Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3946120 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #13065 on: March 21, 2013, 04:17:30 am »

"Wait, Flint... WHAT?! Are you drunk or something?! Do you need a therapy? Or is it some elaborate joke I did not get? I haven't really socialized much since I lost my vision and until I got here, so I may be a little off. But....WHAT??"

"Why? Don't you like the name kinglet for the drone? Oh, you mean the 'fly my pretties' thing. It's from one of my movies, 'The Warlock of Boz'." ((Actually, even though this quote is usually attributed to Wizard of Oz, the actual line was 'Fly! Fly! Fly!' thus making the previous quote a case of memetic mutation. And now I've burdened your mind with another useless factoid *evil maniac laughter*.)) "Yeah, the mutant witch has been cornered by our brave heroes in her tower, so she sends out her genetically modified avian abominations to stall them while she escapes. Really depressing movie if you ask me. Cyborg in a futile search for a soul, human-lion hybrid abomination forced into slavery and death..." *sigh*

"And to answer your questions, just because I'm crazy, doesn't mean I need therapy. And I only get drunk on my spare time, never while on a mission."

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #13066 on: March 21, 2013, 04:26:41 am »

Team Red - Lukas

Keep following Miyamoto
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13067 on: March 21, 2013, 06:27:23 am »

Team Red- Denzel

Follow the team.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13068 on: March 21, 2013, 07:11:37 am »

Zephyris Haizea - Team Blue - Sector 3

To Team: "Uhh..guys? I think I found a zone that seems rather normal. As in not incredible slow or fast."

Try to mark the ground before the normal-speed-area in any way like drawling lines in the sand or laying out elaborate patterns with rocks or whatever. Then go join Bishop and take a break. Write down our findings on my datapad while eating/drinking.
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13069 on: March 21, 2013, 07:24:31 am »

Rest, and examine the anomaly with weirdvision again.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13070 on: March 21, 2013, 09:02:13 am »

To Team: "Uhh..guys? I think I found a zone that seems rather normal. As in not incredible slow or fast."

Try to mark the ground before the normal-speed-area in any way like drawling lines in the sand or laying out elaborate patterns with rocks or whatever. Then go join Bishop and take a break. Write down our findings on my datapad while eating/drinking.
To Zephyris: "It's not a zone, Zephyris, it's just a normal area. Just like the one we are right now. I know it can seem weird to throw a rock and not hit an anomaly, but it does happen sometimes. It means you reached the edge of the anomaly. A normal zone. (sign)

To Flint: "Oh, riiiight. You're an actor. I remember it came up before. Sorry, it was partially "fly my pretties," but I was actually more concerned about the totally random laughter. In my experience, when somebody starts to laught maniacally, something is really really wrong. But I suppose that wasn't HMRC, was it. Although this place isn't that bad so far...

But anyway, I've been wondering, since you're an actor. Did you read a script, or did you make your own lines? Just a question I ask when I meet actors. And for that matter, what roles did you play?"

Since it was break time, Vich decided to engage in some small talk. To tell the truth, he was glad he bought an exo-skeleton. His age and his lack of physical exercise in his latter years showed, and even with the exoskeleton his muscles cramped. But with any luck and several hiking trips, and it would get better as the time goes on.
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13071 on: March 21, 2013, 10:35:49 am »

"Oh, you found the edge of the distortion? Great, we'll check it out in a bit after our break and a little experiment that I have in mind."

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13072 on: March 21, 2013, 11:19:18 am »

"Oh, now that you mention it. Yeah, an area; not a zone. That's right."
"I'm glad he pointed that out, I'm sure no one would have understood otherwise.."
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13073 on: March 21, 2013, 11:33:34 am »

Jack Hansan-Team GREEN-Sector 6
Rest abit and have a bit of food then follow lars again.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 04:54:22 pm by Tavik Toth »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13074 on: March 21, 2013, 01:02:44 pm »

"But anyway, I've been wondering, since you're an actor. Did you read a script, or did you make your own lines? Just a question I ask when I meet actors. And for that matter, what roles did you play?"
" 'When I meet actors'? You've met many? Are you a man of the trade, Foureyes?

