Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3944001 times)

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: Into the Abyss
« Reply #5565 on: July 23, 2012, 01:52:56 am »

(( Well, given how odd the place is, I won't be too surprised to find out the material of which the trees are composed is the pure form of it, whatever it is.
Also, I'm hesitant to believe this is sodium even if it looks like one. Would totally vote for the water test. ... On the second thought, though, Thomas cut his hand deeply on a tree's branch, and I don't think there was mentioned any reaction going - not sure if there happened to be any blood poured on the branch, though. ))
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:56:03 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: July 23, 2012, 01:57:16 am »

((Plasma, you mean.

Also, it said consistency of pure sodium metal. This means that it may be only part of what we recognize as an element, and part anomalic property.

Due to it's cutting ability, I'd say this isn't pure sodium metal, but a mix of that and something else. As one of our group survived in this environment without his helmet, i.e. direct exposure to air, it is also safe to say that those trees aren't purely sodium or any of it's metallic-related brothers, something is holding up these trees, and I'm pretty sure my act won't kill anyone.

Sodium is a soft metal, we be soft mooks to cut ourselves on them trees :3))

Would totally vote for the water test. ...
((DO IT!))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: July 23, 2012, 02:09:28 am »

(( You are probably right, yes.
Hopefully I will survive this round to learn which idea was the closest to the truth, and be able to conduct the experiment. Just after we finish treating other survivors.

@piecewise Also, just asking, the food supplies we brought with us - are we supposed to take off our helmets to snack on them?))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: July 23, 2012, 02:11:39 am »

Hopefully I will survive this round to learn which idea was the closest to the truth, and be able to conduct the experiment. Just after we finish treating other survivors.
((How pessimistic of you.  :P))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5569 on: July 23, 2012, 02:22:50 am »

Ok, its 2am, I'm in a black room surrounded by unconscious people and have spent all day in a metal tube flying at 500 mph. Time to post and then sleep. Excuse any mistakes or insanity that leaks out.

((Why not ask in-character?))

>Stand there, hand extended and wait for someone to hand me a bit of tree.

You stand around, holding your hand out like a particularly pushy bellboy out for a tip.

Gorat films Travis's dig, documenting the truth about his suspicion that the "trees" break through the stone layer.

"I suspect setting the trees on fire works just as well as setting anything on fire in this world. Heating it up with an amp or manipulator may do... something, I guess."

Compare the trees that grow out of the stone here with the branches of the trees - does it seem like the trees grow in a pattern similar to the patterns the branches grow? As if the trees themselves were simply branches of a single larger structure?

Should Mason decide to heat up a tree, film it from a safe distance.

You wander around, studying the spacing and arrangement of the trees. There doesn't seem to be any pattern in the way the trees are distributed, except that they all seem to have roughly 4 meters of space between them and all of their neighbors.

((Yeah, the "examine" was just indicating to keep staring at it while concentrating into changing its shape. Even if it's alien, it is still uncon, right?))

"Don't."

Get some samples from the trees, following Conrad's instructions so I won't get cut, use gauntlet hand to collect samples (in a safe spot).

PS: Move a safe distance away from Mason. Safe as in several meters away. If things look ugly, activate EMM, save Dr.Conrad if needed and move ahead of the group and towards the campsite, avoiding the in-fighting shenanigans.

You snap a few branches off with your armored hand and make ready to swoop in and rescue Conrad should high temperature hilarity ensue.

"Gorat said something first.He said nothing about not doing it.....blame him!"
Heat a tree!
[uncon:5]
You type in the coordinates of the tree, carefully select the area to heat and the temperature, and then pound out the required math.

The selected section of the tree glows red with heat but doesn't seem to react  in any meaningful way.
A cold edge enters Travis's voice, all traces of his former anger evaporated

"If you insist"

Travis tries to get an angle where he won't hit one of his other team mates, aims at Mason's torso, and pulls the trigger

Actually, we might get to know its inner structure. I'd rather not try hacking down the tree with the Instrument, so if he wants to chance sacrificing his life in the name of science - well, it isn't something we have to interfere with, as long as he doesn't intend to do harm to others at the same time.

Just don't overdo it, okay?

Administer aid to Thomas; make sure we are somewhat away from Mason when he conducts the experiment. (Use the medi-foam from cans before other expendable things from the kit, unless doing so would waste too much of the substance to achieve the same effect.)

(( 'nicked the suit' - does it mean that it was breached? Asking because I'd rather not start losing my air and breathing this atmosphere. ))

((ninja'd! Also, my character totally understands Travis right now, but I'm not sure I should do anything.
EDIT: Well...))
Seeing the strange weapon that unnerved Maurice aim for Mason, doctor Sanctor went for it immediately, interrupting whatever he was doing at the moment.
Don't!..
Push the gun's 'barrel' towards the ground to throw the aim off Mason, but not endanger anyone else. (Then proceed with treating Thomas.)
You may kill him later if you want, but he isn't that dangerous to us now - not if we back off enough this time. Also, honestly, I don't like the look of this weapon. It strikes me as something even more lethal than the conventional gauss or laser weapons. For all I know the wounds dealt by it might be untreatable.
[Maurice dex: 2]
[Travis dex:3]

Maurice moves to protect Mason by disrupting Travis's aim, but Travis is too quick on the draw.
[con:3+1+1]
Travis take aim directly at Mason's gut and fired. An instant later a crystal the size of a grain of rice appears on his stomach and begins to grow instantly, expanding to the size of a watermelon sending out razor sharp tendrils which begin goring their way through mason's flesh. The crystal continues to grow.

