Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945615 times)

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #13140 on: March 24, 2013, 01:22:31 am »

((
Spoiler: Map Update (click to show/hide)
))

"Oh. Well, just splendid. Nothing to it then, I guess."

Activate suit lamps. Briefly contemplate if anything in the garage can be adversely affected by the radiation - like the mapping drones. If they could be, run to grab as many can be easily carried (likely no more than a few), and get down to Life Support.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13141 on: March 24, 2013, 11:02:21 am »

Keep going, mapping the edge of the anomalous zone as we go. Start throwing rocks around, and also switch between my various vision modes continuously.

"Is literally every square meter of this rock filled with physics-defying nonsense? It seems we'll have our hands quite full this year."

((Very nice map Sean, I'm sure it'll come in handy.))
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:04:34 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13142 on: March 24, 2013, 02:06:46 pm »

Moar Mapping
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13143 on: March 24, 2013, 03:43:11 pm »

Follow the group.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13144 on: March 24, 2013, 07:10:19 pm »

Team Blue
Moar Mapping
Bishop stands still and quiet for a bit as he looks at the weird shit going on before speaking.

"Well... That's unexpected. Never seen something like that before... Well, let's keep moving around the edge of it. We got lost time to make up for."

Keep mapping in this direction and make adjustments to the map as we go, with notes on what seems to be the current effect of the anomalies.
Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

Keep on mapping the anomaly towards sector 2.

"I'll follow the anomaly a bit inside the other zone. I bet it ends soon. Just want to see where."

((Oh well, looks like I overreacted. I thought the anomaly was much larger. Too bad nobody will be there to watch it sink in the crater. Would be a beautiful (and interesting) sight.

EDIT: Oh, and I propose the symbols -↑ and -↓ for the newly explored zones in Sean's map.))
"What. The. Pancakes. I... can get the time, but now THIS?! Okay, this officially beats that time we had to face the HMRC over one funky mountain. Guess it shows how new I am here. We'd better plan really well how we're going to investigate this when we get back.

How is the base doing? Not obliterated yet? Do we have any cameras that will be filming the event?"

Continue mapping, I suppose, over the other side of the curve.

The team continues mapping, following the curve of the distortion until it finally intersects with the flatzone that Red team was mapping earlier. To follow it further in this direction means heading into the flat lands. It's that, or trudging back along the edge of the fluctuations and mapping the other way.

Everyone is feeling quite tired, even bishop and flint and their exoskeletons. The team has been mapping for going on 12 hours and has walked almost twice that many miles.

Team Green

continue following lars
Keep following Lars.

"Wonder if this have a hollow core or something. Especially if sole of this is artifical."
"Fuck it good enough. It'll give the labcoats something to do when we get back."

Follow Lars, scan, don't die to anomaly.
"May Algis fold his hands over those at the base.  Pathmas be in their favor."

Continue on with the mapping.

Team green continues doing what team green does best: walk in a straight line and get mildly irradiated. They map out a whole other side of the anomaly, almost completely mapping it's exterior edge.  But they're feeling tired, and mildly ill. All this time being exposed, even to minor radiation is having an effect. 

Team Red

Keep going, mapping the edge of the anomalous zone as we go. Start throwing rocks around, and also switch between my various vision modes continuously.

"Is literally every square meter of this rock filled with physics-defying nonsense? It seems we'll have our hands quite full this year."

((Very nice map Sean, I'm sure it'll come in handy.))
"Bah silly illusions obviously... well hopefully"
Stride forwards using my multi-coloured-rock thrower as guidance
Follow the group.
The team continues forward, unfazed by the strange sights around them. They make it beyond whatever is causing the mirror blindness, but something else comes to pass. what starts a strange spots of white in the edges of their vision swells quickly into a blinding white haze that blots out all sight. The entire team is now blinded.

Team Irradiated

((
Spoiler: Map Update (click to show/hide)
))

"Oh. Well, just splendid. Nothing to it then, I guess."

Activate suit lamps. Briefly contemplate if anything in the garage can be adversely affected by the radiation - like the mapping drones. If they could be, run to grab as many can be easily carried (likely no more than a few), and get down to Life Support.

Anton, get down here before you're fried. ALVIN's shut down the stuff that'd be effected and tells me that nothing terrible will happen to the base, now get down here where you're shielded from the radiation.

Text ALVIN:

Is this chamber is proof against the radiation levels from the anomaly, and can you tell us when the radiation levels die down to acceptable standards?

Anton slides down the ladder all the way to the AI core and watches as the lights lining the shaft turn off one at a time.

ABOVE GROUND SYSTEM SHUTDOWN COMPLETE. TIME TILL ANOMALY FLY BY: 3 MINUTES, 48 SECONDS.