Well, anyway, I did anything really. Horror films, science fiction films, historical films, remakes of old movies, romantic films, presented game shows... But mostly action movies. You see, there was a demand for propaganda films, and what better propaganda films than movies full of shooting heretics aliens and mutants working for the devil, trying to destroy the world? Kept the population happy and passed the messages the theocracy wanted.

I began my career making erm... let's just say those were films violating the government's law for decency. The producer then managed to get enough money to get a permit and go legal and I starred in his first real film, "They came from intergalactic space!". Really imaginative title, right? he he he. And after that I got an agent and I never stopped working. I was always in a film or a TV show or something else, some times all of them at once. I didn't care whether I was the hero or the villain, the lead or making a guest appearance.

When filming there wasn't usually enough leeway for me to change lines, mostly because my lines consisted of 'There's no room in this town for an abomination like you.' or other such cliches and one-liners. However I did a pretty good job when speaking in public or in the rare occasion I acted in theater. People always told me my speeches were very moving. But I guess you can judge that for yourself, if the need or desire ever exists for a speech or small improvisation."

((And I was going for less of an evil maniac laugh and more of a evil witch laugh.))

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13075 on: March 21, 2013, 03:10:45 pm »

Send following to the other teams:

Remember, we're only doing a quick reconnaissance run. We will send follow-up teams after we have an idea of what's out there, so keep going and mark anything you find on the map.

Rest for half an hour, drink something, then keep going along the path toward hex 7.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #13076 on: March 21, 2013, 05:14:20 pm »

Here's the new map. I suggest just downloading it to look at it, since it is now massive and ugly but functional. There are little notes on all the hexes that have been explored, if they have anything in them, at least.
http://i.imgur.com/KwB8x4I.png

(note, this is up to date with the last post, not this one)

Taem Bue

"It's time for a bit of a break guys. Tell the cameras your thoughts about this weird shit and have something to eat and drink if you want while you rest. We'll get moving again in 20 minutes."

Find a good spot away from the distortion and take a break. Check the map for how far we've mapped in this zone and have a guess at what general shape the distortion might have. See if I can see anything weird in the distortion from here too.

You sit down and look at the map. It's hard to tell exactly what the shape of the distortion is since you've really only mapped one edge of it. But it seems have a fairly straight edge, not a gradient or a wavering line. You can't see anything weird about the distortion from here; at least nothing beyond the line of hovering rocks.

Flint Westwood - Blue squad - Sector 3

((I've got to agree with Sean on that one. I have given him a background that justifies a bit of science knowledge so that it seems OK in character to say some things, like the time-gravity correlation, but making a small speech about conflicting hypotheses about alien anomalies seems a bit too much. Plus, it would feel like cheating. EDIT: And just so that there are no misunderstandings, I'm not saying that people speaking without speech skill are cheating. I'm saying that *I* would feel like *I'm* cheating myself, if that makes sense.

And, speech and charisma aren't useless. I would have never gotten that child drunk enough to sleep if it weren't for my charisma skill.))

"Kinglet 1 is in the air, I repeat, Kinglet 1 is in the air. Fly my pretties! Fly!" *evil witch laughter*

Throw some rocks sideways, so that they pass through both zones and see what happens (at least one going from the fast to the slow one, one going from the slow to the fast one and one hitting the boundary right in the middle). Send the drone to explore the fast zone. If the drone finishes up very quickly (or gets destroyed) move on to the normal zone and send a drone to explore that one too. EDIT2: Rest with Bishop while waiting for the second drone to finish.

You test the zones some more with your pebbles. The one from the fast zone to the slow zone hits the slowzone like a bullet into a brick wall, but doesn't show any signs of damage. The one from the slow into the fast...well it hasn't reached the fast yet.

