Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3941007 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette: Mission 3: More mindf***ing goodness.
« Reply #2925 on: May 19, 2012, 01:16:08 am »

Mesk looks over Bishop's shoulder as he runs diagnostics.
"Ha!  I knew Jim was abnormal in the brain!  Also he's crazy.  For the record I still don't think turning him on is a good idea."

Feyri peered over Bishop's shoulder to assess the Jim, "Huh, you would think a robotic body still had their pectoral muscles. Or was it just indicating the wound?

And Mesk, Jim isn't crazy. The Case is secure. We also won't find out what is wrong with him until we turn him on."

Switch to Tesla Sabre.

"And I won't worry if something is."

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2926 on: May 19, 2012, 06:29:22 am »

Bishop frowned. Organic abnormalties... Not a good sign, considering that they were all organic in nature. That damn sound file had somehow mentally unhinged Jim, how he didn't have a clue, but he was certain that this was very bad news.

"Shut up Mesk, you're not helping. This is bad news, but also useful information to a point. That sound file he listened to must have somehow brainwashed him. I can't fix him, I'm a techie, not a fleshtech."

Standing up and shaking his head, he suddenly walked over to the nearby wall and slammed his fist on it in frustration.

"Fuck! This job just got a whole lot harder and more dangerous. Whatever did this to him affects organic brain matter, and seeing that we all use it, we could literally be losing our minds soon. Goddammit, if that sound file or something like it should play over the speaker system in the base, we are all fucked. We might not even have to hear it, it could be played on a subsonic level that we can't pick up."

Bishop looked up at the ceiling silently for a moment, worried and unsure, before speaking again.

"We could be listening to it right now and not even know it. We might already be losing our minds and not even realise it until the effects show."

Sighing heavily and putting his hand across his faceplate, Bishop was silent before talking again, dialing in Steve.

"Computer... Do you think you could find a way to reverse the effects, or find someone who could do so? Also, judging on when he last sent you that sound file, what is the rate of mental breakdown? How long do you think Jim has before he completely looses it and tries to kill us and if we are listening to a subsonic version of that sound file, how long do you think we have if it has reduced effects due to our suits and possible outside variables?"

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2927 on: May 19, 2012, 06:44:23 am »

Feyri perked up at the mention of Jim, his mental complex, the note on fleshtech and Tech, their probable impending doom and Jim. She never felt this concerned, as she gripped her Tesla Sabre.

"Can't...you and the fleshtech both work on him? There must be a system purge or something on him that would help sanitize his...insides. I guess."

She approached Jim, and even if she felt that he wouldn't hear her or even if her action would seem very silly to the others, she whispered at him, "We're here for you, Jim."

Um, whisper that to Jim. Ask Bishop said question, examine Jim's body for any sort of control panel and such.

"Well, we aren't crazy. And despite that, we don't know how that thing really spreads. I mean, sound? Our aural nerves cannot process disease by sound. I may have failed medical school (By not taking it) twice, and I may mistake a broken leg as cancer, but I know for our sakes that sound can't functionally affect a person in that way."

Ironically, she did wish she had an aural upgrade to her suit so she could listen to her favorite music tracks while in action.

She put a hand to her chin, musing. "...but that's just me. Music can uplift the spirit...great. We're practically lost without the basis on this.

Hey, why don't we probe Jim for information. He was in the quarters first."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2928 on: May 19, 2012, 08:48:43 am »

Charro just looked on uncertainly at the two of them, feeling rather bewildered. He was not lacking in intelligence, but he had never exactly studied medicine and as such a lot of the terms they used went over his head.
He waited for a lull in their discussion and spoke up, addressing Feyri as he still felt a bit irked by Bishop's referring to him as a 'coward'.
"Well, let me know if you need anything, then. Try not to do anything too risky..."
He went back to his book, keeping the datachip to himself for now as he waited for developments.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2929 on: May 19, 2012, 11:39:01 am »

"It's purely organic, there's nothing I can really do. All I can do for him is maintain his robotic body, but that's not the problem. Mesk might be able to do something, but I don't know. Removing Jim's brain is risky and it's probably going to come down to that for treatment, so I don't know what we could do here in the field."

