Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3942055 times)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: I Have no legs and I must Hike.
« Reply #6210 on: August 08, 2012, 10:46:48 am »

Spin the weight, try to make it arc like the weight of a grandfather clock.
You try to spin, shove, wobble, twist, and otherwise move the weight in any way possible. It doesn't budge an inch.

These monoliths, some kind of writing, perhaps? It certainly suggests intelligence, but from the shades? Or something else? Lighteater, perhaps?

Continue to examine the structure.

((Glad you're having a good time, PW.))
(When you say structure I assume you mean monolith.)

The monolith's design gives you no clues as to it's construction; like the tower itself it seems to have been carved from a single stone, it's rounded edges and slightly convex faces are as smooth as sandstone can be. [int:4] The marks on here don't follow any pattern of human language that you know. The marks are seemingly random in arrangement; they don't follow any sort of lines, horizontal, vertical, diagonal or otherwise, the ways they overlap don't seem to follow any sort of pattern, though you do see repeats on other monoliths, but the over all patterns, if they exist, still confound you.  Then again...maybe you're thinking about this the wrong way. These creatures don't "look" at things like you do.

"I doubt it'd be from the shades, at least as we understand them. I suppose a fallen empire isn't out of the question, though; Conrad did say they were very smart.

Also, I've gotten our full sweep of the exterior from ground level. I may need some help capturing the climby parts, though."

Begin filming everything I can reach in the tower itself. Examine it more closely in general, see if I can figure anything out about it.

You film the interior of the tower from the ground level, but there are 5 choices about how to go up. The first 2 ramps reach only half way up, the third gets to the fourth level, as does the fourth, but the 5th reaches only the first floor.

"We can find what built this inside the Citadel, or the things who killed the builders." Milno shrugs. "You never know."

After all the areas reachable without much difficulty are explored, Milno returns to the spot the wounded are.

((@Nikitian: Is Maurice going to stay out?))
You shrug and take the 5th ramp up to the first floor. The room it leads to is quite large, over 3 meters tall, and lacks any form of furniture; no tables, no beds, no chairs, no drawers, no cupboards, no nothing. Instead, what it has are walls and floors covered in alcoves of various sizes and shapes, but all roughly rounded. The largest one is partially separated into three chambers by rounded ridges. It looks like there are a few objects scattered around in the alcoves, specifically two in the floor and one in the wall.

((@Caellath For the sake of roleplaying, I supposed I'd have to stay that way for at least a night's worth of sleep (or however that long is to be perceived from the inside of the dream), but that should only be a rough estimate. Also, I'm actually a bit concerned that my next [End roll:1] would result in 'You quietly pass away in your sleep', so I'd rather not try doing that when our medics are occupied elsewhere. Now that Milno is nearby, I believe I have a chance, though  :) ))
Wake up (or at least start shaking off the coma).
[End:5]
You wake up.

You don't have a knife that I have listed...

((Was talking about the knife from last mission. At least I thought I still had it. Doesn't matter, I realize the action wouldn't have worked anyway))

Travis searches for tracks, ignoring the ones from his team. With no erosion, any tracks left behind eons ago should still be here. He also holds out his hand, to see if sand is falling here too, the only case of erosion that has been observed in this dimension
There don't seem to be any tracks around here; even your own are rather vague in the soft sand. You hold your hand out for several minutes and watch. It gets maybe 3 grains of sand on it.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6211 on: August 08, 2012, 10:57:20 am »

Go to the front of a monolith and make a fairly loud noise, a "ping", and see if I can tell any differences in the return sound.

If these things navigate by sound like the Shades do, then who's to say that information would be visual? These patterns would change soundwaves, both as waves and in return time.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6212 on: August 08, 2012, 11:04:43 am »

"Get the camera here."

Get someone to film the alcoves and objects then examine and collect them.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:10:11 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6213 on: August 08, 2012, 11:19:32 am »

Name: Jack Hansan
Appearance: Half a face with a robotic eye, scars all over his body.
Personal information: A strange man with a strange past, the first thing he did when he turned 18 was to burn his highschool school down. After that he went on a killing spree through his hometown and never got caught, a few years after that he blew up a space station where he finnaly was caught which is how he ended up being assigned to HMRC. He is known for his cynical views and at every opportunity to kill/blow up something, but sometimes he shows some kindness to people but only in some cases. Nothing else is kown about him.
Reason assigned to HMRC: Blew up a space station.
Stats
Strength:2
Dexterity:4
Endurance:5
Charisma:3
Intelligence:3
Willpower:3
Skills
Speach: 1
Instuition: 1
Handiwork:0
Conventional Weapons:1
Uncon Weapons:0
Exotic Weapons:1
Aux Systems: 1
Med Tech:0
Profession: Grunt +1 to Medical Tech and -1 to Handy work

Good enough? Oh and this picture sums up his faces appearance: http://1d4chan.org/images/thumb/c/c4/Komissar_by_kriegsmachine14.jpg/215px-Komissar_by_kriegsmachine14.jpg its the best and closest I could find.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6214 on: August 08, 2012, 11:22:23 am »

Watching Simus's strange behaviour gave Charro an excellent idea. He strode out into the middle of the room, surrounded by these 'monoliths', and spoke in his most commanding voice.

