Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3945208 times)

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #12885 on: March 14, 2013, 08:48:34 am »

((@Radio Controlled: That conversation isn't happening over open comms right? You should check the maps and location section in my notes by the way, I've got some interesting info and questions there. Also, remember that a human, even with an exoskeleton, can't walk all day. And you're bound to hit an obstacle or something interesting while walking, so that's another plus to time. (Thearpox is going to start talking about bicycles again I bet :)))))

Spoiler: Current votes (click to show/hide)

((If nothing significant changes, it seems like we'll be Canary Base on Vastitatibus Temporis. Interesting fact: If we take only L1 votes into account and use the rest as tiebreakers Canary Base and Vastitatibus Temporis are the clear winners. If however we say that L1=3p L2=2p and L3=1p then Canary Base comes ahead of Algis' Rest with 3 points while VT comes ahead of DeathtrAP-1774 with 3 points.))

((Ninja edit: Just seconds before I posted, Thearpox posts and I have to alter my votes section. Also, I don't understand why you find Flint easier than Paris (someone else called me Flint in a PM) but if it's easier for you, then I don't mind at all. My middle name is John by the way, if you want to start calling me by a third name.))
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 08:50:05 am by Parisbre56 »

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12886 on: March 14, 2013, 09:37:50 am »

((I've actually found a new use for bicycles that would make them significantly more useful than before. I'll get to it when I have a chance. Bicycles for everyone!!!))
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12887 on: March 14, 2013, 09:42:59 am »

I'll get on it after I'm done with a few things first. Won't take long and I'll start with the landlines first, seeing how they are more important right now. Let me know if you want an honest and sensible (read: sane) opinion on something too, seeing how more than one person on this rock isn't exactly the most 'stable' or 'mentally dependable'. I still don't quite trust Mesk with medicine...

Sure, just get back to me when you have the info I need. And don't worry about Mesk, if he tries to go 'experimental' again you can be sure I'll make him... reconsider.

((@paris: your notes are always open on another tab when I'm planing things, thanks for the link in your sig. Also, what exactly do you mean with 'a human can't walk all day'? I know that, which is why I'm counting for at least 4 days for one trip, although a week might be a safer bet.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12888 on: March 14, 2013, 10:07:21 am »

((I've actually found a new use for bicycles that would make them significantly more useful than before. I'll get to it when I have a chance. Bicycles for everyone!!!))

((All I can see is the Armory Master and the Doctor riding around the sword on a bicycle built for two.  Both are wearing helmets with flowers on them, with a puppy sitting in the basket on the front.  They're singing, laughing, and smiling.))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12889 on: March 14, 2013, 10:08:47 am »

((@paris: your notes are always open on another tab when I'm planing things, thanks for the link in your sig. Also, what exactly do you mean with 'a human can't walk all day'? I know that, which is why I'm counting for at least 4 days for one trip, although a week might be a safer bet.))
((Hmmm... I don't really know why I put it there now that I think about it. Maybe it was something I was thinking for my notes? Oh well, if I can't remember what I meant it probably wasn't important. Just ignore it.

EDIT: Ah, just remembered. I meant to say that robots don't have the same needs as humans. They can keep going with little food or rest and can keep watch on the team. Brain switched off for a moment there.))

((All I can see is the Armory Master and the Doctor riding around the sword on a bicycle built for two.  Both are wearing helmets with flowers on them, with a puppy sitting in the basket on the front.  They're singing, laughing, and smiling.))
((I would pay good tokens for that. :))))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12890 on: March 14, 2013, 10:48:48 am »

We could split into two teams and map it in half the time you propose. Also, someone's already sent a scout drone for the outside of the base, I'm uploading its data to the master map.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12891 on: March 14, 2013, 10:54:39 am »

((A week for each trip, several trips to map out everything. Am I getting it right?, sorry if I am not. In that case, we don't really have any need or want to do it any quicker. Remember, we have an entire year to do this.))

Edit: Whoops, my bad. I tend to confuse when we are talking through the suit coms and talking in person. Changed to OOC, since I've still got the same question. Not going to the planning room, since I already have an action.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:27:00 am by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12892 on: March 14, 2013, 11:06:13 am »

We could split into two teams and map it in half the time you propose. Also, someone's already sent a scout drone for the outside of the base, I'm uploading its data to the master map.

"Of course we split up into teams, did I ever say we wouldn't? Problem is, we'll need to balance out our vehicles. And our standard shuttles only carry 4 people. Still, assigning teams is for when we agree on a plan. And I'm waiting for some technical data from Bishop to really decide anything, seeing as how at least one team will be putting up communication landlines also."

