Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3944141 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Missions 9: Anyone got some bolts?
« Reply #12780 on: March 11, 2013, 08:12:57 pm »

Look for anything important on computers.
[aux:6+1]

You manage to pull up a list of absolutely every byte of information on the computer. It's so massive, bloated and unlabelled that it's impossible to make good use of.

You can however tell that there is a mapping program in there, somewhere.

Go to the barracks and enter the Leader's quarters, look around and take stock.

"Alvin, I would like it if you also answered the questions of the other people that need you."

Send a message to Flint:
If you want to celebrate our arrival here, go ahead, just make sure it stays within limits. Anyone who has a hangover the next day will get latrine duty for a week.
You leave your message of universal access with ALVIN and head upstairs to the team leader's room. The door opens with your hand print. Inside is a single bed, a desk with a computer terminal, and a private bathroom. Spartan, but more luxury then you were expecting.

Send a message to Flint:
If you want to celebrate our arrival here, go ahead, just make sure it stays within limits. Anyone who has a hangover the next day will get latrine duty for a week.
"Yay! Party time!"
Quote from: Flint Westwood to Miyamoto de Bergerac
Don't worry boss. I'll keep it reasonable. And I am honored to accept the position of quarter master. I will make sure not to disappoint you.

EDIT: ((Assume that, as quartermaster, I have now taken a tour of most of the base and have IC knowledge of what's in there.))

EDIT: @Everybody: "Okay, you heard the man, everybody who has taken a gun or ammo needs to return it. I can't believe you managed to take all of the clips already."

"And, as my first act as quartermaster, I will be organizing a little welcoming party at the barracks. Feel free to join me and help me with the preparations."

Go to the kitchen and start taking some drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and nutrient packs to the barracks (not too many, don't want them to get drunk or waste stuff.). Also take some plates, cups and eating utensils. See if the food is MREs or something that needs cooking. Wonder if I can spike the cyborg's nutrient packs with alcohol to make them drunk. Open the TV to some kind of party music channel. Take my exosuit to the barracks and position it in front of the boxbench to make a table. Put the stuff I take from the kitchen on the exosuit. Find some extra empty boxes or sample containers to use as chairs. Generally prepare the barracks for party.

Well, considering nutrient packs aren't exactly "food" they're more like cyborg fuel cells, you decide to leave them behind in favor of the booze, plates, utensils, cups, some food you nuke in the microwave to heat up and a nice folding table that was shoved next to the fridge. You set up the food and booze in the barracks and turn the TV on. It's not like the one on the sword; it has no connection to outside programs, just a backlog of recorded stuff. You find a 24 hour loop of music and set it to play.

"Ain't no party like an HMRC party because an HMRC party has a high chance of mortality."

(I wonder if I'd even be affected by alcohol or drugs anymore?)

"Got it, O Glorious Leader.  Bishop, I've taken a second look through the garage and everything looks workable to my eyes.  I'm gonna head back to the infirmary and take more thorough stock, since it seems that's where I'll be spending the next year or so."
Head back to the medbay.  Make sure everything vital is quickly accessible and in good condition.  Make sure everything non-vital but important is accessible and in working condition.
You walk to the med by and double check that everything is working. It's working as far as you can tell. The beep beep machines beep beep, the morgue is cold enough to keep corpses or beer palatable, the isolation room doesn't have holes in it and the recovery room has plenty of soft, non-bloodstained beds. It's a paradise ripe for the ruining.

return to sensor array, try to alter scanning frequencies to detect gravimetric distortions.
If successful upload frequencies to mapping drones and program them to avoid entering these areas.

If unsuccessfull, go outside and look at the crater with my batvision.

((Such intense gravity should theoretically prevent me from mapping the crater due to it preventing my signals returning and just appear as a giant gaping hole in my map right?))
Two problems I see with this. First, batdrones rely on sonar, which relies on sound, and the surface of the planet, at least the area around you, is in a vacuum. Second, the sensor arrays of the base are fairly simple; they're comprised mostly of cameras, pressure and atmosphere sensors, radio antennae, thermometers and the like. Detecting gravity from a distance using them is a bit hard/impossible as far as I know.

"Negative on the rifle. I like being prepared."

Grab a red can of paint, and head outside and stare at the crater. Use weirdvision to try and find something to distinguish gravity wells from normal gravity. Go down to the math if needed.

You walk over to the crater and engage weird-o-vision. You immediately disengage it and cover your eyes, screaming. Well, one thing stands out: there's something down in the center of that crater thats glowing brighter then the sun when you look at it with weird-o-vision.

To Miyamoto: "Well, I wanted to save you the trouble by checking it out beforehand. But if you want to take care of it yourself, that's fine by me."

To Simus: "I take it back then. Doesn't seem that cynical when you take it that way."