Bishop paced around a bit in thought for a few moments before speaking again.

"Ok, I might have overreacted here for a second. The speaker system needs power to function, and most of the base is without power. So, odds are strong that we aren't hearing whatever Jim listened to. As for the sound causing madness, how the hell should I know if that's what caused it? I'm just saying that unless he caught a disease from inside his completely sealed braincase, one which we in our less protective suits haven't caught yet by the way, then that infected soundfile is the only logical cause. Other than that, I'm stumped for reasons..."

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2930 on: May 19, 2012, 11:49:13 am »

Feyri looked at Charro, then at Bishop, then at the ceiling of the elevator which wasn't moving. "Right, there. Hm.

Steve. How much time do our light amps have before setting off?

. . .

Bishop, how do you feel about spelunking in a dark place? Same goes for the rest, to be sure. We might actually meet that thing that moved in the dark earlier and kill it for information.

I meant, interrogate it for information...yeah.

I'm carrying Jim if Steve doesn't reply soon."

Intuition > Jim
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 01:29:12 pm by Tiruin »

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2931 on: May 19, 2012, 12:12:30 pm »

"You know... It was really only Jim who said that there was something moving. Jim with the halucinations. There might not actually BE anything alive down there at all. Still, I'm ok with a walk in the dark, but we'll need power if we are going to get info off the computers.

Speaking of computers, I should disconnect the secondary ones from the main computer, incase something tries to switch or activate files, like a certain sound file for example, stored in the other section. Might not need power for that, but I won't know for sure unless I see the computers themselves. So yeah, I'm down for some walking in the dark."

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2932 on: May 19, 2012, 01:12:12 pm »

Mesk looks around uncertainly when it's suggested he work on Jim.
"I... don't know if there's anything I can do for him.  I mean, the abnormalities are in his brain, and I'm no psychologist, and I don't want to risk playing neurosurgeon on something that might not even have a physical cause.  I could kill him, permanently, for no possible gain.
"If you insist, though... I'll try."
Try and use my medical skills and intuition to figure out if there's anything I can do, without opening the brain case.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2933 on: May 19, 2012, 02:05:49 pm »

Bishop frowned. Organic abnormalties... Not a good sign, considering that they were all organic in nature. That damn sound file had somehow mentally unhinged Jim, how he didn't have a clue, but he was certain that this was very bad news.

"Shut up Mesk, you're not helping. This is bad news, but also useful information to a point. That sound file he listened to must have somehow brainwashed him. I can't fix him, I'm a techie, not a fleshtech."

Standing up and shaking his head, he suddenly walked over to the nearby wall and slammed his fist on it in frustration.

"Fuck! This job just got a whole lot harder and more dangerous. Whatever did this to him affects organic brain matter, and seeing that we all use it, we could literally be losing our minds soon. Goddammit, if that sound file or something like it should play over the speaker system in the base, we are all fucked. We might not even have to hear it, it could be played on a subsonic level that we can't pick up."

Bishop looked up at the ceiling silently for a moment, worried and unsure, before speaking again.

"We could be listening to it right now and not even know it. We might already be losing our minds and not even realise it until the effects show."

Sighing heavily and putting his hand across his faceplate, Bishop was silent before talking again, dialing in Steve.

"Computer... Do you think you could find a way to reverse the effects, or find someone who could do so? Also, judging on when he last sent you that sound file, what is the rate of mental breakdown? How long do you think Jim has before he completely looses it and tries to kill us and if we are listening to a subsonic version of that sound file, how long do you think we have if it has reduced effects due to our suits and possible outside variables?"
>I can't debug his brain, and as per how fast whatever it is drives you crazy I can only guess. But it's been about an hour since you sent me the transmission, so you can guess from that.
Feyri perked up at the mention of Jim, his mental complex, the note on fleshtech and Tech, their probable impending doom and Jim. She never felt this concerned, as she gripped her Tesla Sabre.

