Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3940028 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: Into the Abyss
« Reply #5310 on: July 20, 2012, 01:50:29 am »

((Oh, and by the way, could someone remind me who is the camera bearer? ))
((I'm also curious because the camera hasn't been mentioned since the briefing.))

Milno also collects some of the soil and turns "buzz" mode on for a short period of time to check if his MkIII will be impaired from flying.
((It was Milno, we voted on it.  :P

If not...I guess I'll volunteer.))

A thought came to Feyri.

"Is it possible to...capture the specimens//creatures that stalk this place, in a safe way?"

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5311 on: July 20, 2012, 01:50:39 am »

Doctor, you bear a good point there, although air might not be a the best sample, as it's essentially normal, other than a lower level of oxygen. According to Conrad, at least. Even still, I guess, we're in an anomaly. No harm in it.

Using the smallest air-tight container, "capture" some air.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5312 on: July 20, 2012, 01:51:00 am »

"I'd be more concerned with figuring out a way to find anyone should they get lost than making sure we don't lose any samples along with them," Faith said, looking at Nikitian funny. "I'm all in favor of multiple samples just for the sake of backups or having extra, but I really don't think 'hey what if the guy carrying these dies' should be a major factor in our decision making process."

She then turned to their guide.

"By the way, how do directional lamps work with that, uh... bubble principle? And what's keeping these lamps you've got here active?"

((I'm also curious because the camera hasn't been mentioned since the briefing.))
((We never decided. Two people said Milno, Faith said someone other than Milno, then... it just kind of drifted off.

Though I'm kind of curious about that because I thought our suits all came with cameras anyway. Maybe this one's higher quality?))
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5313 on: July 20, 2012, 01:54:05 am »

((We never decided. Two people said Milno, Faith said someone other than Milno, then... it just kind of drifted off.

Though I'm kind of curious about that because I thought our suits all came with cameras anyway. Maybe this one's higher quality?))
((By the way, why someone other than Milno? The recording would come with his snarky comments.))
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:59:08 am by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5314 on: July 20, 2012, 01:56:16 am »

((By the way, why someone other than Milno? The recording would come with his snarky comments.))
((Reason 1 acquired.

Reason 2 is that Faith doesn't have any faith whatsoever in his scientific ability.

Reason 3 is that every time he does something interesting, it's a lot more fun to watch from afar than first-person. Erik fight would be a good example.))
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5315 on: July 20, 2012, 02:30:47 am »

((@IronyOwl Eh, you mean Maurice, Nikitian died in the dam accident  :P ))
That one is rather easy - just keep physical contact no matter what. A good long rope or two would have certainly made things way easier, but as well we can go hand in hand.
And... Don't think I am not concerned with that. It is that I realise that Steve would not be too patient to let us waste a few months or years looking for someone missing. Have you ever had someone you know missing in action? I had, and that's not exactly the best experience you'd want to have.

Turning to Simus, Maurice replied in a clearly merrier voice:
Well, I suppose that further from the entrance its differences from the 'normal air' would be more evident, if there indeed are any, so I am going to get a couple more of those on our way to the Lost Citadel.
(( Actually, if the rocket pods are still functional, Milno's Mk III ability to fly would make him an ideal camera man, even more so if the monsters that lurk in these shadows are all ground-based. That would also save us the need to protect the camera with our own lives (in a gamble to get a few tokens (probably from the camera person, not Steve) for assistance), by the way. ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #5316 on: July 20, 2012, 02:40:50 am »

Again, as I mentioned, we're in an anomaly. Can't hurt. I'll be collecting soil samples at each area marked on the map, and backing up your air samples. As well, in the dead forest area, I may collect a twig or two, if any are visible without going off the path, and at any location where rocks are available. Anything else will be quite specific to the location, and I'll determine what samples I collect then.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5317 on: July 20, 2012, 02:56:36 am »

Sounds good. I'll back up your soil samples then, as well as the others.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5318 on: July 20, 2012, 05:36:26 am »

((Right, right. Maurice.

And Milno's ability to fly will be almost entirely useless here, given that he needs to stay within light to see anything. He could probably move around faster, assuming that didn't endanger the lamps, but he wouldn't really be getting much in the way of aerial shots.))

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #5319 on: July 20, 2012, 06:44:02 am »

Mason sighs and reoriantates himself after his less than spectacular entry, He was amazed at the physics of this new reality, Deciding to make himself usefull He

Took a sample of the air(just incase) an dthen heated a small area n the ground to see if it had a noticible effect.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5320 on: July 20, 2012, 11:37:09 am »

That'll play hell with our laser weapons, no doubt. Our kinetic weapons should work fine, however, if we need them.

Collect a sample of the sand, maybe 5oz, seal it into a container, pocket it and follow our guide.

Is the whole path marked in this manner? If it is, then it'll be simple enough for everyone to stay on it, because moving off of it would almost guarantee that you might never find it again... Which, in my opinion, at least, is one of the most moronic things one of us could do.
You gather some sand and continue on with the guide.