Take two notepads, if any are still around, and clear their memories. Then to my bed in the barracks and rest, unless somebody asks me to do something. Help Flint with the party if he asks me to.

((This mission has triple the organization the other missions had. It seems we're actually learning from experience.))

You take one more datapad and then go lay in your bunk. Man, faffing about sure is tiring.

"The AI seems to only want to talk to the designated team leader. Hopefully, now that Miya has ordered it to talk to us, it will respond to verbal requests and notify us about things. Oh, and it's called Alvin, so I can see why Steve thinks it's inferior.

Anyway, Alvin just ran a self diagnostic for us and everything is running just fine. There's a blockage in the vents in the barracks and the morgue, but I'm going to fix those right now. Later, we can organise ourselves into how we are going to do our day trips on this forsaken rock and stuff like that."

Bishop turns to head back upstairs and says over his shoulder to the AI.

"Alvin, as chief engineer, please notify both me and the team leader if any complications come up in the base. I also want you to run a daily self diagnostic from now on and supply the results to me."

Head upstairs and shut the hatch to the AI and Life support once I'm upstairs again. Then check out the blockage in the barracks first, using Alvin to direct me if needed.
ALVIN doesn't seem to have control over the speakers, or even a dynamic voice for that matter, just prerecorded soundbites. You supply him with the frequencies of the team's suits and wristpads to allow text communication. That done you head back upstairs and check out the barracks. According to ALVIN, vent C1 is the first one on the right side of the room. It's a small thing, covered by a double grated hatch thats been screwed in place. You shine your lights in but can't see anything; the shaft turns sharply a foot or so from the vent, so it might be around that bend.

Anton sighs. "Somehow I feel that this is going to be one very long year."

Examine the mapping drones, how autonomous are they? Do they automatically explore an area around their release, automatically fly to an area to be explored, or are they manually guided?

Look at the rocket bikes. Do they have anything resembling autopilot? If not, do they have any computer-assist piloting system that'd allow an autopilot written for them?

Regardless of above, sit down and start tinkering with the datapad. Examine the code for the optical tracker program and try to determine what the cause of imperfect object detection is.
((Dynamic bonus go!))
The mapping drones look pretty foolproof; they're little autonomous rocket drones that will fly a good 50 feet or so into the air and begin mapping via camera and laser range finder. They have settings for how far they will go away from their initial deployment zone.

The rocket bikes are more pilot seats with a crash frame and engines arrayed around it. It's controls consist entirely of a pair of pedals, two joy sticks and a small computer screen sitting on a stand between the pilot's legs. You can't tell anything about autonomous usage without turning it on.

Dynamic preparation HOOOOO

"I'm not doing anything useful at the moment if anyone needs me.

Go stand outside and  and gaze at the horizon. Look for anything...out of the ordinary.
You clank outside and look around. Hmm, well there's a rather eerie blueish glow out to the southwest. And The west looks kinda...weird somehow. Hard to say how though.

Go outside with my new stuff and activate video recorder and start exploring AWAY from the gravity crater and any craters for that matter anything that is hostile incinerate with microwave manipultor.
Just gonna go out completely without a map or anything? Ok. Which direction you want to Go? North, south, west, east, or somewhere in between?

Blessed Leader Miyamoto, Warden of Steve's Will,

I will do as you have asked, glorious leader.

Your humble servant,
Brother Lars

Go check out the blockage in the vents as well.
You find the same thing as Bishop: A closed, double grated vent with nothing visible in it.

"Sounds alright to me. Oh and it's Haizea, Zephyris Haizea."
Seeing that she had nothing better to do at the moment she went to help Flint. She didn't see any reason to celebrate their overly long stay here, but it'd probably help knitting the group together.

Help out Flint with party preparations.
You help set out plates, dishes and food.

I object to being referred to as a labcoat, Migrurkeshin. Apart from that, having you will just reduce the time taken organizing and storing things, which is all the lab is really equipped for. So really, both of us could have that as just a secondary duty.

And Flint, I wouldn't call my grenades weapons of mass destruction, they ain't pocket nukes. Sure, one high explosive one can take out the front of a building, but they're not much compared to even an eighth kiloton that we could buy in the armory.

Attempt to setup the holoprojector to display a diagram of the base when idle. Not really useful, but better than nothing.

((PW, how many grenades did I get when I picked up the offered free ones?))
You make the projector display a diagram of the base, just like the one you were given earlier.

(Ah, that reminds me. You have 5 new grenades, but you need to chose which type you want. )

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12781 on: March 11, 2013, 08:25:45 pm »

"Alright kids, looks like the infirmary is ready to go.  Now I don't want to have to ever use it, so you all try and give me a nice year-long vacation, alright?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12782 on: March 11, 2013, 08:29:39 pm »

Remove my helmet and then play host/waiter.