Get away from Mr. Bad idea.

If you're going to do that, get yourself a glowstick, got off of the path using it to stay connected, and go to the edge of the light it makes. If you damage the path again, not only will the guy with the crystalline projector have shot you, but I've no doubt several of us would like to take that manipulator away. Count me among that number, but right now I'm not going for another scuffle.

To Doc Sanctor:

Let's get as far away from this moron as we can. In the meantime, I might be able to get a core sample like that with my wristblade.

Attempt to cut through a tree to the middle with my wristblade, then carve up and back out the same way I came for a core sample. Make sure the carved-out half is facing away from the group.

Also, does anyone else think that these trees look less like trees and more like... crystals of some sort?
You hack away at a tree with your blade, carving a section of it out  to examine. It looks exactly the same all the way through.

Snap off all the branches on one side of a tree near the edge of the lights, away from the group. Attempt to determine their strength. Put several of the tips in one container, several of the broader base sections in another.

Then cut the tree down completely, making sure it doesn't hit anyone, self included. Take a hefty section of the trunk, and begin cutting deeper into the ground, trying to find roots, a base, or just confirmation that it goes down further than I'm willing to dig with a cutting torch.

Have Chin film the entire process.

[dex:6+1]
You proceed to remove the branches of a tree via rapid fire punches which result in lots of completely useless fragments and not much else. Hm.

[Int:3]

You select a fairly good method of cutting and succeed on felling a tree with the only consequence that one of the branches fall directly on Chin's foot. And now the camera man only has one foot.

[chin end:1]

Chin, not unexpectedly, blacks out immediately after having his foot cut in half.

Take some of the soil.
You take a sample of soil while the rest of the team loses their damn minds.

((There needs to be a way that we can limit ourselves to getting good results if we overshoot with bonus', so we don't blow ourselves up with success. Otherwise, we might as well be safer just handling things with unskilled characters. Thoughts on this Mr. GM?))
Could look into artificial methods.

((All the fun happens when I'm inactive...buh. Also, token monopoly on samples!

Can anyone give a short description of what everyone else is doing, if possible?))

"Why is everyone trying to kill each other before we've even reached the dangerous parts?

"Mason, why don't you volunteer to be our vanguard. Maybe then, your expertise would have it's effect."

Feyri shifted her comm channel to Milno and Faith. "What is going on, and why do I feel a sense of insubordination in our ranks? People just won't shoot at each other for these occurrences."

Take part of the tree trunk bark by tesla cutting - Turn the knob to 20 degrees. Avoid any mishaps that would part my body in pieces. Store tree part in container when safe.

Have Chin film this, too.

You turn on your telsa sabre and try to use it to cut a sample from the closest tree. The Tesla sabre's electrical discharge crawls along the surface of the tree, arcing amongst the branches before seemingly dissipating harmlessly.

"See?" You say, "Nothing to worry abo-"

And then the tree discharges. A bolt of pure electricity finds its path to  the ground straight between your shoulder blades, down your spine and right leg before exiting into the sand.

[end:1]

You spasm like a ragdoll in a paintmixer and then drop to the ground in a heap, smoke and the smell of burnt flesh and rubber rising from the fresh hole in your suit.

(You are unconscious.)
(Mortal wound: 3 turns till death)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: July 23, 2012, 02:28:30 am »

((Well. Sh-

Time to create a new character. I knew I was useless.

Also, very precise discharge.   :'( ))

Dream of what may occur in the future if we make it to the Lost Cathedral, and if I'm alive.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:30:18 am by Tiruin »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: July 23, 2012, 02:34:41 am »

((Don't worry, your brain is fine. Your body just got mangled by electricity is all. The doctors on the ship can fix that. Also, Mason is screwed from having that crystal in his gut. Your a lot better off than he is right now.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: July 23, 2012, 02:36:46 am »

((Don't worry, your brain is fine. Your body just got mangled by electricity is all. The doctors on the ship can fix that. Also, Mason is screwed from having that crystal in his gut. Your a lot better off than he is right now.))
((I just want to do something substantial in a mission, with not being useless is all. Mason had it coming by action, I am the master of screwing myself up...

Also...didn't you see that mortal wound? Everyone will be busy sample collecting to save others without knowing that mortal wound. Just...unconscious.))

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: July 23, 2012, 02:38:34 am »

((The big, smoking hole in your suit is a dead giveaway that you're not doing so good. Dead giveaway... Bad choice of words there...