"Activate. ...Start? Go. Work! Start! ...Begin! Uhm, activate!" And so-forth.

>Tell this strange alien machinery to activate!

>Go through my vocabulary, using any words that I think could possibly work to activate it.

((Welcome! :) ))
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:24:03 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6215 on: August 08, 2012, 11:24:57 am »

Watching Simus's strange behaviour gave Charro an excellent idea. He strode out into the middle of the room, surrounded by these 'monoliths', and spoke in his most commanding voice.

"Activate. ...Start? Go. Work! Start! ...Begin! Uhm, activate!" And so-forth.

>Tell this strange alien machinery to activate!

>Go through my vocabulary, using any words that I think could possibly work to activate it.

((Welcome! :) ))

((Thanks!Why Wont my Avatar stay working?WHY?!?!))
Oh and whats happend so far?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:26:38 am by Tavik Toth »

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6216 on: August 08, 2012, 11:28:58 am »

Get soil and air samples.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6217 on: August 08, 2012, 11:29:51 am »

((Welcome to the HMRC. And for the "what has happened so far" thing, there were some deaths due to stupidity, bad luck, mass murder and a constant stream of bad ideas and not listening to sanity's voice.))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6218 on: August 08, 2012, 11:31:32 am »

((Ive read up to page 100-ish and that was enough to get me to join Bay12 forums and this game.do i just go to the on ship thread?))
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:46:14 am by Tavik Toth »

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6219 on: August 08, 2012, 11:54:13 am »

A few crazy thoughts run through Gorat's head. "I'll be back in a bit. Backtracking a few minutes to make sure I only endanger myself, if I do something that's even more stupid than the stupidity I'm thinking of, which shouldn't be dangerous. Probably won't do anything at all, really."

Go back along the path for about ten minutes, or until I reach the edge of the pitted lands, whatever occurs first. Move to the edge of the light path.

The amp allows manipulation of temperature, at least. But is it, in some way, capable of telling, measuring temperature? And capable of giving feedback on it? Unlikely, at a glance, but on the other hand, such control over temperature seems like it wants to have that information at hand...

Sit down. Concentrate on the amp, trying whether it can give feedback on the temperature of my surroundings, especially beyond the light path. No more than a foot away, though.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6220 on: August 08, 2012, 01:49:17 pm »

Head upstairs. Investigate objects and alcoves visually. What is their purpose?
"We, uh, need the camera up here guys."

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6221 on: August 08, 2012, 02:14:24 pm »

((@Tavik Toth Welcome to the HMRC! And yes, you just show up on the ship thread, as waking or just woken from the stasis. It goes on from there :) ))
Waking up, Maurice looks and listens, then, recognising no presence of immediate danger, checks his wounds and the teammates nearby.
Looks like we've reached the Tower. Half an arm for that, not too high a price. Though the burns probably indicate that these creatures have more than just razor-sharp limbs up their sleeves.
Stand up and look around. Take the air samples.
Sorry for being late. Have I missed anything major?
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6222 on: August 08, 2012, 02:17:51 pm »

I'm glad you're awake, Doc. We're doing some exploration of this tower, and it looks like there was something with higher intelligence here, and the possibility that only the entrance to this place is an anomaly. Oh, and the medic cauterized your arm to stop your bleeding, I guess we ran out of bandages or whatever is used to seal up wounds like that.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6223 on: August 08, 2012, 02:18:44 pm »

Sorry for being late. Have I missed anything major?
"I don't think so. Your hand was cut off and you had to be dragged away from the shades. Nothing else worth noting."
>Yes?

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6224 on: August 08, 2012, 02:47:52 pm »

I... see. I'm sorry for being a hindrance, though grateful for saving me.
As for the tower, it sounds interesting. I accidently overheard some of your earlier discussion, how do you know that they navigate by sound? Though it would certainly make sense of their rather strange behavior back in the Pits area. I can't remember, though, did they purposefully make noises?

Check if my suit is able to play the audio recordings it is continuously making.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.
Pages: 1 ... 413 414 [415] 416 417 ... 1256