Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 862 863 [864] 865 866 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945679 times)

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #12945 on: March 15, 2013, 05:41:11 pm »

((Hey guys. Until Tuesday I am at a conference where they do not provide internet access (lame-ass b*tches). I have a wifi connection at my hotel, but I am not planning to spend a lot of time in my hotel room. You see, I am in New Orleans now and I was planning to spend every evening in a bar, preferably listening to jazz music. I will try to post actions as much as possible, but if necessary I suggest that my team leader (team Red) posts actions for me, or we could just assume that Lukas follows the red team around and uses extreme violence if necessary (that is about all he is good at, besides acting as an elevator).))

Go to sleep mode and join Red team as soon as they get ready to leave. Don't forget to pick up weapons from the barracks.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12946 on: March 15, 2013, 05:56:57 pm »

Interesting, if a bit stereotypical for my taste. But that's what you get with gods edited by countless generations. I should keep her in mind. Can't say I believe in gods, but they can be useful. But heh, I wonder if I could do better. (Note, everything said in this post is said using my inside voice, not outloud.)

Make a new page on the datapad (using it as a drawing tablet), and when writing on it, try to match the layout of the other pages of the pantheon. Make a new god:

??: God of diplomacy and planning. The politician. Patron of deceit. Reaching out to those who desire peace. A partisan of caution.

Make the picture a figure of a man standing straight, and only bearing a slight resemblance to me. He is dressed in elegant clothes, is smiling, and is reaching out his hand for a handshake. The fingers on his other hand are crossed. Behind a window behind him, just barely seen, is a man with a laser rifle, aiming ahead. The laser rifle is marked with his symbol. His symbol is two hands joined together at the wrists, and coming apart from there. One of them is receiving a handshake, the other has it's fingers crossed.

"??, god of diplomacy and caution, deceit and good planning, confidence and determination. He is seldom worshipped, as most people choose more violent, straightforward gods instead. Some say that it is he, who rarely picks his apostles. Opinions differ as to his relation with Sri-haldon. Some say they are related, some say they are not. They definitely share a lot. But whereas she comes from shadows with a poisoned dagger, he comes with an open hand and an outstretched arm, seemingly honest, reliable, and competent. Sometimes, he is working together with Sri-haldon, sometimes against, their relationship always shifting. But it never reaches an extreme, stopping right before romance, and turning away right as it's about to reach hate, beginning a new cycle.

He prefers to avoid unnecesary risks, relying on others to do the manual and dangerous work, but always taking care not to seem too distant from the others. He is a good friend, but everything, everything he does is ultimately for his own gain without regard for any morals."

Huh, well I'd say that came off... however it came off. I will need to look at it with a clearer eye several days from now, with an eye of a stranger. I'll have to think about how to incorporate it into the book. The fanatic will probably finish it before we return to the sword, so I'll have to be careful about it. Or maybe I could tell him that he simply missed that page whilst scanning the book... Yeah, that could work. It could be a great prank, having him worship the something I created out of thin air. He he he...   I'll have to think about the name, won't I? No matter, I'll think of something. I've got a lot of time here.

I suppose getting ready for the expedition and going to sleep after I'm done.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:01:00 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12947 on: March 15, 2013, 06:05:44 pm »

Once finished, Mesk types a message and sends it to the team leader.
Quote from: Mesk Vraite | Message to: Miyamoto de Bergerac
A quick thought.  What do you think about just... not exploring at all?  Spend a year out here, safe in our base, then return to the Paracelsus' Sword for an easy five tokens.  Probably not a completed mission on our records, though, but that'll be alright.  Opinion?

I'm not sure Steve would be ok with us loitering around for a year. And I don't know how he would react, and I'm not planning on finding out. Besides, aren't you a bit curious at what we might find here? Sure, it'll probably try to kill us, but still.

Pack 3 days worth of rations, then go rest in my bunk.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 06:08:53 pm by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12948 on: March 15, 2013, 07:03:02 pm »

Name:Flint/Competent Miner - Blue Squad - Quartermaster

First go and clean the after-party mess in the barracks.

