things I really like about this game. Having science that doesn't just "move at the speed of the plot," but actually has to more or less work. It's like being beta testers in a science fiction game. If somebody creates something based on this, they will avoid many of the "bugs" that are very frequent in science fiction.))

((Decently high Intuition, science/engineering background... That, and there was some information I explicitly requested that I did not receive (most notably flame colour resulting from the samples being torched, it might've allowed me to make a tentative elemental composition assessment.). But, it's of little consequence.

@Turn: I don't expect massive in-depth stuff, but that was very good. Detail is always good, so long as it does not detract. Also, did the blue rocks react to the bases, Potassium Chlorate, Acetone, or the Potassium Rhodizonate indicator in any way?))

Record results on the SCIENCE!! Datapad, then give it, my Phase Suit, and my rockets to Miyamoto for safekeeping. Then, get in Gilgamesh.

All right, red team, Miyamoto, I've concluded my experiments for now and we're heading out. Our first stop is that large chunk of blue mineral that tried to embed itself in the base. I will be examining it personally, the rest of you, take a look around, but don't get too close to me in case that thing is still as 'hot' as it was. I don't want any of you getting any more exposure than needed. It shouldn't take too long, so we'll be heading to the volcanic area right after. Don't bring anything you don't want incinerated, if I recall, it was reported that the air temperature there was enough to destroy most of that team's stuff.

Examine blue mineral hunk up-close and personal, using all of Gilgamesh's viewing options.

You wander out to the radioactive whatever it is in Miyamoto's battle suit and stop a few feet away from it. It's still throwing off a lot of radiation, but the suit and your body are handling it easily enough. You cycle the vision modes on the suit. Thermal reveals that it's hot, which really isn't a surprise considering all the radiation leaking out of the thing. Motion reveals it's either vibrating slightly or it's causing minor distortion in the thin amounts of atmosphere around here. X-ray can't see inside it and the rest are equally unhelpful.

Actually, that is a good idea, Miyamoto. Looks like I've got Lukas on my team, so he can take the others with him to the volcanic zone while I study the artifact.

Red Team, minor change of plan, you're all going to go ahead of me. We know pretty much all we need to about the zone around the base, except for the artifact I will be studying, so Lukas will take the rest of you on ahead to the volcanic zone.

Quote from: To Lukas
Congratulations, you've just been promoted, lieutenant.

Team Red - Lukas

"Allright folks. You heard the man. Let's keep going.

Try to look impressive and lead team members to volcanic zone

You tramp on out to the edge of the volcanic area, leading anyone who will follow you.

((@piecewise: I meant that Anton would take the container with bluerad shards with him on the mission, rather than deplete the (admittedly abundant) stores of the lab.))

Anton Chernozorov - Red Team Mechanic - in the Garage.

"Hm. All ready to go, it seems. Should probably take it out for a test-drive... ooor leave it to someone who knows how to drive it, rather than how it works. Right. A few more checkups, then..."

Check that the MPV is charged, attach the trailer and check that it is secure.

Something in Anton's head suddenly clicks, his memory of Vich's request for skates overlapping with the schematic of the MPV and the experiments he planned with the mapping drones. Zero friction... hard to steer... reactive propulsion... Anton snaps his metallic fingers. "Hovercraft."

Take a mapping drone, override its controls to be fully manual. Keep the drone held (keep clear of the thrusters), and gauge how much force a drone can exert. Check for how long can a drone use its thrusters, and whether it can be linked to an external fuel tank for refills. Get an estimate of how much an MPV and two people in suits would weigh.

Get the datapad and start calculating how much operating time, acceleration and maneuverability it could be possible to attain on a frictionless surface with the MPV, using two to four mapping drones as propulsion.

Well the Trailer is all hitched up and the MPV is all charged, but your plans for a hovercraft are for naught. The drones aren't very powerful, and even with the bottom completely coated in them, they would just barely be able to hold up the trailer when it's empty. And they wouldn't be able to do it for long.

