Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3942016 times)

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Mission 8: Civilians killed: 109
« Reply #10590 on: December 10, 2012, 04:20:15 am »

[Team A Awesome Medic - Mesk]
"...hey, it worked!  Cool.  Alright, I'm right behind ya."
Follow Jim.  Limp for the sake of a "walk this way" gag.
"You think my successes on this mission have been fate's way of balancing all the people I've malpracticed to death?  Or maybe I'll come into a string of horrific bad luck sometime in the future to balance this out.  Or maybe the universe really is random, and God is just randomly generated numbers?  I bet Brother Lars would have an opinion on that."

"What, do you think we're all part of some elaborate computer simulation designed for the sole purposes of entertaining some entity or entities as the case may be? Makes as much sense as anything else," Jim said. "I'm not much for theology, however. Lars? Do you want to weigh in on this?"

Sambo says:
"Nah, he's fucken wrong Jim. I just got shot in the chest and was coughing up my own fucking blood. I've seen other people do that kind of crap. Usually because we used one of the little guns on the tank. It hurts like hell.
It doesn't make sense at all you big bastard. Not unless we bloody well did it. Then, he can play the VR card. Shoot him, just in case. Sort of brings you back to reality that sort of shit does."

Lukas hears the metaphysical discussion and feels compelled to join it. "So if the universe were random and God were a set of random numbers, what would have generated those numbers? This is a problem we won't be able to get around. There has to be some ultimate and eternal principle of order from which all other things derive, either directly or indirectly. We may of course call this 'God', although this tends to confuse people into thinking that it refers to either an aged, bearded white man or a heap of spaghetti with two meatballs for eyes. And it wouldn't just generate randomness, because else we wouldn't be able to experience the harmonious relationships we all encounter in our daily experiences: I shoot the boobytrapped door and it causes an explosion, just as we expected it to. Of course there is always a lure to novelty, allowing things to turn out differently from the way they were before. But this apparent randomness is better understood in terms of potentials lying in each other's vicinity and luring everything that becomes into different satisfactions of becoming. As a metaphor, you could maybe think of it as a weighted random number generator where the past is somehow allowed to bear on the present."

((Uhm...))
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10591 on: December 10, 2012, 04:21:32 am »

"If we are in a simulation, it's so advanced that it might as well be real life for all I can notice or care at this moment in time. Focus people, you don't want to get blown apart, do you?

That was also a hell of a bomb. Nice."

Head into the station and investigate where the prisoners could have gone. Do so with extreme caution for ambushes or more explosives.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
« Reply #10592 on: December 10, 2012, 04:31:54 am »

"Yeah, whatever. The next time I push a button on fucken Sword's food machine and get spaghetti, I'll be bloody happy.
Anyway, I'm going shoot down any prick that gives us any problems. This ain't a problem in me head."
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 04:33:34 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10593 on: December 10, 2012, 04:35:15 am »

"If we are in a simulation, it's so advanced that it might as well be real life for all I can notice or care at this moment in time. Focus people, you don't want to get blown apart, do you?

That was also a hell of a bomb. Nice."

Head into the station and investigate where the prisoners could have gone. Do so with extreme caution for ambushes or more explosives.

Agreed. Let's not allow reality to blow up in our faces. Even if this were a simulation, we would still have to worry about permadeath.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10594 on: December 10, 2012, 04:38:48 am »

Team D Leader Faith, Explosion Corridor

Faith frowned at the man's talk. Looked like there'd be less "resistance" and more "pointless revenge" in the prison than she'd been expecting.

"Well, what would you call it? We found the bodies in Oxygen and Water, and you stripped Food Production clean and ruined anything that was left. Even if they were keeping most of it for themselves, I get the feeling it was running.

And speaking of which, what did the Magister, and especially what did the Magister's daughters, do that was so terrible?"

Keep talkin'.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #10595 on: December 10, 2012, 04:42:35 am »

Feyri Nirel ; Team C Mercenary, sprawled outside teh Police Fortress

Feyri pushed herself up amidst the comprehensible cacophany going over the comms. She turned to ask the man - the one with Team A and B originally, sounding like the guy who hated the governor
after regaining her stability and senses.

"What crimes did they commit against the people? And so as not to parrot Faith, why couldn't you, or anyone else, get the authorities to deal with your own authority? Surely there must be some kind of system which...I don't know, keeps tyrants in check?"

Spoiler: Team C and D (click to show/hide)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10596 on: December 10, 2012, 05:52:01 am »

Go help Flint out of his metal prison.

'By the way, Lucas, it is known that, in the proces of life , any living organism creates more entropy, or chaos, than it 'negates' through living. If we would give this chaos a fictional value, for every 'unit of chaos' that life negates by being an ordered system, it creates 2 more units of chaos on the outside world. It is speculated that this will continue on untill there is no more life possible due to the entire universe having succumbed to chaos. Everything will be a amorphous soup of matter and energy. In this light, life and everything derived could indeed be a result from randomness creating something structured, but by doing so, this wil only increase the rate at which the universe wil decay. But don't worry, we only put a marginal dent on the universe's life expectancy. What happens after that... Well, there is insufficient data for a meaningful answer.

But yeah, we should probably focus on the situation at hand, 'cause fictional or not, having a bullet embedded in your guts still pretty damn hurts.'