Then look around for some kind of cart that could be used to carry supplies while on foot. If one is found, fill it with a few sample containers, 4 mapping drones and food and drink for 4 men for 2 days. Else see if I can make a bag for my exosuit (maybe use ropes and some shrink wrap) and put those things there. Else, see if I can simply tie those things on me. If I can't carry so many stuff, take what I can carry.

Then, get ready to move out with my squad.

@Bishop: "A pleasure to be working with you again Rocketman. I'll try to take some extra food and water with us, so that you don't have to carry so much."

@Everyone: "If anyone doesn't have a weapon, ask and I will be happy to provide."

((Updated notes with color coded squads. Of course, canary gold has been chosen for home squad.))
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 07:10:29 pm by Parisbre56 »

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12949 on: March 15, 2013, 07:28:53 pm »

"So. What's the plan?"
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12950 on: March 15, 2013, 08:38:52 pm »

((Yay, look, my crappy boring backstory, just as I promised. If you find this horrible excuse of a story causes you brain damage or other kinds of distress, then I will not hesitate to remove it.))

"So, Zephyris, I promised you a story and a story I will deliver." said Flint as he sat comfortably in one of the barracks' bunks.
"And that's my homeworld's history in a nutshell. Now, can anybody tell me the moral of the story?" he said as he looked around at the people in the barracks, like an old story teller that had just said some kind of educational tale to a bunch of children. "Nah, there's no moral (apart from the fact that people are stupid maybe). I'm just messing with you."

"So, any questions about my homeworld and its history? Otherwise, we should get to sleep. Tomorrow is going to be a long day..."
Spoiler: The robopope (click to show/hide)

((I made up a religion so as not to offend anyone. Although with the rate new sects of Christianity are forming now that we're still on Earth as a species, I can imagine a religion like the one I made up springing up on some planet, once interstellar travel becomes possible. If you have been offended anyway, first I will apologize, but then I will ask you what are you doing in a sci-fi game, and specifically this sci-fi game.))

((And I just noticed that taken together the names of the two popes form the name of Corsair's character. Coincidence or is my subconscious trying to tell me something?))

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12951 on: March 15, 2013, 10:18:04 pm »

Too much holy wine again.  Daaaamnit.

"Praaaise be to... to... Miyamotor for his great choice.  I'll bring the wizzzdom of gods to our team.  Yay verily and crap.  Clearly green for Steve because he's awesome and crap.  Woo.  You guys rock, Team Steve roooools!"

Lars fell over after stretching too high.  He then crawled to a nice place to sleep
and slept it off till the morning launch.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12952 on: March 15, 2013, 11:05:06 pm »

@Miyamoto: "Understood."

As Zephyris listened to the old actor, she found something bugging her. Something she didn't quite comprehend.
"I do have a question..", she paused briefly as it occured to her that followers of the religion might find the question offensive. Then again, Flint didn't seem too pious. Surely he wouldn't mind. "Had anyone told either pope the religion's name was way too long?"

Go sleep until morning. Pack food and drink for 2 days before we leave, also pack up some medical supplies from the medbay (something along the lines of an emergency kit)
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12953 on: March 15, 2013, 11:11:32 pm »

Quote from: Bishop | Message to: Miyamoto
I just finished getting the specs for the drones. I have to say, I'm slightly dissapointed but not really suprised. Their range is less than a zone because that's all the data they can hold, they have a little bit more fuel than that and their scanning is basically visual with a laser rangefinder. You program in a set of parameters for it to fly itself and then just let it go do it's thing. Pretty basic, but there you go. Someone is going to have to carry a drone out to where they are going to scan, because they won't be able to fly there and back again.

I'm now going to go look for the landlines. Talk to you soon.

Shaking his head at the drones, Bishop stands and puts his helmet back on.

"Looks like it might be time for a walk outside."

Take a look around the outside of the base, looking for the landlines to Steve. While walking, take note of any enterances of any kind and where they lead. If I can't find the landlines outside, then check in the shuttle that brought us here and then check inside.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12954 on: March 16, 2013, 02:27:18 am »

Anton frowns at the circumstances of the previous team's death, but so far has no concrete evidence to justify suspicion. He does, however, send a short report to Miyamoto about the findings.