And on a truly frictionless surface you could get the MPV up to pretty good speeds using mapping drones, since there would be no resistance to over come. Although stopping might prove a problem...

Be ready to go, but leave meltable gear outside volcanic zone.
You follow Lukas out to the edge of the volcanic zone and set your nutrient pack down somewhere it won't get hurt or melted.

"Be a good boy. Papa will be back soon."

Team green

"Thats what I was saying was good."

Jack then hears Lars' message: "Got to go. Team is about to leave."

GET TO DA CHOPPA.
Team Steve Green

((Yeah, pretty sure he said it was a clean copy.  Unless the Word of Mod says otherwise, I'm going to act as such.))

Everyone else was getting loaded up, so it was time to do so himself.  Lars messaged his team.  "Team, let us go forth under the auspices of Steve.  May his light guide his path, and us remain ever in the favor of Pathmas."

Get to da shuttle.  Drag along uncooperative teammates.

Auron kell - team green

get in the shuttle, follow lars when we land

Everyone on green team gets themselves to the choppa!

[GREEN TEAM]

"Hrmm. High carbon content, probably too brittle to use for any tool applications without reducing the carbon. Casting should be possible, but I don't think we have the facilities."

Relay findings to Simus, and check inventory.
Except for their resident pirate, who is too busy doing metal work and IM'ing.

Inventory as of now:
Laser rifle
Gauss rifle, 2 magazines
The Cube (In barracks, I assume)

Lars comes and drags you onto the ship a few moments after you send that message to simus.

Blue team

Blue Team:

((I love Anton. The only problem with tying it to the fuel is that we won't really be ice-skating for fun. Also, it's not frictionless, it's just got less friction than ice.

Also, we could get a sledge, attach a rope to a drone, and have it drag us after it. Meaning, we use the drone instead of horses. Bonus points if it looks like an actual 19th century sledge and we teach the drones to respond to whips.))

Go get my usual inventory for expeditions and go to the shuttle.

"Might I propose that whosever flying this thing takes it up, flyes it a hundred meter, and lands it before we board it? It's not exactly asking for much, but I'd like to know at least that it can go up and land safely before I board it."

(after hearing what Flint said) "We could also send a couple drones ahead of the shuttle at the same altitude, so if there's any anomalies ahead, we'd detect them."

Continue talking with Tavic Toth in alternative dimension. i.e.: waiting for his responce.

Flint Westwood - Blue Squad - Garage

((@Pyro: I thought "be all over someone" meant "pressure someone" but after a quick internet search I found out that it can mean anything from being annoyed with somebody to make sexual advances to somebody so, poor choice of words there.))

Useless piece of crap. That thing doesn't know a thing. Or maybe it's just not talking to me.

@Miyamoto:"Hey, I just had a little chat with ALVIN. He told me he had information about how this base was constructed but then refused to reveal anything. Could you try asking it yourself when you have the time? Maybe it can only reveal certain info to the team leader or maybe some info can only be obtained from the computer in your personal quarters."

Get my suit, weapons and one of those rods and get to da choppa.

Blue team:

Wait for the rest of the team in the shuttle.

Zephyris - Team Blue

Grab supplies for 3 days. Board the shuttle.

Everyone, after much hemming and Hawing about, gathering supplies and iron rods and various crap, gets to the coppa an gets ready to get choppa'd.

Team base

Canary base team.

Take Simus' stuff and stuff it in my quarters. Be sure to lock the door behind me. Then go help her get acquainted with my suit.

"By the way Simus, if you want you could split your team up for easier working. Don't say you have to, you can see what's best once you're in the field. Just saying."
You put simus' junk in your room and head back to get her acquainted with the suit but she's already off and away, doing science. Huh.

Team I'm not sure where you're supposed to go.

