Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3941411 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: Into the Abyss
« Reply #5340 on: July 20, 2012, 03:07:50 pm »

"Ugh, great," Faith said over the comm. "Exactly what we needed right now.

Sorry about your lamps, Mr. Conrad. Hope they won't be too hard to replace."

Attempt to crawl to where I think the path ahead is. If I get more than 10 meters without finding it, give up and stop moving, gently pawing around for any shades nearby.

(But if people can't use them how will they get experiance, and non-occly theres 1/6 chance of it happening to anyone.)
((Strictly speaking, there's no connection. You could do nothing at all on missions and still get better at them.

But in general, I think the issue isn't so much manipulators as manipulators too close to teammates. Kind of like explosives in that regard.))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: July 20, 2012, 03:11:23 pm »

(But if people can't use them how will they get experiance, and non-occly theres 1/6 chance of it happening to anyone.)
((If you get 9 points in the skill you get a +1 to the roll, so most problems tend to fade. May hasn't screwed up in manipulator usage so far, so non-oocly we can say she/it has been relatively competent.

And I was mostly kidding. I thought the "menace" part made it clear. :P

Manipulators are to be used as last-ditch options and only when you have a realatively safe distance from your teammates, unless you are specialized in Unconventional.))
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:13:13 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: July 20, 2012, 03:14:38 pm »

((If you get 9 points in the skill you get a +1 to the roll, so most problems tend to fade. May hasn't screwed up in manipulator usage so far, so non-oocly we can say she/it has been relatively competent.

And I was mostly kidding. I thought the "menace" part made it clear. :P

Manipulators are to be used as last-ditch options and only when you have a realatively safe distance from your teammates, unless you are specialized in Unconventional.))
((Should we let him borrow the gauss rifle?))

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: July 20, 2012, 03:28:19 pm »

((@Caellath Neither I nor my character would argue over that ban of yours (though for different reasons), but I should point out that the only real way to use the manipulators (as well as practice medicine, let us face it) safely is to get a dynamic bonus to the appropriate skill. 'Having experience' (= having at least +1 to the corresponding roll, right?) just means that instead of having a good chance to be, say, cooked alive instead of the intended target we are likely to get cooked alive together with the said target. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: July 20, 2012, 03:37:18 pm »

((@Nikitian: Usually overshooting still fares better, as in less threatening to teammates, than a very low roll.

Edit: Fooor example, the case of Erik. Amps are manipulators built into your brain, and when Jim overshot with his bonus, it only created a lance of searing heat that sent part of the group to the ground, but no further damage was caused and Erik was killed. A [1] with no bonus to the roll would probably have either melted part of Jim's own body or a teammate right off the bat.))
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 03:40:40 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: July 20, 2012, 03:42:40 pm »

See how much light is coming off of my luminescent pauldrons, grenade launcher, and grenades.

Crack a glowstick, hold it at arm's length and turn on the spot in a circle until it catches light again.

I knew it would be a good idea to get one of these things. If you all turn your suit lamps on, I'll find you, once you're facing me. And Doctor Sanctor, prepare yourself for a slightly forceful pull, I'm going to try to bring you into my light area with that rope you handed me.

Pull Doc Sanctor into the range of the glowstick.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:32:28 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: July 20, 2012, 03:43:42 pm »

Lights on. Check if the camera is ok.

"I hope you can repair that." Gorat stands up, turning on the lamp and checking the camera. "So those are the shades. You also mentioned a Wyrm..."
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: July 20, 2012, 03:46:47 pm »

(I would enjoy a gun yes, also I really want to either be very unlucky and only roll 1's, or save everyones ass'es.)
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: July 20, 2012, 03:54:11 pm »

((At least when Simus rolls a 1, it won't be as bad as a field manipulator 1.

Unless she's using the ClF3 grenade, and even then, she has time to disarm it before it goes off.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: July 20, 2012, 04:15:43 pm »

Thank you! You are the best, Simulacrus. Maurice smiled.

((@Caellath Well, yes, you are probably right - though the fact Jim didn't burn anyone when he melted the elevator's floor still allowed for that fall, and it might've been way more fatal if the gravity was higher. And we should also take into account that a super-overshoot (8+) might turn out making up for that difference between failing and overshooting. Well, anyway, I've reminded us of the great danger the (super?)overshoots with a manipulator present, so that's it.  ;) ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5350 on: July 20, 2012, 04:19:41 pm »

((@Nikitian: I think the big lesson is: use common sense whenever applicable and you'll be fine in the end, and that applies to any weapon and action. :P

And about the dynamic bonuses, the only person I remember seeing with one of these during combat was the armory master, during her fight against Feyri in the VR.))
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:25:12 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5351 on: July 20, 2012, 04:23:45 pm »

"Idiot. Idiot. Idiot. What were you trying to do, heat the sand!?"

Travis turns on his lamps and places his hand at the stream of light, reflecting part of it and connecting it to his cameras. He circles around and tries to find the path again

-Once the situation is resolved-

"How do you know the Stilt Walkers are 90 meters tall? Did you find one laying down?"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:37:57 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: July 20, 2012, 04:29:46 pm »

"Hey that reminds me, once we're out of this I need a favor from someone with a microwave amp. A safe favor, hopefully."
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: July 20, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »

((@Caellath Oh. Maybe you are right. Haven't thought about it from that point of view.
And wow, there actually are any dynamic bonuses applied to things other than crafting! I mean, things I have said about those bonuses were pretty much conjectures, with little hard evidence.

@Orb He said 90 metres, not feet.  That would amount to about 300 feet. ))
Past Sigs

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: July 20, 2012, 04:34:41 pm »

((He said 90 metres, not feet.  That would amount to about 300 feet. ))
((F*&$))
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 1256