Quote from: Anton Chernozorov, text message to Miyamoto de Bergerac
  Chernozorov here. Examining the previous team's feeds. It seems the team took the shuttle over the crater, and plunged in. Strange, but nothing conclusive at the moment, except for one thing. The previous team's leader did not die with the team. Last available feed shows him walking away from the base, heading.. it's hard to tell, but seems to be northward. His (or her? forgot to check) survival is unlikely, but I would advise caution in mapping sectors 2 and 3. My examination of the garage suggests that a vehicle may have been taken from the complement, and from the number of vehicles available it is possible that it may have been another MPV. Can't say if tracks can even be seen anywhere on this rock, but I'd suggest keeping an eye out for it as well.
  Will report more as the feeds are examined further.

See if 600 hours of video can fit in my datapad's memory. If so, download them all - can't stay in CCR forever. If not, download just the leader's camera feed. Go to the garage, make self comfortable in the MPV's seat (or any other seat in the garage if the MPV is something like a quadracycle), and try to watch the leader's feed from the beginning until asleep. Take note, if possible, of the state of the outpost and surroundings in the feed as it progresses.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 02:29:36 am by Sean Mirrsen »
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12955 on: March 16, 2013, 03:03:30 am »

Get checked out by Mesk then join in the party.
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12956 on: March 16, 2013, 04:51:42 am »

I just finished getting the specs for the drones. I have to say, I'm slightly dissapointed but not really suprised. Their range is less than a zone because that's all the data they can hold, they have a little bit more fuel than that and their scanning is basically visual with a laser rangefinder. You program in a set of parameters for it to fly itself and then just let it go do it's thing. Pretty basic, but there you go. Someone is going to have to carry a drone out to where they are going to scan, because they won't be able to fly there and back again.

Quote from:  To Bishop
Hmm, quite annoying indeed. Oh well, we'll just have to make due with what we have. Oh, and how many drones are there, exactly?

Anton frowns at the circumstances of the previous team's death, but so far has no concrete evidence to justify suspicion. He does, however, send a short report to Miyamoto about the findings.

Chernozorov here. Examining the previous team's feeds. It seems the team took the shuttle over the crater, and plunged in. Strange, but nothing conclusive at the moment, except for one thing. The previous team's leader did not die with the team. Last available feed shows him walking away from the base, heading.. it's hard to tell, but seems to be northward. His (or her? forgot to check) survival is unlikely, but I would advise caution in mapping sectors 2 and 3. My examination of the garage suggests that a vehicle may have been taken from the complement, and from the number of vehicles available it is possible that it may have been another MPV. Can't say if tracks can even be seen anywhere on this rock, but I'd suggest keeping an eye out for it as well.

Quote from: To Anton
We'll keep an eye out for it, good work. And be sure to keep me posted if you find anything else.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12957 on: March 16, 2013, 03:30:22 pm »

(Sorry, what was Corsair's character's name?)

Mesk looks up from his talk with Miyamoto at [Corsair's character].
"Er... right.  What was your name, again?  And... why are you taking stupid risks like going exploring by yourself?  You pull a dumb stunt like that again, and you get hurt?  Don't expect my sympathy."
Give [Corsair's character] a quick checkup.

A quick thought.  What do you think about just... not exploring at all?  Spend a year out here, safe in our base, then return to the Paracelsus' Sword for an easy five tokens.  Probably not a completed mission on our records, though, but that'll be alright.  Opinion?
[Med:5+2]
Mesk immediately knocks Michael out with a syringe of pain killers to the neck.

"Always wanted to do that."

Mesk then drags Michael to a bed and, after a thorough examination and much use of long rubber gloves, determines that he is healthy, but that he should limit his radiation exposure for the near future unless he wants to come down with a case of minor radiation sickness.

Go sleep untill morning. Then join green team after gettign ready.
You sleep off the booze and the cheap food before getting your gear and getting suited up for a long trek through the unknown.

make sure the gravimetric detection program has been uploaded to all drones, if it isnt then do so now.
Inspect vehicle sensors and try to determine if i can tweak them to detect gravimetric distortions, preferably with a higher sucess rate than the drones.