((If anyone is actually interested in this, I highly recommend the Isaac Asimov's short story 'The last question', which you can find here. ))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #10597 on: December 10, 2012, 06:40:24 am »

Name:Flint/Wrapped Miner - Team C - Fortress of Doom

Flint's head wasn't at its best and all this talk about metaphysics only made the world spin more. "Could you please stop the weird talk and come help me? You know, unwrap me? I don't want to wait here 'till Christmass."

Seeing Miyamoto move towards him he said:"Thank you boss. I'll try to be less stupid in the future. I just really believed it was the best I could do."

Help anyone who comes to help me and then check my equipment(and by equipment I mean exosuit, chisel, laser and shield).

((If anyone is actually interested in this, I highly recommend the Isaac Asimov's short story 'The last question', which you can find here. ))
((Yes, that's a great book. I imagine Google in a few decades will begin trying to answer this question.))

((Also, here's another theory:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
))
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:09:24 am by Parisbre56 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #10598 on: December 10, 2012, 06:51:39 am »

((Yes, that's a great book. I imagine Google in a few decades will begin trying to answer this question.))
((Oh hah, I've read that before. Neat little short story, yeah. I liked it.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10599 on: December 10, 2012, 07:37:08 am »

((Oh dear, I think our metaphysical discussion has caused some gateway timeouts. Sorry :S))
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:45:15 am by Prosperus »

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10600 on: December 10, 2012, 07:38:32 am »

((Oh dear, I think our metaphysical discussion has caused some gateway timeouts. Sorry :S))
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:44:30 am by Prosperus »

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10601 on: December 10, 2012, 07:40:02 am »

« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 07:45:51 am by Prosperus »

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10602 on: December 10, 2012, 07:41:02 am »

Go help Flint out of his metal prison.

'By the way, Lucas, it is known that, in the proces of life , any living organism creates more entropy, or chaos, than it 'negates' through living. If we would give this chaos a fictional value, for every 'unit of chaos' that life negates by being an ordered system, it creates 2 more units of chaos on the outside world. It is speculated that this will continue on untill there is no more life possible due to the entire universe having succumbed to chaos. Everything will be a amorphous soup of matter and energy. In this light, life and everything derived could indeed be a result from randomness creating something structured, but by doing so, this wil only increase the rate at which the universe wil decay. But don't worry, we only put a marginal dent on the universe's life expectancy. What happens after that... Well, there is insufficient data for a meaningful answer.

But yeah, we should probably focus on the situation at hand, 'cause fictional or not, having a bullet embedded in your guts still pretty damn hurts.'

"Interesting...Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back in. However, I would like to point out that the concept of entropy fits quite well in the metaphysical scheme I am referring to. Entropy might be understood as the rythm of novelty, as each new entity that comes into existence contributes something new to the history of the universe. Entropy partly expresses the fact that what has come to pass cannot be undone; it is always part of the past. Thus, at each subsequent moment there is more than there was before and it is impossible to go back to that exact before. Isn't that another expression of entropy? And I think your comments about Chaos could simply describe an inevitable transition to another epoch where the order of our current epoch breaks down, along with its concomitant 'natural laws' that we so very often mistakingly view as unchanging and absolute. It's funny how we take things that have never changed in human history for granted when it may well be that they simply span our existence many times over. Think about it, for an Earthly Mayfly that only lives for a few minutes the sun never goes down.

Lukas pauses. "I am sorry about that. It seems that some habits don't die easily, even when my brain is encased in a violent lump of metal. I will shut up now. Let's get back to business and find those fuckers."

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #10603 on: December 10, 2012, 07:50:11 am »

I'm just going to leave this tidbit of philosophy here: We all know that our senses are imperfect, that the brain can be fooled into believing something that isn't true with the correct inputs. So who's to say we aren't brains in jars, as the theory is based on, or even advanced AI, being fed sensory information and having our responses to that sensory information run through, possibly with a randomized element, and possibly with vague responses being filled in with whatever the program determines. There's nothing stopping that possibility, but no way to prove it, either. For now, though, I think we should concentrate on the mission at hand.

Loan datapads to Kyle, then head to and ransack the center building for anything useful. Take a few spare rifles for tinkering on as well, unloaded.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #10604 on: December 10, 2012, 08:00:33 am »

I'm just going to leave this tidbit of philosophy here: We all know that our senses are imperfect, that the brain can be fooled into believing something that isn't true with the correct inputs. So who's to say we aren't brains in jars, as the theory is based on, or even advanced AI, being fed sensory information and having our responses to that sensory information run through, possibly with a randomized element, and possibly with vague responses being filled in with whatever the program determines. There's nothing stopping that possibility, but no way to prove it, either. For now, though, I think we should concentrate on the mission at hand.

Loan datapads to Kyle, then head to and ransack the center building for anything useful. Take a few spare rifles for tinkering on as well, unloaded.

Lukas twitches as the latest contribution to their metaphysical debate came in. He kept telling himself not to respond, because he felt that the others would come to hate him for it. So he simulates coughs. *Cough* "That explanation... *cough* still presupposes a reality... *cough cough* where our brains were put into jars." Lukas twitches again. "I think this discussion might be affecting my circuits."
Pages: 1 ... 705 706 [707] 708 709 ... 1256