"Okay dear sirs and madams, the party iis on. Please come to the barracks even if you're not in the mood to eat or drink, for I am certain our glorious leader would wish to make a speech before we begin exploring. Also, feel free to suggest a name for the base. The best suggestion will be awarded with extra rations for 2 days."

((I want this to be an opportunity for us to sit around and make any important decisions.

EDIT: Everybody knows that the best decisions are made in a festive mood while drunk.))
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:38:58 pm by Parisbre56 »

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #12783 on: March 11, 2013, 08:31:46 pm »

Head to the barracks.
"How long will our rations last, anyway?"

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12784 on: March 11, 2013, 08:35:40 pm »

Head to the barracks.
"How long will our rations last, anyway?"

"The robots are all set for nearly 2 years. The humans... let's just say that those extra rations are a very good reward. From tommorow, don't expect me to be so generous with food and drink. But today we celebrate our arrival to    Vastitatibus Temporis, the Wastes of Time. Strike the earth!"   
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 08:46:03 pm by Parisbre56 »

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12785 on: March 11, 2013, 08:40:42 pm »

((3 High-EX, 2 Frag - I'll leave my single chemical as a nasty surprise, but those two have proven themselves useful already.))

Almost makes me glad Jim vaporized half of me. I don't have to worry about rations and such.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #12786 on: March 11, 2013, 08:43:15 pm »

(It's not like I was intending to do that. >:C Besides, it gives you an excuse to get a synth-flesh body and all those juicy, juicy +1 bonuses it gives. I may have to ask Piecewise if I actually get a +2 to strength/conventional weapons/using my arms instead of +1 because I have two sets of synthflesh arms rather than only one. :3)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #12787 on: March 11, 2013, 08:55:46 pm »

((3 High-EX, 2 Frag - I'll leave my single chemical as a nasty surprise, but those two have proven themselves useful already.))

Almost makes me glad Jim vaporized half of me. I don't have to worry about rations and such.

"I guess there is an option of last resort to get converted to cyborgs in order to escape famine, but it would be dangerous and unnecessary, as long as the base remains safe and powered and nobody gets greedy with the rations. And, since I have no medical knowledge, I don't know how many people we can convert before we run out of parts."

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #12788 on: March 11, 2013, 09:07:30 pm »

Lars nodded at the grate, then replied over the radio.  "I shall be there shortly to ask blessings at our gathering after I fulfill the task our leader set us to."

Go get tools to open up the grates, then open it up.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12789 on: March 11, 2013, 09:40:42 pm »

"theres gotta be some way of detecting these distortions..." thinks auron staring at the console frustration, when he gets an idea "perhaps the mapping drones have sensors better suited to the task at hand..." and heads to the garage where he downloads their core programming to his datapad and begins work on the ncessary modifications.

reconfigure my copy of the mapping drones programming to avoid areas that "distort" the lidar beam and mark them as large holes in the map.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2013, 09:52:52 pm by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #12790 on: March 11, 2013, 09:44:53 pm »

Quote from: Message to: ALVIN
How much did the previous team manage to explore before entering the gravimetric anomaly and perishing? And what all was taken with them in terms of supplies, vehicles, and/or drones?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12791 on: March 11, 2013, 10:18:55 pm »

"Ok Lars, you seem up for it and I can't exactly fit in there with these rockets on. Let me know what you find, I'm going to check out the morgue and get that fixed before going to the party."

Bishop turns and walks off, keying on his radio to broadcast to everyone.

"If we really are doing this whole party thing, I think it may be best if we leave all our guns outside the barracks. Guns and booze do not go well together. We can leave them in the armory, and I'll give them all a look over to see if there's anything that needs maintenance.

Also, Alvin can't talk like Steve can but I've provided him with all our frequencies so he can send us text messages to our wrist computers and suits."

Give Lars a bit of encouragement and then head off to fix the morgue's problem. Get Alvin to help me if need be.

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #12792 on: March 12, 2013, 01:39:16 am »

directly away from the entrance, also have a stock of pebbles and lob them in front of me to detect any gravity anomalies
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #12793 on: March 12, 2013, 02:41:46 am »

"A thought occurred to me. There should be copies of the previous team's helmet camera feeds stored on the base's computers. Team leader, can you make the AI bring them up?"

Improve the optical tracker program. While I'm at it, make it capable of "leading the target" based on the followed object's movements and a given time offset.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12794 on: March 12, 2013, 03:45:32 am »

Lukas opens a comm channel to his teammates. "Hey if anyone wants to join me in some initial exploration, I would suggest that we check out the west and the southwest first. There is some blue-ish glow to the southwest and the west...well, it just looks weird. Maybe send some mapping drones up there first?"
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.
Pages: 1 ... 851 852 [853] 854 855 ... 1256