Grab 3 days worth of rations and stick them in my pack, make a pack first if necessary.

The program has been uploaded to all drones but when it comes to detecting using the vehicles you're kinda outta luck. Most don't really even have sensors since they rely on the pilot just looking around. The only ones that do are the mini shuttles and the main shuttle but they've got nothing that could really detect gravity fluctuations until they flew right into it.

You grab the food and water you need.

((Hey guys. Until Tuesday I am at a conference where they do not provide internet access (lame-ass b*tches). I have a wifi connection at my hotel, but I am not planning to spend a lot of time in my hotel room. You see, I am in New Orleans now and I was planning to spend every evening in a bar, preferably listening to jazz music. I will try to post actions as much as possible, but if necessary I suggest that my team leader (team Red) posts actions for me, or we could just assume that Lukas follows the red team around and uses extreme violence if necessary (that is about all he is good at, besides acting as an elevator).))

Go to sleep mode and join Red team as soon as they get ready to leave. Don't forget to pick up weapons from the barracks.
You gather your gear and make ready to sleep walk through the next few days.

Interesting, if a bit stereotypical for my taste. But that's what you get with gods edited by countless generations. I should keep her in mind. Can't say I believe in gods, but they can be useful. But heh, I wonder if I could do better. (Note, everything said in this post is said using my inside voice, not outloud.)

Make a new page on the datapad (using it as a drawing tablet), and when writing on it, try to match the layout of the other pages of the pantheon. Make a new god:

??: God of diplomacy and planning. The politician. Patron of deceit. Reaching out to those who desire peace. A partisan of caution.

Make the picture a figure of a man standing straight, and only bearing a slight resemblance to me. He is dressed in elegant clothes, is smiling, and is reaching out his hand for a handshake. The fingers on his other hand are crossed. Behind a window behind him, just barely seen, is a man with a laser rifle, aiming ahead. The laser rifle is marked with his symbol. His symbol is two hands joined together at the wrists, and coming apart from there. One of them is receiving a handshake, the other has it's fingers crossed.

"??, god of diplomacy and caution, deceit and good planning, confidence and determination. He is seldom worshipped, as most people choose more violent, straightforward gods instead. Some say that it is he, who rarely picks his apostles. Opinions differ as to his relation with Sri-haldon. Some say they are related, some say they are not. They definitely share a lot. But whereas she comes from shadows with a poisoned dagger, he comes with an open hand and an outstretched arm, seemingly honest, reliable, and competent. Sometimes, he is working together with Sri-haldon, sometimes against, their relationship always shifting. But it never reaches an extreme, stopping right before romance, and turning away right as it's about to reach hate, beginning a new cycle.

He prefers to avoid unnecesary risks, relying on others to do the manual and dangerous work, but always taking care not to seem too distant from the others. He is a good friend, but everything, everything he does is ultimately for his own gain without regard for any morals."

Huh, well I'd say that came off... however it came off. I will need to look at it with a clearer eye several days from now, with an eye of a stranger. I'll have to think about how to incorporate it into the book. The fanatic will probably finish it before we return to the sword, so I'll have to be careful about it. Or maybe I could tell him that he simply missed that page whilst scanning the book... Yeah, that could work. It could be a great prank, having him worship the something I created out of thin air. He he he...   I'll have to think about the name, won't I? No matter, I'll think of something. I've got a lot of time here.

I suppose getting ready for the expedition and going to sleep after I'm done.
You add the note to your digital copy and go to bed. What you mean by "getting ready" you'll have to specify if it's anything beyond just grabbing your gear and suit.

I'm not sure Steve would be ok with us loitering around for a year. And I don't know how he would react, and I'm not planning on finding out. Besides, aren't you a bit curious at what we might find here? Sure, it'll probably try to kill us, but still.

Pack 3 days worth of rations, then go rest in my bunk.

You pack up 3 days worth of food and water and store them in your battlesuit's cockpit before going to bed.

Name:Flint/Competent Miner - Blue Squad - Quartermaster

First go and clean the after-party mess in the barracks.

