Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3940872 times)

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: Into the Abyss
« Reply #5430 on: July 21, 2012, 12:37:08 am »

"I'd rather not go yet. It's not like we are in a hurry. We are under no time pressure and there's no imminent danger, unlike in most missions. We're in the safest part of the dimension. We should just wait until the guide wakes up, or take him back for medical attention, if he doesn't. Also, there are still many anomalies we can document here and collect. Take this sandstone floor. Why is the sand only a few inches deep? Actually, why is there sand in the first place? There's no rain, wind, or sunlight. We should experiment a bit while we wait for the guide to wake up"
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: July 21, 2012, 12:44:34 am »

Charro nodded agreement at Travis's words.
"I can't argue with that. Hardly seems like a good idea to go running about in this place, where our entire knowledge of the area comes from a sketchy little map." He sat down by the rope, a short distance from Conrad.
"I think waiting is our best bet." He frowned slightly as he thought of something, looking uncertainly at the unconscious figure.
"...Unless he's dead, or something. That would be bad."

(Private channel to Maurice): "Erm... You're welcome, I suppose? Not like I accomplished anything."

>Wait for the guide to awaken. (unless someone goes carrying him off somewhere, then I had better follow them.)
>If Conrad doesn't show signs of waking up soon, begin searching the safe, lit area for any good poking sticks.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: July 21, 2012, 12:45:38 am »

"That's a really good idea, actually. Miss with the wrist blades, could you cut through the sandstone down there?"
Thomas scoops enough sand into a sample jar to expose the sandstone.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: July 21, 2012, 12:48:34 am »

Maurice sighs lightly.
Okay. You are right, it doesn't look like we are in a hurry.
As for the sand and all - it still bothers me that the entrance was inside that old refrigerator. Silly as it seems, can this place be actually thematically connected to the said refrigerator?
It is cold here, after all, and gets colder the deeper we go, according to our guide. Plus that old trick with the contents being submersed into complete darkness when the door is closed, and it is the same moment when you open the door and when the light appears. Could this place have it backwards, for example?
Still, too little evidence. I don't even remember if that refrigerator looked like it had that kind of light switch installed, though. We should ask Conrad.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:51:36 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: July 21, 2012, 12:49:11 am »

Private channel to Doctor Sanctor:Milno? That's his name? No matter, I can deal with him using silence. It won't be pleasnt, but I can. Though he does need to learn that sometimes, a cigar really is just a cigar.

Back on the public channel: Doctor Sanctor, perhaps we should set up some lamps to replace them? And, perhaps, wait for the guide to awaken?

Help Dr. Sanctor help Mason up.

It would take a lot to even get me to slash at one of you, anyways. Like he said -

Motion to Travis

- people have been controlled before, and they're a lot more likely to set me off, as they'd be more belligerent. I'm not going to hold a grudge for something so minor, he tried to charge me and got floored, even if it was his own clumsiness. The books balance, no need to let it fester.

Go over to Thomas and attempt to cut through the sandstone with my wristblade. If any comes off as a result, take it as a sample.

Doctor, that's an interesting theory of yours, but I'm no Spatial Anomaly Theorist, so I can't say.

((All of you and your ninja'ing my post.))
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 12:54:45 am by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: July 21, 2012, 12:53:48 am »

I just want to have it said now that I will not hesitate if a team member comes at me with malicious intent.

However, that does not mean that I'm a "Temporary Neutral Party". I will only act so harshly in my defense.

"Cutting someone's head off because they punch you in the nose does not sound like an ally or comrade to me. You might well be less our teammate than Lighteater is, by that metric."

It would take a lot to even get me to slash at one of you, anyways. Like he said (motion to Travis), people have been controlled before, and they're a lot more likely to set me off, as they'd be more belligerent. I'm not going to hold a grudge for something so minor, he tried to charge me and got floored, even if it was his own clumsiness. The books balance, no need to let it fester.
"Then why'd you make such a point to tell him that if he tried to punch you again you'd go to town on him with a pair of monoatomic razors?"
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: July 21, 2012, 01:02:09 am »

Cutting someone up because they are trying to murder me, maybe. As I just said, it would take a lot for such a major action.

