Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1256

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Original Thread: Rules, Armory, Misson archive 1-11)  (Read 3937664 times)

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette:Mission 9: Screwed and Mutinous
« Reply #14565 on: June 12, 2013, 11:41:15 am »

((We might have fluorine in the lab at base, but likely only a smallish amount for lab activity, so that's out. And you can breathe pure oxygen, if the pressure is right, it's what's used in space suits. Side note: You can also breathe liquid PFCs and live (dissolved oxygen in them works fine in your lungs), but it's understandably unpleasant.

And we don't know for sure if the structure has the oxygen. As I read it, the structure of the thing is whatever that orange liquid crystallized into. For all we know, it might have vented the oxygen, or it has it bottled up internally and is using it for power, or any number of things.))
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #14566 on: June 12, 2013, 11:46:48 am »

"What."

Go find miyamoto or flint.
You regroup with Miyamoto.

if parisbre's legs exist: go back and grab them before dragging him back to base.
If parisbre's legs got vaporized: drag paris back to base, read roboleg installation manual if theres time.

You head back over and look for Flint's legs, but can't find them. You shrug.

"Another pair of limbs lost to the void."

You walk over to flint, prepared to drag him home when you notice a problem. His exosuit. That thing weighs a ton. Maybe a literal ton. Dragging him back with that on will be...well...rather hard.

((I'd expect Miyamoto's group to occupy different hexes, if not spread out in an arc. Not only were some people using rocketpods to get away, I'd also expect them to not all be running in the same direction. But maybe that's just me being optimistic.

Also Morul, you're lucky it's not me watching over you. Because I'd shoot.))

Ah, so that's where we see the first dissonance of the creators. With a lame eraser too. What was the official term for this. Done with a left buttock? Or was it simply an ass job?
Not only did they completely fail at erasing, they also did a pretty hilarious job at portraying Algis. To think that he would be catching the missiles himself... well, let's make too much fun of the oversmoked imagination of these guys. It could have been worse.

Wait, was it his images on those hotdrop shuttles that time...don't remember, maybe.

Examine the images. Why would they be scratched out? Are they thematically different, or perhaps artistically.
Does Algis appear to have been drawn from a model? Do the worshipers?
Are there any other details scratched out or contradicting?

The images that were scratched out are artistically different, clearly drawn by someone other then the one who drew the image that wasn't scratched out. But as per why it was scratched out, you really can't say. It doesn't seem that different from the other images. In fact the worshiper looks nigh identical. It doesn't seem like algis was drawn from a model; at least you see no evidence that conclusively points to that. Nor do you see any other details that have been expunged or contradict each other.

((I meant 'on a diagonal'.))

Keep on moving through the head-voice zone and onward, going around if I feel any effects. Once around the zone, commence rock-throwing if nothing out of the ordinary is in the next zone.
You walk until you hear something. A faint whispering. You take a few steps back the way  you came. The sound gets louder. You try walking in other directions but the sound keeps getting louder no matter which way you go.

You unstrap Morul and keep your laser finger pointed at him.

"Up we go. Nice and easy. Gonna go put you down in the ai core. With the computer. The one that we need to live. Put you, the traitor, down there.

Great idea, right?"
((To be entirely fair, that's one unarmed traitor versus a (nominal) guard and a hardened AI core with self-defense laser turrets.))

Also Morul, you're lucky it's not me watching over you. Because I'd shoot.))
((Who said I won't? I just have options other than "shoot to kill". ^_^))

"Hold it! Стоять, тупица!"

Blast the corridor ahead of Morul full-stream, electrifying the metal walls and floor of the passage so he can't run off. Failing that, try to nail him in the leg with a short pulse, shocking him without puncturing his suit with the laser.

"I said you're an asset to repairing the shuttle, but until I've got the go-ahead, you are to be detained! Need I remind you that half the people out there still want your head on a pike? If you want that to change, stop trying to make people shoot you!"
(I know, But I can't resist the urge to give people trouble.)

[con:6]
You shoot the escaping prisoner in the right foot. He yelps and starts hopping around so you shoot him in the left foot and he crumples to the ground. You walk over to him and start poking him, yelling "Hey. Stop it. STOOOOOOP IIIIIIT."

"...Well shit, now what do we do?"

Regroup and land with Miyamoto. Slap that idiot with the manipulator up the head for not warning us to what he was going to do.
You wander back over to miyamoto and slap Michael upside the head.

"You wanna give us a bit of a heads up before you do something potentially omnicidal?"

Lukas turns around, suprised that nothing has happened.