Then look around for some kind of cart that could be used to carry supplies while on foot. If one is found, fill it with a few sample containers, 4 mapping drones and food and drink for 4 men for 2 days. Else see if I can make a bag for my exosuit (maybe use ropes and some shrink wrap) and put those things there. Else, see if I can simply tie those things on me. If I can't carry so many stuff, take what I can carry.

Then, get ready to move out with my squad.

@Bishop: "A pleasure to be working with you again Rocketman. I'll try to take some extra food and water with us, so that you don't have to carry so much."

@Everyone: "If anyone doesn't have a weapon, ask and I will be happy to provide."

((Updated notes with color coded squads. Of course, canary gold has been chosen for home squad.))
You clean up the mess, throwing the dishes in the sink and the garbage in the incinerator. You drag the table back and turn the television off before starting to get packed.

You use some cable and tarp from the garage to cobble together a rough back pack. You load it up with your supplies and hang it from your exoskeleton.

Too much holy wine again.  Daaaamnit.

"Praaaise be to... to... Miyamotor for his great choice.  I'll bring the wizzzdom of gods to our team.  Yay verily and crap.  Clearly green for Steve because he's awesome and crap.  Woo.  You guys rock, Team Steve roooools!"

Lars fell over after stretching too high.  He then crawled to a nice place to sleep
and slept it off till the morning launch.
You curl up on a nice soft patch of ground in the corner, hugging a bottle of booze. You sleep until everyone is ready to go and wake up with a pretty sizable hangover.

@Miyamoto: "Understood."

As Zephyris listened to the old actor, she found something bugging her. Something she didn't quite comprehend.
"I do have a question..", she paused briefly as it occured to her that followers of the religion might find the question offensive. Then again, Flint didn't seem too pious. Surely he wouldn't mind. "Had anyone told either pope the religion's name was way too long?"

Go sleep until morning. Pack food and drink for 2 days before we leave, also pack up some medical supplies from the medbay (something along the lines of an emergency kit)

You grab some food and drink and store it in your bag along with some simple medical supplies. Not sure how useful they'll be, but better to have them.

Shaking his head at the drones, Bishop stands and puts his helmet back on.

"Looks like it might be time for a walk outside."

Take a look around the outside of the base, looking for the landlines to Steve. While walking, take note of any enterances of any kind and where they lead. If I can't find the landlines outside, then check in the shuttle that brought us here and then check inside.
Landlines are literally just physical cables that would allow people to communicate between two fixed points, through radio distortion. There are no land lines to steve because that would imply a literal cable from here to the sword. And considering the sword is, at this point sitting a few hundred light years away, that isn't gonna happen. Nor is communication of
 any kind. You are 100% on your own.

See if 600 hours of video can fit in my datapad's memory. If so, download them all - can't stay in CCR forever. If not, download just the leader's camera feed. Go to the garage, make self comfortable in the MPV's seat (or any other seat in the garage if the MPV is something like a quadracycle), and try to watch the leader's feed from the beginning until asleep. Take note, if possible, of the state of the outpost and surroundings in the feed as it progresses.
You download most of the leader's feed and then go sit in the bucket seat of one of the rocket bikes.

You watch the video for several hours, fast forwarding around through the boring parts. A few things of note come up.

This team did not build this base. It was here when they landed, deactivated like before. It looks like it had more food, and one of the mini shuttle is missing from the garage, but thats the extent of change.

The second and more worrying is references to a "Zone storm". No one says exactly what it is, but they hint about increased anomalous activity from near by zones leaking in toward the base on occasion. Hard to tell what form this will take, but it doesn't sound healthy.

Get checked out by Mesk then join in the party.

You spend the duration of the night passed out, alone, in a bed in the infirmary. You wake up sore, confused and slightly worried why there are so many rubber gloves laying around you.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12958 on: March 16, 2013, 04:13:10 pm »

((On the subject of landlines: Even if a cable did stretch from here to the Sword, it wouldn't allow for communication on any practical scale.))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12959 on: March 16, 2013, 04:16:50 pm »

Wait for team.
Pages: 1 ... 862 863 [864] 865 866 ... 1256