((@ thearpox: this is a conversation going on in person, not over radio. Find an excuse to come to the planning room if you want to join in.

EDIT: I plan to be ready in about a month (counting from our arrival) with the rough exploration. This should be plenty of time, while also giving us about 10 months for detailed exploring.))
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 11:32:15 am by Radio Controlled »

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12893 on: March 14, 2013, 11:12:49 am »

You never explicitly said. And with these people, explicit instructions are quite important, don't leave anyone to assume anything.

Anyways, it's a good plan. Four quadrants, teams going along straight, unless they hit an anomaly, and sending drones when needed, to fill in the quadrant. After that, the anomaly exploration can begin.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12894 on: March 14, 2013, 11:59:56 am »

((Hmm, I don't think I actually posted an action yet.))

"Right, enough of this for now. Let's see if the AI coughed anything up."

Go to CCR and see if Alvin made the video logs of the previous team available to me, as Miyamoto requested. If so, watch through them and try to detect abnormalities in behavior or events.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12895 on: March 14, 2013, 12:20:42 pm »

((Looks like there won't be any more votes coming, so unless someone objects or has something else to suggest...))

*raises glass* "Let us drink in celebration! To Canary Base, the HMRC exploratory outpost of Vastitatibus Temporis, The Wastes of Time. May our stay here be happy and uneventful!"

Go spraypaint the following on the base entrance with green spraypaint and stencils (remember to put my helmet back on before going out):
Quote from: Entrance Sign
CANARY BASE
the HMRC exploratory outpost of
Vastitatibus Temporis, The Wastes of Time

@Bishop: "Do I have permission to start naming vehicles according to our base's avian theme? As Chief Engineer I thought I should get your permission first."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:23:51 pm by Parisbre56 »

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #12896 on: March 14, 2013, 01:53:17 pm »

Try again then head to party.
Well there's nothing new about the situation so your results at attempting to decode the mass of data would be no different. You shrug, close the windows and go get drunk.

[aux:3]
You don't break it, but you don't make it any better either. You just sort of fiddle around, change this part, rewrite this bit of code, edit that one, but the end result is the same as what you ha to begin with in terms of ability.
((I assume that means Anton now has one, but it barely works. Because last time he tried to code it his fingers assaulted him. :P
Spoiler: Anton's charsheet (click to show/hide)
))
You had one that kinda worked before, remember? It's just your attempts to continuously re-roll working on it that resulted in digital harassment.

((Blue glow... well, if it's what I think it is, then he might want to check his atmosphere, because Cerenkov Radiation doesn't work without one, unless he's managed to find an anomaly where the speed of light is slower than the speed of light in a vacuum.

Then again, if there were enough radiation to glow in the atmosphere, then he would be dead already. Without atmosphere and just an anomalous zone, it gets worse.))

Update the master map with the data from the returned drone.
(Ok I tried to host the image here but IMGUR is giving me continuous problems about security errors. I've updated the image on my computer and will upload it when IMGUR stops shitting the bed.)

You update the map. It's fairly boring stuff, just lots of gray rock.

"Well, it seems safe around here. Aside from the crater, there doesn't seem to be any anomalies around here. At least not gravitic ones."

Head back to base.

((My outlook is colored by STALKER SoC.))
You head back into the base and over to the barracks. You prop yourself up against the wall and note the disproportionate number of men to women around here. Does Simus count as a woman? She was barely a woman before she became a robot...

head to the party, eat and stuff then go looking for yellow paint
You head to the party and end up drinking far more then you expected. Eventually you stagger over to a random bunk and pass out. Your pants seem to have somehow separated themselves from your body...

Head to party, join in on the robot dancing.
You and Lukas have a robo-dance off. You've got speed and dexterity, but he's got size...and the fact that he could crush you to death with his bare hands. You decide to let him win this one.
Lars looked at the pad.  Huh.  Business first, then pleasure.

"Overlord Alvin, scion of Steve, is the blockage clear?"

He then grabbed some food and sat down with the pad.  What was this?

Report to Alvin, get food, read pad.

((For the base, Toaster votes Canary Base and Lars votes Algis's Rest.  For the planet... Lars votes Steve's Glory and Toaster has no real strong opinion- he'd probably just bandwagon on Wastes of Time for the double meaning.))

THE BLOCKAGE HAS BEEN CLEARED.

You grab a handful of fried, microwaved, junk food and sit down on your bunk to read.

The data pad seems to have belonged to the team leader of the last mission. It seems he wasn't with the team when they took a swan dive into that crater. After their deaths he undertakes the exploration of the world personally. He maps the crater, or at least it's boundaries and then talks about going farther to  see whats beyond it. The journal ends rather cryptically, pondering what lies beyond the edge of the "designated zones" and exactly what happen to the team that built this base. There's nothing beyond that.