"Oh...Well."

He contacts Miyamoto: "So...What's our plan now, chief?"

Walk back to base
"Yeah, well, good luck with that crap, everyone."

You start walking back toward base, taking the long way around.

I do enjoy the fact that you guys are already planning how to store it before you've even figured out how to beat it.

Map link, again.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wvvfviqlvkl3i9t/overall%20map.png

Tavik Toth

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh dear....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14567 on: June 12, 2013, 11:49:03 am »

"So, what do we do now?"

follow any orders miyamoto gives.

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14568 on: June 12, 2013, 12:14:19 pm »

((Hey, you should always divide the skin of an unkilled bear. There's even a proverb that says that.

Also, I forgot to mention that I had gotten so used to roleplaying and us doing what we said we were doing, I've completely forgot how the system actually works. I'm talking about Anton's Conventional check when shooting Morul, and the resulting overshoot. Ah, reminds me of the early days when that happened every day.))

Okay, then. Let's take a look at that Emar-i guy. Or whatever his name was. Son of Algis.

Wake Zephyris up.

"Hey, the fun seems to have stopped. Surprisingly, nobody died."
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 02:59:38 pm by Thearpox »
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #14569 on: June 12, 2013, 01:15:12 pm »

((HMRC members are nothing if not practical.

Why is everyone looking at me like that?))
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14570 on: June 12, 2013, 01:23:11 pm »

((We might have fluorine in the lab at base, but likely only a smallish amount for lab activity, so that's out. And you can breathe pure oxygen, if the pressure is right, it's what's used in space suits. Side note: You can also breathe liquid PFCs and live (dissolved oxygen in them works fine in your lungs), but it's understandably unpleasant.

And we don't know for sure if the structure has the oxygen. As I read it, the structure of the thing is whatever that orange liquid crystallized into. For all we know, it might have vented the oxygen, or it has it bottled up internally and is using it for power, or any number of things.))
((Actually, Spacesuits use up to 60% oxygen, not 100%. That would make the risk of DeCompression sickness to big. They already need to prepare almost 2 hours before suiting up.))

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14571 on: June 12, 2013, 04:18:21 pm »

Get out of the exosuit. Ask someone to take it and me back to base.

"I've got a sample of that orange goo. Anybody want to analyze it or should I keep it for the sword? And when are you going to bring my legs back?"

((And damn. My legs. Well, I guess it could had been worse.))
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 05:40:31 pm by Parisbre56 »

MutzelRX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14572 on: June 12, 2013, 05:29:50 pm »

Wake up

"So they actually beat that crystal? The base is safe?"
In case of emergency:
Scream. Break glass. Bleed to death.
-----
ER: Suicide bombing with miniature suns against living crystalline skyscraper-battleships

Thearpox

• Bay Watcher
  • Failure isn't allowed until it's mandatory.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14573 on: June 12, 2013, 05:49:47 pm »

"No, but they managed to stay alive, which is more than I expected. One of the guys went crazy on manipulators and slightly ticked the crystal, but they've all managed to escape the blast, and it doesn't seem like the crystal is mad on pursuit. And now they regrouped and licking their hides. Oh, and Flint lost his legs. I suppose we'll be moving out soon, not yet sure where. I was honestly more interested in reading this book than in that mess over there. No organisation, all chaos, the opposite of what you want a military operation to look."
Why are 100% of my posts in ER? I already have another account. Created this one specifically for playing.

Not online every Friday evening till Saturday night. If I am listed as online, I am still not online, as my computer has an annoying habit of waking up to the tiniest distraction and then going off to sleep again.

List of links to charts and graphs here. Work in progress. Check it out?

Corsair

• Bay Watcher
  • New Zeland giveth, New Zeland taketh away
    • View Profile
« Reply #14574 on: June 12, 2013, 06:29:14 pm »

((Missed me so Ill assume that I am with Miyamoto))
((On the idea of a hyper velocity gun could we just get a bunch of people firing amped-up Gauss rifles at it through a fast zone))
"So what now? Also I call dibs on piece of it is available"
So it was like a binary search, except the question is "Has the input been brutally murdered?", and it only ever returns True.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14575 on: June 12, 2013, 06:55:32 pm »

"OW! FUCK! THE HELL MAN! Now think! Where the hell would I run? Hrmm? What could I possibly gain by running? Hrmm? I'm not stupid you know."

Assess damage to suit, if any.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #14576 on: June 12, 2013, 07:05:21 pm »

((Actually, Spacesuits use up to 60% oxygen, not 100%. That would make the risk of DeCompression sickness to big. They already need to prepare almost 2 hours before suiting up.))

