Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3943257 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 4: Oh shi-
« Reply #4140 on: June 22, 2012, 06:15:58 pm »

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and sign up for this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

((Welcome to the trainwreck that is Einsteinian Roulette. Once PW recognizes you, you can just start faffing about on the On-Ship thread.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4141 on: June 22, 2012, 06:29:14 pm »

The ball of light, crimson and uniform in its veil of steam, begins to darken and swell, patches of black flowing, dissipating and reforming. The perfect sphere shape distorts and swells into a ovoid, bulge ridden collection of violently pulsing energy, barely held together by some unseen force. It grows and darkens, swallowing the center of the dam till it's nothing but a black mass, pulsating erratically. It stops; holding perfectly still for an instant, before it collapses. It sucks into itself in and instant, hundreds of feet tall to barely a molecule high in a fraction of a microsecond. The canyon echos with the thunder of air collapsing in to fill the vacuum, like a great gasp of anticipation. And then the world burns. 

There is no light from the blast, save for the fire it leaves behind, just a wall of force and heat that scours the land, incinerating and crushing anything in it's wake. The dam is gone in an instant, molten hunks of supercrete and metal 10 meters across are hurled forth from the detonation and rain down upon the countryside like burning remnants of Icarus.

>Milno.
You watch the blast from your vantage point several miles away, stepping back into cover as the blastwave passes over you, already greatly weakened. It passes in an instant and you're none the worse for it.

>Faith and Lukas
The pair are still struggling off the beach when the blastwave catches them. Their suits protect them from the heat, but the force of the blast lifts them like ragdolls, tearing them away from each other and hurling inland. [faith End:3-1] Faith catches the blast flat on the chest and is hurled well over a hundred feet, straight into the grove of trees Cog is hiding in. She bounces once, breaking her right leg in three places, before slamming stomach first into a tree and wrapping herself around it. [End:4-1] She remains conscious and struggles to breathe through the pain. Her leg is completely numb and her gut feels like someone has jammed a red hot poker into it and twisted.

[Lukas end:3] Lukas takes the blast on his side and cartwheels down the beach, breaking his left forearm, dislocating his right shoulder and getting a concussion as his head bounces against the inside of his helmet. He comes to a stop maybe 30 feet away, laying in a heap. [End:4] He gasps and tries to blink the fuzziness and double vision away, ignoring the pain all over his body. Neither is going away.

>Cog
Cog can only watch as the trees around him burst into flame and crumble beneath the force of the blast, most reduced to ash in an instant, and those that aren't left as blackened, smoldering monoliths in a ruined wasteland. The boulder protects him from the blast and his suit from the heat.

>Neil
Somewhere deep beneath the water, hidden in between two drywall walls, Neil is quietly praying that he'll survive when the blastwave tears through the water and strikes the building. Instantaneously the building is transformed from a structure to a loosely held together ball of debris with Neil somewhere near the center. The debris collapses to the bottom and is swept up by the current of what is now a freed river. It's hard to tell exactly what crushed his helmet in the end; it could have been the initial collapse or perhaps the several hundred mile long rocky beating down the canyon. Regardless, when they eventually did find what was left of him it consisted of  a gold filling and about 2 pounds of slightly stained metal. A craftsman in one of the towns down river-one not destroyed by the massive flooding- took these bits of metal and crafted them into a quaint metal beetle with the gold filling cut in half for eyes. It now sits on the bedside dresser of his grandson, one of his favorite possessions.

>E
The shelter of the ditch and the earthmover proves mostly adequate as E is only thrown a dozen feet or so by the blast, coming to rest unharmed, if badly shaken.

>Thomas and Nik
Thomas and Nik aren't more then a hundred feet from the dam when the blast catches them from behind. Thomas, still holding Nik, is caught and thrown, hurled hundreds of feet forward and into the air. He and his cargo arc, glowing like embers in their red hot suits, over the land and come down in a meteoric landing somewhere near E.

[thomas end:3] Thomas lands with a crunch, his spine and pelvis shattering on impact, his kidneys rupturing, his liver torn, his ribs crushed into his lungs, but his brain intact. [End:1] He's comatose before he even finishes rolling to a stop. [Mortal wound:1 round]

[Nik end:3]  Nik's suit might be heavily heat resistant, but the foam coating his lower body isn't. The heat of the blast evaporates the foam and burns upwards into his body, charring and roasting a large portion of his remaining skin and organs. And then he hits the ground. [end:1] His helmet buries itself into the ground like a cannonball and crushes like cadbury egg, spilling the contents onto the smoldering soil.