Anton, Simus and mesk sit quietly in the tomb of the AI core, waiting as the timer counts down. At 30 seconds a very faint blue glow is visible up at the top of the shaft. At 15, saint elmo's fire begins crackling across the upper rungs of the ladder and the Geiger counter spikes intermittently. At zero the Geiger counter is releasing nothing but a saturated hum and electrical discharge is playing down the length of the later and raising the hair on everone's necks-except for simus, of course.  Somewhere high above them there is a loud crushing noise and violent suction that get cut off with a pneumatic hiss. 

HULL BREACH. SEALING.

And the it is quiet and the effects subside. The Geiger counter returns to normal background levels and everyone breathes a sigh of relief.

Map:
http://i.imgur.com/AAqHz5N.png

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13145 on: March 24, 2013, 07:23:32 pm »

ALVIN, reactivate the base and give me a damage report.

Head up and see what may or may not have been broken. When communications are back online, radio to all team members:

This is Canary Base, the anomaly has passed.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13146 on: March 24, 2013, 07:27:22 pm »

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

Upon hearing the transmission from the base, Flint made a sigh of relief. "Base team, everything OK back there? You need help?" He looked towards the direction of the base nervously. I hope they're all OK.

Help Vich with my slingshot. If the experiment reveals that the zones are exclusive, send a mapping drone to map the edge of the flat zone (by that I mean reveal every hex that should be labeled edge of flat zone while flying safely inside the edge of the flat zone). If it can't go that far, the zones aren't exclusive or if there's any other problem with the previous action simply send the automapping drone two hexes to the left (one hex left of the edge) and back. Rest and eat while waiting for the drone to return.

((Notes updated. If you look at the mapping statistics, you will now see that we have mapped approximately 5% of our assigned area in a single day. Good job everybody. Keep this up and we'll get a lot of tokens.))
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:26:38 pm by Parisbre56 »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13147 on: March 24, 2013, 07:52:13 pm »

"Good to know you're all right. I trust you'll share the details with us later."

"Flint, I wouldn't send that drone if I were you. I already got yelled at from pretty much everyone in the command chain for proposing further experimentation. I would at least discuss it with Bishop, and explain what exactly you're trying to accomplish before doing something like that. From my side, I would first like to understand is if these anomalies encroach upon one another, or if they are exclusive. If the flat land, and the temporal (or whatever the heck it is) anomalies can coexist, it makes our jobs that much harder.

Bishop, should we take a rest? And where should we head next?"

Try to determine if the anomalies are exclusive or not by throwing rocks. If Bishop agrees, take a rest. Eat.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 07:58:26 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13148 on: March 24, 2013, 08:16:35 pm »

The base's hull got breached somehow, but ALVIN got that sealed off rather fast, and all of the electronics were shut down, so they aren't too badly damaged by the object's charged nature, one would hope. No idea about physical damage apart from the fact that something broke an outer wall. Also, the other two here probably got a decent dose of radiation despite the fact that we were so far underground, but it's probably no worse than Team Green.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13149 on: March 24, 2013, 08:17:11 pm »

map the last few hexes then head back to where lars is at, once there have a snack and hit the sack
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 09:24:03 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13150 on: March 24, 2013, 08:46:07 pm »

"Right. I vote we head back, or move onto another zone, because I don't want to start glowing in the dark."

Follow Lars, scan, don't die.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #13151 on: March 24, 2013, 09:10:01 pm »

Lars nodded.  "We've been exposed enough, but it's too far to head back now.  Let's head east and get out of the radiation.  We'll stop and back up if we hit anything weird.  May Algis shield our travels."

Head east to bighex boundary or a bit over to get out of minor radiation.  Camp for the night.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13152 on: March 24, 2013, 09:24:33 pm »

"I think I'll be ok, but I'm not sure about Anton.  I'll check up on you once everything's back up, alright?"
Suit up, then head back up slowly while checking radiation levels.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13153 on: March 24, 2013, 10:49:14 pm »

"Yeah, everyone take a load off. I'll talk with Simus and Miya and see what we should do next." Bishop says while looking for a comfortable spot. Eventually he sits down and radios both Simus and Miyamoto.

"Hey guys, we've followed our anomalies and they seem to intersect with the flat lands that red team found earlier. It's some pretty weird shit, I can tell you that, but we need to figure out where we are going next and about something else too. Since we are taking a break, I was wondering if it's alright with you guys to send out a drone into the flat zone, and when it comes back and our break is over, we'll head back the way we came and map the other end of the anomalies.

What do you guys think?"

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13154 on: March 24, 2013, 11:03:03 pm »

Here's my baseline for it: If your team is on the move, don't be dallying about doing in-depth study. If you are all on break, then go ahead and send a drone or two if you want. In other words, I approve of what you intend to do.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 11:09:20 pm by PyroDesu »
Pages: 1 ... 875 876 [877] 878 879 ... 1256