"Can't...you and the fleshtech both work on him? There must be a system purge or something on him that would help sanitize his...insides. I guess."

She approached Jim, and even if she felt that he wouldn't hear her or even if her action would seem very silly to the others, she whispered at him, "We're here for you, Jim."

Um, whisper that to Jim. Ask Bishop said question, examine Jim's body for any sort of control panel and such.

"Well, we aren't crazy. And despite that, we don't know how that thing really spreads. I mean, sound? Our aural nerves cannot process disease by sound. I may have failed medical school (By not taking it) twice, and I may mistake a broken leg as cancer, but I know for our sakes that sound can't functionally affect a person in that way."

Ironically, she did wish she had an aural upgrade to her suit so she could listen to her favorite music tracks while in action.

She put a hand to her chin, musing. "...but that's just me. Music can uplift the spirit...great. We're practically lost without the basis on this.

Hey, why don't we probe Jim for information. He was in the quarters first."

You can easily see the control panel that Bishop is currently working with. You can't see any others.

Mesk looks around uncertainly when it's suggested he work on Jim.
"I... don't know if there's anything I can do for him.  I mean, the abnormalities are in his brain, and I'm no psychologist, and I don't want to risk playing neurosurgeon on something that might not even have a physical cause.  I could kill him, permanently, for no possible gain.
"If you insist, though... I'll try."
Try and use my medical skills and intuition to figure out if there's anything I can do, without opening the brain case.
[med 4+1] If whatever this is is effecting his brain directly and not just messing with his mechanical senses, there's probably no real good way to fix it without trying to operate on the brain...though you could try administering some of the drugs from the advanced kit...it wouldn't fix anything but it might keep him docile.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #2934 on: May 19, 2012, 05:42:44 pm »

[med 4+1]
Everyone... I present to you... a successful mental roll.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2935 on: May 19, 2012, 08:31:35 pm »

Acquiesce to moving downwards.

But REACTIVATE JIM.

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2936 on: May 19, 2012, 09:31:00 pm »

Follow Feyri downwards to the next level and head to the generator. Power down the level above and restore power to the generator level.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2937 on: May 19, 2012, 10:55:55 pm »

Acquiesce to moving downwards.

But REACTIVATE JIM.

You push Bishop out of the way and begin messing with Jim's innards, trying to reactivate him. [Aux:4]  You navigate through menus and commands you're not quite sure what do and guess your way along till the "reactivate" option shows up. You press it with forceful resolve and Jim jerks as his body reanimates. He stands up from where he was dumped and then looks at his arms, which are still frozen in place.

"I think you might have made a mistake."

Follow Feyri downwards to the next level and head to the generator. Power down the level above and restore power to the generator level.
Bishop sighs at Feyri's mechanical incompetence and then heads back into the elevator shaft and down to the generator room. He shuts down the power to the upper level and activates it to his current level. The lights buzz for a moment before flickering to life. 

Zako

• Bay Watcher
  • YEEEEAAAAHHHH!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2938 on: May 19, 2012, 11:15:29 pm »

"Alright, power is up for my level. Come on down and we'll check this place out. Jim, stay still and I'll come give you a hand."

Head back up and fix Jim's arms. Glare at Feyri for messing around with computers that she doesn't know how to use.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2939 on: May 20, 2012, 12:35:14 am »

'We might be better off keeping his arms disabled,' Charro thought, but wasn't about to say so outloud in front of Jim. Instead he gets ready to move on, tucking the book under one arm and gripping his rifle.
"Simple and odd indeed."

>Get ready to head down to the next level.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 [196] 197 198 ... 1256