And I was making a point that I don't want him to try that again. The fact I put my weapon away after getting off of him is significant, in this matter. As is the fact that I never said, "Or I will go to town on you with this." The intent was to intimidate. Reason being, I learned early on that there are two ways to stop continued violence, intimidation, or breaking them so badly that they cannot continue. I prefer the former to the latter, but am still capable. Diplomacy only works when both parties involved are receptive. I am, but someone who has run up to hit you can be thought of as not being receptive, for the time being. I would prefer this route, but, as I said, it is not usually available.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: July 21, 2012, 01:10:26 am »

"Ladies, ladies." Charro rolled his eyes behind his faceplate.
"Can this discussion wait til later? We're all kinda on-edge here, and the sooner Mister Conrad here wakes up so we can move on, the better. Aren't you supposed to be the doctors or something, anyway? Shouldn't you be fixing him?"
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: July 21, 2012, 01:13:59 am »

Enthusiasm entered Travis's voice

"Maurice, am I right? That is a brilliant theory. See. This is the kind of thinking we need. Outside the box. We are in unknown territory. We are scientists here! We are explorers on the frontier! We shouldn't bicker, we should explore! Investigate! Test! Doesn't that get you excited?

Maybe I got a bit too excited. But come on, isn't your curiosity perked? Let's see if there's something under this rock"
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: July 21, 2012, 01:26:07 am »

Milno also digs a little into the sand and examines the stone underneath unless the group finally starts moving.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: July 21, 2012, 01:42:54 am »

"Ladies, ladies." Charro rolled his eyes behind his faceplate.
"Can this discussion wait til later? We're all kinda on-edge here, and the sooner Mister Conrad here wakes up so we can move on, the better. Aren't you supposed to be the doctors or something, anyway? Shouldn't you be fixing him?"
I am currently thinking of ways to do that.

Oh, and I am not sure if we should replace the lamps, there doesn't seem to be too many of them. Then again, if we are chased back to the entrance by some abhorrent moster invulnerable to our weapons, or just the whole pocket dimension being about to collapse, we can die because of this darkened section of the path.

Enthusiasm entered Travis's voice

"Maurice, am I right? That is a brilliant theory. See. This is the kind of thinking we need. Outside the box. We are in unknown territory. We are scientists here! We are explorers on the frontier! We shouldn't bicker, we should explore! Investigate! Test! Doesn't that get you excited?

Maybe I got a bit too excited. But come on, isn't your curiosity perked? Let's see if there's something under this rock"
Oh thank you. I am honestly being flattered by your words. But yes, I share your excitement about this place. Just... let us not forget it is not uninhabited, and further along our way the locals might be less impotent to cause harm to us, as the guide pointed out. Especially at the end of our journey.

Which reminds me to ask, while the guide is not with us: Are we going to hunt the Lighteater? I am not bloodthirsty, but if the Lost Citadel is actually what the Tower would've been if it weren't ruined, more of its kin may await us there, and quite possibly those would be less neutral. I'd want to know what it is capanle of, and how much punishment it can endure. And, of course, the science awaits - catching him alive would've been even better for that purpose, but we don't have a cage big enough, do we?
Of course it can be considered... evil of us to attack the poor creature out of the blue. Then again, I've heard that we have wiped out an entire alien race not too long ago and didn't make too much problem of it - which makes me suppose the professional ethics of the HMRC is to uphold the interests of humanity over any others.

Just understood: we should try communicating with it! And if that fails, then... other approaches can be tried - if we agree to it.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:48:28 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: July 21, 2012, 01:54:58 am »

Hence why I asked before we came in if Conrad knew whether or not the Lighteater is truly sentient, or if it is acting on its instincts, as an animal would. I think it would be fascinating if it is the former, but, it is much more likely the latter.

As for killing it, I don't know. If it is truly sentient, then I would be most against that course of action, however, if it is not, then capture would be preferable. However, again, like sapience, capturing it is essentially out of the question, so that leaves killing it, if it can even be killed.

