Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3944576 times)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: Forever out of date
« Reply #6855 on: August 24, 2012, 01:52:17 pm »

Examine own sand sample. Has it gotten bigger?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: August 24, 2012, 04:57:12 pm »

Simus, after Maurice is done with her holding stuff for him, retrieves the hopefully-still sealed samples from her bag and dumps the burst sand container and the sand that came out of it; she also keeps pace with the group and assists anyone who needs it to do so as well.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6857 on: August 24, 2012, 06:10:39 pm »

(( How big are the containers? Is it possible to hold two of them in one hand?
Also, do the suits have any storage compartments in them, or are we limited to our bags, one per person?))
EDIT: ((Okay, in order not to clutter more turns, conditional actions!))
Take another sample of sand from this area and label it; don't close the container, though. If it is possible, hold the two open containers in my hand, otherwise try putting one of them in a pocket (if the suit has any) or somewhere like that, where 1)it is unlikely to flip over and spill its contents just because of that; 2)the sand cannot reach the inside of the suit; 3)the sand wouldn't mix with that already inside my bag.
Keep moving, but watch over the container(s) in my hand for overflowing with sand, and check the bag (and the other container, if it is not in my hand) every five or ten minutes if the amount of sand has increased since then. Keep watching and taking no action until the bag (or the compartment) becomes too heavy with sand, the flow drastically increases or something else, worth of everyone's notice, happens.

[the containers are...well they're about this
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
size.]

You scoop some sand into a container and hold it in one hand while handing the "Tower" sample to Simus to watch. You sling your bag onto your shoulder and keep walking, glancing every now and again at the container just to make sure it hasn't changed.

"Hm. Probably a structure. I'm going to toss the glow stick back as a landmark for the return trip"

Travis does just that, he tosses the glow stick back where he stood when he found the 'dome'. Or just walks it back. He catches up with the group and continues down the path.
You run back and jam a glowstick into the sand near were you saw the dome from before running back to catch up with the group.

Milno sighs. The sand doesn't seem threatening so far and it seems just a matter of them doing a big deal over it.
"It's just sand as far as we know then. Just tell me if something important happens."

Keep walking.
You keep walking, staring over your shoulder with a hint of annoyance. These eggheads and their bickering over sand. As long as it isn't coming at you in a ballistic manner you're happy to ignore it.

"Humm. Paths? A grid? A park?" Gorat shakes his head. I'm trying too hard to put this environment into comfortable parameters. "We're on a path that leads straight from the fall to the Lost Citadel, apparently, with the obelisks only flanking us in a distance. Similar 'paths' seem to go off occasionally, and even where they aren't, the obelisks tend to stand a few meters apart."

Think. Did the light path move away from the Fall in a roughly right angle? Had there been areas where the light path moved through a 'denser' portion of obelisks before entering the 'alley of obelisks'?
[int:5]
You're almost certain that this path has stayed like this ever since the Fall, unobstructed and straight, extending perpendicular to the cliff face of the Fall. You also don't remember ever seeing denser configurations of the standing stones, though the the spaces between them do vary.

Examine own sand sample. Has it gotten bigger?
You balance the camera on one shoulder and check your own samples. Several of them seem much fuller then you remember, some to the point of being almost completely filled.

Simus, after Maurice is done with her holding stuff for him, retrieves the hopefully-still sealed samples from her bag and dumps the burst sand container and the sand that came out of it; she also keeps pace with the group and assists anyone who needs it to do so as well.

You dump the sand and fragments from your bag while keeping pace with the group.

The team continues it's trek for another hour. Another hour of sand and standing stones passing without incident, just a blur of white and black, endless darkness, the sound of shuffling steps and sore feet. Maurice watches his container while simus watches hers. They don't change in any obvious way. After what must have been several miles the path ends abruptly, or at least the light does. The rope continues out into the darkness and near the edge of the lit area is a burnt out glowstick.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6858 on: August 24, 2012, 06:13:46 pm »

Simus lights the area with the expended glowstick with one of the lamps she took.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: August 24, 2012, 06:24:45 pm »

"Ok, let's light this up a bit."

Light a lantern up.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: August 24, 2012, 06:25:13 pm »

Thank you very much for your help, Miss Ferratum-Inanis.
(( i.e. Sorry for calling that on you, and I hope it isn't too much of a burden :) ))

Try closing the container I'm holding, then check if the amount of sand inside increases over time.
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: August 24, 2012, 06:37:24 pm »

It's not a problem, Doc. Missing a hand is a bit of a problem with stuff like that, I know firsthand, pun not intended.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6862 on: August 24, 2012, 07:15:50 pm »

"Hm. Did Conrad mention anything like this?"

Follow the rope, staying with teammates.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: August 24, 2012, 07:23:50 pm »

Follow group, look up at the sky and look for any Galatic objects of interest: Star clusters, black holes, shiny stuff, etc.
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6864 on: August 24, 2012, 08:12:35 pm »

Well, a Lighteater might have taken its light. Or, more likely, it just ran dry of its light-emitting chemicals.

