Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 868 869 [870] 871 872 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3946161 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #13035 on: March 20, 2013, 12:37:31 am »

Well, you're the one in the field, I'll take your word for it. All I know back here is what you guys tell me and what I can see from your suit cams, which isn't much. Anyways, there might be other fluctuations, so do keep an eye out, there might be an area where time is sped up that rapidly.

And do keep that drone idea in mind for when we send people to explore the anomalies in detail, but for now, let's just do the sweep, all right? Once we know the area that the anomaly encompasses, we can use the drones more efficiently.

To Anton:

When you're done with what you're doing right now, would you check over the base for any kind of boundary marking equipment, or stuff that's not terribly important that could be re-purposed as such?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 12:40:40 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #13036 on: March 20, 2013, 01:15:10 am »

((Well then))
"might as well go see that thing on the horizon"
Go to thing on the horizon and investigate (bring the rest of the team though)
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #13037 on: March 20, 2013, 02:31:34 am »

((As one who seems to have read a surprising amount of relevant literature, I would advise against sending living organisms into the time-warped zones. For instance, I'd like to point out that relatively complex machines with a lot of fluid exchange could suffer a different kind of damage during transition through extreme timerate gradients.))
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13038 on: March 20, 2013, 03:04:20 am »

((My eyes hurt from wearing glasses, so I probably need to change my prescription. I am tired. I need to prepare for school. My grandmother is dying or is already dead. So this math probably doesn't work on several levels.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((relatively complex machines with a lot of fluid exchange could suffer a different kind of damage during transition through extreme timerate gradients.))
((Explain?))
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 03:12:13 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13039 on: March 20, 2013, 03:38:01 am »

Lukas gazes at the smooth floor and then at the distant lights. "Should we proceed, boss? I have a bad feeling about this, but I am really curious about those lights."

"This is only a reconnaissance mission, so we'll just mark everything on the map and keep going. We will send another team to investigate it in detail."

Mark everything on the map, send data to Simus and keep going along the smooth path (not actually on said path/ground).

Quote from: To Canary base
Miyamoto here. We've found a strange change in the terrain, this surface looks like it isn't something natural, it's much colder than the surrounding ground.. We're also seeing structures in the distance that appear crystalline in nature, and some sort of light. We'll mark it on the map and keep going, we'll be sending a follow-up team to get to the bottom of things later.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #13040 on: March 20, 2013, 03:43:41 am »

Quote from: Mesk Vraite | Message to: Miyamoto de Bergerac
I see it.  The other teams have already run into anomalies as well.  Remind the teams that we're here to map, not investigate, so you all just need to mark the boundaries of any weird shit and nothing more.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13041 on: March 20, 2013, 05:25:20 am »

Radio to: Miyamoto:

All right, sounds interesting. At the least, not as immediately dangerous sounding as the anomalies the other teams have found, but they've been ordered to route around and mark the locations. Most interesting is Team Blue has found temporal distortions.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 07:32:33 am by PyroDesu »

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13042 on: March 20, 2013, 08:21:12 am »

((My eyes hurt from wearing glasses, so I probably need to change my prescription. I am tired. I need to prepare for school. My grandmother is dying or is already dead. So this math probably doesn't work on several levels.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
((relatively complex machines with a lot of fluid exchange could suffer a different kind of damage during transition through extreme timerate gradients.))
((Explain?))
((You've explained it quite well in your post, at least most of the concerns. Enter the anomaly quickly, don't linger on the edge, various associated blood flow problems. The only one you didn't quite touch upon is the one the novel I read explicitly warns against - don't let any of your extremities, especially your head, enter the anomaly at a different time from your heart, - especially transitioning into slower time, and/or at a sharp gradient. The heart is not brain-controlled, it has an automatic regulation mechanism. If your heart is in significantly faster time than your head, your blood pressure makes like a volcano and blows up your brain. So, essentially the safest way to enter the anomaly is to find out the shape of its edge, and have someone toss you at it, or jump into it, straightening out mid-jump to enter the anomaly flat against the border. But I don't suppose any of the HMRC people read the Magic:The Gathering novels, so you'll have to come up with an IC explanation. ;) ))

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13043 on: March 20, 2013, 08:39:35 am »

"If it is ionization, that could be the source of the interference. Might also explain the radiation, but I am not an expert on that. Anyway, any theories on the planetoid? Where it can from exetera."

Mark zone with spraypaint, follow Lars, watch for other anomalies with weirdvision.

((The human body is quite fragile. Any extreme difference, be it temperature, pressure, atmosphere, is dangerous. Why shouldn't it be the same for temporal?))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13044 on: March 20, 2013, 09:06:37 am »

((Actually, my conclusion was that you need to enter the anomaly slowly. That's because if you enter it quickly, the inertia of your bodyparts acting foward would increase greatly (by the amount the time is faster), and it would cause various sprains, strains, and maybe even worse. I don't actually know how bad it would be, but I think the main idea would be about entering the anomaly at a constant speed. I think I actually heard the thing about the heart and brain before from somewhere. I suppose entering the anomaly vertically or brain-first could work. You'd be a little oxygen deprived, but it shouldn't be that bad.

And I think we just dug a deep hole for ourselves. Remember that PW is an English Major? I don't think we'd have those consequences. So for IC explanation... I suppose we could just research the possible problems before entering the anomaly.

To kisame: The key word is "extreme". Another important thing, is that once you're inside, you're golden. The key moment is transition. If you manage to do that, which I've written about how, you'll be fine.))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13045 on: March 20, 2013, 09:09:12 am »

((How about we stop wondering how to get into a temporal anomaly, and just not go in it?))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13046 on: March 20, 2013, 09:41:24 am »

((PW may be an English major, rather than a temporal physics one, but he is quite capable of making believable dangers in the worlds he makes. His idea of the sharkmist was original enough for me to completely miss it despite being very plausible (I was a little locked into nanomachines to consider microbiology). So don't expect him to make dangers safer just because of his major - and don't forget that the temporal anomaly dangers I described, I took from a novel.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #13047 on: March 20, 2013, 10:20:08 am »

((The English Major may not quite understand the physics some of us go into when making stuff, but he certainly does know how to weaponize physics as the environment.))

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13048 on: March 20, 2013, 11:16:02 am »

((I'd also like to note that the brain doesn't react well to being "a little oxygen deprived"))

Help out with marking the anomalies and such
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13049 on: March 20, 2013, 11:37:07 am »

follow lars.
Pages: 1 ... 868 869 [870] 871 872 ... 1256