"So we're moving out? gimme a minute I've got to get some stuff"
Grab high heat resistance containers and multiple small high heat resistance containers that can store liquid also switch laser rifle for a Gauss rifle if possible along with a shovel like instrument and bucket. Then leave with team and gather samples as before, if heat resistant containers are unavailable when entering volcanic zone leave containers outside to avoid damage.
The standard containers can take the heat of the zone,  but not the combined weight of molten iron and the heat. They'll break. You find a few that are more sturdy, but you're not sure if they're able to stand the heat. You take a few of each. The armory is locked so you're no good on switching, but you get a shovel and a bucket. Not sure they'll survive the heat, but oh well. You pile into the choppa with everyone else.

[Home Team Medic Cyan Team Pilot - Mesk]

Check fuel levels and get the shuttle prepped for takeoff while I wait for the two teams to get in.
You've got about half fuel -no one bothered to refuel the thing after it landed- but that should be more then enough for what you need to do, as long as you don't dawdle. Beyond that, everything else is in the green and you're ready to go.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13609 on: April 17, 2013, 02:28:29 pm »

((Fuel, schmuel.  That's never been a problem before, right?))

Teem Grean

Everyone was on board.  Just the perfect time for a motivation sermon!  "Brothers and sisters of the HMRC, we are gathered here this day to venture forth into the unknown, bearing the Light of Steve!  We shall glorify his name and do his bidding!"

Deliver impromptu sermon.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 08:41:13 pm by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13610 on: April 17, 2013, 02:46:00 pm »

Wait for shuttle to take off.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13611 on: April 17, 2013, 03:16:31 pm »

Wait for a test ride and a response what route were going to be flying and whether we should put drones in front of the shuttle. Then board and take off.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13612 on: April 17, 2013, 03:23:14 pm »

"Yeah, no.  First we refuel, then we leave."
Fill up the tank before taking off.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13613 on: April 17, 2013, 03:28:49 pm »

((If we find a zone filled with giant mouths, can we call it an anomnomnomaly?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13614 on: April 17, 2013, 03:51:49 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Waiting inside "Mesk's Bucket"

((Fuel, schmuel.  That's never been a problem before, right?))
((Damn right! And if we do run out of fuel, we can always build a rocket out of RCS thrusters!))

Whistle a merry tune while waiting.

Remember whether or not I could contact the base without delay when I the motion anomalies were between me and the base. If there was no delay, wonder how this could be.

EDIT:Forgot to write my squad's colour.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:21:05 pm by Parisbre56 »

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13615 on: April 17, 2013, 06:05:54 pm »

"So uh what now?"

Send message to team, and then go to where I am needed
Quote from: Message to Red Team

So uh where am I meant to be right now exactly?

So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13616 on: April 17, 2013, 07:28:08 pm »

Red Team

((Sean, you're not Red Team anymore. Red is me, Prosperous, Doomblade, and Corsair.))

Visually, is it identical to the beads in all but size? Consider exactly what kind of materiel I'm dealing with here, as an amorphous crystalline solid is an oxymoron, and its incredible properties. Also consider applications of such a material.

Miyamoto, this suit is very nice. I might consider getting one of my own, and possibly getting a synthfelsh body that would fit within. Somehow I doubt that, if the standard synthfelsh is similar to Jim but with only two arms, I would be able to use one of these, but a smaller one might allow for it.

Red Team, I will be joining you in a while. Take whatever samples you might want to before I get there, because I think those bioforms deserve a more close-up study, and I don't want to attempt that until we're all prepared for it.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13617 on: April 17, 2013, 09:06:12 pm »

"Dammit Lars, I can walk on my own you know. No need to drag me everywhere.

Help the shuttle crew with any last minute checks.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13618 on: April 17, 2013, 09:21:36 pm »

sing "the final countdown" at the top of my lungs and use my machete as an air guitar while we wait for take off.
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13619 on: April 17, 2013, 11:41:03 pm »

Keep an eye on Mesk to make sure he doesn't blow anything up. Stop him if he's about to do something dangerous/stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 906 907 [908] 909 910 ... 1256