"The whole path is marked like this. Even if the lights go out, the rope is still there for you to follow." he says patting the thick rope between each post.

((Whew. Yay for cutting things!))

"How'd you choose this route, by the way? Chance, or was there something special?"

Collect some sand. Follow guide.
You gather some sand and fall in line behind the guide.

"We picked a direction and just went with it. It's not like we could survey the place, least not at any real distance. The searchlights back at the beginning let us look around a bit, but not very far."

Charro picked himself up after his ungainly landing, dusting himself off before looking around.
"Oh, my. That's... Interesting." He hastened to keep up with Conrad, peering warily through the darkness.
"So these are the 'plains', then? Or are we not there yet?" He realised he was speaking in a hushed voice in the surroundings, and felt slightly foolish. Still, it just seemed... Appropriate.

>Follow! Hands by my sides, ready to wield hat in case of attack.
You follow along with the guide, hat at the ready.

"These are the plains." The guide kicks some sand, "Not exactly rolling green, but it's flat enough."

((Mmph, this is what it feels to be left out. Yet in action...))

((Q: Does the Laser Rifle's light or weaponry power work? With all the discussion in the VR, does it-...wait, let me ask IC.))

Feyri moved along with the rest, glad to see familiar faces amongst the crowd of hardened ones - not to say the former weren't as hardened. "Are lasers affected by the anomaly, in any area? Most can't give off light, but is it...um, affected by it? Being only on one wavelength that is...

"Did you also meet anything hostile along the way?"

"And what happened to your older brother, if I may ask?"
(You should read back over the posts earlier. This was all discussed, and around a table so you would have heard it.)

"Very interesting. Now I know you mentioned some of the wildlife is a 'flame', and therefore creates its own light. Is that true of all the wildlife you've encountered, and if not, have you determined how they 'see'?

Also, is the size of the light bubble dependent on intensity?"

Follow along. This will be an auto action unless I state otherwise

"And what happened to your older brother, if I may ask?"

((He disappeared in the Lost Citadel. I assume we'll be having a...Hallelujah reunion when we get there))

"This is where you're going. It was the farthest my older brother ever got, and I've never been there myself. It's where he went missing. I can't tell you wants in there, but my brother seemed to think it was something important. I hope you can find what he did."
"Flame is just how I'd describe it. It doesn't create it's own light. I don't now how they see, or how they seem to be attracted to light when they shouldn't even know it's there. They're like moths to a flame, drawn to it but most can't stand being in it. The little ones are out there right now," he waves his arm to the side of the bubble, "Circling on the edges."

(( Oh, I weep for not being able to tinker-prepare for this mission with the advice the man gave us. For example, we could have made some equipment to detect things with the use of sound-waves instead of photons... ))
Just asking, but haven't anyone tried using a sonar system to provide for longer-range reconnaissance? Like the one which helps the bats to navigate the way. The atmosphere is here, right? Or is something strange with sounds here too?
Collect a sample of air here into the tiniest air-tight container I have.
((Just asking, roughly about how much of those do we have? ))

By the way, I suggest we take each sample in duplicate or triplicate - by different people, that is. After we get out of this place, the extra samples of the same substances may be dumped (the priority in keeping the sample, if any, should probably have the person who initially decided to collect them), but it looks like the possibility of being forever stranded (or worse) here should not be taken lightly. I am not saying we are going to leave anyone behind that easy, but we may really be unable to find him (or her) despite all our efforts, thus unfortunately wasting his life as well as the samples - and the ingenuity of taking which   he had. I suggest seeing this as a last courtesy to the person gone missing.

EDIT: Also collect a sample of the soil.

"You're still thinking about it like out there." Conrad says as you gather air and sand, "Everything here is finite. Sonar gets out maybe 100 feet in any direction. And there isn't a lot for it to bounce off of around here, save for the wildlife. We dragged a sonar system from here to the tower before and didn't find much beyond swarms of shades and the stiltwalkers."

Milno also collects some of the soil and turns "buzz" mode on for a short period of time to check if his MkIII will be impaired from flying.
Camera has defaulted to Chin, since he was our extra.  Someone more active could take it from him though, because the footage is worth more depending on what they film.

You grab some soil and turn on your rockets. Nothing happens.

((It was Milno, we voted on it.  :P

If not...I guess I'll volunteer.))

A thought came to Feyri.

"Is it possible to...capture the specimens//creatures that stalk this place, in a safe way?"
"Might be able to catch a shade, they come close to the path and are pretty small. But they can't survive in light, so you'd need a blacked out container."

Doctor, you bear a good point there, although air might not be a the best sample, as it's essentially normal, other than a lower level of oxygen. According to Conrad, at least. Even still, I guess, we're in an anomaly. No harm in it.

Using the smallest air-tight container, "capture" some air.
You take a sample of air.

