Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3946342 times)

Prosperus

• Bay Watcher
  • Better lead than dead
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Mission 8: Choosing teams
« Reply #9510 on: November 23, 2012, 03:44:45 am »

Team D - Lukas - hallway to sterilization area

Lukas makes his way out of the hallway. "Nice going team leader. And fuck that nonsense about clearing out all rooms. We're here to pick up survivors and not to inspect every inch of this entire fucking facility. Now, can we just open that other door now?" Lukas stomps his way to the entrance to the long range comms. He mumbles "I hope I don't get a brain tumor from this shit."

Try to knock the door open with brute force.
You know what they say: It's all fun and games until a psycho-kinetic Armory Master rips your balls off.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #9511 on: November 23, 2012, 03:53:02 am »

Team C - Feyri Nirel ; Armored Mercenary ; Temporary Storage

"Ok...radiation. Suppose they didn't have any lead suits or anything nearby, heh.

"Now...the walls, if you may?"
Feyri joked, but upon hearing people ask Jim of his real name...

"Alright, who is curious about Jim? And...doesn't our suits have anything to bypass this trivial obstacle? There must be a ventilation shaft heading to the elevator and bypassing that room...

"Still...I wonder what attacked the people, how it retreated. Alternate exit, anyone? Are there any containers blocking the walls?"

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #9512 on: November 23, 2012, 04:04:19 am »

"Jimes, how does cloning work?  I hear you're like a year old, subjectively, so is there some sort of rapid aging process applied?  Will you die of old age in like four years?  Were you in stasis at the beginning of your life or awake from birth?  How were you born, anyway?  Who was your template and why was he chosen to be cloned?  Are we there yet?  Are we there yet?"
Keeping his body language neutral, Mesk grins behind his faceplate.  He may be trying to get a rise out of Jim, but he's also genuinely curious about the man's past, and the process use to create him.
"Also, where does your mind come from?"

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9513 on: November 23, 2012, 04:21:43 am »

Bishop sighed and had to resist facepalming when he remembered he was wearing a helmet.

"It's a room or rooms full of invisible, highly dangerous death rays! That's not trivial! Maybe we can go around it, but I wouldn't try getting inside if you know what's good for you.

Lukas, your probably the best one of all of us to survive doses of radiation. Your only organic part, your brain, is probably surrounded by a heavily shielded, armored shell in the middle of a mass of robotics and armor plating. Unless you wear specifically prepared and made suits for dealing with radiation, you're not going to get any better than that I'd say, so don't worry too much about it. Unless you were getting an alarm of course, then you should worry."

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9514 on: November 23, 2012, 04:23:14 am »

Name:Flint - Team C - Loading and Unloading

"To all you people that can now glow in the dark, did any of you try to shutdown whatever was causing the radiation from that panel? Maybe the radiation is part of the decontamination process. Maybe they use the radiation to kill anything in these containers that may infect the base. Or escape from it."

((Also, elevator talk needs elevator music: Lovely Elevator Music and Happy Elevator Music))
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:07:00 am by Parisbre56 »

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9515 on: November 23, 2012, 04:32:29 am »

Jim answered Mesk's questions in sequence as well as he could. "A little under a year, relatively speaking. I don't know all of Spectrum Corporation secrets, but I imagine something was done during our creation to speed our maturity. As far as I know I came out of stasis with the body of a nineteen-year-old male. I don't know, it's a possibility. It really depends on whether it was more cost-effective to have us wear out quickly so as to sell more soldiers, or have us last a long time and command higher prices from combat experience because we're expensive to produce. Like I said, I don't know, and either is equally likely. I don't know how I was born, but I'm going to guess that it wasn't in the usual way. Probably some sort of nutrient bath similar to stasis. The first thing I remember is getting a gasmask put on me and handed clothes.

Jordan James Kelly, according to what we were allowed to read, was a colonist a thousand or so years ago on a planet called Pokel III. He was rumored to be some kind of messiah figure, able to heal wounds with the power of his mind alone and communicate with animals. Doubtless it was just an urban legend, but apparently Spectrum paid quite dearly to get samples of his tissues and blood. While such abilities failed to manifest in the clones, the brainwaves proved quite receptive to amplifiers. As for my mind, I suppose it's my own. What do you mean by that? And finally, until we know where 'there' is, I can neither confirm nor deny our being there."
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #9516 on: November 23, 2012, 04:41:24 am »

"Huh, so you don't know a lot about your own background.  I see.  That must be tough..."
Slightly guiltily, Mesk quickly adds, "Um, I meant, you're about as mature and intelligent as somebody of your apparent age could be expected to be, but you're a year old.  When did you learn to walk and talk?  Where does your personality come from?  Sorry if I'm getting too, uh, personal.  Elevators, you know.  Small talk.  Or maybe you don't know."