>May
The shockwave catches her where she lies, propped up against a tree, and hurls her end over end, straight through the instantly dried husks of several trees. [End:1] She breaks her remaining arm just below elbow an skids to a stop with the arm bent 90 degrees out of place.

Alright, there's the blast for you. 2 more permadeaths. There's about oh...say 30-60 seconds before the debris starts coming, so make the best of it.

Alright, I'm going to go ahead and sign up for this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Welcome aboard, we're gonna need some more bodies. And by that I mean men. And by that I mean bodies.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: June 22, 2012, 06:40:15 pm »

((I was actually half hoping this would happen so I could create a person with an actual personality. I think I'll bring in April Eploc...))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #4143 on: June 22, 2012, 06:43:15 pm »

((I was actually half hoping this would happen so I could create a person with an actual personality. I think I'll bring in April Eploc...))
Go for it, broseph.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: June 22, 2012, 06:43:49 pm »

((A pity for Thomas that I had the medkit on me when I fell into the thermonuclear cataclysm.

But damn, three permadeaths, and likely more, inflicted by me. That breaks my previous record of Nil.))
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:45:31 pm by PyroDesu »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4145 on: June 22, 2012, 06:44:58 pm »

Faith gasped raggedly.

"Alive," she wheezed over the comm, sounding pained.

Then she saw the debris.

Fish a crutch or something out of the kit, anything to help me move faster. Then get to cover! Preferably concrete or stone, but trees if I must!

Examine nearby cover and angle and size of debris.

((Also, I loved the beetle-thing description. :P))

((A pity for Thomas that I had the medkit on me when I fell into the thermonuclear cataclysm.))
((This is also unfortunate, yes.))
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 06:53:31 pm by IronyOwl »
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: June 22, 2012, 06:51:17 pm »

((Needless to say, Simulacrus won't be messing about with Field Manipulators.

I wonder exactly how many deaths that caused, both direct from the blast and indirect from the river, both HMRC personnel, Rebels, and all the other unnamed villagers.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4147 on: June 22, 2012, 06:53:03 pm »

((I'm sure Steve will let us know about it afterwards.

Also, action edited. Hopefully this will let me know if I should hobble to cover or use my kinetic amplifier to attempt to dig myself a pit...))
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: June 22, 2012, 06:53:56 pm »

((BY THE GODS! HE LIVES YET! Rescue his brain guys. Please? He has a promise to keep.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #4149 on: June 22, 2012, 07:04:11 pm »

((I'm sure Steve will let us know about it afterwards.

Also, action edited. Hopefully this will let me know if I should hobble to cover or use my kinetic amplifier to attempt to dig myself a pit...))

((A sadistic GM that loves Rule 0 would have a field day with that, man.

Good thing that PW Isn't making too much use of Rule 0.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4150 on: June 22, 2012, 07:06:28 pm »

((I don't get it. What's rule 0 again, something about GM fiat or rule of funny?))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #4151 on: June 22, 2012, 07:07:45 pm »

((I don't get it. What's rule 0 again, something about GM fiat or rule of funny?))

((Rule 0: The GM is always right.))
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 07:12:58 pm by PyroDesu »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4152 on: June 22, 2012, 07:13:24 pm »

((Ah. What could he do with the pit idea, though?))

Spinal_Taper

• Bay Watcher
  • The sparkles are because I'm fabulous, of course.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4153 on: June 22, 2012, 07:14:20 pm »

((The pit could fill with water, the rebels could chuck a grenade in.))

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4154 on: June 22, 2012, 07:17:00 pm »

((The pit could fill with water, the rebels could chuck a grenade in.))
((At just below what used to be local water level? And I have a suit anyway, that's just more padding.

And I doubt there's any rebels still around, but if there are, I doubt even more one's going to stumble along with a grenade in his hand during the precise 15 seconds he'd need to to catch me in my hole but not be dying from flaming rubble.))
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 [277] 278 279 ... 1256