I would be content to leave it be, but if the rest of you wish to go for it, then I would be most helpful, as, in all likelihood, I have one of the very few, if any, heavy weapons of the group.

Take out the grenade launcher.

The bad news about that is that I have only three shells, all different, and one unlikely to work. High-EX would be my first choice, though, because I know for a fact that if any of you are going to be going in close, that my 'Beehive' frag round would rip you to shreds. This is all assuming, of course, that any of them work at all. If fire does not function, will explosives?

Put the launcher away.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 01:56:49 am by PyroDesu »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: July 21, 2012, 02:00:04 am »

Cutting someone up because they are trying to murder me, maybe. As I just said, it would take a lot for such a major action.

And I was making a point that I don't want him to try that again. The fact I put my weapon away after getting off of him is significant, in this matter. As is the fact that I never said, "Or I will go to town on you with this." The intent was to intimidate. Reason being, I learned early on that there are two ways to stop continued violence, intimidation, or breaking them so badly that they cannot continue. I prefer the former to the latter, but am still capable. Diplomacy only works when both parties involved are receptive. I am, but someone who has run up to hit you can be thought of as not being receptive, for the time being. I would prefer this route, but, as I said, it is not usually available.

"Oh, so the better way to handle that would have been for me to threaten you? Pulling a knife on somebody hardly makes you seem 'receptive,' now does it?"

Which reminds me to ask, while the guide is not with us: Are we going to hunt the Lighteater? I am not bloodthirsty, but if the Lost Citadel is actually what the Tower would've been if it weren't ruined, more of its kin may await us there, and quite possibly those would be less neutral. I'd want to know what it is capanle of, and how much punishment it can endure. And, of course, the science awaits - catching him alive would've been even better for that purpose, but we don't have a cage big enough, do we?
Of course it can be considered... evil of us to attack the poor creature out of the blue. Then again, I've heard that we have wiped out an entire alien race not too long ago and didn't make too much problem of it - which makes me suppose the professional ethics of the HMRC is to uphold the interests of humanity over any others.

Just understood: we should try communicating with it! And if that fails, then... other approaches can be tried - if we agree to it.
"Lighteater's not hostile and he might be intelligent; we're not butchering him for parts. If we're lucky we might even get on his good side, assuming he has one."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: July 21, 2012, 02:28:15 am »

No. Let me give you a hypothetical, since I probably can't be clear enough on what I mean without.

You are attacked by someone, with open malice. There is a pause, and you get the opportunity to speak, attack, and/or make a feint in an attempt to get them to stop.

If you try to talk them down, you will be rewarded with nothing, as he has approached you in malice and will not listen to reason. You continue to be assaulted.

If you attack, it can go two ways:
1: You are superior: They are broken, no longer able or willing to continue.
2: You are not superior: They likely increase the severity of their attack.

If you feint, attempt to intimidate them, whether you can back it up or not, it can go three ways:
1: They back down, the situation is resolved bloodlessly.
2: They do not, but may remain cautious in their attack, as they really don't know whether you can back up your feint.
3: They do not, and increase the severity of their attack.

The last is less of a gamble than the second, as you have a 66.6% chance that it will go more towards you, 33.3% that you gain a slight advantage, 33.3% that it ends. The second is more of a gamble than the first, with a 50% chance that it will end, but in a severe fashion. The first is the worst, as your attacker will not be receptive and will continue, a 100% chance that it will not go your way.

I assume on principal, and it usually is so, that a person who came in clear malice will not stop if you try to reason with them, especially if the engagement has already begun, as their rational thought is clouded by their fight-or-flight response, and will make snap decisions. That part is simple human nature. It is also why I was more irrational immediately after the scuffle, the adrenaline burst that is a major factor in it had not yet run out.

Make of that what you will, but we need to keep our sights on the mission at hand. Discuss it with me back at the ship, if you must.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: July 21, 2012, 02:35:05 am »

(Since no one else bothered...

Mrow
hiss hiss
meow

:P)
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 1256