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9517 on: November 23, 2012, 05:11:52 am »

"These suits are not as protective as you think they are, not in the slightest. The alarm you were getting was how much radiation was getting THROUGH the suit, not what's actually outside it. We'd be toast if we walked in there wearing just these, and keep in mind that even if we don't die immediately we'd probably be weak as puppies for the rest of the mission from radiation sickness, and this is only the first floor of seven.

Anyway, theres no way anyone is getting through that door now, it's sealed off pretty much for good now. You'd need some high power shit to get through it now, as well as quite some time, which given the sheer amount of radiation inside, you will NOT have. If anyone is in there, they aren't coming out now and they are as good as dead, if they aren't already, which is the most probable scenario."

((Who were you talking to here? Cause if it was me, I just posted that radiation info for those who were interested.))

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9518 on: November 23, 2012, 05:26:44 am »

Jim shrugged, which was a rather expressive gesture for someone with shoulders as large as his. "I suspect subliminal learning. I knew rudimentary English and basic movement when I first 'woke up.' Over the course of the six or so months I spent in the facility, we were taught as much as we would need to know - basically the equivalent of a GED, as they used to have on Earth a long time ago, albeit with a bit more simulated combat training than I imagine the average high school provided." It was entirely possible he was joking. "My personality is my own, in a manner of speaking. It's possible I developed different opinions and beliefs from my peers based on how our individual genetics deviated from the Original, or it's possible that even a clone has a soul all their own. I can safely say I'm braver than Marko was, and more practical than Farrah was. Or did you mean, our environment? Easy enough. An underground facility, all of it shared space. Communal bunks, communal showers, a rec/mess room, the training area. We got to watch old Earth movies occasionally. Black and white horror films, mostly. We were provided a lot of literature to occupy ourselves if we weren't training."

Jim tilted his head slightly to the side. "And you? Why did you decide to be a doctor?" he asked - not insultingly, as some might assume, but more in the tone of 'I just dropped a whole lot of info on you and fair's fair, cough it up'.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #9519 on: November 23, 2012, 05:39:12 am »

Stacy. Team C Physimancer, Sterilization Door

"Well, that solves that problem."

Walk calmly back to Temporary Storage. Head to the Long Range Comms door and examine it. Watch out for any floor, wall or ceiling-based treachery.

"If anyone needs me, I'll be at the Long Range Comms door."
You head to the LRC door. It's welded shut, very heavily; the doors have practically melted together.

Ready the cutting torch in case Jim fails to brain through the door.
"Yeah, you have a problem with me using your full name?  I won't if you do."
You whip out the torch and get ready to take over for Jim if his giant brain fails.

Bishop took a few deep breaths to calm down, fingers still tingling.

"Just so you know, there was likely enough radiation in there to kill us in minutes, if not seconds. Anyway, there's no way anyone's going to be alive in there, so it's clear. Let's just keep moving."

Hit the road and head to the next room.
You walk back through the storage room and to the LRC door but find it just as welded as everyone else.

Lars looked at the door, then looked at the bionic man coming in behind.

"Jim, can you open this, please?"

Ponder the implications of what could be so important as to secure the door in this way.
[int:1]
GUMMY BEARS!

[Team A Sniper:Thomas:Door to LRC]
Train rifle on door.

You point your rifle at the door, ready to gun stuff into unlife.

[Team A Leader, Jim - Main Elevator]

"'Jimothy'?" Jim sighed and shook his head.

Jim proceeded to take care of the door in his usual manner.
[exo:3+1+1]
You melt your way through the door with relative ease but your brain is on fire by the time you get through.

"These doors are annoyingly thick" You grumble, leaning against the wall.

[Team B Leader=Milno=By LRC's door]

Milno stared at the welded door for a moment before moving away as Jim moved in to take care of the door his own special way.
"Command, the door to LRC from our side is welded shut."

Warn Command. Stay a little back from Jim and prepare to react evasively if bad shit happens.

Spoiler: A-B Teams (click to show/hide)

The door melts away revealing the room beyond; large banks of computers, consoles and the like. All of them smashed and destroyed. There's a man standing in the room, facing the other door. He's wearing a heavy exoskeleton, the sort of thing Bishop described, and holding a mining laser, pointing it at the other door. He doesn't seem to be moving.