"I'd be more concerned with figuring out a way to find anyone should they get lost than making sure we don't lose any samples along with them," Faith said, looking at Nikitian funny. "I'm all in favor of multiple samples just for the sake of backups or having extra, but I really don't think 'hey what if the guy carrying these dies' should be a major factor in our decision making process."

"By the way, how do directional lamps work with that, uh... bubble principle? And what's keeping these lamps you've got here active?"

All your suits have cameras, but they're not the best quality. The Camera Chin is carrying is very high quality and shooting at several thousand frames a second.

"Your lamps will work fine as long as you're in the path, but your eyes aren't in the cone created by the beam, so on their own they won't help you.  Doesn't matter too much though, there's a supply  of lanterns and rope light at the bottom of The Fall. My brother brought it there to light up The Citadel, but he never got around to it.

And these lights," he flicks one of the powerful blubs as he passes it,"Run on high power batteries with low power consumption lights. They'll be glowing long after were all dead, assuming you don't smash 'em or the Lighteater doesn't take it."

((@IronyOwl Eh, you mean Maurice, Nikitian died in the dam accident  :P ))
That one is rather easy - just keep physical contact no matter what. A good long rope or two would have certainly made things way easier, but as well we can go hand in hand.
And... Don't think I am not concerned with that. It is that I realise that Steve would not be too patient to let us waste a few months or years looking for someone missing. Have you ever had someone you know missing in action? I had, and that's not exactly the best experience you'd want to have.

Turning to Simus, Maurice replied in a clearly merrier voice:
Well, I suppose that further from the entrance its differences from the 'normal air' would be more evident, if there indeed are any, so I am going to get a couple more of those on our way to the Lost Citadel.
(( Actually, if the rocket pods are still functional, Milno's Mk III ability to fly would make him an ideal camera man, even more so if the monsters that lurk in these shadows are all ground-based. That would also save us the need to protect the camera with our own lives (in a gamble to get a few tokens (probably from the camera person, not Steve) for assistance), by the way. ))
(If you read the whole big intro post, you do have ropes.)

Mason sighs and reoriantates himself after his less than spectacular entry, He was amazed at the physics of this new reality, Deciding to make himself usefull He

Took a sample of the air(just incase) an dthen heated a small area n the ground to see if it had a noticible effect.
You take a sample of air before attempting to heat up the ground a bit, just to make sure it still has an effect.

[uncon:1]

You type "Heat sand plz and thank U" into your manipulator and then hit execute. It chirps and buzzes for a moment before an orb the size of a softball and glowing red hot appears, hovering a few feet above the ground . Huh.

(At this point you're all maybe about a half mile from the start an Mason just dropped that down in your midst.)

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5321 on: July 20, 2012, 11:53:50 am »

Milno watches the glowing ball of heat appear and hover over the ground.
"Due to repeated trouble caused by people who think themselves as geniuses and keep fiddling with these manipulators like they are toys for 'special' kids, there is a new rule you should follow: don't use them unless you know how to. Meaning don't use them."

Avoid the ball of heat if it is in the way, if it happens to be particularly difficult to avoid activate the EMM. Try to catch a shade, using a container which allows no light inside. Try to get them in the darkness near the spheres of light as told by the old man.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 01:00:20 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #5322 on: July 20, 2012, 12:08:42 pm »

Feyri nodded, and decided to shoot all her questions one at a time. "Is it possible to, oh, capture part of the anomalic substance? If we can create a blackened container, that would at least hold a shade, or any of the other creatures, yes?

"How did the Lighteater get your arm anyway? As in, what did it do? And in what method did you lose your younger brother? Forgive me for asking, but I'm curious.

"Milno, it doesn't look like the law of thermodynamics works here, out of the lightzone that is.

"Now...anyone want to take a snapshot of this certain area?"

Ask.

All your suits have cameras, but they're not the best quality. The Camera Chin is carrying is very high quality and shooting at several thousand frames a second.
[...]
((Um, who is Chin? Or is someone actually carrying the camera? Excuse my comprehension there, if wrong.))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5323 on: July 20, 2012, 12:12:44 pm »

"Well, if you want to test which laws are in effect at this moment, you can stick your arm into that glowing sphere and discover if it is hot. I am sure that your finding will be greatly appreciated by the rest of the group."

Milno quipped back at Feyri while pointing at the aforementioned red hot sphere.
>Yes?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #5324 on: July 20, 2012, 12:28:13 pm »

Camera has defaulted to Chin, since he was our extra.  Someone more active could take it from him though, because the footage is worth more depending on what they film.
((I blame time zones. Also a long day. But mostly time zones.))

Gorat "Chin" had kept back during the introduction, checking the camera work. Especially check whether I can do periodical backups to the wrist computer. He starts filming before entering the anomaly, filming the throw to document the behavior of light, doing a sweep of the surroundings, as they were, staying away from the glowing sphere.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 12:57:25 pm by Knight Otu »
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 353 354 [355] 356 357 ... 1256