((@TCM It is nigh impossible to see, well, the sky itself and beyond - the light tunnel's 'ceiling' (beyond which only darkness can be seen) should be too low, effectively capping our appreciation of this place's atmosphere at a few dozen feet above the surface (not sure how much, but it must've been stated sometime ago). Though you could try making a beam of light piercing the darkness outside all the way to light years from here, and then you might be able to see a little of this place's sky through the light tunnel of that beam - provided it started inside the light bubble we are in. A more efficient design would be a row of dots of light placed strategically close to each other for the light bubbles to overlap and achieve the same effect as the beam, but with much less effort... but still, too much of pain to pull that off. You might want to try, though :P ))
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

TCM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: August 24, 2012, 08:14:49 pm »

Well, a Lighteater might have taken its light. Or, more likely, it just ran dry of its light-emitting chemicals.

((@TCM It is nigh impossible to see, well, the sky itself and beyond - the light tunnel's 'ceiling' (beyond which only darkness can be seen) should be too low, effectively capping our appreciation of this place's atmosphere at a few dozen feet above the surface (not sure how much, but it must've been stated sometime ago). Though you could try making a beam of light piercing the darkness outside all the way to light years from here, and then you might be able to see a little of this place's sky through the light tunnel of that beam - provided it started inside the light bubble we are in. A more efficient design would be a row of dots of light placed strategically close to each other for the light bubbles to overlap and achieve the same effect as the beam, but with much less effort... but still, too much of pain to pull that off. You might want to try, though :P ))

((Don't worry. I have perception.))
Because trying to stuff Fate/Whatever's engrish and the title of a 17th century book on statecraft into Pokemon syntax tends to make the content incomprehensible.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: August 24, 2012, 08:16:11 pm »

(( Ah, sure. No problem then. ))
Past Sigs

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: August 24, 2012, 08:30:32 pm »

"I'll take rear duty. Stay close team.

If the lanterns are standardized, the lamps back up the path would have went out first. I suspect foul play"

Travis grabs and examines the burnt out glow stick. He lags behind to the back of the group, keeping most of his attention back up the path.

Once the group enters the darkened area, he grabs the first dark lantern on the rope and examines it.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 08:36:21 pm by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6868 on: August 25, 2012, 12:34:10 am »

Charro plodded along, looking deep in thought.
He was wondering just what they were going to find at the citadel, which was apparently an intact version of the tower.
He held his rifle in one hand and took a grip on the rope with the other, speaking up. "So... What do you lot think we'll find, at this 'citadel', anyway? Perhaps it's like the tower, only still in use, do you think?"

>Hold rifle in one hand, the path-rope in the other ready to move on. Just in case we're plunged into darkness for any reason.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6869 on: August 25, 2012, 01:20:14 am »

Simus lights the area with the expended glowstick with one of the lamps she took.
You unclip one of your lanterns and walk to the edge of the lit area before lighting it and holding it out as far as possible. The rope continues into the darkness but there is still no sign of light. You can however see another spent glowstick laying on the path a bit farther up.

"Ok, let's light this up a bit."

Light a lantern up.

You light one of your lanterns and hold it in one hand but don't move ahead any further.

Thank you very much for your help, Miss Ferratum-Inanis.
(( i.e. Sorry for calling that on you, and I hope it isn't too much of a burden :) ))

Try closing the container I'm holding, then check if the amount of sand inside increases over time.
You put the container down and screw the lid back on before picking it up again and practically pressing it to your faceplate as you stare at  it. It isn't moving and it's not growing in any immediately obvious way. Guess there's nothing to do but keep an eye on it and wait. [int:6] God you're awesome. Like some sort of human ruler.

"Hm. Did Conrad mention anything like this?"

Follow the rope, staying with teammates.
You move to follow the rope but no one moves with you so you hesitate in midstep. You turn to look back at the group, suddenly unsure of your action.

Follow group, look up at the sky and look for any Galatic objects of interest: Star clusters, black holes, shiny stuff, etc.
You look up and see black. Lots and lots of fucking black. Same black as before is the same black as now. Very black. It's like how much more black could it be? And the answer is none, none more black.

"I'll take rear duty. Stay close team.

If the lanterns are standardized, the lamps back up the path would have went out first. I suspect foul play"

Travis grabs and examines the burnt out glow stick. He lags behind to the back of the group, keeping most of his attention back up the path.

Once the group enters the darkened area, he grabs the first dark lantern on the rope and examines it.

You kneel down and look at the spent glowstick. It looks like a normal glowstick, perfectly intact, just expended. You look at the small section of the path that Simus is illuminating and notice that there are no lanterns on the section of the path thats dark, just a rope suspended on poles. Maybe the path was incomplete?

Charro plodded along, looking deep in thought.
He was wondering just what they were going to find at the citadel, which was apparently an intact version of the tower.
He held his rifle in one hand and took a grip on the rope with the other, speaking up. "So... What do you lot think we'll find, at this 'citadel', anyway? Perhaps it's like the tower, only still in use, do you think?"

>Hold rifle in one hand, the path-rope in the other ready to move on. Just in case we're plunged into darkness for any reason.
You swing the rifle about in a manner that comes off more as erratic then tactical and make sure you have a firm hold on the rope. Something about this place doesn't sit right with you and the last thing you want to do is be suddenly lost and blind.

Pages: 1 ... 456 457 [458] 459 460 ... 1256