((Algis' Rest sounds decent enough of a base name for me. And I like the deathtrap one for the planetname too.))

Quietly read over Lars' shoulder as he looks at the pad.
You read over lars' shoulder and see what he sees.

((Interesting))
Go back to base after noting the position of this blue stuff then after arriving check my radiation levels and any useful information that was gathered. Make sure to throw pebbles all the way.

You start the long walk back toward the base, your feet aching, your mouth dry and your stomach empty. You can't tell for sure where any of this is, not well enough to mark it exactly on a map at least. It was to the south west, but thats about as exact as you can be.

You make it out of the glowing, radiation soaked land and back onto the bare rock plains with the base at their center. It's a few miles away though.

shake hands with everybody at the party and wish them good luck
You present the robo-shake to everyone.
((4 mph for 16,5 hours means doing 66 miles, or 106.22 kilometers. How could I not have the fuel for that, if I did have enough to rescue flint and Jobasio in the previous mission? How strong is the gravity here?

Also, I am correct that we aren't supposed to map the whole planetoid? Or does that map of yours 'bend' back at itself at the edges, like on a map of the globe?))

Send following to Bishop:
Hey there Bshop, I need to get the technical data on the automapping drones, like their operational range etc. Could you, or one of your technicians, go check them out for me? I will also need the specs on those communication landlines Steve mentioned. Strangly, it seems Alvin doesn't have this info, cause he didn't answer me when i asked him.
Anyway, once you have it, come to the planning room, I'll be preparing our first explorations here.

Then, turning to Simus: "I have been thinking about how we should do this. It would seem prudent if we did a rough scan of the area first, noting points of interest and setting up communication landlines as we go. Then, once we have an idea of the layout of this rock, we investigate important regions in more detail.

Now, the idea would be we, for example, send a team going north from here to the edge of the 'map', after which they go clockwise at the edge untill the get at the most north-east part, after which they go back to the base. While they go north, from time to time they would send mapping drones going clockwise, and they pick them up again on their way back. Once they return, we update the master map here. This would require 4 trips in total, each trip taking roughly 3-5 days at most, barring any alien shenanigans of course.

Any thoughts on this?"

(Well that was in zero g with no resistance, so every bit of fuel was going into the acceleration and, if you remember, it lasted less then 15 minutes or so. Most of the trip was done without the rockets just coasting along on the momentum they gave originally. In planetary gravity you're not gonna get 60 miles, although you could probably get 45. After all, those rockets were designed more for short bursts of flight, not sustained flight over large areas. As per the mapping, thats something you have to ask ALVIN.)

((Hmm, I don't think I actually posted an action yet.))

"Right, enough of this for now. Let's see if the AI coughed anything up."

Go to CCR and see if Alvin made the video logs of the previous team available to me, as Miyamoto requested. If so, watch through them and try to detect abnormalities in behavior or events.
There are roughly 60 hours of footage available for each member of a 10 man team. How you want to handle viewing it?

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12897 on: March 14, 2013, 02:01:13 pm »

You had one that kinda worked before, remember? It's just your attempts to continuously re-roll working on it that resulted in digital harassment.
((One I had was the optical tracker program, the one that followed objects. I was trying to expand it with parallax distance tracking when my fingers assaulted me, but this second time I wanted to make a second program. But oh well, I've got time. :P))

There are roughly 60 hours of footage available for each member of a 10 man team. How you want to handle viewing it?
((Similarly, I got time. Pop over to the party to grab a snack and a drink, and start watching.)) First things first though, look for the final recorded hour of each team member, starting with the leader, notice oddities in behavior or odd communications. The rest of it can come in the lots of time we'll get while monitoring the base.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12898 on: March 14, 2013, 02:04:16 pm »

Prop self against the wall while eating some snacks.

"Well then, how did everyones day go?"

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12899 on: March 14, 2013, 02:48:12 pm »

Lars looked at the datapad, puzzled.  "This is odd.  It appears the team leader of the previous team was not with the group that went into the crater.  After that, he mapped the edges of the crater, then started going beyond it.  He ended up wondering about what's outside the designated mapping area."

Lars looked at it again.

"He must have been confused, though.  Says he was wondering what happened to the team that built the base.  Steve said it was his team, so something must have affected his memory.  Strange."

Check the pad for any of the mapping he did- if available, upload it to ALVIN.

Either way, grab a light drink and toast the room.

"May the gods watch over us all."
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 858 859 [860] 861 862 ... 1256