((You've got that reversed, if space suits were to use anything but pure oxygen, there would be two issues: Decompression sickness (dissolved inert gasses, usually nitrogen) forming bubbles in your blood (the fact that they use pure oxygen is why they prebreathe for about 2 hours, to flush the inert gasses from their blood, having anything but pure oxygen would ruin that), and the fact that the required pressure would make a soft space suit even more difficult to use.

Generally, to supply enough oxygen for respiration, a spacesuit using pure oxygen must have a pressure of about 32.4 kPa (240 Torr; 4.7 psi), equal to the 20.7 kPa (160 Torr; 3.0 psi) partial pressure of oxygen in the Earth's atmosphere at sea level, plus 5.3 kPa (40 Torr; 0.77 psi) CO
2 and 6.3 kPa (47 Torr; 0.91 psi) water vapor pressure, both of which must be subtracted from the alveolar pressure to get alveolar oxygen partial pressure in 100% oxygen atmospheres, by the alveolar gas equation. The latter two figures add to 11.6 kPa (87 Torr, 1.7 psi), which is why many modern spacesuits do not use 20.7 kPa (160 Torr; 3.0 psi), but 32.4 kPa (240 Torr; 4.7 psi) (this is a slight overcorrection, as alveolar partial pressures at sea level are slightly less than the former). In spacesuits that use 20.7 kPa, the astronaut gets only 20.7 kPa − 11.7 kPa = 9.0 kPa (68 Torr; 1.3 psi) of oxygen, which is about the alveolar oxygen partial pressure attained at an altitude of 1,860 m (6,100 ft) above sea level. This is about 78% of normal sea level pressure, about the same as pressure in a commercial passenger jet aircraft, and is the realistic lower limit for safe ordinary space suit pressurization which allows reasonable capacity for work.

1 atmosphere at sea level is about 14.7 psi, so the pure oxygen allows a much, much lower pressure required.

And, to quote the NASA website itself:
The space suit, called the Extravehicular Mobility Unit or EMU, uses 100 percent oxygen instead of air. When a crewmember does a spacewalk, the suit is pressurized to about 1/3 of atmospheric pressure. The amount of oxygen contained in air at this pressure is not adequate, thus requiring the use of pure oxygen. Each EMU has two oxygen tanks (similar to scuba diving tanks) that work with a carbon dioxide removal system to allow a 6 to 8.5 hour spacewalk. Without the ability to remove carbon dioxide, the oxygen in the tanks would run out more quickly, because much would be tied up in exhaled gas. The amount of oxygen consumed, and carbon dioxide produced by a crewmember is dependent on his/her metabolic rate. The life support system holds other things that get consumed during a spacewalk as well. These include a battery and cooling water. These too allow a 6 to 8.5 hour spacewalk.
))
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:13:57 pm by PyroDesu »
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #14577 on: June 12, 2013, 07:10:36 pm »

"OW! FUCK! THE HELL MAN! Now think! Where the hell would I run? Hrmm? What could I possibly gain by running? Hrmm? I'm not stupid you know."
((Well, I wouldn't call disobeying the orders of an armed, possibly deranged (it's the HMRC after all) and definitely dangerous (again HMRC) man who's pointing his gun at you and yelling at you very smart.))

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14578 on: June 12, 2013, 07:24:28 pm »

((Well, I wouldn't call disobeying the orders of an armed, possibly deranged (it's the HMRC after all) and definitely dangerous (again HMRC) man who's pointing his gun at you and yelling at you very smart.))
((Not my fault all the characters are impulsive.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

Unholy_Pariah

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:LOOTING:MANDATORY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14579 on: June 12, 2013, 07:25:48 pm »

Sorry buddy but your legs are kicking cupids ass right now.
As for that exosuit, your probably need to have miyamoto carry it.

return paris to sickbay then download roboprosthesis instruction manual to pda and begin reading it while i take the goop sample to storage.

((Hey piecewise, if i were to strap moruls gauss rifle onto a remote controlled mechanical arm or something and bolt it to a mini-shuttle i could use aux rolls to operate it and ignore my conventional weapons penalty right?))
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 07:49:15 am by Unholy_Pariah »
Clearly running multiple missions at the same time is a terrible idea.  The epic battle to see which team can cock it up worse has escalated again.

And Larry kinda gets blueballed in all this; just left with a raging bone spear and no where to put it.
Pages: 1 ... 970 971 [972] 973 974 ... 1256