Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3944543 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 6: Forever out of date
« Reply #6840 on: August 23, 2012, 10:31:35 pm »

((If I recall correctly, I hadn't taken many, if any, samples after the first run back to the shuttle.))

So, Doc? What's in there?
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6841 on: August 23, 2012, 10:42:45 pm »

"Ah!"

Travis falls back in surprise

"Uh guys...something's out there. Either it's a lot of things that don't move or there's something following us. It looks like a dome. Either way, should I investigate further Milno?"
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6842 on: August 23, 2012, 10:51:42 pm »

"Uh guys...something's out there. Either it's a lot of things that don't move or there's something following us. It looks like a dome. Either way, should I investigate further Milno?"
"Ignore it and join the team again. Anything it may be, we can afford to decide to check during the return. Also, poking things we don't understand has been getting our team smaller. Let's preserve our limbs and lives for the Citadel, then we can mind the other spots."

"If you think it is something moving, then you can check it, though. Carefully."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 10:58:57 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6843 on: August 23, 2012, 10:54:41 pm »

((You know, up until now, this mission has been slightly creepy, but strangely relaxing. Now, on the other hand...))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6844 on: August 23, 2012, 10:59:27 pm »

((Edited my post. Since moving things we don't know about aren't nice.))
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6845 on: August 24, 2012, 12:30:11 am »

"Roger that. Going to do a test."

Travis walks 10 meters farther down the path, obscuring the glowstick, then immediately turns right and flashes the dark again.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:34:11 am by Orb »
[Will:1] You scream. You scream like a little girl in pigtails and a tutu, flailing ineffectually like a starfish on meth.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6846 on: August 24, 2012, 01:10:22 am »

It looks like the container burst out in all directions at once, and I did not find a thing inside the sand. You are probably right, the amount of sand itself might be increasing - another container is more full of it than I thought, though it hasn't broken yet.
Take that second container and open it, while holding upright (so that its contents won't spill unless they go through the opening in its top). Read the label on it.
Keep moving.

A dome? Like, a habitation dome used on some of our worlds? I think you might want to check it, it actually could be an unmapped building. The 'roses', again?.. No, more like the 'cypresses'.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:20:15 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6847 on: August 24, 2012, 07:04:01 am »

"We should have enough lights to examine that dome thing on the way back. Assuming it doesn't move. But really, let's leave the graveyard."

Hobble, hobble.

And try once more to figure out the secret of the obelisks.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #6848 on: August 24, 2012, 08:09:48 am »

Maurice, there's a high probability with what you're saying that this sand is somehow replicating. If it is, we really should get rid of it. von Neumann sand in our packs is a very, very bad thing. So, unless you want to probe inside my pack of burst sand containers, I'm going to dump it and we should get out of this place quickly.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6849 on: August 24, 2012, 09:02:00 am »

Sure. As for me, I'm going try to bring some of it with us. ...Maybe with the use of a few strategically placed holes made in my bag.
I'm sure that an infinite source of materia would greatly aid humanity - unless it'd lose its properties outside of this place, of course; in that case it would probably be just mundane alien-world sand, neither too interesting nor overly dangerous.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 09:07:11 am by Nikitian »
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #6850 on: August 24, 2012, 11:28:46 am »

Keep walking, slow down a bit so the rest of the group won't lag behind too much.

Milno turned his head back and noticed some people were lagging behind.

"So, anything else worth noting now?"
(Just to let everyone know, you're not gonna get that really big time and distance advancement that I usually do at the end of every post till this thing with the smashed containers is resolved one way or another, even if it means just ignoring them. Because it wouldn't really make sense to have this examination and conversation stretched out over hours.)

You slow down a bit to keep in step with the rest of the group, becoming a bit nervous as you do so.

((If I recall correctly, I hadn't taken many, if any, samples after the first run back to the shuttle.))

So, Doc? What's in there?
(you don't have as many as I thought, but you still have a couple. Well, one less now.)

"Ah!"