And then Lukas punches through the door and sticks his head through. Oh, well, thats a thing.

((Actually, I think that was only double a harmless but cancer-risk-increasing dose. I'm not entirely clear, though.))

"Er, I'm not so sure of that- I think we were shielded enough to not die instantly, at least, and I'm guessing Command's not going to want a room left blank just because there's no survivors.

Uh, Command? You've been following this, I assume?

...also I never knew your name was James, Jim."

Ask for clarification, consider implications of 50 REMs on us. Also consider how much radiation it would take to pierce our suits at that magnitude.
"Leave it. Radiation that high would render it sterile and anyone in it dead."

You have no idea how much it would take to overwhelm the suit's insulation, but it wouldn't be a small amount.

Name:Flint - Team C - Loading and Unloading

Well,  I guess I'll just have to do it the old fashioned way.
Make a running jump across the gap if it is possible. Else, try the console again.
What could possibly go wrong?
You try to make a running jump to the ship.
[dex:4+1]
You make the jump easily.

Miyamoto, Team C leader, Temporary storage
Spoiler: Team C and D (click to show/hide)

'Good job back there you guys, much more radiation and we'd be... well, we wouldn't be better for it, that's for sure.'

On Mission control channel: 'Command, you probably saw what just happened. Do you have any anti-radiation tools for us, or should we divert and rendezvous with A and B in LRC?'

Pry open a few more closed containers. Think what could cause that much radiation that would be kept in a place like sterilization.

((By the way, didn't we see anything of Sterilization when the doors opened?))
(a very short hallway that cuts to the left after a few feet. So nothing really.)

You pry open a few more containers. Most have machine parts, one other has luxury stuff. As per what is causing radiation in Sterilization, probably the radiation sources they use to sterilize things. 

Team D - Lukas - hallway to sterilization area

Lukas makes his way out of the hallway. "Nice going team leader. And fuck that nonsense about clearing out all rooms. We're here to pick up survivors and not to inspect every inch of this entire fucking facility. Now, can we just open that other door now?" Lukas stomps his way to the entrance to the long range comms. He mumbles "I hope I don't get a brain tumor from this shit."

Try to knock the door open with brute force.
[Str:6+2]
"Knock knock"

You slam one massive fist straight into the welded seem in the door and pry the doors apart, sticking your head through into the room.

There's a man standing in the room pointing a laser at you, or at least at the door.

"oh, hello there."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #9520 on: November 23, 2012, 05:43:16 am »

(I asked earlier but I didn't get an answer... is it possible for Jim to just take a break if need be and regain some mental stamina? Anyway...)

[Team A Leader, Jim - Long Range Communications]

Jim decided to step aside as quietly as possible to rest his brain and let someone with a ranged weapon handle subduing this guy.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9521 on: November 23, 2012, 06:03:20 am »

Name:Flint - Team C - Loading and Unloading, spaceship

Flint took a moment to catch his breath and waited for his heart to stop pounding in his chest. Whew. Made it. He tried not to think that he had to do this again to get out.

Go to the cargo compartment, find the exosuit and remove the corpse from it. Remove the suit from the corpse to determine cause of death. Use the razor if I have to.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 07:28:53 am by Parisbre56 »

anailater

• Bay Watcher
  • Because She's Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #9522 on: November 23, 2012, 06:05:12 am »

[Team A Rookie- Bruce]
"Damn you, you fucker!"
Shoot the man, ignore team.
At best it's a pool of ink thats here for no reason; at worst it's a puddle of hateful alien death penises that want to murder-rape you into chunks.
So how are you today?

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9523 on: November 23, 2012, 08:12:19 am »

Stacy, Team C Physimancer, Long Range Comms Door.

Yell at the hole in the door from cover. Make sure I have turned external speakers on while doing this. Pump up the volume, too.

"Sir or madam, we are here to help! We're the rescue team! Stand down or we may be forced to disarm you!"
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 01:42:50 pm by Harry Baldman »

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #9524 on: November 23, 2012, 08:17:07 am »

"Well, don't see any reason why not."

Stand well back from the door, making sure nobody is within easy incineration range, and use the MFM to melt through the door. If I fail the first time, try again.

((The door is open I think. Lukas/Prosperus opened it.))
« Last Edit: November 23, 2012, 08:19:07 am by Parisbre56 »
Pages: 1 ... 633 634 [635] 636 637 ... 1256