Attempts to map the fast zone only result in you going from 4 drones to 3. The way it is destroyed is quite odd. It all works fine till the first thruster gets in, at which point it tears itself in half along the edge of the zone. But the momentum of the piece outside the zone continues to carry it into the zone for it to be torn apart again. The result is a drone that looks like it went through a meat slicing machine ending up in a heap on the ground inside the fast zone. Ok.

The normal area goes just fine, though you only send the drone a few feet in and back, just to make sure.

Vich: Team Blue

((And from mine side, to make it clear, I was giving advice to Parisbre on how to roleplay Flint. I didn't mean to antagonize Pyrodesu (if I did), I was just using it as an example. The thing is, I'm all for having the stats reflect your character's strengths and behaviors, but I'm just saying that it's okay if they don't, especially if it's not somebody trying to meta-game, but simply change his roleplaying focus a bit in the middle.
I now declare this conversation closed! (Like that ever works...)

Did we map out the anomaly from both sides or only one?))

"The amount it is slowed by doesn't really make sense here. I've tried to determine by how much the time is slowed, and the rock and the laser data just don't match. The rocks we throw take about half an hour to go in, and the laser takes less than a second. I didn't think much of it at first, but if you do the math, if the rock is reduced by as much as the light has to be reduced to go that slow, it should take decades to travel that distance, not half-an-hour. Sorry if I'm not making much sense. It doesn't make much sense to me either, so it's a bit hard to explain. We might want to research what could be causing this when we get back.

Wait, Flint... WHAT?! Are you drunk or something?! Do you need a therapy? Or is it some elaborate joke I did not get? I haven't really socialized much since I lost my vision and until I got here, so I may be a little off. But....WHAT??"

Only one side has been mapped out. What you see on the map is more the "boundary edge" of it. You know it starts in that area, but it's not clear where it ends.

You mark down the edge of the normal zone and go sit down with bishop and have a snack. You make sure to send a log of your observations back to base.

Tum Gern

((I try not to make Lars make too many logical leaps, given his 0 int, but I do sneak in a bit.  I rationalize his use of grandiose speech and big words through his background in public speaking.))

Lars held up his hand.  "Team, let us take a break.  This circuit shouldn't be too hard, but we shall take a twenty minute break, rest ourselves, and have a snack.  If you wish to test anything while you are here, feel free.  Please stay out of the danger, though."

Lars sits down and grabs a bit of a snack.  "May Steve bless our journey."

Rest for twenty minutes, then back to the path marking.
You sit down on a nice large rock outside of the radiation zone and have a snack. Your mind is filled with thoughts of nothing in particular.

Rest, and examine the anomaly with weirdvision again.
You sit down with Lars and take a look out at the zone with your faceplate up. You can see something quite bright glowing in near the center. Hard to tell what it is from this distance, but the math seems to be related to radiation and electricity, though you can only vaguely recognize it.

Rest abit and have a bit of food then follow lars again.

You snack with lars and rest your feet. You've probably walked 12 miles already. It's far more then you're used to walking.

Permission to futz with a drone sir?
I think i might be able to program the drone to fly directly above the center of the anomaly and record some images of whatever is there from a safe altitude above the radiation... the resolution is likely to be a bit iffy due to the necessary magnification but with a little enhancement we should get an idea of whats there.

write a new set of commands for the mapping drone telling it to fly over the radiation bubble and take sensor readings of whatever is there from several different magnifications before returning directly to its starting position.

If lars gives me permission, launch the drone and start writing a program that will enhance the resolution of any imagery and lidar data that the the drone returns with.

Problem: Drone doesn't have radiation monitoring sensors, so it doesn't know how high the "bubble" goes.

Also, you can't just use a program to make the cameras focus at a higher resolution. That would be a hardware upgrade.

Their feet rested and their thirst quenched, the team continues navigating around the radiation zone, mapping and marking as they do. They get another 3-4 miles marked out.

Tem Rud

Send following to the other teams:

Remember, we're only doing a quick reconnaissance run. We will send follow-up teams after we have an idea of what's out there, so keep going and mark anything you find on the map.