And your not useless! You totally kick ass in a fight and you saved Bishop's life. You're pretty cool in my book.))

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: July 23, 2012, 02:43:48 am »

((The big, smoking hole in your suit is a dead giveaway that you're not doing so good. Dead giveaway... Bad choice of words there...

And your not useless! You totally kick ass in a fight and you saved Bishop's life. You're pretty cool in my book.))
((Like I said, I curse Ohm's law.

Also, how did examination of the trees happen? Doesn't anyone have, or invent, a molecular//element scanner? Perhaps a DNA scanner, too?  :P

I'm glad this atmosphere is...survivable.

P.S. If there is to be any killing: Use Feyri's Laser Rifle!))
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:46:50 am by Tiruin »

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: July 23, 2012, 02:46:36 am »

((No one listens to Milno nor Caellath...Which is why that kind of thing happens.

@Tiruin: Is in-character for Feyri to keep having terrible ideas?))

Milno watches all the kind of stupid shenanigans happening around him, only shrugging. They really should think things through and either listen or ask him anything before deciding on the wrong way to go.

He had tried to convince Mason to stop and Travis not too shoot. Neither had listened to him, and so he just let Faith and Feyri go on with their ideas, which ended with expected consequences (true story, Milno wouldn't convince anyone to change their minds so I simply decided to omit any opinion he had on their actions :P).

"Well, now you guys did it. We'd at most have to fight something terrible at the Citadel, but now due to the combined efforts of your geniuses, we may end up short on manpower."

« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 02:56:40 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: July 23, 2012, 02:49:27 am »

((No one listens to Milno nor Caellath...Which is why that kind of thing happens.

Tiruin, did you really believe it would be a good idea to do that?))
((I did listen, but I chose to act by hypothesis, and know two things:
One is, the trees are conductive, and strangely have an electrical discharge method to the nearest positively aligned material
Two is, the knob on the Tesla Sabre affects it's length, power, and perhaps battery usage. That should have killed me.

Also, Milno didn't say anything when I talked to him for some reason. Anyway, that was also to make sure on another thing, but I'm not telling that reason even after I knew what the material was.  :P))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: July 23, 2012, 02:52:18 am »

NO!
Treat Mason by cutting out the flesh chunk with the growing crystal inside. ...Don't cut it too close to the crystal, leave some much space for it in order to securely contain the growth inside the part I am cutting out. Don't touch the crystal myself.
If it comes to the worst, just cut off the upper part of the body, as much as it contains the brain and is not yet contaminated by the crystal thing.

((Uh, sorry Tiruin, I wasn't exactly focused on Feyri at the moment, you are less in danger of perma-death and you still have some time. I will turn my attention to you as soon as I finish with Mason. Also, I am not the only medic on the team, after all.  ::) 
And yes, Feyri is totally a badass in my book, ever since the first mission. We'll yet need your insane powerslide techniques to overcome whatever horrors dwell ahead on our journey  ;)

Oh, and poor Thomas will also have to wait for a few moments  :P

@Caellath Maurice does listen to Milno too. And, well, I also try to - at least sometimes.  ;) ))
EDIT: Stand away for the moment as someone shoots the crystal, then return to cutting if it didn't help.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 04:53:32 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: July 23, 2012, 02:54:33 am »

((Also, Milno didn't say anything when I talked to him for some reason. Anyway, that was also to make sure on another thing, but I'm not telling that reason even after I knew what the material was.  :P))
((I explain why he didn't talk anything in my post. Frankly, Milno can't keep babysitting the group; he talked to Mason and Travis and neither listened to him, so if people want to keep going with their ideas, he'll let them if it doesn't bring him any harm.))
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: July 23, 2012, 02:55:43 am »

((Also, Milno didn't say anything when I talked to him for some reason. Anyway, that was also to make sure on another thing, but I'm not telling that reason even after I knew what the material was.  :P))
((I explain why he didn't talk anything in my post. Frankly, Milno can't keep babysitting the group; he talked to Mason and Travis and neither listened to him, so if people want to keep going with their ideas, he'll let them if it doesn't bring him any harm.))
((You didn't say a word to Feyri or Faith...But I could see the stress there, got it.

Also, I wonder what Conrad is thinking right now. :3))

PP

((You didn't say a word to Feyri or Faith...))
((Yep. He didn't say anything because the chances were they (especially Faith) would go "BUT IT WILL WORK, I'LL DO IT ANYWAY", so yes. And Milno had already tried to convince people before to no avail. Frankly, as far as he's concerned, if he's able to finish the mission it's all fine since people would rather be impulsive than ask the guide.))

Edit: Now Faith will look for treasure under the spot the tree was and let Gorat die of bleeding. :P))

((I thought people did that...

Wait, nobody asked about the tree's composition or what happened upon venturing into the woods?! I thought you all did, hence my action for sampling.

PvE?  :P))
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 03:03:11 am by Tiruin »
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 1256