Travis falls back in surprise

You backpedal, almost running into the rest of the team, and point your glowstick at the darkness, stammering out your report of whatever it is out there.

"Roger that. Going to do a test."

Travis walks 10 meters farther down the path, obscuring the glowstick, then immediately turns right and flashes the dark again.

You walk a bit farther down the path, hand closed around the glowstick, before thrusting the light back out into the darkness. No sign of anything. Hmm.

It looks like the container burst out in all directions at once, and I did not find a thing inside the sand. You are probably right, the amount of sand itself might be increasing - another container is more full of it than I thought, though it hasn't broken yet.
Take that second container and open it, while holding upright (so that its contents won't spill unless they go through the opening in its top). Read the label on it.
Keep moving.

A dome? Like, a habitation dome used on some of our worlds? I think you might want to check it, it actually could be an unmapped building. The 'roses', again?.. No, more like the 'cypresses'.

You dig the container out while Simus holds the bag. You roll it carefully in your hand till you can see the label. "Tower".  You have Simus hold the jar itself so you can unscrew the top. You remove the lid, flinching a bit as it comes off. Nothing happens.

"We should have enough lights to examine that dome thing on the way back. Assuming it doesn't move. But really, let's leave the graveyard."

Hobble, hobble.

And try once more to figure out the secret of the obelisks.

[intuition:4]
Hmm. Well the first strange thing is there aren't any of the obelisks in the way of this path you're on. They all seem to be off to the side, and equally so, like there's some sort of invisible line where they all stop. And now that you're looking for it, there are similar "paths" branching off every now and again into the darkness, spaces with nothing in them extending in a straight line. And finally, the spacing between the obelisks and spires vary, but none of them are very close, most being several meters apart at least.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: August 24, 2012, 12:03:52 pm »

(( How big are the containers? Is it possible to hold two of them in one hand?
Also, do the suits have any storage compartments in them, or are we limited to our bags, one per person?))
EDIT: ((Okay, in order not to clutter more turns, conditional actions!))
Take another sample of sand from this area and label it; don't close the container, though. If it is possible, hold the two open containers in my hand, otherwise try putting one of them in a pocket (if the suit has any) or somewhere like that, where 1)it is unlikely to flip over and spill its contents just because of that; 2)the sand cannot reach the inside of the suit; 3)the sand wouldn't mix with that already inside my bag.
Keep moving, but watch over the container(s) in my hand for overflowing with sand, and check the bag (and the other container, if it is not in my hand) every five or ten minutes if the amount of sand has increased since then. Keep watching and taking no action until the bag (or the compartment) becomes too heavy with sand, the flow drastically increases or something else, worth of everyone's notice, happens.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 12:23:21 pm by Nikitian »
Past Sigs

Orb

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loves_RTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6852 on: August 24, 2012, 12:10:00 pm »

"Hm. Probably a structure. I'm going to toss the glow stick back as a landmark for the return trip"

Travis does just that, he tosses the glow stick back where he stood when he found the 'dome'. Or just walks it back. He catches up with the group and continues down the path.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: August 24, 2012, 12:14:57 pm »

Milno sighs. The sand doesn't seem threatening so far and it seems just a matter of them doing a big deal over it.
"It's just sand as far as we know then. Just tell me if something important happens."

Keep walking.
>Yes?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: August 24, 2012, 12:38:40 pm »

"Humm. Paths? A grid? A park?" Gorat shakes his head. I'm trying too hard to put this environment into comfortable parameters. "We're on a path that leads straight from the fall to the Lost Citadel, apparently, with the obelisks only flanking us in a distance. Similar 'paths' seem to go off occasionally, and even where they aren't, the obelisks tend to stand a few meters apart."

Think. Did the light path move away from the Fall in a roughly right angle? Had there been areas where the light path moved through a 'denser' portion of obelisks before entering the 'alley of obelisks'?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu
Pages: 1 ... 455 456 [457] 458 459 ... 1256