Rest for half an hour, drink something, then keep going along the path toward hex 7.

Team Red - Lukas

Keep following Miyamoto
Team Red- Denzel

Follow the team.
Follow team

After a bit of rest and food for those of the team who are still human and require such things, the team sets off again, walking along the edge of the flatzone toward Zone 7, mapping as they go. They reach the border of zone 7 and are somewhat surprised to find nothing acutely abnormal. The topology of zone 7 is quiet different, filled with sharp, tall rock spires, pits and odd angular formations of balanced stones, but it all looks natural enough, if odd, from the outskirts.

Team Safe and Tiny

Did nothing this turn.

How you guys liking your autonomy so far? Having fun?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #13077 on: March 21, 2013, 06:13:40 pm »

((I love the autonomy! We've managed to organize ourselves, so there are no problems there. And the planetoid! It's like somebody locked me in a toy store, I've only barely explored the first stall and found some of the most interesting toys in the world. If all the zones (and what lies beyond the border) are as interesting as the ones we've seen so far, I'm afraid we may not explore them all in time.))

@Simus:"Hey, Nest, you saw that? Looks like anything accelerating can't safely enter the fast zone. Could you remind everyone to watch their step, just in case?"

Keep mapping around the fast zone.Throw a chunk of rock in it about the size and mass of a mapping drone and see what happens. Check the drone for a way to acomplish this: throw it in the zone, have if activate once it touches the ground (or after some time passes) and then return to the border and shut down its thrusters before passing the border (I'm assuming drones can survive a small fall). If Bishop goes somewhere else follow him instead. EDIT2: And rocks, don't forget to throw rocks where I'm going.

"Anybody has any idea on how to send a mapping drone inside the fast zone? Maybe set it on a timer or something?"

((And if you guys back at base are bored you can always repair the morgue or refuel the shuttle or take a look at the vehicles or try to improve our equipment or prepare our equipment for the next expedition or try to build something helpful. No need to stare at screens all day.))

((Edit: And I just thought of a method we could have used to check the effects of zones on living things. We could have gotten the doctor to give us some guinea pigs that can survive in zero atmosphere (or alternatively sow some cute little spacesuits). Damn it, why didn't I think about this on ship?))
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 10:56:06 am by Parisbre56 »

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13078 on: March 21, 2013, 06:17:12 pm »

Uhhh i was tyring to make a program that would enhance picture quality of recorded images once i have them, not trying to upgrade the drone to have better res whilst recording.

get approximate distance from edge of radiation bubble to glowy object in centre, set drone to fly at a slightly higher altitude then that or its max altitude, whichever is lower.

Send drone to take scans, write data enhancement program while i wait for it to return
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13079 on: March 21, 2013, 06:17:34 pm »

"Can't say I am. But you know, actors have long been known to harbor, ahem... "independent tendencies". You guys make good informants, and are pretty important at making our cause, ahem... "sympathetic" to the populace. And your presence here does little to disprove that fact, doesn't it? And it was pretty often that my job was to work as a recruiter or a coordinator. So I used to run around quite a lot.

And heh, I loved propaganda movies. Was involved in a few myself. Not as an actor I mean. Mainly funding and organisation. For the other side of course, but same deal overall.

So I see you kept your workload high. Always liked those people. Always a pleasure to work with. It's great when you can rely on a person to be in one city in the morning, and visit three more before night. Very useful. But I can't say I've ever heard of you. Action movies... Might be the time differences. Or maybe you were simply too far away to matter. I can't say I had much time to watch movies, I too led a busy life.

So you say you were good at giving speeches. I can say that about myself too. Or was, at least. I'm severely out of practice. I'd be quite curious to hear your speeches sometime, but maybe later."

((I finished this post before the next turn, but I couldn't post it because I was without an internet connection. Let's assume it happened back then.

I will now be heavily editing this to catch up (sign). Scratch that. New post.))
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:32:11 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?
Pages: 1 ... 870 871 [872] 873 874 ... 1256